Linkin Park Third Encore Stream

hahninator

To the people saying the band doesn't hate what they did in early days, we know that isn't entirely true. We all know there are songs they hate and never want to play again.

I won't take Chester's commentary at the end of the video completely as a joke because, judging by his recent tweets, he seems to be a little pissed about all the hate they've been getting lately (which is completely understandable).

To all the people saying it's easy for them to write a nu metal song and they could do that in a couple of minutes, I say they can do that to basically any genre and you can see that from these videos. They didn't play only one version of "Heavy", they played 3 different versions, each one in a different genre, and they didn't have to try very hard to make those versions. Each genre has its own particularities which distinguish them from the others and if you know what they are, it's pretty easy to write a generic song in any genre. We all have seen the band creating music in a variety of genres in a couple of hours or in a couple of days before. I really liked the videos by the way, pretty fun.

To me, "Heavy" is a pretty generic pop song itself. We've heard Mike talking so much shit about pop music during The Hunting Party era and I don't blame people for being angry at them for releasing something like this right after that album. What bothers me the most is that even Mike himself seems afraid to admit they made a pop song with all his "genre is dead" and "I wouldn't call it exactly that" commentaries. I do agree it's pretty annoying that some people, after so many years, are still around asking them to go back to their 2000's sound. If you didn't like anything released since Minutes To Midnight, you should just move on and find another band you might like.

Yes, nu metal is regarded as outdated and it's now cool to hate the genre just like it was cool to hate glam metal and new wave some years ago, but I think every genre evolves with time and either becomes or inspire something better. I always see people making comments about how awesome the instrumental aspect of The Hunting Party is (even though those people didn't really like the vocals or the lyrics), and that's pretty much a nu metal album to me.

I don't want Linkin Park to make another Hybrid Theory or another Meteora by the way, but it's also okay for a band to "make the same songs over and over again" (as I see some people saying). I see a lot of talk here about bands that never evolve (AC/DC, Korn, Foo Fighters, etc.), but I don't think of it as a matter of choosing not to evolve. Those bands are doing what they like and that's the only thing that matters. If you don't like them, don't listen to their music.

It seems to me that the band evolved a lot as musicians during the making of The Hunting Party and you can tell by how the band is able to just jam and improvise now (something Mike admitted in the past they couldn't do). I really wish I could see their new found abilities being put to use. Maybe taking "Mark The Graves" as a stepping stone for a more progressive sound (something that would be new to them). I'm not naive though. Like I always say, Linkin Park have always been a pop band, and I already expected them to make a pop album after The Hunting Party, with a sound similar to "It Goes Through". That clip of "Sorry For Now" sounds just like that to me (and I actually like it).

What I feel about "Heavy" is that the band has spent a lot of time with the vocals and completely disregarded the instrumental aspect of the song. Mike even said himself the instrumental parts in this album were created only to back up the vocals (I really hope that this isn't as obvious in the rest of the album as it is in "Heavy"). So you listen to "Heavy" and it's all vocals nonstop for almost 3 minutes. There's no intro, no outro and no instrumental breaks whatsoever. The instrumental at the very ending of the bridge sounds really good, like it's building to something awesome but it lasts only about 2 seconds and stops abruptly. Besides, Chester's vocals in the beginning sounds just awful to me, and, like some people said, you might as well call it a "Kiiara featuring Linkin Park" song because she takes over the entire song after the first verse.

Sorry for the long post, but I haven't posted my opinion about any of this before.

I honestly enjoy Heavy but i agree with you that it sounds empty in terms of instrumentation, to me it could have been great if it had a proper intro ( 15-20 seconds at least) and if Kiiara was not so prominent, i mean i love her verse but she sings more than half of the song... I would die to hear a demo with only Chester on vocals to compare the 2 versions.

Edited by RogueSoul

I agree it could have been better instrumentally, even if they just put the guitars volume up, not to be more like rock, but it would give the song a bigger atmosphere that would sound great. I really like the song as it is anyway. I wouldn't call The hunting party a nu metal album though, I consider less than half of it as nu metal.

Edited by RogueSoul

Yes THP is more of an hard rock album, i consider Wastelands, Rebellion and maybe KTTK the only nu metal songs, i mean, nu metal isn' t famous for having 5 minutes long songs with long instrumental intros/ outros like MTG or GATS or ALITS, and AFN, FM and UIG are certainly not nu metal songs so...

Second livestream with Brad. Interesting info:

- He's using his modified 6-string PRS (standard tuning with a dropped B at the top) for 'With You' and 'Runaway,' which "may show up" in the setilst.

- There's a song with an acoustic part that Brad will be using a capo on the 5th fret for.

Second livestream with Brad. Interesting info:

- He's using his 7-string for 'With You' and 'Runaway,' which "may show up" in the setilst.

- There's a song with an acoustic part that Brad will be using a capo on the 5th fret for.

The With You/Runaway guitars are the same modified 6-string PRS's he's been using on those songs since the Living Things tour.

