2014.09.05 - Woodlands, TX (11th LPU Summit)

RogueSoul

After a well-warranted break for the week, the Carnivores Tour is back in business! Linkin Park, Thirty Seconds To Mars, and AFI are hitting the road again for the second half of the Carnivores Tour, starting at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion in Woodlands, Texas. The band will be hosting the 11th annual LPU Summit at this show, the 10th being fairly recently in Darien Center, NY. The band has been playing in Woodlands for awhile now, playing there 4 times in the past: 2001, 2007, 2008, and 2012, all at the same venue.

Get out your pens and pencils, ladies and gentlemen. It's time for another history lesson in the world of Linkin Park! In 2001, the band performed as part of Buzzfest VI, at which they performed among the likes of Orgy, The Offspring, and Eve 6. 6 years later, in 2007, the band returned with My Chemical Romance and Taking Back Sunday for Projekt Revolution. That show was the only one that sold out on the entire tour! Awesome! Other memorable moments include Chester bringing out his son, Tyler, out onstage during 'Wake' (it was Tyler's second concert - the first being the Bamboozle earlier that year) and Mike rapping his verse from 'Dolla' over the extended intro of 'Points Of Authority'. The show in 2008 saw the end of the band's 2008 touring cycle (an Asian Tour was planned for later in the year, but that ended up being cancelled), and the last show of a major Projekt Revolution tour (while there were instances of Projekt Revolution in 2011, there was no big tour for it). Chris Cornell came out to sing on 'Crawling' for one last time, before the end of the tour. This show featured the last performances of 'In Pieces' and 'Don't Stay' to date. Would you like to see those songs come back in the future? We'll get to that later - time to wrap up our lesson.

At their most recent performance in Woodlands, in 2012, the band revised Set B (which opened up with 'A Place For my Head', as well as closing with a GREAT encore!) by replacing 'Empty Spaces' and 'When They Come For Me' with a then new song off of Living Things, 'In My Remains', as well as changing up the placement of a few songs. The music video for 'Lost In The Echo' was released that day, so Mike told the fans at the show to check it out on their website before they performed the song live. Hopefully the band's cool history in Woodlands will continue at this show!

Since it's been a week since the last Carnivores show, let's recap - the last show was on August 30, in Clarkston, Michigan. The band performed Set A, which differs from Set B by including 'Points Of Authority' and 'Crawling'. Highlights from the show include Mike rapping the hybrid verse of 'Remember The Name' over his medley and the band having a sing-a-long of the refrain from 'The Catalyst' during the extended bridge of 'Bleed It Out'. Mike's medley has a lot of room for some experimentation with different verses - we think 'High Voltage' and 'Dedicated' would work well! Take the poll for what songs you'd like to see Mike rap over his medley here. Additionally, take our 2014 Live Poll, for songs you'd like to see return at some point during The Hunting Party Tour! Currently, 'A Place For My Head', 'By Myself', and 'When They Come For Me' are in the lead.

Lastly, the band will be hosting the 11th LPU Summit before the show. For those unfamiliar with summits, the band occasionally hosts a huge event before a show for their fanclub, the LP Underground. At these events, fans can participate in a Q&A, some community events (i.e. cleaning up the local park, planting trees, etc.), and even watch the band perform acoustically or do a soundcheck. Previously, the summit has been held in London, Homebush, Chicago, Hamburg, Chiba, Camden, Cape Town, Auckland, Chep Lap Kok, and Darien Center. The band has performed 'The Messenger', 'Leave Out All The Rest', 'The Little Things Give You Away', 'Rolling In The Deep' by Adele, 'In My Remains', and 'Final Masquerade' acoustically, as well as soundchecking songs like 'Victimized (w/ QWERTY)', 'Papercut', 'Castle Of Glass', and 'The Catalyst' with a cool outro jam at past summits. What do you predict the band will do at this summit? Perform another acoustic set? Perform a soundcheck, possibly to rehearse a new song or two? Or even both? We'll have you covered on what the band ends up doing!

Check out this performance of 'Final Masquerade' acoustic from the past summit in Darien Center, featuring Chester, Mike, and Brad. They perform great acoustically! What songs would YOU like to see played acoustic?

