Best of Chester

hahninator

I thought about doing a download in 2018 of the best Chester performances, either live or studio... demo, anything. Literally anything he's ever sung.

What do you all think some of his best live performances ever are?

Let Down 2005 is for sure my favorite one.

Could go on for years about live recordings and this song or that song live. I also REALLY love him singing Sex Type Thing by STP.

The Messenger, Madrid 2010. It was such an amazing performance of that song.

There are many more...Numb at KROQ 2010 for instance is another one that comes to mind...

I would have to probably write them down and go through some videos, but I just listened to that performance of The Messenger yesterday so it's still fresh in my mind right now.

There are A LOT of amazing stuff from Chester, so it's pretty hard to choose.

I was watching the Rock am Ring 2007 performance today and damn Chester was on fire! Faint from that show is my favorite performance of that song.

That is definitely one of the best Faint performances of all time. The outro is otherworldly.

Edited by Geki

My list. And I love how it ends with Primo. You could switch it up any way you like, but Primo should be the final track, IMO. A flawless performance from Chester on that track and the lyrics are so powerful now with the whole ''Just carry on and miss me when I'm gone, Don't let anyone take my place, Take my place...'' Also the line of ''Tell them I couldn't help myself, and tell them I was alone''. Pretty haunting shit but so relevant...

01. Let Down (Vegas 2009 Acoustic Version)

02. Morning After (Vegas 2009 Acoustic Version)

03. Walking In Circles (Studio Version)

04. One Step Closer (Auburn 2007)

05. Crawling (One More Light Live Version)

06. A Place For My Head (Rock AM Ring 2004)

07. Lying From You (Studio Version)

08. Faint (Rock AM Ring 2007)

09. Breaking The Habit (Edgefest Live Piano Version 2008 (Toronto))

10. QWERTY (Summer Sonic 2006)

11. Given Up (Studio Version)

12. Leave Out All The Rest (One More Light Live Version)

13. Shadow Of The Day (Studio Version)

14. What I've Done (Studio Version)

15. The Little Things Give You Away (Atlanta 2007 or Mansfield 2007, both have a speech)

16. Waiting For The End (Rio Social 2012)

17. Iridescent (Studio Version)

18. The Catalyst (Arendal 2011)

19. The Messenger (Madrid 2010 or Los Angeles 8/31/11)

20. Lost In The Echo (Summer Sonic 2013)

21. Final Masquerade (Acoustic Studio Version)

22. A Line In The Sand (Vegas 2015 or Blizzcon 2015)

23. Nobody Can Save Me (Studio Version)

24. Talking To Myself (Sopron 2017)

25. Heavy (One More Light Live Version)

26. One More Light (Jimmy Kimmel 2017)

27. Morei Ski (Studio Version)

28. Soul Song (Studio Version)

29. My December (Songs From The Underground Version)

30. Whole Lotta Love (Live, highest quality one)

31. Pushing Me Away (Summer Sonic 2006)

32. What We Don't Know (Unreleased Demo 2007)

33. Keys To The Kingdom (Studio Version)

34. Powerless (Studio Version)

35. Primo (2010 Demo)

Edited by Geki

My list.

