2014.09.10 - Phoenix, AZ, US Airways Center

RogueSoul

30-seconds-to-mars-carnivores-tour-linki

The Carnivores Tour is on its final stretch! Linkin Park, Thirty Seconds To Mars, and AFI will take the stage at the US Airways Center in Phoenix, Arizona on September 10. Linkin Park has performed in Phoenix many times before: on three occasions in 2000 (1, 2, 3), another two shows in 2001 (1, 2), 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, and 2011 - a giant 11 times! Who's ready for a history lesson?

Before we start - allow me to point out that this show is a big one for LP: Phoenix is Chester's home town! Every time they play there, something special's bound to happen. If we really want to go to the roots of the band in Phoenix - it goes farther back than Linkin Park. Chester used to perform there all the time when he was part of the band Grey Daze. As for Linkin Park, their first confirmed show there in 2000 was a very important one in the Linkin Park trading community, and it still is: the show has the oldest recording of the band that is currently in circulation! You can go grab a download of it in this thread, if you don't already. The second show in 2000 is an interesting one - it's one of the rare occasions where the band really changed up their setlist. The main changes in the set include an opening combo of 'A Place For My Head' and 'In The End', as well as the dropping of 'Forgotten'. The last show in 2000 was part of KUPD's Red Christmas Party, which included other acts like UPO and Green Vinyl Dream. The first show in 2001 was an OFFEST show, which was an off-tour date of the Ozzfest. The lineup at the OFFEST show included Slipknot, Papa Roach, Disturbed, and Mudvayne. The second show in 2001 was originally booked for November 13, but it ended up being pushed back two days to the 11th. The show was part of the Family Values Tour, where the band performed alongside Stone Temple Pilots, Staind, Static-X, and Deadsy. Funny enough, Chester joined Stone Temple Pilots onstage for 'Dead & Bloated' during their set! In 2002, the band had to stop and restart 'Papercut' and 'A Place For My Head' due to the crowd being extremely rowdy - a rare thing for the band to do. The setlist included 'Step Up', 'It's Goin' Down' with DJ Z-Trip, and a cover of Deftones' 'My Own Summer (Shove It)'.

The band returned again in 2003 for a two-show stop in Arizona at both Phoenix and Tuscon during Projekt Revolution 2003, where they performed with Mudvayne, Xzibit, and Blindside. 2004 saw them returning yet again with Projekt Revolution, this time with Korn, Snoop Dogg, The Used, and Less Than Jake. The band performed a great set, including a cover of Nine Inch Nails' 'Wish'. Ivan the Urban Action Figure, Bert McCracken, and Jonathan Davis came out to perform during the Hip-Hop Medley, 'Faint', and 'One Step Closer', respectively. The band returned again in 2007, where Mike thanked Phoenix (the city, not Mr. Farrell) for "giving them" Chester over the extended intro of 'Papercut'. Mike went into an entire speech about how they needed the band at the time, and they luckily found Chester. The band returned again in 2008 for Projekt Revolution, with Chris Cornell, The Bravery, ASHES dIVIDE, and Street Drum Corps. Chris came out onstage to sing 'Crawling' with the band, and the Street Drum Corps performed on 'No More Sorrow' and the bridge of 'Bleed It Out'. Again, during the intro of 'Papercut', Mike told a story about Phoenix (again, not our beloved bassist). The first time they'd heard their own song on the radio (which happened to be 'One Step Closer') was in Phoenix, at Chester's dad's house. What a great moment for the band! Finally, most recently in 2011, the band returned to Phoenix again with The Prodigy for the A Thousand Suns North American Tour. Mike sang the chorus of 'Burning In The Skies' over the extended bridge of 'Bleed It Out'! That concludes our lengthy lesson of the day!