What have the other bands on the Carnivores Tour been up to? Nothing much, really - they've been relaxing just like Linkin Park! Jared Leto has been attending business-related events in Los Angeles, as well as appearing on VyRT a few times - we'll discuss that later, though. At the show in Clarkston, AFI performed their average set consisting of singles like 'I Hope You Suffer' and 'Miss Murder', as well as older songs like 'The Days Of The Phoenix' and 'The Leaving Song, Pt. II'. The band hasn't really varied their setlist since the beginning of the tour, when they performed two songs they subsequently dropped from following setlists: 'A Single Second' and 'Beautiful Thieves'. Do you think AFI has prepared anything for the second half of the tour? We'll see! Thirty Seconds To Mars also performed their regular setlist, opening with the old-school opener of Carl Orff's 'Carmina Burana: O Fortuna' and their new single, 'Up In The Air'. Their set has their new singles like 'Do Or Die' and 'City Of Angels', as well as other new songs like 'Conquistador' and 'End Of All Days'. The band also performed older songs from This Is War: 'This Is War' and 'Search and Destroy', just to name a few. During Jared's acoustic set, he performed an unreleased song called 'Save Me' (not 'Savior', as some fans may remember from A Beautiful Lie) and a snippet of their old single, 'From Yesterday'. Jared ended his acoustic set by performing their biggest hit, 'The Kill (Bury Me)'. They closed their show with an instrumental jam of Pantera's 'Cowboys From Hell' and inviting fans up on stage for 'Closer To The Edge'. Awesome! Other cool aspects of their show include a ton of confetti and giant balloons flying everywhere. Jared even comes back into the farther back sections of the venue during 'Kings and Queens'! This was a special show for the band's guitarist, Tomo, as Detroit was his hometown when he moved from Croatia to the United States.

If you live in a location that prevents you from experiencing the Carnivores Tour, you're in luck. Jared Leto's social ticketing company, VyRT, will be broadcasting Linkin Park's and Thirty Seconds To Mars' sets from the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, CA on September 15 - less than two weeks away! You can purchase a ticket for both sets for as low as $15, as well as buying a variety of packages for exclusive Thirty Seconds To Mars-related events, including a backstage tour, a post-show chat, and even an acoustic set! Jared has frequently been appearing on VyRT for a lo-fi webcast they call VyRT Violet and playing short acoustic sets. At the show in Tinley Park, IL, they attempted to VyRT them heading onstage to play their show, but the Internet did not cooperate. Will you join us on the 15th to experience the show through VyRT?

Who will be heading to the show? The summit? We know a lot of LPU members will be at the show! We're not exactly sure what set the band will be performing, since the tour was on break for a week. If you're going, stop by the Music For Relief booth and donate to the cause of stopping the current ebola epidemic currently taking place in Africa. We'll keep you updated on what occurs at the summit as well as the show both here on LPLive and on our Twitter!

Check out the rest of Linkin Park's 2014 touring schedule here.

Show Page Notes

Date: September 5, 2014

Venue: Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion

Tour: Carnivores Tour

Show #16 of 25

Event: 11th LPU Summit

SETIST:

01. Final Masquerade (Acoustic (Chester and Brad))

----------------------------------------------------

01. Mashup Intro #2 (w/ Session, 1stp Klosr, The Requiem, The Summoning, The Catalyst, Guilty All The Same)

02. Guilty All The Same
03. Given Up (Ext. Outro w/ Extra Note)
04. With You (Shortened Intro)
05. One Step Closer (Ext. Outro)
06. Blackout (Shortened (Intro and Partial Outro Instrumental Only); Ext. Papercut Beat Outro Transition)
07. Papercut (Shortened (No Second Verse or Second Chorus))
08. Rebellion (Ext. Intro)
09. Runaway (Shortened (Intro/First Verse/Chorus Only); Ext. Intro; Ext. Outro Transition w/ Wastelands Verse 1)
10. Wastelands
11. Castle Of Glass (Experience Version; Piano Transition Outro)
12. LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent (Ballad Medley)
13. Robot Boy (Shortened (Intro, Synth Bridge, and Ending Instrumental Only))
14. Joe Solo Medley (w/ Wretches And Kings, Victimized Remix, Buy Myself, Cure For The Itch, Session, Plc.4 Mie Hæd)
15. Numb (Numb/Encore Outro)
16. Waiting For The End (Apaches Intro w/ Until It Breaks Verse 2; Wall Of Noise Outro)
17. Final Masquerade
18. Mike Solo Medley (w/ Joe) (w/ Wretches And Kings, Remember The Name, When They Come For Me; Ext. Outro Transition)
19. Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying From You (2014 Abridged Version)
20. Somewhere I Belong
21. In The End
22. Faint (Ext. Outro)
----------------------------------------------------
23. Burn It Down (Shortened (No Second Verse or Second Chorus); Swirl Intro)
24. Lost In The Echo (Shortened (Intro/First Verse/First Chorus/Outro Only))
25. New Divide (Shortened (No Second Verse and Second Chorus))
26. Until It's Gone (Shortened (Intro/Hybrid Verse/Second Chorus/Transition Outro); Ext. Intro w/ Points Of Authority Rap 1)
27. What I've Done (Short Ticking Intro; Ext. Guitar Solo Bridge)
28. Bleed It Out (Ext. Intro; Ext. Bridge w/ Drum Solo + The Catalyst Refrain; Ext. Ending)

