Linkin Park's Future

hahninator

I think Jon Green was basically trying out for the 7th member role (whether unofficially or not) at the show. I have a piece written on him I'll post tomorrow.

What? LOL. Because Brad didn't do a non-LPU M&G after the show, he isn't ready to face the fans? Brad, Rob, and Joe are really shy whereas Chester, Mike, and Dave are the outgoing members of the band. Mike and Chester regularly chill with fans after performances, sign stuff, etc. Brad has always been quiet, just look at him at the LPU M&Gs. The last thing I'd want to do if I was Brad would be to face hundreds of international fans after the show hearing all about Chester from them all, that takes a big emotional toll on someone. It doesn't mean he CAN'T face the fans. Brad doesn't do M&Gs almost at all unless it's via the LPU, which is more than fine and there are no complaints about that.

LP gives way way way more access to their band members than any other big band in the world and that's a 100% fact. Coldplay, U2, Rolling Stones, Muse, Metallica, Foo Fighters, etc. Of all of those, only Metallica does M&Gs and it's 8-10 people a show. LPU M&Gs are regularly 30+, and at all the non-normal concert events, the band signs after and hangs out. See: Jimmy Kimmel, etc.

I didn't mean it as a negative thing. I know those guys are more shy compared to Chester, Mike and Dave. And its ok. I just said that MAYBE it could be an example that shows the band is not a far as expected (at least what I expected).

So I think you are making too big of a deal about this.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just need to say something about those calling this Mike's first time "leading" the band. He was always the Co-Lead Singer from the very beginning. To comment on his voice being shaky or pitchy during the Celebration is being way over critical. His best friend and bandmate just died. He was very emotional and performing all of these songs that Chester should have been singing with him. Will they go on and do new music? Probably. There is NO replacing Chester by any stretch of the imagination.

This unfortunately is not the first time a band has had to deal with losing a member, (see Queen, Alice in Chains, STP); however I feel like they can still come together and make music to #MakeChesterProud.

PS - My Profile Pic is from the last time I got to see them live. Holmdel, NJ 08/18/2014

Edited by JennK

I just need to say something about those calling this Mike's first time "leading" the band. He was always the Co-Lead Singer from the very beginning. To comment on his voice being shaky or pitchy during the Celebration is being way over critical. His best friend and bandmate just died. He was very emotional and performing all of these songs that Chester should have been singing with him. Will they go on and do new music? Probably. There is NO replacing Chester by any stretch of the imagination.

This unfortunately is not the first time a band has had to deal with losing a member, (see Queen, Alice in Chains, STP); however I feel like they can still come together and make music to #MakeChesterProud.

PS - My Profile Pic is from the last time I got to see them live. Holmdel, NJ 08/18/2014

You're right. I meant it as more of, this is his first time doing it alone, but you nailed it when you said he's been co-leading the band forever.

Yep, if AIC, Queen, STP, AC/DC can do it... LP can definitely do it. They're one of the very best bands of our generation to me. Whatever it takes - pop, more reliance on hip hop, etc... any of it.

Honestly - do you guys think Mark Wakefield could come back? I know most people will think of his vocals on the Xero tape, but he sounded actually pretty good on Barack Your World (even though it was a joke song), and he sounded good on The Crow version of Rhinestone. Even sounded cool on Fiends. He is no Chester, but he was the original singer for the band. I don't think it would be a slap in the face to Chester or anything. Mike could work with him to train him up and stuff, he might even be able to handle some of the aggressive songs that people keep talking about, probably not stuff like Given Up or Qwerty, but he probably could handle the other shit. The only people I would want to see become the lead singer are either Mike Shinoda or Mark Wakefield.

You're right. I meant it as more of, this is his first time doing it alone, but you nailed it when you said he's been co-leading the band forever.

Yep, if AIC, Queen, STP, AC/DC can do it... LP can definitely do it. They're one of the very best bands of our generation to me. Whatever it takes - pop, more reliance on hip hop, etc... any of it.

You've got a point. All of what you've said is true.

But.... what do you guys think? IF they continue.... how would they start?

Do you think they would end the OML era with a tour? (I suppose they originally wanted to continue touring in 2018) And then go back to the studio?

If they do it that way, I think there's a chance we will see them in 2018. I don't mean to rush them... but I think it'd be good for the band and the Fans.

Edited by Headstrong0510

You've got a point. All of what you've said is true.

But.... what do you guys think? IF they continue.... how would they start?

Do you think they would end the OML era with a tour? (I suppose they originally wanted to continue touring in 2018) And then go back to the studio?

If they do it that way, I think there's a chance we will see them in 2018. I don't mean to rush them... but I think it'd be good for the band and the Fans.

Judging by their comments, the band seems to not even know at this point. And you can't blame them either - it's only been a few months.