At the previous show in Englewood, Colorado, the band performed a pretty basic Set B, which features 'With You', the 2014 Abridged Version of 'Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying From You', and 'Somewhere I Belong'. The band has yet to implement any major changes into the setlists on tour, and we know they have a lot they have under their sleeves! The band has rehearsed 'When They Come For Me', 'No More Sorrow', 'A Light That Never Comes' in full, the rest of Hybrid Theory, and a bunch of others to be performed on the Carnivores Tour, but they didn't make the cut for the final setlists. Some of the songs, like 'A Place For My Head' and 'By Myself', are leading on our 2014 Live Poll - songs that fans want to see performed on the setlists! What would YOU like to see added into the sets?

Check out this awesome performance of Mike's Solo Medley and the new 2014 Version of 'Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying From You' from the previous show in Englewood! Mike rapped a 'hybrid' verse of the Fort Minor song, 'Remember The Name'. What songs would you like to see Mike rap over his medley?

If you're curious as to what else you have in store for you if you're visited the Carnivores Tour - I've got you covered. AFI and Thirty Seconds To Mars are really giving it their all on these last few shows of the tour! AFI performed their regular setlist, featuring hits like 'I Hope You Suffer' and '17 Crimes', opening with 'The Leaving Song, Pt. II', including some older treats like 'Silver and Cold' and 'The Days Of the Phoenix', and closing out with a bang with 'Miss Murder'. Thirty Seconds To Mars performed their regular setlist again as well, which features an old-school opener of Carl Orff's 'Carmina Burana: O Fortuna' and their lead single from the band's new album, Love Lust Faith + Dreams, 'Up In The Air'. They include new songs like 'Conquistador' and 'End Of All Days', older songs including 'Search and Destroy' and 'This Is War', and new singles like 'Do Or Die' and 'City Of Angels'! Giant balloons fell during 'This Is War' and Jared went deep into the crowd during 'Kings and Queens'! During his acoustic set, Jared Leto took a request or two from the crowd and played the band's biggest hit, 'The Kill (Bury Me)'. The band closed their show by jamming to Pantera's 'Cowboys From Hell' and their hit from This Is War, 'Closer To The Edge'. The band invited fans up onstage from the crowd to dance and sing with them, too!

Do you want to see a date on the Carnivores Tour but can't make it to a show? You're in luck! Jared Leto's online ticketing service, VyRT, will be livestreaming Linkin Park's and Thirty Seconds To Mars' sets live from the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, CA on September 15! You can purchase a basic ticket for both sets for only $15, or the recently-added VIP for Linkin Park fans, which costs $40. It includes both sets live, access to an exclusive post-show broadcast with the band, and more! The band has recently used VyRT to livestream their Q&A with LPU Fans at the LPU Summit in Woodlands, TX a few nights ago! The band could hop on at anytime - Jared likes to do small VyRTs with his laptop webcam (he calls them VyRT Violet) and perform a few acoustic songs, and sometimes give the Echelon a treat! Recently, he showed a teaser from the band's upcoming live film, Into The Wild on VyRT Violet. Be sure to keep an eye on VyRT - Jared has teased that Mike and/or Chester would be hoping on solo at some point. Maybe it'll happen sooner than you think!

Who's heading to the show? The band will likely perform Set A, to stay consistent with their setlist rotation. Stop by the Music For Relief booth and donate, you'll be helping put an end to the ebola epidemic taking place in Africa. If you haven't been keeping up with the world of Linkin Park, here's what you've missed over the past few days - the 12th LPU Summit has been announced for Amsterdam on November 7, 2014, and the full credits song for Joe's movie, MALL, has made its way to Youtube. We'll keep you updated on what happens at the show in Phoenix here, so check back after the show or follow us on Twitter for live updates!

Check out the rest of Linkin Park's 2014 touring schedule here.

