2017.05.09 - Santiago, Chile

Holy. Shit. Linkin Park is back (and so are my pre-show posts), ladies and gentlemen, and they're bigger than ever. The One More Light World Tour has officially kicked off, and the band is ready to keep rolling! The second show of the tour is taking the band to Santiago, Chile at the Movistar Arena on May 9 with special guest Rise Against opening for them.

This show in Chile will only be the band's second show there. Funny enough, the band's first and only other show in Chile was also the second show of their world tour (ignoring the promo performances), only back in 2010 it was for the A Thousand Suns Tour. All the same, it was a pretty great show: the band headlined the Maquinara Festival with acts like Queens Of The Stone Age and the Cavalera Conspiracy, their set full of new material. Big tracks like 'When They Come For Me' and 'Wretches and Kings' were fresh off the burner, with older tracks filling in the gaps between. This show also featured the third and final time 'What I've Done' ever closed a setlist, after closing the two shows before. 'Bleed It Out' returned as set closer at the following show. A fun fact, about the show, too: the band actually had to stop DJ Erol Alkan's set on another stage because his sound was interfering with theirs. Show them who's boss, LP.

The A Thousand Suns era really came with some good sets: watch this unforgettable opener at Santiago 2010, 'The Requiem,' 'The Radiance,' and 'Wretches and Kings' bringing the show to a rocking start.

We're not in 2010 anymore, though. We're on the One More Light world tour, and goddamn are we glad to be, because Linkin Park's live show is as epic as ever. The band debuted a brand new setlist at the world tour opening show in Buenos Aires, Argentina at the Maximus Festival. There's so much going on with the set, we're not even entirely sure where to begin.

Let's start where the setlist starts: a shocking mashup between the ATS interlude 'Fallout' (being used for the first time since Singapore 2011) and Living Things ballad 'Roads Untraveled,' which has never been performed in any form ever. Epic way to start the set, especially for us live nerds. Promptly following is 'The Catalyst,' opening the show for the third time ever (after two shows in London 2010 and Abu Dhabi 2010), and returning as a full band track for the first time since Kuala Lumpur 2013. Following that came the only surviving song from The Hunting Party, 'Wastelands' sporting the outro transition of 'War' before it. This is actually only the fourth time the full song has ever been played (with the studio intro) - most performances on The Hunting Party World Tour featured a shortened version of 'Runaway' transitioning into it.

And then, right after, came the worldwide premiere of One More Light track 'Talking To Myself.' Just like how the band debuted 'Wastelands' in Tucson 2014, this is the first time we've ever heard the full version 'Talking To Myself' (after hearing an acoustic snippet of it at the band's Warner Bros Records party), and, boy, is it something awesome. Enough of me talking about it, just go listen to this live video of it:

Talk about badass.

That's not where the surprises ended. The set featured a lot of awesome moments: 'Burn It Down' came right after, being featured super early on in the set for the first time ever, followed by 'One Step Closer' with a new spin on its classic 2007 Intro, right into the Experience Version of 'Castle Of Glass' with a newly remixed portion at the end of it. Then came the live debut of 'Good Goodbye,' the live version with Mike's new verse being preceded by a sing-a-long intro. Mike actually changed up his verse from the rehearsal video we heard earlier this month. Chester brought out a sweet guitar on 'Battle Symphony' for the song's full band debut. The classic Acapella Outro to 'Breaking The Habit' made a return, with the piano version of 'Crawling' making its onstage debut.

What came next was probably one of the best moments of the night: the brand new version of 'Leave Out All The Rest' with its beautiful intro and rocking ending. Not only is the Ballad Medley (or, as Skipees calls it, the Salad Medley) gone, but this epic version of LOATR feels like a great way to celebrate the ten-year anniversary of Minutes To Midnight (which turns ten in one week!). 'What I've Done' also featured a fancy new intro after 'Somewhere I Belong' made an unexpected appearance, with Brad really sounding awesome on the returning extended guitar solo bridge. He also sounded great on the 'Faint' outro which he finally changed up after years. An epic crowd moment occurred during 'In The End,' when the band paused after the intro and let the crowd sing all the way up until the first chorus before starting it over from the first verse.

The "encore" went by pretty standardly. There was no break (though it was pretty evident that's where the encore break is meant to be), but 'Numb' kicked it off with its Collision Course additions before 'Heavy' rocked it with epic production. 'Papercut' made a surprise appearance, too, before 'Bleed It Out closed the show. The surprises never ended, from start to finish.

There were a few gaps, though, that opens up the question: will we see a headlining set in Chile? Maximus Festival was, as you can clearly see, a festival. That means the band had less time to play than they would a headlining show, this one only lasting around 90 minutes. On The Hunting Party tour, the band was going for a solid 105 minutes at their headlining shows.

