Who will Linkin Park bring on tour in North America?

hahninator

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a major blink-182 fan, I doubt they'd be touring with LP this year. They're releasing a deluxe edition of their latest album in February or March and are touring the UK until the mid to end of Summer. After that, Matt Skiba is going back to work with Alkaline Trio AFAIK.

I can definitely see Paramore touring with them. Would be huge support for both of their new albums which should be releasing around the same time this year.

HIghly Suspect is a great guess. Lots of hype going for them right now.

I disagree about Paramore, not about Fall Out Boy though unless FOB wanted to do a coheadliner. Paramore hasn't released an album since 2013. Yes, Ain't It Fun took over the world but they are in a position to open for Linkin Park, easily. If Incubus opened for LP in 2012, a year after headlining the exact same venues (+ more) on their own and a year after releasing a new studio album, then Paramore is definitely possible. They axed the band, haven't done anything musically in years, and they opened for Fall Out Boy on Monumentour. Now if Haley turned it down, that'd be one thing but there's no way Paramore is "too big" to open for LP.

Also disagreed slightly on the everything else post-New Divide is forgotten by people. That's true in a sense. Most people I talk to that say "wow, LP is still a band?" say the last thing they heard was Waiting For The End or Iridescent. So, A Thousand Suns had some crossover hits. WFTE was a pretty popular song outside of the fanbase regardless of what it did commercially, and Iridescent I guess was because it was in Transformers. WFTE more so of a recognizable tune than Iridescent, for sure.

HCT would have drawn just as well with Incubus without the HCT branding. I'm sure you meant HCT without Incubus or without the Honda branding would have done significantly worse - I'm positive that's true. No big USA hit for Living Things. And same thing with Carnivores, it would have tanked too if Mars wasn't on it.

LP can still draw well in big markets on their own, but as we saw with the arena tour before it was canceled, they can't draw big numbers in B cities without major support. Nashville and Indianapolis had significant numbers of empty seats and that's with Rise Against opening.

tl;dr: Due to LP's lackluster commercial performances since 2010 (could argue 2009), they will need a massive coheadliner or support act to go ahead in the future unless the new album has mega sales.

The live side of the band and the studio side of the band are different. Some bands can still sell out tours and big venues without having new music out. People aren't always going to shows to hear new shit. And LP have PROVEN since 2009 that they can still tour here in the U.S. The 2011 ATS Tour in the U.S. was actually pretty successful, the Honda Civic Tour in 2012 as we all know was LP's highest grossing tour ever, Carnivores did very well in 2014 as well. You can't determine how well The Hunting Party Tour in 2015 did since it was cancelled after only 3 shows. And that's just the main tours here. You have to take into account the other shows as well. LP have headlined a LOT of festivals in 2015 across the U.S. and people loved it. Opening for Metallica at Rock In Rio 2015 wasn't too shabby either. But they headlined Monster Mash, BlizzCon, Rock On The Range (HUGE), Summerfest, etc. 2014 they played some other shows as well that were pretty big and different for the band (KFMA Day, Warped Tour, Comic Con, Almost Acoustic Christmas, etc.) 2013 saw the band headlining Sunset Strip Music Festival which was cool, and they also played a big show in Las Vegas in 2013, too. 2012 saw the band playing at places like the iHeart Radio Music Festival, Almost Acoustic Christmas and some more. 2011 also had some good one off shows as well for the band.

So what I'm saying is, LP still holds a LIVE PRESENCE here. Just because they don't have as big of hits as they once did in the 2000's doesn't mean that they can't still have successful touring and what not. And when the day does come for LP here in the U.S., all they have to do is scale down the venues they are booking to a bit smaller places. I admittedly don't know much about how LP does touring in other countries but I do try and follow all the U.S. shows that the band does so I think they are still pretty big here.

Edited by Geki

I just had another thought... what about Sum 41? They just had a new album come out in October 2016 and as far as I know, LP has never played a show with Sum 41 before, let alone toured with them. Frank Zummo of Street Drum Corps/Julien-K is also their drummer, and Chester is friends with him. Their frontman also had some issues with alcohol, similar to Chester in the past, I think they could respect one another. I think it could be a possibility. And I really like Sum 41, I think they're a good band, I think a lot of LP fans would be receptive to it. LP and Sum 41 co-headliner?

Edited by Geki

What about Stone Sour. I know they played in Australia before, since they likely coming up with a new album this year. This is more likely than LP with Slipknot.

Just a thought that was coming to my mind.

I think Slipknot and Stone Sour are both better guesses than all of the other guesses in this thread so far besides Blink-182 and Sum 41 (my guesses). I could see both happening.