Setlist

01. Mashup Intro #2

02. Guilty All The Same
03. Given Up
04. Points Of Authority
05. One Step Closer (Ext. Outro)
06. Blackout (Shortened)
07. Papercut (Shortened)
08. Rebellion
09. Runaway (Shortened; Ext. Outro Transition w/ Wastelands Verse 1)
10. Wastelands
11. Castle Of Glass (Experience Version)
12. LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent
13. Robot Boy (Shortened)
14. Joe Solo Medley
15. Burn It Down
16. Waiting For The End (Apaches Intro; Wall Of Noise Outro)
17. Final Masquerade
18. Mike Solo Medley (w/ Joe) (w/ Remember The Name)
19. Numb (Numb/Encore Intro/Outro)
20. In The End
21. Faint (Ext. Outro)
----------------------------------------------------
22. Lost In The Echo (Shortened)
23. New Divide (Shortened)
24. Crawling (Shortened; w/ Faster Tempo)
25. Until It's Gone (Shortened)
26. What I've Done (Ext. Guitar Solo Bridge)
27. Bleed It Out (Ext. Bridge w/ Drum Solo + The Catalyst Refrain)

Imagine if they go out and perform hybrid theory in full again!xD

would be great but it didn't happen.

realistically, I hope that they keep the same rotation, 'cause at L.A. (the broadcasted show) it'd be Set B

Edited by stich

I was surprised that this show didn't get a Summit since it was a west coast arena show. It's interesting they're playing indoors versus at the amphitheatre.

Arizona is hot AF so it makes sense to me.

Anyways, I will have a write up soon about my show experience!

Imagine if they did ANYTHING different for once!

I love how every album touring session starts. People go mad for new shit and love it, say it's the best thing since sliced bread, and then they keep playing it and it's boring.

In 2004, our favourite nu-metal band released an EP and did a couple of shows with JAY-Z, one of the biggest names in hip-hop at the time and still going strong now.

In 2005, LP got Chali 2na onstage and flipped up Frgt/10 for the first time ever.

In 2006, the band played live with Jay-Z AND freaking Paul McCartney of The Beatles.

Later that year they played a song they've never played before, a song that they wrote 2 band-names ago, with their old singer - Reading My Eyes.

They also debuted a piano version of Pushing Me Away, which carried on throughout 2007 and 2008. Many people called it boring eventually, but they loved it at first.

In 2007-2008, Mike started rapping various old-school LP & Fort Minor verses over the intro/outro of Points of Authority. The band also played Breaking The Habit and a verse of Hands Held High spontaneously due to band arrival failure once.

In the past 6 years, the band have been joined by the likes of Busta Rhymes, Street Drum Corps and Chris Cornell onstage. In the past 7 years the band have mashed up various songs of theirs, including about a million additions to Bleed It Out, one even featuring fan favourites No Roads Left, A Place For My Head and Reading My Eyes on the bridge. Even fucking Sabotage by Beastie Boys!

In 2011, the band said "fuck it, yolo" and busted a live piano cover of Rolling In The Deep by Adele in London.

In 2012, the band performed what we affectionately refer to as "Balad Medley" - like PMA piano, we all loved it at first, now everyone hates it? Not to mention, this was the year many melodramatic forum posters posted "RIP APFMH", and then days later they played that as the intro song for the entire set, and with With You a few songs later to everyone's surprise. Also, anyone remember going mad for QWERTY being mixed in with Victimized? I remember you all tucking your boners into your belt on that one. And I'm sure you all still love the Apaches intro on WFTE?

This year? The year of no surprises?

- The MFR show that featured Heart, Filharmonic, Mike Einzinger and Travis Barker

- A few mashup intros

- Mike rapping Rakim's verse on GATS

- Robot Boy interlude (I found it hard to click through the forums with all the fanboy-jizz clogging it up that week)

- Castle of Dance

- Wastelands verse over Runaway

- Joe solo

- Mike solo, with the various verses

- Numb/Encore intro

- LFY/DOTS mashup

- The ending medleys (intrlude/UIG/ALTNC/LITS/Crawling/ND)

- ANOTHER BIO mashup

- Extended WID solo

Some may be small, but we cannot say this band never changes things, because it's one band that actually does.

some of this stuff is just horrible though, I mean they do change stuff but not the right stuff, or they just keep stuff that needs a rest very badly.