01. Let Down (Vegas 2009 Acoustic Version)

02. Morning After (Vegas 2009 Acoustic Version)

04. One Step Closer (Auburn 2007)

05. Crawling (One More Light Live Version)

06. A Place For My Head (Rock AM Ring 2004)

07. Lying From You (Live In Texas)

08. Faint (Rock AM Ring 2007)

09. Breaking The Habit (Edgefest Live Piano Version 2008 (Toronto))

10. Numb (KROQ 2010)

11. Given Up (Montreal Full Scream Version 2008)

12. Leave Out All The Rest (One More Light Live Version)

13. Shadow Of The Day (Madison Square Garden 2008)

14. What I've Done (Los Angeles 3/4/2008)

15. The Little Things Give You Away (Atlanta 2007 or Mansfield 2007, both have a speech)

16. Waiting For The End (Rio Social 2012)

17. Iridescent (Moscow 2011)

18. The Catalyst (Arendal 2011)

19. The Messenger (Madrid 2010 or Los Angeles 8/31/11)

20. Lost In The Echo (Summer Sonic 2013)

21. Final Masquerade (Los Angeles 10/24/14)

22. A Line In The Sand (Vegas 2015 or Blizzcon 2015. Maybe Beijing 2015 if good quality)

23. Nobody Can Save Me (Krakow 2017)

24. Talking To Myself (Sopron 2017)

25. Heavy (One More Light Live Version)

26. One More Light (Jimmy Kimmel 2017)

27. Morei Ski (Studio Version)

28. Soul Song (Studio Version)

29. Home Sweet Home (Studio Version)

30. Whole Lotta Love (Live, highest quality one)

All that is an amazing list! and shows what an incredible versatile talent Chester was, I don't know of many people who can sing songs like Heavy and One Step Closer in the same set... His Grey Daze stuff was great too, and EXTREMELY underrated. as well as he was a beast singing covers. The stuff from OOA could've been better, but it still shows how incredibly versatile Chester was. If Chester isn't in the running for best singer of all time, then those people obviously don't know music

All that is an amazing list! and shows what an incredible versatile talent Chester was, I don't know of many people who can sing songs like Heavy and One Step Closer in the same set... His Grey Daze stuff was great too, and EXTREMELY underrated. as well as he was a beast singing covers. The stuff from OOA could've been better, but it still shows how incredibly versatile Chester was. If Chester isn't in the running for best singer of all time, then those people obviously don't know music

Thanks man. I agree with everything you said. I did edit my list a bit from my OP because I tweaked it up more. Grey Daze had some really good songs. I chose Morei Sky and Soul Song because they both were so emotional and strong vocally for me. Really good tracks. I chose the acoustic live versions of Let Down and Morning After because I felt like they are better than OOA. I would have chose that for Walking In Circles as well but it was never released, so I just chose the studio version. It's too good of a song to not be on there. Those are the best DBS songs, IMO. I might throw In The Darkness on there, too, or Give Me Your Name, but probably just those 3.

I also think those are all great LP performances. I tried to choose a mix of live and studio. Some are good live, like Given Up, but it can't compete with the studio version. I put all of his epic screams on there - Qwerty, Given Up, Faint, Keys To The Kingdom, APFMH. I also chose a lot of beautiful singing moments, like My December and PMA piano live versions, as well as BTH from Toronto 2008, which was also piano version, very beautiful.

Edited by Geki

Thanks man. I agree with everything you said. Grey Daze had some really good songs. I chose Morei Sky and Soul Song because they both were so emotional and strong vocally for me. Really good tracks. I chose the acoustic live versions of Let Down and Morning After because I felt like they are better than OOA. I would have chose that for Walking In Circles as well but it was never released, so I just chose the studio version. It's too good of a song to not be on there. Those are the best DBS songs, IMO. I might throw In The Darkness on there, too, or Give Me Your Name, but probably just those 3.

I also think those are all great LP performances. I tried to choose a mix of live and studio. Some are good live, like Given Up, but it can't compete with the studio version. I put all of his epic screams on there - Qwerty, Given Up, Faint, Keys To The Kingdom, APFMH. I also chose a lot of beautiful singing moments, like My December and PMA piano live versions, as well as BTH from Toronto 2008, which was also piano version, very beautiful.

Yeah. Toronto 2008 was great, That Given Up scream from Montreal was otherworldly... APFMH from Rock am Ring is good, but I'd choose Los Angeles 2003 over it, Go and listen to the AUD from that one... Fucking ridiculous.

Yeah. Toronto 2008 was great, That Given Up scream from Montreal was otherworldly... APFMH from Rock am Ring is good, but I'd choose Los Angeles 2003 over it, Go and listen to the AUD from that one... Fucking ridiculous.

I'll download it now. This is good. I think this can be a cool project if we all post about what we think is the best stuff. The final product will probably be badass. Hahninator, what else do you like besides Let Down 2005 and Sex Type Thing?

Maybe we should make the whole thing 50 tracks. That way we can include most of it.

Edited by Geki

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've been working on something. It's a 21 song mix, just under 80 minutes, so it fits on a CD. What I did was basically tell Chester's life through songs from various things he has done. I know it sound a little creepy, but trust me, I did this as a tribute to my hero, and I don't care if people think it's creepy. I listen to it and like it, but I wanted to share it, and why I chose the tracks that I did.