Nu-metal is outdated anyway. It might as well be laughed at, at this point. :P

If you stay up to current with the music scene, yes. Not everyone is always listening to the newest trends and artists. I barely even listen to any music made after like 2008. And I don't mean Linkin Park, although I do consider most of everything they have done after MTM to be garbage. I listen to music from so many bands and artists lately, a lot that I never knew about, a lot that I am re-experiencing, etc. Just because something isn't popular in 2017 doesn't make it bad to me. I still enjoy the fuck out of the nu-metal genre from yesteryear and I probably always will. I can confidently say that I could listen to Hybrid Theory, Meteora and Minutes To Midnight only for the rest of my life only and be ok with it. But I do like listening to other bands and artists. So I don't think it's fair to ''laugh'' at it just because it's not what's popular in 2017.

As for how the band is treating it, it's nothing new. Chester slammed nu-metal and nu-metal bands, etc. as far back as 2007. I think one of Chester's actual quotes from an interview in 2007 was ''I fucking hate nu-metal. I never liked any of the bands, even the ones that I toured with''. I think the reason for the massive amount of hate the band has been getting is because with THP coming out only a few years ago, they were trashing the kind of music that they are now releasing. You can say that Mike didn't really say that but cmon, just watch/listen to most interviews from THP era and you'll see, whether you admit it or not. Maybe the band shouldn't have been bashing the music that they are now releasing so hard if they were thinking about making it in the future. I'm sure Mike regrets saying it now, but I don't think anybody takes him seriously when he says Heavy isn't pop, etc. It's a pop song. Whether you like it or not doesn't make a difference, because it's ok to like pop, but just call it what it is, I think Chester even referred to as pop in a more recent interview. I don't think the band needs to be trashing the original fans or anything because there's really no reason to. Linkin Park will always be remembered for Hybrid Theory the most out of anything and they obviously liked the kind of music that they made in 1997-2008 or else they wouldn't have put it out. It's ok for a band to evolve and grow and change over the years but it's the fact that MOST bands don't go bashing certain kinds of music only to make said music down the line.

And one more thing, I think another thing is that none of Linkin Park's ''progression'' has really felt natural to me since MTM. Keep in mind that this is only my sole opinion. Meteora to me was a obvious and natural progression of Hybrid Theory. The band basically just refined and tuned up the sound they had on Hybrid Theory. You see small glimpses of what would come in the future through songs like Easier To Run, Breaking The Habit and Numb. Minutes To Midnight felt like a natural progression to me from Meteora as well. They didn't completely ditch the sound of the band, they just made a very organic and raw sound out of it and took out some of the nu-metal elements. Given Up, Bleed It Out and No More Sorrow all kept that ''heavy'' sound we had come to expect but it was done differently, it felt more '''mature'' sounding, especially Bleed It Out, since it kept that rock and hip-hop clash but did it tastefully. Given Up was basically a more raw and more straight forward rock sounding Don't Stay, etc, same for No More Sorrow. You also had songs that had more of a hip-hop and electronic influence such as Leave Out All The Rest, Hands Held High, In Pieces, etc. but they were done naturally and more stripped down compared to the old albums, etc. They kept that core sound of the band that combined rock, hip-hop and electronic music, I guess is what I'm saying. They also experimented with new styles, writing ballad type songs like Shadow Of The Day. They also experimented with songs that didn't follow the normal structure they had done in the past with stuff like Valentine's Day, In Between and The Little Things Give You Away. A Thousand Suns is where it felt unnatural to me, because IMO, it sounded NOTHING like the Linkin Park of the first 3 albums. I know the band was going for that, but they should have still made it feel like an evolution of the MTM sound, which I think sounded nothing like that. LT was very strange in the sense that it really didn't sound like ATS or anything the band had done up to that point at all. I think this is where LP truly lost who they were as a band, it just felt kind of forced and extremely unnatural to me. THP was extremely strange since it had this straight forward hard rock sound that the band had never done before, IMO, it sounded nothing like the style of heavy music the band made with the first 3 albums, at least to me. But it felt very strange to make an album like that after LT. Then the newest album, OML, is perhaps the strangest of all. It's basically the sound that Linkin Park was bashing obsessively during THP cycle. I thought maybe they would go for a softer rock, maybe indie rock, type of sound after THP. I thought LT would remain the poppiest thing they had done. They definitely change their entire sound up with each album since ATS, but it just feels unnatural to me. Some bands change their sound each album but it feels more natural to me.

I totally agree with a lot of your statements Geki, but i disagree to some others, it' s funny. I feel too that some phases of LP career felt forced, especially IMO THP cycle. I mean, seems like it was a sort of deviation from the obvious road (even though i really like the album) because if after LT and RECHARGED they d have put out Heavy it d have been a sort of logical consequence to me, but THP seems to break a sort of circle and they seem to have built that album up to break it back down ( pun intended). The thing that i do not agree with is that to me MTM always felt pretty random and messy and all but cohesive, i mean they basically threw too many ideas in just one record to me and even if I love some songs i hardly ever listen to the record as a whole and I d say it s my least favourite. The thing that scares me the most about LP'S future is the possible total loss of identity that could occur, caused by the effort to always make a different sound :)

Edited by Dmitry
reply to preceding post, no need for a quote

I'd honestly prefer to see any of the three songs by itself than the medley again. Specially LOATR, since it's the one we don't see for the most time.

I agree, I want to see the 3 songs separate again. It would be funny if they play the medley again, I'm sure the fansites would be pissed off :D