I bet OML cycle is over completely. I think the most logical way forward is to take a break, write an album, and start fresh there. No matter what, the first world tour back will be like a "memorial tour", whether they intend it to be or not. That's a lot to handle emotionally too so I can understand why they wouldn't play until 2019+. For sure, I mean all of us would want to see them in 2018 but I'm not sure how realistic it is. I'm down with whatever they do.

Judging by their comments, the band seems to not even know at this point. And you can't blame them either - it's only been a few months.

I bet OML cycle is over completely. I think the most logical way forward is to take a break, write an album, and start fresh there. No matter what, the first world tour back will be like a "memorial tour", whether they intend it to be or not. That's a lot to handle emotionally too so I can understand why they wouldn't play until 2019+. For sure, I mean all of us would want to see them in 2018 but I'm not sure how realistic it is. I'm down with whatever they do.

I think the OML cycle ended the day Chester took his own life. I think the band obviously had plans to tour the album until about September 2018, and then they were going to go back in the studio and write a new album, like they usually do. That's been the mode of their work for many albums now. But now with what happened, obviously it will have to change. I think the band may start work on a new album starting in 2018, and possibly release it in early 2019 or something. Maybe they'll churn one out sooner and they will release it in 2018, but I just can't see it happening that fast. I think once they make an album, they will tour for it, but it probably won't be as big and epic as past LP tours were. You also have to keep in mind that the band wasn't touring like they were in the 2000's nowadays anyways, even when Chester was alive, they all have kids and families and they are getting older.

So basically, I can see the band making a new album eventually and touring eventually for it. I think a lot of fans seem to think that it's going to be the same it was in the early years of the band, it's not. The ATS, LT, THP and OML cycles were all much smaller in terms of touring than HT, Meteora and MTM tours were, and rightfully so, they all have families, kids, they're getting older, etc.

Like you said Hahninator, they are obviously still crushed by what happened and it really hasn't been all that long if you think about it, it's only November. I think they might take the next few months to kind of regroup and heal a little bit, I think 2018 might be when they start working on a new album.

Well said. It's interesting that they are older and tour less, no doubt, but that they just had the largest European headlining tour in their career. That's pretty cool. And the USA tour is pretty extensive since they have the break in the middle. I think they can make it work where they hit areas really hard but divide it up so it doesn't kill the band. I don't know, it just seems way better than the LT and THP cycles... they actually were all over the continents with the 2017 scheduling. Seemed better to me. Even had damn stadium shows booked. I think OML put new life in them after a break and they were ready to play. That might be the case again in 2019.

Well said. It's interesting that they are older and tour less, no doubt, but that they just had the largest European headlining tour in their career. That's pretty cool. And the USA tour is pretty extensive since they have the break in the middle. I think they can make it work where they hit areas really hard but divide it up so it doesn't kill the band. I don't know, it just seems way better than the LT and THP cycles... they actually were all over the continents with the 2017 scheduling. Seemed better to me. Even had damn stadium shows booked. I think OML put new life in them after a break and they were ready to play. That might be the case again in 2019.

You're right, OML tour was definitely planned out better than the touring cycles for ATS, LT, THP. All I meant is that they aren't going to tour like they did from like 2000-2008. People forget that the MTM cycle had 3 big U.S. Tours, an Asia Tour (was scheduled to have 2 if China 2008 wasn't cancelled), 3 big Europe Tours, a Promo Tour with proper shows, Australia/NZ Tour, etc. It was a big touring cycle. Not as big as HT or Meteora, of course. But the band probably doesn't want to tour like that anymore. I remember an interview with Mike in like 2009 where he said the band was going to scale down on the touring a little bit because the last touring cycle (MTM) exhausted them. That's why I said that. Whenever the band tours again, you're right, I could see it being similar to the OML cycle. I just don't think people should expect HT-MTM touring.

Lol Geki

If someone else joins the band it needs to be someone who is professional Wakefield is just history, dude retired from being a vocalist in 97 I dont see why he would have what it takes to be a profeddinal singer right now.

He was still with Xero in 1998 as well but did he ever really officially ''retire''? I think he just found other business opportunities, like managing Taproot, and System Of A Down later down the line, etc. He sang a track with Mike in 2008, Barack Your World. He also was at the Hollywood Bowl show in 2014. I think he is still friends with Mike. I don't think it will happen anyways, I was just saying a possibility.

• 4 weeks later...

I just want them to take the necesary time to continue, 1 year or more, but also I want to keep listening songs that Mike will create thinking in High notes or screams. For that reason and for keep the most Single songs on tour, my choice for a new member is still Dan Marsala. Great guy, same age, sing beautiful (in live), scream amazing, and the best of all is that he don't have a unique genre in music. Do a lot of stuff (heavy, soft, rock, punk, etc). He fits with the band.