---Chester's early life---

01. Crawling (Studio Version)

02. Easier To Run (Studio Version)

03. Halfway Right (Studio Version)

I chose these particular tracks because they really talk about things that Chester went through in his earlier years of life. I hate to talk about it, but the sexual abuse, the pain from that, and wanting to just ''escape'' as he has said. Crawling talks about the fear and pain, while Easier To Run talks about numbing the pain so he didn't have to feel, which is about himself abusing drugs and alcohol to numb the pain and escape, as he has said he did in his teen years. Halfway Right is a bit more light hearted, but not by much. In the verses, Chester talks about a young version of himself, most likely his teens. I could have put it later on, but I like it here, because it gives us a sense of his younger self, even though it's almost a looking back on himself lyrical approach.

---Marrying Samantha and the early years of Linkin Park---

04. Forever (Live & Unreleased 1997) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8JBR2bu_dA

05. Breaking The Habit (Studio Version)

I chose both of these here because I really feel like Forever was written about his love for Samantha at the time. He had just married her, his first wife, his first love, and it was performed a year or so after they got married. The lyrics are weird for Chester, but it deals with love, it's almost darkly romantic. And I feel like it fits here. I know it may not even be about that at all, but to me, it is. Breaking The Habit, I put here, because it deals with Chester trying to overcome his addictions in the early years of Linkin Park, something we know he tried and struggled with during those earlier years (2000-2004). Mike wrote the song and Chester broke down crying in the studio to record it in 2002. And 2003 and 2004 saw many hard times for Chester with his addiction, and many good performances of BTH. But it's almost positive in a slight way, because it's dealing with him want to overcome his addiction and be something better.

---His divorced from Samantha and meeting Talinda---

06. Let Down (Live 2005) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Qffb2xhNc

07. TINFOIL/POWERLESS (Studio Version)

08. Given Up (Studio Version)

09. Talking To Myself (Studio Version)

10. In Pieces (Studio Version)

11. Give Me Your Name (Studio Version)

12. What I've Done (Studio Version)

Perhaps the most important part of my tracklisting. Let Down perfectly captures the divorce from Samantha, and the pain and heartbreak from that. It's easily one of his most emotional and heartbreaking performances ever, and this REact Now 2005 version is MUCH better than the studio version, or any other version. It's amazing and captures the emotion so much. I put TINFOIL/POWERLESS after it because I feel like it's also talking about his relationship with Samantha ending. I know it may not be about that, but remember, this is my story in a way. I've always thought it was talking about it, though. Basically dealing with the same thing as Let Down in a way, and we know that she divorced him, so it ties in even more. I put TINFOIL before it because it just goes better with it. Given Up, we know Chester struggled with alcohol and drugs HARDCORE in 2005 and 2006. He also went through very hard times, threatening suicide in 2006, etc. He almost drank himself to death in 2005, etc. Chester said that this song was about that time and how he felt. So there you go. And it also was originally called 21 Stitches, referring to the night in 2006 that is talked about during the BOW show. Talking To Myself, according to Chester, was about how Talinda must have felt watching all of this go down during this timeframe. So it fits perfectly here. In Pieces is Chester coming to terms with the fact that his marriage with Samantha is over and finally time to put that time behind him. He has said the song is directly about her and his divorce from her, so again, fits here. Give Me Your Name is next. Chester married Talinda and he wrote this song for the wedding. So it's about meeting her, marrying her, falling in love with her, and marrying her. Fits perfect once again, and a beautiful performance from Chester, one of his best of all time. What I've Done finally ends this chapter because it's about Chester putting his demons and past behind him, overcoming it all, to rise above and come out new. Fits perfectly here, he is now married to Talinda, his divorced with Samantha is over, Linkin Park made a new album, things are finally going good, he got sober, etc.