Show Notes:

- On the transition outro of 'Runaway', Mike rapped verse one of 'Wastelands'. Chester sang the first line of the bridge over the outro transition.
- Mike and Chester sang part of 'Numb/Encore' of the outro.
- Mike's solo portion of the show featured a 'hybrid' verse of 'Wretches And Kings', the chorus of 'Remember The Name' (by Fort Minor), and verse 1 of 'When They Come For Me'.
- Mike rapped the verse from 'Points Of Authority' over the extended intro of 'Until It's Gone'.
- During the bridge of 'Bleed It Out', Rob performed a drum solo before the band sang a refrain from 'The Catalyst'.

Other Notes:

- The 11th annual LPU Summit was held before the show. The band broadcasted their Q&A session on VyRT.

- This is the only time the band has performed a song other than 'The Messenger' acoustic for a second time, that song being 'Final Masquerade'.

Something special will happen for this gig. Nothing major and crazy but I'm sure there will be something special dedicated the the LPU for the show.

With that said, same deal as last time summit go-ers. Take thousands of gear pictures and I will forever be your friend!

But all in all, enjoy it people attending!

I have not high expectation for something special for this show. I think we will RME over the intro of BIO again. But who knows...

'A Place For My Head', 'By Myself', and 'When They Come For Me' are in the lead.

WTCFM (48 votes) is not is in the lead. No More Sorrow has 56 votes like By Myself :)

I'm hoping they will play APFMH tonight. Maybe even close the set with it like they were planing to do for Darien Center. If they don't play it tonight, I guess the only special thing we can expect tonight is RME over BIO. As for the summit, I guess they will do a soundcheck since they played FM acoustic at Darien Center. Really cool to see The Carnivores Tour back after a week break!

I know this is a random post but this would be my dream setlist from Linkin Park to play live.

1) Session

2) Keys to the Kingdom

3) Papercut

4) All For Nothing

5) Lying From You

6) With You

7) When They Come For Me

8) I'll Be Gone

9) Wastelands

10) Somewhere I Belong

11) Lost in the Echo

12) Rebellion

13) Waiting for the End

14) Final Masquerade

15) Powerless

16) Leave out all the Rest

17) Breaking the Habit

18) Numb

19) Crawling

20) Burn it Down

21) What I've done

22) In the End

23) Faint

24) One Step Closer

25) A Place for my Head

26) A Line in the Sand

27) Bleed it Out

This will never happen but its fun :D

Edited by Thor

No APFMH :( Now I officially have no hope for suprises in this tour, if nothing happened for summit shows, nothing will happen for "normal" shows :( this is sad... I cannot live the experience of this Carnivores tour cause I don't live in USA, so it may be more exciting that it seems from behind a pc, but I expected this tour to be more Carnivores, with surprises, three sets well rotated to play lot of songs full of energy and maybe a collaboration onstage with 30STM... this last thing can still happen though (maybe at the end of the tour)... I'm just a bit disappointed for the lack of surprises.

Man, what am amazing show! I've never left a LP show disappointed.

The crowd was awesome as usual, and Chester mentioned that Brad said this show sold out faster than any other show on the tour so far.

The coolest part of the night before LP started was Jared Leto, near the end of the 3STM set, taking the ice bucket challenge. He said he got challenged by Rod Ryan, one of the morning DJs on 94.5 The Buzz.

Disappointed that I didn't get to go the LPU summit, but, I've met the guys twice, and I'll always remember that :)

I find very sad record a CD with 12 tracks and disclose only 5 songs on tour, THP station perfect almost all songs, and leave out Keys To The Kingdom, A Line In The Sand, and others, and keep repeating the same 40x.... setlist. Just as they did in 2012 with Il be Gone and Powerless, sso the LP will be eternally disclosures

Edited by HybridSoldier.LP

I find very sad record a CD with 12 tracks and disclose only 5 songs on tour, THP station perfect almost all songs, and leave out Keys To The Kingdom, A Line In The Sand, and others, and keep repeating the same 40x.... setlist. Just as they did in 2012 with Il be Gone and Powerless, sso the LP will be eternally disclosures

I have a feeling they'll never perform Powerless, which is all time favorite by the way, or any other Living Things song live.