That the band is not changing stuff is not true. Let me call it the Tucson set, it was a MASSIVE change, it took us days to figure out all the changes, combined with all the fucks ups it was a big mess.

The changes for the Carnivores we not big but they managed to make a few things better and a few things worse. For example the NMS intro to the (full) Until It's Gone, why the hell did they drop that? Even more short songs on this tour. The return of Crawling WTF, it is so bad, just like New Divide.

I like the Joe and Mike stuff, it's awesome, I love it. LFY/DOYS is an awesome idea but holy shit the execution is so bad, Joe completely fucks up the song with the Jay samples.

Almost everyone says that the Ballad Medley kills the concert energy, I couldn't believe that they keep it this year, I always hated this part of the show, that and the boring encore.

But what most people mean is that they have been pretty boring on the Carnivores tour, and that's a fact. Only 2 sets and nothing has changed so far, except maybe shortening (lol) Crawling too in one of the sets. No collaborations with the other bands. No Rakim either. WHAT THE FUCK!?

So I am here with a report of the show! This is the first Linkin Park show I have been too so naturally I decided to write a big long post about it.

I took the light rail to the stadium in hopes that the show would end on time to take the light rail back. This made the concert a lot cheaper. The concert was held at U.S. Airways Center, which is a nice venue for concerts. I have been to this arena two times before. Once for a basketball game and once for an Imagine Dragons concert. I walked into a side entrance where I ended up right next to a merch table. Normally, I don't splurge on anything when I go to concerts but this time I decided to buy a T-shirt. To this date, I have never owned a Linkin Park T-shirt or a Tour T-shirt. I ended up picking out the gray T-shirt that has the tour dates on the back.

Now onto the show. I was in row 18 which ended up being nice because there was a hot girl next to me as well as a hot girl in front of me who knew the people next me. I ended up talking to her for a bit. She was there for Linkin Park as opposed to the people in front of me who were there for 30 Seconds to Mars. She said 'The Hunting Party' had to grow on her but now she likes it. Also, while this may upset the online fanbase, I heard a lot of people talk about 'The Hunting Party' going back to their roots. Anyways, first up was A Fire Inside. I used to be A Fire Inside fan. However, after Decemberunderground, they fell off. When it came to their set, they sounded good but I didn't really know what they were playing as I stopped listening to them a long while ago. The last they played was 'Miss Murder' and that was all I needed from their set to be happy. So, Indeed, I enjoyed AFI's set.

Next came 30 Seconds to Mars. I am a huge 30 Seconds to Mars fan, but I have to be honest. I wold never go see a 30 Seconds to Mars show ever again. This was my first time seeing 30 Seconds to Mars and the only information I knew about their live sets were rumors I have heard over the years and one live stream I watched in 2010 I think. The main rumor is that Jared Leto only sings 50% of the words. The second is that they ignore their early work completely. ALL rumors came true. The first thing that I thought was weird was the outfit Jared was wearing. No offense, but it looked like I was at a Kanye West or Tokio Hotel show. Secondly, the rumor that he sings 50% of the time. This was SPOT on. He only sang 50% of the words. Yes, crowd interaction is good, but not in a way that is overkill. I come to hear you perform, sing your dang songs! Jared Leto, if you are only going to sing 50% of the words in your songs, you are in the wrong business. The third and fourth go hand in hand. This is that they ignore their first two albums. Do you want to know how many songs they played from their first two albums? 1. It was an acoustic version. They also act like no one in the crowd knows their previous music. Jared asked, "Do you guys know a song called Kings and Queens?" 'Kings and Queens' is not that old. It's from the album before their last one. As long as the person knows 30 Seconds to Mars, they will know the song. Stop ignoring your work unless you are literally ashamed of your past self.

