2017.06.17 - Monza, IT - I-Days Milano

We're approaching the midway point of Linkin Park's One More Light European Tour, and it's showing no signs of slowing down. Linkin Park are performing the sixth show of the tour in Monza, Italy at the I-Days Milano festival on June 17!

Italy was one of the last places The Hunting Party World Tour visited, the last show of the last leg in Europe taking place in Rome in 2015. A big finale indeed, opening with a consecutive onslaught of 'Papercut,' 'Given Up,' and 'Rebellion.' Joe was absent from this show due to some family issues back in the States, so his solo medley was dropped from the set. A bit of a tragic story involving a fan gave way to one of the band's most iconic onstage moments: a fan named Alessandro sadly passed away in a car accident before the show, so the band played an impromptu performance of 'A Place For My Head' (his favorite song) as the encore opener in his honor. Earlier on The Hunting Party tour, the band hit Italy again, playing the Alfa Romeo City Sound festival in 2014, playing some songs like 'Guilty All The Same' and 'Until It's Gone' which were fresh out of the oven at the time.

This show in Monza will be the band's fifth time performing in (or around) Milan. The first time the band performed there was in 2001, opening for the Deftones on their 'Back To School' Tour. The band returned later in the year to play a show for MTV Live. Neither of the setlists for these shows are known, so if you have any information beyond what we have, do let us know! The band returned in 2003, kicking off the Meteora World Tour in Milan on the LP Underground Tour. The setlist saw the debut of many songs off of Meteora, including ultra rare tracks like 'Easier To Run' and 'Hit The Floor.' This show holds the record for the most live debuts in the band's history at one show, with a whopping eight songs from Meteora being performed for the first time. That show was the last show there until the 2014 show.

Take it back to the Hybrid Theory days with this old-school performance of 'By Myself' at the band's MTV Live show in Milan 2001.

This entire tour has really been something special. Pretty much every setlist on the tour has been different: the tour debut in Paris and the next show in Prague saw the full set performed without an encore break, an intimate moment with the song 'One More Light' happening in Prague as Mike spoke about his uncle Kenji who had recently passed away; the first headline show of the tour in Berlin saw the live debuts of 'Nobody Can Save Me' and 'Sharp Edges,' with 'Points Of Authority' making a return to the set, along with a brand new acapella version of 'One More Light' opening the set and 'It's Goin' Down' being rapped over the outro of 'Castle Of Glass,' making it the song's first appearance since 2008; the show at NovaRock in Austria seeing a shortened set; and at the Impact Festival in Poland, the most recent show, 'Nobody Can Save Me' saw its festival debut and the band added in 'A Place For My Head' after seeing the results of Mike's Twitter poll (and 'A Light That Never Comes' being rapped over 'Castle Of Glass,' making it the song's first appearance since 2014). If only we had some live recordings from this tour... Sadly, no sources have surfaced yet.

Phew. Let's take a moment to absorb all of that. We're only six shows into the tour, and we've already seen more distinct setlists than we saw on the entire Hunting Party tour. Let that sink in for a second. The band clearly has a new mentality when it comes to the sets now, and it's really looking awesome. There's not two entirely different sets, but instead a few spots of the setlist that rotate every few shows (as it is now, it seems positions change every two shows). One rotation slot is mid-set, 'Battle Symphony' and 'Nobody Can Save Me' being switched. The other is a heavy rotation near the end of the set, with 'Somewhere I Belong,' 'Points Of Authority,' and 'A Place For My Head' currently in rotation there. 'Sharp Edges' is added to the encore of headlining shows. It's uncertain if the 'One More Light' intro will stick around, so we'll look passed that one for now. It would be great to get a few more songs into rotation - some of you had some great ideas, like at the positions where 'Wastelands' is at and at the position 'Crawling' is in. The 'Wastelands' spot would be a great place for some heavy, early-set rotations like 'No More Sorrow' and 'Rebellion' - we gotta get some more Hunting Party representation into the mix. 'Crawling' could be a fun place that can be put together pretty quickly, playing a random acoustic/piano version at every show, opening up possibilities like 'My December' and 'Pushing Me Away' to be brought into play. So many possibilities, so little time! Maybe we can see some more changes introduced when the band comes to North America this summer after they rehearse some more.

What do you think would be a good opportunity for a rotation spot in the setlist? With this format, anything's possible, so go wild! For Milan, based on the two-show rule, we're guessing we see 'Battle Symphony' and 'A Place For My Head' performed. Mike, if you're reading this, you might want to bookmark this post so you can get some ideas next time you're in rehearsals. We have some fun ideas, and we know you like those ;)

Watch the tour debut of 'A Place For My Head' in Poland from the last show. Fun fact - you can hear Mike singing when Chester starts screaming the bridge, which is an element of the song that was present in the demo version 'Esaul,' which you can hear on the LPU 11 CD.

As far as festival lineups go, this one is pretty damn epic. We have some pseudo-Blinkin Park action going on with Blink-182 playing before Linkin Park. Their set features plenty of songs from their latest record California and many classics like 'Dammit' and 'All The Small Things.' Will we see an onstage collaboration happen? Who knows. In the same punk ballpark as Blink, Sum 41 goes on before them as they tour for their newest record 13 Voices. New songs from the album can be heard as well as classics like 'In Too Deep.' A newer band on the block (but a fantastic one all the same), Nothing But Thieves go on before them, with Sick Tamburo and Linoleum opening the day.

EDIT: A webcast will be happening in one hour! This will be a delayed webcast (so if any surprises happen we'll probably already know about it), but it will be proshot footage of the entire show. It starts at the top of the hour (countdown here), so don't miss out! There will be brief intermissions every few songs for an adbreak, but nothing should be cut as far as we know. We'll be covering the entire thing on social media, so follow us there!

