2017.06.22 - Madrid, ES - Download Madrid

We've hit the halfway point! Linkin Park is officially halfway right through their One More Light European Tour, and we're starting to hit some special spots. The band will be performing today in Madrid, Spain for the first time in seven years for Download Madrid!

It has been quite a long time since the band visited Spain. The last show they played with in 2010, at the MTV Video Music Awards, though this show does and doesn't count. Fans weren't invited (and no one went as no one thought it would be a full show), but it was the entire band performing a semi-normal set at the time, though they did drop some of the staple numbers like 'One Step Closer' and 'Given Up.' If you don't call that a real show, then the band's last REAL performance in Madrid was in 2008, when they performed at Festivmad Sur, featuring a really solid setlist featuring 'Cure For The Itch,' 'A Place For My Head,' 'Faint,' and 'One Step Closer' as an encore (god DAMN that's filthy). Five years had passed before the band played that festival - they headlined Madrid in 2003, during the Meteora era. Epic songs like 'Figure.09' and 'P5hng Me A*wy' were featured at that show. This show was actually rescheduled from earlier in the year after Chester had to cancel a European Tour due to having extreme back pains. A show in Barcelona was also cancelled, but never rescheduled. The band's very first visits to Spain were in 2001, amidst the Deftones' 'Back To School' tour. Three shows were played in Spain as Linkin Park joined the tour: Madrid, San Sebastián, and Barcelona. Overall, today's show will be the band's fifth or sixth time in Spain, depending on how you look at it.

It wasn't a formally announced show, but a full proshot is available of the band's show at the MTV Video Music Awards in Madrid 2010. You can watch the full show above, featuring songs like 'When They Come For Me' and 'The Requiem.' Be sure to check out the 2008 show too - that one's massive as well.

We're back on the festival circuit, but the show before this in Amsterdam was the second headlining show of the tour. The band performed at the Ziggo Dome, brining a great set that garnered a lot of positive reviews. 'Battle Symphony' finally returned to the set after six shows of being absent (it's rotation slot with 'Nobody Can Save Me' was either dropped, or 'Nobody' was performed instead), the band gave 'From The Inside' another spin following its tour debut at Hellfest, and Mike rapped a verse of 'A Place For My Head' over the outro of 'Castle Of Glass.' 'Sharp Edges' also returned as the encore opener. It's another unique setlist for the tour, solidifying its place as one of the most varied tours of the band's career. Nearly every show has been different in some way - how will the show in Madrid compare?

At this point, who knows what to expect in Madrid? There are so many factors at this point, it's hard to say what will go down. Will the set be shortened? If so, what will be dropped? What will stay? What will be rotated in? The heavy rotation slot already has four songs in it: 'Somewhere I Belong,' 'Points Of Authority,' 'A Place For My Head,' and 'From The Inside.' Will there be another song, or will the band finally start rotating through these tracks? What verse will go over 'Castle Of Glass?' So far, Mike has done three different verses: 'A Place For My Head,' 'It's Goin' Down,' and 'A Light That Never Comes.' What will come to Madrid? If the band keeps up their two-days per rotation song rule they seem to have been keeping, what should come next is 'Battle Symphony' and 'Somewhere I Belong' (assuming those two rotations are played). What are your thoughts?

Listen to that crowd sing! The chorus pause in 'In The End' really brings everyone together nicely, even if the band is fucking with us on the paper setlists.

Download Madrid has a brief but powerful lineup for today. Before Linkin Park is Five Finger Death Punch, a band who don't deserve a segue. Before them, A Day To Remember performed songs from their latest record Bad Vibrations including 'Naivety' and 'Exposed,' as well the old classics like 'All I Want.' Code Orange opens up the stage, their latest record Forever delivering some really intense tracks - check out my review of it here if you're curious about it. Definitely a wild set if bands for LP to follow up on, but who's gonna stop them? Absolutely no one.