Well, on to Linkin Park. They were amazing! I did not follow the setlist this tour because I wanted to be surprised. However, since I followed the European tour, I already knew what was potentially coming and a lot of stuff was familiar. Starting off the show was the best opening ever! Guilty all the Same into Given Up into Points of Authority into One Step Closer into Rebellion into Runaway with other little things thrown in! It was the best way to open the show! So in your face and heavy! The rest of the set was great too. I am very happy that Final Masquerade was played, it sounded killer! The whole band killed it. Chester, Mike, Joe, and Rob especially! It really was an experience to remember. Honestly, I thought they were one of the best live acts based on videos but this just cemented it. This was the best performance from any band or artist I have ever seen! If it wasn't for 30 Seconds to Mars, this would probably be one of the best concerts I have ever been too. However, because of 30 Seconds to Mars lack of a performance in my opinion, there are other shows this year that have topped it. But don't getme wrong, it was insane!

I will definitely go see them again if I ever get a chance!

And to AndOne's comment, I loved Crawling last night!

Edited by Bliss

We've seen a couple of shows and I have to say Crawling got a lot better over time, it's still pretty bad imo, it's not what it used to be especially when he sings "SKAANE".

It's is a huge crowd pleaser though, I remember a particular situation at the Tampa show, where some people behind us said before LP started that the band has to play Crawling, it's basically the only song they wanted to see and they exploded when the song came on..

I used to be A Fire Inside fan. However, after Decemberunderground, they fell off.

Really? Not trying to start an argument or anything, but their new album 'Burials' is probably the only album that I actually like from them. I had to point this out, because it's very weird that whenever I check out a support band for LP's work, I always end up liking the album that they are promoting on the tour the most. For example, I liked 'The Black Parade' the most from My Chem when they were touring with LP in 2007 and I liked 'If Not Now, When?' the most from Incubus when they were touring with LP in 2012, etc.

What's up with the Crawling hate?

It's not something new that Chester struggles to sing, this problem goes way back to 2001, Chester sounds decent to me in this song but not awesome, he never got it right but it still an awesome song... in this one the crowd singing the full chorus is the best option.

In 2012 it was insanely bad (watch the club nokia show) I'm sure that's why they dropped it. That he sings SKAAANE just like RAISIN in New Divide is just extremely annoying to me, they should drop it if it doesn't sound right. I'm not going to a concert to hear a terrible version of a forced song.

To me Crawling was always one of the most boring live songs because they always played it. The encore is pretty bad and squeezing Crawling in there only makes it worse. They played this song a billion times, why not bring something like PMA back for example?

In 2012 it was insanely bad (watch the club nokia show) I'm sure that's why they dropped it. That he sings SKAAANE just like RAISIN in New Divide is just extremely annoying to me, they should drop it if it doesn't sound right. I'm not going to a concert to hear a terrible version of a forced song.

To me Crawling was always one of the most boring live songs because they always played it. The encore is pretty bad and squeezing Crawling in there only makes it worse. They played this song a billion times, why not bring something like PMA back for example?

Chester sounded much better on Crawling back in the day, circa 2001. It wasn't perfect back then, but it was definitely better. I agree with you that the SKAANE thing is annoying, I think they should just drop it, personally. They dropped the song in 2012 for a reason, so they shouldn't have brought it back. Of coarse they needed to play it at Download Festival, but it sounded decent there. I wish they would just drop all this shortened songs and interludes thing altogether..

Really? Not trying to start an argument or anything, but their new album 'Burials' is probably the only album that I actually like from them. I had to point this out, because it's very weird that whenever I check out a support band for LP's work, I always end up liking the album that they are promoting on the tour the most. For example, I liked 'The Black Parade' the most from My Chem when they were touring with LP in 2007 and I liked 'If Not Now, When?' the most from Incubus when they were touring with LP in 2012, etc.

Ive been an AFI fan since Decemberunderground. Ive listened to thier music, It's just they don't sounds good anymore. It's just an opinion