---Years after marrying Talinda---

13. The Messenger (Live From Las Vegas, 2011)

14. Tomorrow (Studio Version)

15. Sharp Edges (Studio Version)

Even though there are only a few tracks here, they are very important. The Messenger was written about his children, and leaving them a message for when they grow older. He had kids during these years, so it fits well. I also vastly prefer the live version of this song, and I like the one from ATS Live Around the World, so fuck it. Tomorrow is a deep cut from High Rise, and it fits well into the story. It's clearly about missing his wife and family while he is out touring the world. So it fits once again. Sharp Edges, is Chester reflecting on his life, and applying that to being a Dad in some ways, as he said, you teach your kids things like don't touch a hot stove, etc. He was dealing with fatherhood and he was looking at how he was a kid, etc. Once again, fits. I'm aware that I use songs from all different eras at different times, I didn't think of that, I just did it to tell the story, and I think it's perfect.

---Chester's final years---

16. Heavy (Live Piano Version) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EaV20u7qbA

17. Primo (I'LL BE GONE Demo)

18. Nobody Can Save Me (Studio Version)

19. Leave Out All The Rest (Studio Version)

20. One More Light (Studio Version)

Chester said Heavy was about battling his depression and demons during his final years. Chester started feeling really depressed once more in 2015, according to him, he said all his relationships with everyone were failing, he started drinking again, and he hated life, and he always found himself repeating bad behaviors, which is where the lyrics for Heavy came from. So it kicks off his final years. I chose this version because it's so raw and emotional and perfect. I put Primo next, even though it's a raw demo, the chorus is too good. I think Chester was maybe thinking about the end. And it's really sad and just fits, IMO. You could even apply it to him leaving a message to his bandmates. Who knows, but it's sad and needed to be here. I also think the lyric of ''Tell them I couldn't help myself, and tell them I was alone'' is REALLY dark and very fitting with his final years. Nobody Can Save Me is Chester coming to terms with himself and how things are going to end. I know that's very fucking dark and grim, but it's what I always got from the song. I know a lot of people say it's an optimistic song, but I don't think it is. I thought it was very dark when I first heard it and I still do. It's Chester knowing how it will all end. And the fact that he tried committing suicide in November 2016, many months before he actually did commit suicide, is harrowing. That's why I put the song here. To close it out, I put Leave Out All The Rest and One More Light. Leave Out All the Rest is Chester basically saying goodbye and that he is sorry to his family and friends. It's a final goodbye. Really sad. And even though it was written in 2006/2007, I feel like it REALLY fits with the end of his life. One More Light closes it, and I think we know why. Perfect ending to me, it's not as dark as the two songs before it, but it's still the final goodbye. What do you think?

Edited by Geki

That's very good, sums up his life perfectly! Got chills when I read it, I still miss him so much

Thank you, and me too... still not getting any easier.

However, my mix isn't really a ''best of'' Chester. Just his story through songs, at least to me. I will post what I think a new best of would be, a live version and a studio version later today. My old list wasn't that good and I've recently made them. Some people might not like them because I chose to only focus on LP. But I'll make one in the next week that has nothing by LP. Just Chaz stuff. It was too hard for me to combine everything he has done, because there is so much.

EDIT: Here they are. This is my live compilation, I'll share the studio one after. Now, some people might ask, why isn't NCSM on there? That's because I prefer the studio version. Some songs, I prefer the studio version, or the live version for some, etc. So in order to get the full compilation from me, you have to look at both the live compilation and studio one.

Best Of Chester - Live

01. One Step Closer (Live From Tel Aviv, 2010) - I've never heard a better performance of the song. It usually always sounds good, but the screaming in this performance is particularly amazing. Listen to the ''shut up'' part, as well as the outro. I was blown away when I heard this performance and it's always stuck with me.

02. Crawling (Live From Reading, 2003) - This is by far my favorite performance of the song. Chester sings it so good. And I love the crowd interaction that he has during this performance. Captures an early Linkin Park perfectly, IMO.

03. A Place For My Head (Live From Los Angeles, 2003) - Not the best quality, but still decent. Chester's screaming is amazing here. It's so good. Overall, a solid performance. I was going to choose Rock AM Ring 2004 but I think this one is a tad bit better. But you can swap either, really.

04. Pushing Me Away (Live From Summer Sonic, 2006) - They played this version of the song in 2007 and 2008, but the 2006 one was a little different, and much better, at least to me. Chester pours his heart into it and it sounds amazing. One of his best performances, ever. Completely blows away Let Down from 2005 or any performance he has done outside of Linkin Park in terms of vocals. This is a really great track.

