Linkin Park confirmed for Download Paris

RogueSoul

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But this is their second or third headlining slot in a major UK festival after Reading/Leeds last year and maybe another one I'm missing.

Reading and leeds is more indi rock festival. download is the rock festival for ppl into rock. so biffy really isn't a good choice for download. T in park n leeds yeah but won't pull the crowed at download wrong type of fan base

Wow that lineup is bad and if we gonna judge by sales and hype then how did black sabbath headline this year's download and they aren't even relevant or newsworthy anymore moreover they haven't released an album in 20 years and judging by the comments no one cares about the next year edition except SOAD because they are SOAD of course and call me crazy but if we took into consideration the poor marketing of thp and the overall sound it didn't sell that bad , i mean 1.2 million copies is still good for hard rock album nevertheless

Wow that lineup is bad and if we gonna judge by sales and hype then how did black sabbath headline this year's download and they aren't even relevant or newsworthy anymore moreover they haven't released an album in 20 years and judging by the comments no one cares about the next year edition except SOAD because they are SOAD of course and call me crazy but if we took into consideration the poor marketing of thp and the overall sound it didn't sell that bad , i mean 1.2 million copies is still good for hard rock album nevertheless

I don't think you know what you're talking about lol. Black Sabbath's currently on their final tour ever right now, and that's pretty big news considering their legacy in rock and metal. If anything they were a clear choice for Download this year. And they released an album called 13 in 2013.

I don't quite get you're other part, but where are you getting 1.2 million copies from? I'm pretty sure THP sold under a million. Whether you want to admit it or not, Linkin Park is definitely falling in popularity, almost directly as a result of not having a big single hit from THP. Could've been Final Masquerade but like you said, the marketing was poor. Burn It Down landed the band big appearances at radio shows and poppier festivals during the LT cycle, but the whole festival scene seems to becoming "who is relevant and likely to attract people to the show." Aerosmith is a legacy act, so people will go see them regardless. Biffy Clyro is HUGE in Europe right now, and they definitely fit in with the alternative rock sound that Download is branching into (Muse headlined in 2015). SOAD is SOAD. LP is a band that survives off of hits, and that's really just the nature of music nowadays.

LP's poppier sound that they seem to be heading in for this next album won't work very well in the Download setting (DL Paris is still a developing festival, and LP as a name still attracts millions of fans so they're still in the radar), especially since they have a reluctance of customizing their sets (Muse added many of their heavier tracks into their DL set to appease the crowd). LP is a big name nonetheless, so it's not like they'll never be at this festival again. They didn't play at Rock am Ring between 2007 and 2012, but they still headlined both of those years despite the gap. It's simply promoters and their management negotiating with festivals. It's kinda clear that Download needs some sort of incentive (i.e. performing HT in full) to get LP to play now so maybe it'll be a bit before they perform there again.

Ok maybe i came up as little uninformative douchey lol but i'm quite sure that biffy clyro is not that huge and again judging by people reaction i don't think they are that popular to headline huge festivals .

I mean it seems that they are trying to please alt.rock crowds but they couldn't book the bigger ones so they ended up with safe choice instead of going with linkin park for the 5th time .

Another thing,i clearly know what i'm talking about and i was unaware of the last black sabbath album because i don't follow/like them so thanks for correcting me.

Lastly,i'm quite sure that thp had sold 900k copies in 2014 so it's not that hard to exceed 1 million copies by 2016 and i've read that it has sold 1.2m copies somewhere while searching for album statistics so just pointing that out

Edited by Gigito1995

Ok maybe i came up as little uninformative douchey lol but i'm quite sure that biffy clyro is not that huge and again judging by people reaction i don't think they are that popular to headline huge festivals .

I mean it seems that they are trying to please alt.rock crowds but they couldn't book the bigger ones so they ended up with safe choice instead of going with linkin park for the 5th time .

Another thing,i clearly know what i'm talking about and i was unaware of the last black sabbath album because i don't follow/like them so thanks for correcting me.

You didn't come off as douchey, don't worry :) But making claims like that, though, should probably warrant at least a quick Google search. Biffy Clyro is huge in Europe right now. Their new album hit #1 in several countries and headlining Reading/Leeds is a very very big thing. Definitely a proper choice for Download.

It's funny that people are saying LP's poppier sound on the next album won't fit at these big Euro rock festivals. You're correct in assuming that, it won't. But the poppier sound will fit FOR SURE in the United States. Pop is immensely huge in the United States right now and has been for the past few years. It's only getting bigger. If LP has a huge poppy single and it hits radio here in the United States and does well, it could be big for the band. But the Euro rock and metal festivals will hate it. Oh well, IMO, because The Hunting Party was very rock and metal driven and Europe got a shit ton of touring from LP in 2014 and 2015. It's time for some United States shit. :)

The album sold 900,000 as of 2014 so must b over a mil now. Lp has a massive loyal fan base now tho so will always sell gigs well. Look at slipknot they always get headlining slot at download wen there on tour, yet i seen then few times at Manchester arena and they never put top tier seats on sale as they don't sell. Yet lp sells the shit out of that place they could do 2 nights there like the o2. So lp is still a massive band with a massive fan base. Album sales well thp was probably to heavy for the casual lp fans so they didn't sell well there yeah promotion was poor but fact is it's well known album sales as a whole in rock is doing poor not just lp. Corey even did a interview talking about how album sales have gone down and bands basically make 0 from album sales money is made on merch and tours

Edited by HAARP

People seem to underistimate how big linkin park is , i usually facepalm when I see comments like "how did linkin park headline over (insert band name that hasn't been relevant in decade ) " , I mean judging by the sales of lp ,lp has sold more copies than slipknot , avenged sevenfold and all other heavy metal / alt.metal acts of the century(sure someone will disagree) + linkin park is one of the most requested bands in download judging by comments on social media , lp doesn't need to sell more albums and the hunting party was proof that linkin park doesn't need album sales as they have headlined a lot of festivals in 2015, yes lp is falling in popularity but there's reason that lp still manages to sell gigs and sell nearly 1 mil copies without promotion and I disagree that lp strives out off singles and hits , lp is not that kind of band anymore (look at ATS era ) but to each their own I guess ..

Edited by Gigito1995

Linkin Park will play Download Paris on June 9th co-headlining with Blink-182.

https://twitter.com/DownloadFestFR/status/796377600520290308

It might be the case that Blink-182 is playing under Linkin Park and it's not a co-headlining situation. Then again they will probably both play an hour so I don't know.

Also, looks like Blink-182 will be opening up for Linkin Park at Southside/Hurricane I'm assuming based off of this lineup. I feel like this is the only type of show where you would ever see them play on the same day, wish I could fly out and go to download!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154649498174817&substory_index=0&id=128866239816

Wait, festival headliners play more than an hour?

Every festival I've been to you get an hour as the headliner

They again I haven't really been to one of those super popular festivals.

Edited by Bliss