Something to note that's worth mentioning is the fans in Spain are very ready for this show! There was an unofficial Linkin Park fan meetup yesterday at Hard Rock Cafe in Madrid, and it looked like it was pretty sweet! Awesome to see fans coming together for stuff like this. Maybe we should do it, too? ;)

Who's going to the show? For updates, follow us on Twitter and Facebook. After this show, the band will return for Germany for the Hurricane and Southside festivals on the 24th and 25th, respectively. In other LP news, Mike has been spotted wearing some new Fort Minor t-shirts onstage, leading us to believe that something FM related may be in the works.

Check out the rest of Linkin Park's 2017 touring schedule here.

Sadly I couldn't be there, but I know many people in LP Spain so I'm sure they will have fun tonight (hopefully no spanish fan boos them during the show).

Five Finger Death Punch absolutely HATE Linkin Park... :D

What? I honestly never heard a single song from them, are they any good?

Edited by KlaytonShinoda

Listen to that crowd sing! The chorus pause in 'In The End' really brings everyone together nicely, even if the band is fucking with us on the paper setlists.

This is a video of 2014, without the chorus pause ;)

I was there. Hot as f*ck, the festival staff give us some water but a few people on the first 10 rows (where I was) had to leave 'cuz they were sick, we were there around 5 hours before LP show and no one moved (except some ADTR fans but they were very few).

The show was great, Chester in a great shape of voice (some screams were incredible like the one in the Faint outro). Mike smiled all the time so he was having fun there and Brad said a few words in spanish ("hola", "sois maravillosas" ('you are great' but in femenine) and "queréis más música? Si?" ('do you want more Music? Yeah?')).

The lack of the setlist were the drops of OML, the first rotation spot of BS/NCSM and WFTE. But everything was very great. The crowd sung every tune, even the new ones, at least in my area, except for some people saying things When Heavy started.

I recorded some videos, like It's going down over Castle Of Glass and the ending of Papercut.

Edited by Yucker

Crowd looks massive, like 40,000 people. Interesting that they were not the last band but I bet the last one was enjoyable since it was covers. Sounds like a good time.

What's up with When They Come For Me verse 2 before Heavy?

Yep, they were the last "big band" at the Main Stage 1. Other bands kept playing at the other 3 stages and the Ac/dc tribute was the closing band of the day (a dj was playing in some other Stage But my friends and I left after LP to eat AND DRINK something.

WTCFM verse 2 was not exactly a capella. Brad and Mike were jamming, Mike playing the chords of Heavy and Brad doing some finger picking over it. I saw Mike whispering or singing very quietly something I didn't recognized, like for 20 or 25 seconds and laughing after it off mic. Then Heavy started.

A friend found a timetable of all bands that played on thursday with all the setlists and in the LP setlist appears alongside OML and WFTE... A place for my head instead Somewhere I Belong. Also no BS/NCSM was planned for this show.

post-308-0-82893300-1498326673_thumb.jpeg

A friend found a timetable of all bands that played on thursday with all the setlists and in the LP setlist appears alongside OML and WFTE... A place for my head instead Somewhere I Belong. Also no BS/NCSM was planned for this show.

Most interesting thing on this picture: Linkin Park (Nu Metal) :D

Edited by LinkInThePark

Likely just going off of past setlists, no way they'd have the LP setlist so far ahead of showtime that they'd be able to print it out. Probably what, looked at Monza? lol

Don't know, But that sheet is legit (the others bands are the bands that played before and after LP).

The photo was taken by a friend of a friend, and she send it to me today.

Obnoxious guy in the crowd. But 28:10, Mike does rap part of WTCFM verse 2. Sounds like half of it and it's whispering. How did anyone catch that live? lmao

Europe reports to us that it's THE RADIANCE opening the show still and they were able to hear this? Haha

People shouting things to the band were very annoying during the whole show, even when they were playing, so I couldn't hear what Mike was singing/rapping. Maybe in the far back or the 1st row everything was more clear. I was at 5th-6th row (maybe 2 metres behind the guy who recorded the video and a bit to the left, i had that EMP glove close to me), but i was very tired 'cause i was singing and shouting with 5FDP and had no energy left for LP :(