05. Lying From You (Live In Texas) - I feel like this is by far the best performance of the song. Great mixing, and it's amazing how Chester can hit those notes. Such a solid performance. Captures that Meteora Tour energy and cranks it up to 100.

06. Faint (Live From Rock AM Ring, 2007) - Wow. This performance is incredible with that Godly outro. I think anyone would agree that this is the best version of the song in terms of vocals. I've seen so many people praise it, including myself.

07. Breaking The Habit (Live From Toronto, 2008) - A very special performance of the song. Mike and Chester performed the song as an all piano version, for the only time ever. Beautiful delivery, and almost haunting at the same time, especially now. Chester was top notch. I was at this show and it was just as beautiful as it sounds during the recording. Chester even mentioned this exact performance of the song during an interview in 2017.

08. Yesternumb (Live From The Grammy's, 2006) - Chester often said this was the greatest moment of his life, in many interviews. Winning a Grammy, and playing with Paul McCartney of The Beatles and Jay-Z isn't too bad, right? I love this performance and it's very important. Had to have it.

09. Qwerty (Live From Summer Sonic, 2006) - If you like Chester's screaming, this is the holy grail. I don't think I need to say too much about it because every fan on this site knows how epic this was. It's something out of this world, and absolutely deserves to be here. This is Chester in A+ form in terms of aggression and energy.

10. Given Up (Live From Montreal, 2008) - Chester completed the 18 second scream at this show, and it sounds the best out of all the shows he did it at, IMO. Solid performance of the song and something that he should be remembered for, being able to do that live, and go right back into the chorus. Wow.

11. Leave Out All The Rest (One More Light Live) - How could I not put this on my list? The epic 2017 version of the song, and in great quality, being on the recently released One More Light Live. So emotional and perfect.

12. Bleed It Out (Live From Mexico City, 2012) - I love this performance of the song. Flawless and has Sabotage. Huge energy. A staple at live shows, how could I not include it?

13. No More Sorrow (Live From Arendal, 2011) - A fan favorite, and a great live song. I couldn't not include it. I love this performance. Arendal 2011 was cited as one of the craziest, rowdiest crowds that the band ever played for. Mike and Chester even say it several times during the show. Solid performance here and great energy. The song always sounded good live, no matter what year, but I just like this one.

14. The Little Things Give You Away (Live From Atlanta, 2007) - One of Chester's most epic vocal performances of all time on this track, and the live version isn't too shabby!!! Sounds great, and a really emotional performance, with the speech, etc. Had to include this, and I think most fans would know why.

15. Blackout (Live From Madison Square Garden, 2011) - A crazy, high energy song, that isn't hard rock or metal. An awesome track. This is my favorite performance of the song for some reason. It just sounds great, whether it's the DSP mix or the Ethan Mates mix from the BITS single. The TV mix even sounds decent. Overall, a solid performance of the song, IMO. My favorite live song from ATS, Chester does great.

16. The Messenger (Live From Madrid, 2010) - I said earlier in a separate post that I liked the version from A Thousand Suns - Live Around the World, but that's just because it's an official release and it's easy for me to look up when I want to play it. Madrid 2010 was the best performance of the song, hands down. I don't really like the studio version of this song, but the live version is INCREDIBLE to me. Always loved it. And I think Madrid 2010's performance is perfect.

17. Lost In The Echo (Live From Summer Sonic, 2013) - The best performance of the song by far. Chester was in top form here. The singing and screaming is great. Huge energy, the band was on fire in 2013. Couldn't not include this, and also my favorite live performance of a song from Living Things.

18. A Line In The Sand (Live From BlizzCon, 2015) - Many people consider BlizzCon to be a shitty show. It kind of was. However, I feel like the performance of ALITS from the show is by far the best one. Listen for yourself. The intro sounded epic here, Chester was on point strangely, and it was just solid to me. It also had Brad, which the Rock on the Range show didn't. Sounds great to me, and HQ.

19. Talking To Myself (Live From Sopron, 2017) - I chose the pro-shot audio over the official release on One More Light Live here. I feel like it sounds better. But either could work. Chester nailed this performance of the song, and I've seen many people say they prefer the live version of this song. I do too. A+ performance.

