Live Show Attendance/Capacity Project

[AndOne]

We recently decided to add venue attendance and capacity numbers for live shows to the live guide. There is quite some work involved, as these numbers are not always published. They can be found in various places such as: show reviews, tour books, daysheets or other show related documents:

A few rules:

- Add as much info as possible, you must add a source where the number(s) are from. Add a link to the source whenever possible

- Capacity numbers can change over time due to construction or different seating etc. in venues, if there's a confirmed number for one date, don't add it for the other times the band performed at the same venue.

- Add "sold out" if a show was sold out.

- Date and city are usually enough to avoid mixups.

- Add a comment if you are unsure about the information or if you want to add anything else.

If you want to contribute to this project you can do that in the doc linked below.

Google Docs link for anyone to edit:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BslhZA41lHFJkmDxGF8mycIuWZ72pSJ3rAD90l6SPrI/edit?usp=sharing

http://www.billboard.com/articles/photos/live/474959/hot-tours-linkin-park-incubus-journey-enrique-and-j-lo

I found this a while back. Not sure how much it helps because it doesn't list individual attendance numbers. Although it says sell out next to every date.

Also,

Artist: Linkin Park & Of Mice & Men
Venue: London, UK – O2 Arena
Date: Nov. 23rd-24th, 2014
Gross Sales: $2,057,830
Attendance/Capacity: 26,922 / 31,580
Ticket Prices: $82.16, $72.77, $39.12

Artist: Linkin Park & Of Mice & Men
Venue: Manchester, UK – Phones 4u Arena
Date: Nov. 22nd, 2014
Gross Sales: $1,096,450
Attendance/Capacity: 15,192 / 15,444
Ticket Prices: $77.59, $68.19

These numbers were apparently posted here: http://www.billboard.com/biz/current-boxscoreat the time of the show. They are no longer listed there. Again, it doesn't have the separate numbers for the London dates but at least there's the Manchester one...

Edited by LINKINMARK

What should we do to figure out capacity of a stadium? The sources list stadiums' capacities based on the number of sitting places, but a lot of tribunes are not used for the shows, with the playing field used instead.

I think most of the stadiums do have official numbers for concerts but that still doesn't confirm the actual capacity for a show as you said, parts are sometimes not used, based on the ticket sales.

Open air shows with no fixed capacity are a much bigger problem though.

I do know for a fact that LP's first show in Greece (June 25th, 2008) had 27.000 in attendance with the capacity of the venue being 30.000. There was no official release about this, I know the info because I attended the show with people that worked for the venue at the time.

Next year's show (July 21st, 2009) was said to have much less people in attendance, about 10-12.000 but it was never officially confirmed.

Lastly, LP themselves stated that their show in Milan last year (June 10th, 2014) was sold out.

Edited by EvoOba

It's not an exact science, attendance numbers are often just estimates and when a show is sold out they just take the number that's close to the total capacity. Just like everything else it's impossible to get it all right.

I think attendance numbers are far more interesting than capacities anyway, so I think it's a bad idea to just look up capacities at the venue websites, as we cant know how many tickets were on sale in the first place.

Do you mean an excel list with all the shows?

I can fix up a template with just dates, cities, venues, events and then add the extra columns that you've got in the google doc. - attendance, capacity, notes etc.

Good idea, that's the best way to see what we have and what we are missing. I created an extra sheet (you can switch at the bottom). Copy all the dates in there and then we copy the current list in there.

I guess it would be the best to the have the order upside down, recent dates up, oldest at the bottom.

New list with all shows is added, thanks LGraham! If someone likes to copy the stuff from the old to the new list feel free.

Everything is in the new list now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Over 30.000 in Berlin from some Newspaper. Also from what I saw is that we barly find any Offical numbers from 2015 shows. I mean we found London,Manchester, Zurich with offical attendance and also the revenue from these concerts but I didn't find any of these from shows which are played in 2015 hmm.

By the way, the Rock N' Heim show got 14.000 in attendance and the Rock im Sektor about 25.500. Marek Lieberberg from MLK said that the three show sold together over 70.000 tickets. WIth these two concerts we have ~ 30.500 left for the solo show in Berlin.

Edited by LinkInThePark

Over 30.000 in Berlin from some Newspaper. Also from what I saw is that we barly find any Offical numbers from 2015 shows. I mean we found London,Manchester, Zurich with offical attendance and also the revenue from these concerts but I didn't find any of these from shows which are played in 2015 hmm.

Over 20,000 in Rybnik