The thing is, this show is a headlining show. The band probably won't be rehearsing too much between the end of this tour and when they head off to Europe in June, so this'll probably be the set they play at the festivals there, so no time to make a new set for the headlining shows they have planned in the Netherlands, Germany, and England. So, unless they're playing this set for all of the shows, they must have another setlist planned, or at least some changes to this existing one. Some key tracks were missing in this setlist: 'Waiting For The End' and 'Given Up' are noticeably missing. What do you think - will we see a new set at this show? The same one? Or will the band add more songs to this one to fill in the time?

Back-to-back: watch the epic production of 'Heavy' go straight into a killer performance of 'Papercut.'

Linkin Park's not in it alone at this show. Rise Against are opening for them - and it's not the first time. Rise Against and Linkin Park were touring together for the ill-fated The Hunting Party Winter North American Tour in 2015. It was doomed to be only three shows long, but that didn't stop Tim McIlrath from joining the band onstage for 'Bleed It Out.' It's definitely possible we see this happen again. If you're going to the show, you can expect to hear some new songs from Rise Against like 'The Violence' from their upcoming album Wolves, due out in June.

Who's going to the show? We'll be keeping you covered on what goes on during it, so be sure to check back here or follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for live updates. After this show, the band continues their South American tour with their first ever show in Lima, Peru on May 11 before ending it off in Brazil at the second weekend of the Maximus Festival there. Let us know in the comments or on social media what you think the band will do at this show - play the same set or hit us with something different?

We had a little contest in the Custom Setlists thread to see who could make the closest guess to the setlist. Congrats to SasstielExperience for not only getting most of the songs correct, but even predicting some runs of songs correct.

In other Linkin Park news, the presale for Linkin Park's One More Light North American Tour will be on May 9 (same day of this show), so if you're planning on getting tickets, get your wallets ready. The band recently shared the wacky video for 'Good Goodbye' featuring Pusha T and Stormzy, so if you want to see Chester play basketball and NOT break his leg (or watch him get dunked on by a little girl), check it out. One More Light is out next week, on May 19, and there are rumors that another song, 'Invisible,' may be shared some time this week, so be on the lookout for that. Don't forget to check out the Sean Dowdell And His Friends? story (Chester's first band) that our hard-working staff member LESTAT shared the other day, too. Follow us on social media (linked above) so you stay up to date.

Setlist:

1. Fallout (w/ 'Roads Untraveled')

2. Talking To Myself (First time as opener)

3. Burn It Down

4. The Catalyst (Shortened)

5. Wastelands

6. One Step Closer (2017 Intro; Ext. Outro)

7. Castle Of Glass (Experience Version; 2017 Ending)

8. Good Goodbye

9. Lost In The Echo (Shortened)

10. Battle Symphony (Fucked up intro streak: 2 shows)

11. New Divide

12. Invisible (Public Live Debut)

13. Waiting For The End (Remember The Name Intro; Wall Of Noise Outro)

14. Breaking The Habit (Acapella Outro)

15. One More Light (Full Band Live Debut)

16. Crawling (Piano Version)

17. Leave Out All The Rest (2017 Version)

18. Somewhere I Belong

19. What I've Done (2017 Intro; Ext. Guitar Solo Bridge)

20. In The End

21. Faint (Ext. Outro)

---------------------------------

22. Numb ('Numb/Encore' Intro + Outro)

23. Heavy

24. Papercut

25. Bleed It Out (Ext. Bridge w/ Sing-a-long; Ext. Outro)

Check out the rest of Linkin Park's 2017 touring schedule here.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has to at least be a slightly different set, since we know 5 OML songs are getting played. Wouldn't surprise me if we got that last OML song (I'm predicting the title track) and WFTE thrown back into the mix.

We had a little contest in the Custom Setlists thread to see who could make the closest guess to the setlist. Congrats to SasstielExperience for not only getting most of the songs correct, but even predicting some runs of songs correct.
It's what I do best

Excellent pre-show post, as always. I might add that 2010 show was the first time they did Burning In the Skies over BIO bridge (Little detail, but please let me believe that my first LP show had something special lol). That being said I don't hold much expectatives of a setlist change, considering most of the shows that they have in schedule for these first months are festivals. However, It would be neat to have Mike do something a capella or on the BIO bridge.

Its a little dissapointing to see that they're playing just wastelands from THP, as they didn't tour that album in South America besides Brazil. Heck, we didn't even got a LT tour (but fortunately I managed to go to Argentina). I though that at least Final Masquerade would make the cut.

Anyway, I'm going, so I'll be tweeting if they change anything from the night before (@linkinboss). I usually tweet in spanish but I can do english just fine for this purpose. BTW, same time zone as Argentina show, if you want to check my tweets. Let's just hope there's a nice surprise in the setlist.

EDIT: I was just watching Argentina's Show (I was able just to hear it yesterday), I'm gonna miss the giant screen with nice graphics on the stage.