I think Slipknot and Stone Sour are both better guesses than all of the other guesses in this thread so far besides Blink-182 and Sum 41 (my guesses). I could see both happening.

Well, Slipknot will not happen, cause they are out till maybe next year, because Corey is focusing on Stone Soure and their new record at the moment...

I think we speculate too much :D In the end we have a band on the bill we did not expect.

Well, Slipknot will not happen, cause they are out till maybe next year, because Corey is focusing on Stone Soure and their new record at the moment...

I think we speculate too much :D In the end we have a band on the bill we did not expect.

Yeah, for sure, I think it will probably be bands that we didn't expect. And the band has likely already chosen the tour mates months ago anyways at this point.

I just had another thought... what about Sum 41? They just had a new album come out in October 2016 and as far as I know, LP has never played a show with Sum 41 before, let alone toured with them. Frank Zummo of Street Drum Corps/Julien-K is also their drummer, and Chester is friends with him. Their frontman also had some issues with alcohol, similar to Chester in the past, I think they could respect one another. I think it could be a possibility. And I really like Sum 41, I think they're a good band, I think a lot of LP fans would be receptive to it. LP and Sum 41 co-headliner?

Sum 41 would definitely open for Linkin Park not co-headline. I can't comment on what venues they were playing in their prime but these days they are playing venue like 4x smaller than Linkin Park

What about Julien-K? They are long overdue for a NA tour and I would love to see Chester and Ryan back together on stage!

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Julien-K with LP again at all. And the sound of the new music might be a bit similar, electronic, pop, etc. The only problem is that LP doesn't seem to repeat touring bands in the U.S., at least since 2003 or so (with the exception of Blindside being on the LPU Tour and PR 03).

Edited by Geki

That would be like an act of mercy, no one gives a fuck about them they were cool back in 2007 but I don't know why they never grew as a band.

Wtf are you talking about? Julien-K have evolved their sound with each album that they have done since Death To Analog. In 2007, they didn't even have an album out, actually, I think you meant 2009. But yeah. And people still like them. They're cool people and a good band.

That would be like an act of mercy, no one gives a fuck about them they were cool back in 2007 but I don't know why they never grew as a band.

Yeah, you clearly don't follow them at all. They just completed their California Noir 2 part album and have a cult following on FB. They would be awesome as an opener. Have Julien-K open, then have a Alt Rock act that had an album come out last year that is moderately popular in the U.S. (Biffy Clyro, Pixies, Wilco, Silversun Pickups, Foals), and the LP headlines. Both opening acts would cover LPs potential new style and would rake in a pretty good haul on ticket sales too.

Edited by LPFreak64

Just thought of another possibility... what about A Day To Remember? Jeremy McKinnon said the first CD that he ever bought was Hybrid Theory and that he is a big fan of Linkin Park. He even flew to Warped Tour when LP played just to play APFMH with the band, his band wasn't even on the bill. And they also played with LP a few other times as well, LP even let them borrow some of their gear to play at one of the US shows in 2015.

Yeah, you clearly don't follow them at all. They just completed their California Noir 2 part album and have a cult following on FB. They would be awesome as an opener. Have Julien-K open, then have a Alt Rock act that had an album come out last year that is moderately popular in the U.S. (Biffy Clyro, Pixies, Wilco, Silversun Pickups, Foals), and the LP headlines. Both opening acts would cover LPs potential new style and would rake in a pretty good haul on ticket sales too.

I like their music it's good but that cult following of 20k fans in Facebook is very little we all want LP to tour with a high profile band who can help them to sell tickets and get a lot of attention not just a random band like Jk is right now.

California Noir - Chapter One: Analog Beaches & Digital Cities is BY FAR my favorite album that Julien-K has released out of their 4 main albums so far. Perfect album, IMO. And yeah, they do have a huge cult following. A lot of people are interested in the band, they're just not mainstream at all and don't appeal to the mainstream crowd, and there isn't anything wrong with that at all. Judging a band by their album sales or whatever is stupid to me. I love a lot of bands that are very small in comparison to LP.

However, I can't seem them opening for Linkin Park on the next tour, as much as I think it would be cool to see them tour together again. LP is a super mainstream band and they need to tour with mainstream bands to bring in that cash. Incubus, Mutemath, Thirty Seconds To Mars, AFI, Rise Against and Of Mice & Men are all pretty popular and mainstream and they really helped sell tickets for the tours. Linkin Park used to tour with obscure acts and stuff (not super obscure, but not as popular as recent tour mates) but I can't see them doing it this time around.