Edited by ceZAR_LP

• 2 months later...

The band should ask Oli Sykes to be the new lead singer for Linkin Park and then start making new music and touring again. Fuck it. He is one of the best vocalists of all time and he can easily do Chester's vocals. Look how epic he sounded on Crawling at the Hollywood Bowl show. He is young, smart and fits the part. He also loved Chester and Linkin Park, going as far as saying they are the reason he ever got into wanting to join a band. I mean cmon. Linkin Park can't die. They need to keep it going and Oli Sykes is the only man for the job.

The band should ask Oli Sykes to be the new lead singer for Linkin Park and then start making new music and touring again. Fuck it. He is one of the best vocalists of all time and he can easily do Chester's vocals. Look how epic he sounded on Crawling at the Hollywood Bowl show. He is young, smart and fits the part. He also loved Chester and Linkin Park, going as far as saying they are the reason he ever got into wanting to join a band. I mean cmon. Linkin Park can't die. They need to keep it going and Oli Sykes is the only man for the job.

He loves the band but I don't know

Prettu sure there's someone else out there who can do better than him

I would like to have Adam from 3DG but I'm sure that they'll get someone who's not from a famous band.

Oli to me was by far the worst guest at the show. I appreciate the effort but he was cringeworthy, to the extreme. He is one of the worst vocalists of our time to me.

I don't think LP will pick up another singer.

Have you listened to all of the Bring Me The Horizon albums? He has a lot of different vocal styles. Their first two albums are pretty intense metal albums, and so isn't their third in a sense, but after that, he started singing and he isn't that bad. I mean he clearly loves the band and what not, that was a big reason why I also said it. Maybe they won't get a new singer after all, but I don't want the band to just fade off into obscurity. Release an album each year of just b-sides then or something to keep it going. They have like over 1000 demos and b-sides in the vaults.

Have you listened to all of the Bring Me The Horizon albums? He has a lot of different vocal styles. Their first two albums are pretty intense metal albums, and so isn't their third in a sense, but after that, he started singing and he isn't that bad. I mean he clearly loves the band and what not, that was a big reason why I also said it. Maybe they won't get a new singer after all, but I don't want the band to just fade off into obscurity. Release an album each year of just b-sides then or something to keep it going. They have like over 1000 demos and b-sides in the vaults.

BMTH is kinda big on their own way, I still prefer rotating guest vocalist for each tour... that would honor Chester and no one will take his place...

is there a case of a band that did that? would be great to pick up Corey, M Shadows, Oli etc when they are available that would be very intereresting.

M Shadows is fantastic, but those guys are in other bands with full time commitments + families. And LP would need someone in the studio. Chester didn't even have enough time to do a side project of STP. DBS hasn't come back since the break after MTM, because they haven't had time.

M Shadows is fantastic, but those guys are in other bands with full time commitments + families. And LP would need someone in the studio. Chester didn't even have enough time to do a side project of STP. DBS hasn't come back since the break after MTM, because they haven't had time.

I just want M Shadows as a tour member when he's available.

Why not Ryan Key then? He is no longer with Yellowcard (he wasn't when the Hollywood Bowl show took place, either), so he most definitely has time to dedicate to being the full time lead singer of Linkin Park, in the studio and live. He always showed respect to Linkin Park since 2007 when they asked Yellowcard to open for them in Japan that year. And he even wrote his own song for Chester that he performed as a solo artist. He can sing pretty damn good and he definitely fits the ''Linkin Park'' persona, IMO. For the songs that have intense screaming, he can either just let the crowd sing those parts since they are so obscure and they don't play the crazy ones like Given Up, KTTK or Qwerty anyways. Who knows, maybe he can even scream, or at least learn how. I remember Chester said once that he never screamed on a song before until Mike showed him how, so he can do the same for Ryan Key if they really wanted to.

Edited by Geki

Why not Ryan Key then? He is no longer with Yellowcard (he wasn't when the Hollywood Bowl show took place, either), so he most definitely has time to dedicate to being the full time lead singer of Linkin Park, in the studio and live. He always showed respect to Linkin Park since 2007 when they asked Yellowcard to open for them in Japan that year. And he even wrote his own song for Chester that he performed as a solo artist. He can sing pretty damn good and he definitely fits the ''Linkin Park'' persona, IMO. For the songs that have intense screaming, he can either just let the crowd sing those parts since they are so obscure and they don't play the crazy ones like Given Up, KTTK or Qwerty anyways. Who knows, maybe he can even scream, or at least learn how. I remember Chester said once that he never screamed on a song before until Mike showed him how, so he can do the same for Ryan Key if they really wanted to.

you are out of your mind