Edited by linkin_boss

I'd like to see a little longer setlist, like this (if we took exactly what they are playing and added 3 songs)... and the 3 songs I'll add are POA (or FTI), OML (or Invisible), and WFTE.

The Catalyst
Wastelands
Talking To Myself
Burn It Down
Points Of Authority (or From The Inside)
One Step Closer
Castle Of Glass
Good Goodbye
Lost In The Echo
Battle Symphony
New Divide
Breaking The Habit
Crawling
One More Light (or Invisible)
Leave Out All The Rest
Waiting For The End
Somewhere I Belong
What I've Done
In The End
Faint
-----
Numb
Heavy
Papercut
Bleed It Out
I am already losing more and more heavy (no pun intended) songs each tour so just add 1 more to this set and we can make a deal :P

Heavy's position is so wrong^^

Start the encore with that or put it in the mainset or play 2 encores like 2008 :P

WID with the new intro could start the encore in my opinion! The old Ambo intro was also one of the best what they ever created

So we can say if LP wanted to be creative they could be it :D

Yeah I didn't want to get in to how bad I think the encore is (starting with Numb and Heavy lmao) but maybe that will change. I saw Mansfield 2012 with Numb in the encore (lol) and they promptly moved it out the very next day in Wantagh. I really don't think Numb is an encore song. They need the heavy shit in the encore, after starting with a slow song.

Proposal: One More Light / Papercut / Bleed It Out.
Proposal 2: Invisible / When They Come For Me / Papercut / Bleed It Out.

Proposal 3: What I've Done / Waiting For The End / When They Come For Me / Bleed It Out.

Yeah I didn't want to get in to how bad I think the encore is (starting with Numb and Heavy lmao) but maybe that will change. I saw Mansfield 2012 with Numb in the encore (lol) and they promptly moved it out the very next day in Wantagh. I really don't think Numb is an encore song. They need the heavy shit in the encore, after starting with a slow song.

Proposal: One More Light / Papercut / Bleed It Out.

Proposal 2: Invisible / When They Come For Me / Papercut / Bleed It Out.

Proposal 3: What I've Done / Waiting For The End / When They Come For Me / Bleed It Out.

Ehm... No More Sorrow :D Still want them to play this song.

And for me the funniest thing is that they re-learned By Myself, Forgotten and Pushing Me Away again in 2014 only for one show! I never will not understand that lol

And we got nothing from Living Things except BID (again and again), LGM and a lame Tinfoil ....and only a short version of LITE^^

If we don't see a different set for this show I'm guessing it's only one set for Europe as well. If they do play the same set, they'll probably add WFTE and a HT/M song (With You,From The Inside...). I really hope they'll add another MTM song for the 10 year anniversary (TLTGYA? Pretty please? Forget it, it's not gonna happen) as long as it's not Given Up, or another ATS song simply beacuse that album deserves more love in the setlists.

I agree that this set will be used for Europe.

And for me the funniest thing is that they re-learned By Myself, Forgotten and Pushing Me Away again in 2014 only for one show! I never will not understand that lol

And we got nothing from Living Things except BID (again and again), LGM and a lame Tinfoil ....and only a short version of LITE^^

You will never understand my level of disappointment at the West Palm Beach rehearsal (first real show after Download), and there were none of those songs there. After each song I kept thinking "ok this is it, time for By Myself or Forgotten or Pushing Me Away."

So last night I saw a band called Real Friends and they threw a curveball by playing an old EP song "Floorboards" on this tour.

I know this will never happen but I really hope Linkin Park throws in a surprise and brings back "Don't Stay" :D

Always been one of my favorites from Meteora and would add a more energetic song to the setlist.

So last night I saw a band called Real Friends and they threw a curveball by playing an old EP song "Floorboards" on this tour.

I know this will never happen but I really hope Linkin Park throws in a surprise and brings back "Don't Stay" :D

Always been one of my favorites from Meteora and would add a more energetic song to the setlist.

Easier to Run*

Yeah an underground tour would be nice!

Like the Berlin show in 2012 where almost everybody in Standing Ground was an LPU member and there were aound 1500 people! One of the wettest show I ever was :D

Thanks for the love on the post guys, feels good to be back.

I definitely think there'll be a few differences in this set. I told Mike on Twitter via the LPL Twitter to throw some APFMH action in there, so let's hope we see a bit of that :P

Thanks for the love on the post guys, feels good to be back.

I definitely think there'll be a few differences in this set. I told Mike on Twitter via the LPL Twitter to throw some APFMH action in there, so let's hope we see a bit of that :P

Maybe they should throw some Dylan action in there too

I just wondered if they wanted to shorten The Catalyst because of the setlist time, they could've just used the video version, it would be shorter and still wouldn't take away anything from the song structure. Much better decision in my opinion.