Stream Link: https://www.idays.it/it/idays-channel

Who's going to the show? We'll keep you updated on any changes in the set, so be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates. Add our Snapchat too. After this show, the band returns to France for another show, this time at the Hellfest. After Hellfest comes the next headlining show of the tour in Amsterdam, so be on the look out for updates from that, too.

Check out the rest of Linkin Park's 2017 touring schedule here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great proposal. I don't know how willing they are to keep rotating right NOW in Europe since it is such a mix of festivals and a few headlining shows, but once the USA tour starts they can hit the ground running if they want. I'm already pleased with the sets, I don't really require anything else except maybe a third rotation spot for the NCSM/BS spot so they can run the USA tour with 3 setlists.

Play whatever you want. I mean we can sit all day and say we want Powerless played but if they don't want to do it, it's useless. But rotating these spots would be good and your ideas are very practical. Wastelands is arguably the worst song in the current setlist, too.

- Wastelands spot w/ Rebellion and insert song here. A Line in the Sand is what I want. It seems hard for them to play that song, especially compared to the new material, so they might not want to get back into that one. Wastelands, Rebellion, No More Sorrow is cool.

- Piano spot. Crawling piano, My December piano, Pushing Me Away piano. Now that's cool. PMA piano has been gone for so long it's a welcome song to bring back to the piano slot. I like it.

- Somewhere I Belong, Points, A Place For My Head. This is great. I like it and I am completely fine if it's random or they rotate them in a row. SIB, POA, APFMH each show for 3 shows, rinse, repeat, OR if they do POA for 5 shows in a row, then 2 APFMH, 1 SIB, 4 more APFMH, 1 POA, 3 SIB, etc (true randomness). Doesn't matter to me.

And Mike's rap verses are getting creative over Castle. He obviously enjoys it a lot and we might see some truly great verses appear. It's Goin' Down is fantastic.

Lastly, I want to say the energy on APFMH is massive. Mike is EXPLODING. Chester really in fine form. They drop the song a lot so it makes me think at least one or two band members don't enjoy playing it. I don't want it to be a forced song. Maybe if it's in every show setlist it would get old for them. Whatever it takes to keep APFMH fresh....do it. One in every 4-5 shows is fine if that's what it takes. Great, great live song.

What I really like is that they have finally started rotating songs/sets again and it's ALREADY more interesting than THP touring cycle - the entire thing. Let's see what else happens, they might feel re-energized on this tour and keep bringing in other songs.

2 biggest setlist questions at this point:

-Was Sharp Edges a one-off for Berlin?

-Has Battle Symphony been dropped completely in favor of Nobody Can Save Me?

To me, it appears that everything besides the headlining arena shows is a shortened setlist in some form (even Krakow). We will see in Amsterdam and the UK if Sharp Edges is played. I really think it will be. Have they ever just worked a song up to play it once and never again? I guess A Light That Never Comes but they weren't on tour when it came out or they would have played it, for sure. It was on the Vegas setlist in full.

Now it would not surprise me if Battle Symphony got dropped. They had a lot of issues getting it right. Haha imagine if once they finally could play the intro right, it's gone.

To me, it appears that everything besides the headlining arena shows is a shortened setlist in some form (even Krakow). We will see in Amsterdam and the UK if Sharp Edges is played. I really think it will be. Have they ever just worked a song up to play it once and never again? I guess A Light That Never Comes but they weren't on tour when it came out or they would have played it, for sure. It was on the Vegas setlist in full.

Now it would not surprise me if Battle Symphony got dropped. They had a lot of issues getting it right. Haha imagine if once they finally could play the intro right, it's gone.

That BS intro was so bad live that I honestly wouldn't have been mad if they had just used playback for that part.

Either way though, I would personally rather see NCSM live when I see them later this summer.

I think they could rotate Sharp Edges and Crawling, that way you have even more variety while keeping it acoustic. Or maybe find a way to keep Sharp Edges in the set and then rotate it with a live debut of Final Masquerade acoustic version.

Edited by Kilmer

Webcast confirmed. Will be held at the start of the next hour and will likely be the full show. Not live but proshot footage is definitely welcome (hopefully this means some fancy shots).

A pro shot of MGK on BIO would be amazing.

The show was fucking awesome , setlist :

HT : OSC Papercut , A place , ITE

Meteora : BTH Faint Numb Encore

MTM : LOATR ( new intro outro ) , WID BIO

ATS : Catajyst , WFTE ( RTN intro )

LT : Lite , BID , COG remix

THP ; Wastelands

OML : OML , TTMS , Heavy GG Invisible

New Divide

The show was fucking awesome , setlist :

HT : OSC Papercut , A place , ITE

Meteora : BTH Faint Numb Encore

MTM : LOATR ( new intro outro ) , WID BIO

ATS : Catajyst , WFTE ( RTN intro )

LT : Lite , BID , COG remix

THP ; Wastelands

OML : OML , TTMS , Heavy GG Invisible

New Divide

In the stream Chester sounded off... was he? or was it the stream mix?

Seems like the NCSM/BS spot is the one they're going to drop if they need to cut the set short. I hope Mike keeps doing RME over the BIO bridge. Chester did sound a bit off (at least in the webcast), but that's his 3rd show in 4 days and he's still giving it his all so major props to him. I wish he'd have some more time to rest between shows, but they're already doing Hellfest tomorrow...

Edited by Mesck547

Chester did sound a bit off (at least in the webcast), but that's his 3rd show in 4 days and he's still giving it his all so major props to him. I wish he'd have some more time to rest between shows

Agree, It is his 3rd show in four days... and he needs rest