20. One More Light (Live From Jimmy Kimmel, 2017) - Such a heartbreaking performance... You can tell that Chester was clearly disturbed by Chris Cornell's death the night before, and Mike even said that. However, the song sounded amazing here. Chester put his raw, emotional talent into this performance and it shows. That scream is amazing. I feel like it's a good way to end out the compilation.... RIP Chester.

Best Of Chester - Non-LP Work

01. Let Down (Live From REact Now, 2005)

02. Give Me Your Name (Studio Version)

04. In The Darkness (Studio Version)

05. Morning After (Live From Las Vegas, 2009) (LPU9 Exclusive Track)

06. Sex Type Thing

07. Dead & Bloated

08. Down

09. Plush

10. Creep

11. Morei Sky

12. The Down Syndrome

13. Soul Song

14. Commit (Live From Rally Kaps Sports Bar, 1994)

15. Forever (Live From Electric Ballroom, 1997)

16. 20 Eyes (B.O.W. Version) (Live From Tempe, 2006)

17. Slow Ya Roll (Studio Version)

18. System (Studio Version)

19. Whole Lotta Love (K.O.C. Version) (Live From Boston, 2016)

20. Riders On The Storm (Studio Version)

Here are my reasons for the tracklisting.

For the DBS tracks, all of those are very solid songs, IMO, and feature great vocals from Chester. Let Down from 2005 is one of the best performances he has ever done in his career. Give Me Your Name and In The Darkness feature some of his best singing ever recorded, a lot of people who aren't hardcore fans of Chester might not even know he can sing like that, especially on Give Me Your Name, which is a beautiful song. Morning After from Las Vegas is just simply amazing. I love how it sounds as an acoustic track and it's live, great quality, I think it's the best version, with the Julien-K 2005 remix coming close behind. Just don't love the studio version of Morning After that much. It's good but not as good as those, IMO. Walking In Circles is probably my favorite song of all time so I had to include that. I thought about maybe using a live recording but the studio version is flawless, the one thing Howard Benson didn't fuck up. Haha. So I had to go with it.

So now the STP tracks. These were hard to pick because he had a lot of good performances with them. I chose not to add anything from High Rise because I personally don't think any of those 5 songs are really ''best of'' worthy. Sex Type Thing is an obvious choice, because he NAILS IT. Dead & Bloated, the same. All of the ones that I picked were just really good performances. He sounds badass on Down, I've always loved it. Creep is one of my favorite STP songs and one of my favorite songs of the '90's, so I had to include it, and Chester does a fantastic job on it.

For the Grey Daze tracks, I chose my personal favorites. Morei Sky, The Down Syndrome and Soul Song all have amazing vocals, IMO, and showcase just how talented Chester was at a young age. Good lyrics, too, in all of those songs. I chose the live version of Commit because Chester EXPLODES on it, particularly towards the end of the song. Holy shit, he just goes crazy. People often say that he didn't start screaming until he joined Hybrid Theory, but this will prove them wrong. It's a good song, too, at least to me. Forever is a newly released song to us, but I fell in love with it upon first listen and have been playing it since. Beautiful vocals once again and a haunting melody. I like it.

For the random stuff at the end, they are all epic tracks. Slow Ya Roll is a strange choice probably, but Chester sounds SO good on the outro, OMG. You need to listen to it now if you haven't in a while, because he does some really awesome stuff with his voice that I have not heard anywhere else. System is another great track that Chester was really proud of. Chester talked about it often even into 2017, he would mention the track from time to time. Chester sounds demonic on the track and it's awesome. Some good screaming and a Chester in his prime. I chose the live version of 20 Eyes from B.O.W. because I love it. Straight up punk rock. Mike loved it. Fuck it. Whole Lotta Love is perhaps my favorite live song that Chester has ever done. He kills it. I saw it live in Boston 2016 with Kings Of Chaos. It was unexpected and the first time that he played it with them, and the crowd went nuts, so didn't Chester. I rocked out harder than I ever have. It 100% deserves to be here and the quality is good. Riders On The Storm is a classic song that Chester nails. A good way to close it out.

Edited by Geki