No DSPs / Record Shows!

hahninator

I have a question, would my canon Powershot A1400 HD do any good?

Of course mate.It can record 720p video with 30fps and mono lossless PCM.

Plus your ipod to record the lossless stereo audio by app.You can get a really good result. :P

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably not. phone mics are not designed for anything other than speaking volume and pitch, they can't handle loud, bass-heavy frequencies. plus even if you close all apps, you still have so many other features running in the background on your phone that you'd lose battery quite quickly!

You'd be surprised. I usually record a few songs from every concert I go to with my iPhone 5. I recorded Radioactive by Imagine Dragons which is really bass heavy (dat drop doe), and the audio quality didn't falter. The only issue with recording with smartphones is getting a good video. It takes a steady hand and a bunch of refocusing to get it just right.

If you can afford expensive phones and big shows why don't you buy proper audio recording equipment and camcorder? Nowadays all equipment are tiny, you can sneak them in easily.

Fuck all those shit digicam/cellphone recordings. Those are ruining the taper/trader scene. :angry:

Edited by LPMaskMan

If you can afford expensive phones and big shows why don't you buy proper audio recording equipment and camcorder? Nowadays all equipment are tiny, you can sneak them in easily.

Fuck all those shit digicam/cellphone recordings. Those are ruining the taper/trader scene. :angry:

Gotta agree on that. Digicam is still ok in certain cases, but cellphone is total garbage. Rather enjoy it full or do the taping thing with good focus on it.

Anyways, you from LPL Staff know where I'll be ;)

Gotta agree on that. Digicam is still ok in certain cases, but cellphone is total garbage. Rather enjoy it full or do the taping thing with good focus on it.

Anyways, you from LPL Staff know where I'll be ;)

Some expensive digicams are make very nice videos (like Panasonic Lumix series). But most of them are crap.

Some expensive digicams are make very nice videos (like Panasonic Lumix series). But most of them are crap.

Sony HX9V + HX20V are absolutely ok too if you use them with external audio. Perfect example is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoXUiAp166g by AndOne himself. I also know plenty footage filmed with HX20V and they are absolutely ok. Audio is the main issues with the Digicams. Got myself a HX9V for this summer in case I get caught with Camcorder.

What the hell is so bad about digicams? If it records in HD with 30fps or better and the audio quality is decent, isn't that just as good, if not better than what camcorders were capable of a few years ago? This isn't 2004 anymore when digicams recorded mono audio with a max resolution of 480p at 24fps, lol.

I'll never understand the snobby "I'd rather have incomplete song clips recorded with professional gear than a complete digicam source" attitude that's popped up in the taping community the last few years. My video recordings are done with a Sony DSC-W690, they're better than a bunch of the other shit you see on Youtube and DEFINITELY better than anything people put on Instagram, and I'm not sorry about it. :P

Judge recordings with your eyes and ears, not with your wallet, people.

Edited by Astat

Sony HX9V + HX20V are absolutely ok too if you use them with external audio. Perfect example is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoXUiAp166g by AndOne himself. I also know plenty footage filmed with HX20V and they are absolutely ok. Audio is the main issues with the Digicams. Got myself a HX9V for this summer in case I get caught with Camcorder.

Is the audio of that video the original one?

You'd be surprised. I usually record a few songs from every concert I go to with my iPhone 5. I recorded Radioactive by Imagine Dragons which is really bass heavy (dat drop doe), and the audio quality didn't falter. The only issue with recording with smartphones is getting a good video. It takes a steady hand and a bunch of refocusing to get it just right.

What do you use to record audio with from your iPhone? Is there an app I should download before Carnivores?

What do you use to record audio with from your iPhone? Is there an app I should download before Carnivores?

I just use the default camera sound lol. If you cup your hand around the speaker without completely muffling it it gets better sound.

• 2 weeks later...

So Pooch just tweeted within the hour that if we want DSPs, we need to organise a campaign and let the band know. He says "if enough people ask for it, they will do it."

I would love to start a petition, but I think a petition in and of itself is pretty meaningless... we need to give the band concrete examples about how the process can and should work.

I think we can all agree that in the last few years, the DSPs have barely been promoted/advertised.

I have a couple of suggestions that I think would increase the sales of DSPs, I would love for others to chime in with some ideas too:

- Revert to the old process of selling blank CD-Rs with codes for the DSPs at shows. People spend ridiculous amounts on band merch at shows, and the opportunity to own a recording of the show they just witnessed for $10 is an absolute bargain. I did always find the inclusion of a CD-R fairly pointless since more often than not, the entire show would not fit on a CD-R in the audio CD format. Perhaps, to reflect the length of the shows and the increasing shift towards digital technology, maybe the band could sell LP-branded USB drives at the shows which include a code to download the DSP for that evening?

- Much like many of the ticketing sites try to sell physical and digital copies of the band's albums with ticket purchases, perhaps the DSP can be offered as an upgrade at this point in the sales process? That way, they have an opportunity to explain what the DSP is and hopefully encourage sales at this early stage of the process.

- I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain Metallica advertise via their Facebook page when a new show DSP is available to download. With LP having over 62m fans, surely a timed post (per city) promoting each DSP would result in additional sales?

I'm happy to escalate this... but I'd appreciate further opinions and ideas before doing so.

Edited by Narc85

LP Live tried a petition before, it didn't work...

Which is why I said a petition in and of itself wouldn't be enough. It will need to be a fairly coordinated activity and I feel we would need to provide good examples of how it can work.

Yeah. It's more complicated than fans requesting it. It does involve copyrights with Warner, band, manager, productions, event promoter, contracts. We did the other petition for older DSPs... Management got the emails, they knows about it and it never happened and i doubt it will ever happens.

A big exemple of how they 'listen to the fans' are the setlist. Do you remember for how long we were asking them to add or change the setlist in the past? Can't remember the exactly date but maybe its from 2007 (?)

The point is... Unfortunately they don't mind what we want or not. It's up for the 'whole crew' decision.

It's just a big ilusion making petitions!

Maybe you will agree or not but.. its my sincerely opnion.

I'd say your argument of fans influencing setlist changes in 2007 is untrue. They started the rotating sets also because they started selling those shows. A few things here and there later on might have been influenced by fan requests but we'll never know that for sure. Just because for example APFMH came back in 2008 for a while doesn't mean the countless petitions for years actually worked, like you said,

I honestly don't recall setlists being a big "issue" before MTM. It just got more and more with each album because they had to leave out more and more songs.

I'd say your argument of fans influencing setlist changes in 2007 is untrue. They started the rotating sets also because they started selling those shows. A few things here and there later on might have been influenced by fan requests but we'll never know that for sure. Just because for example APFMH came back in 2008 for a while doesn't mean the countless petitions for years actually worked, like you said,

I honestly don't recall setlists being a big "issue" before MTM. It just got more and more with each album because they had to leave out more and more songs.

Yeah, we will never know if they changed the set due requests. Maybe i'm wrong..
But looking on the business point... It's really a matter of what the whole staff thinks.
Everything they do, they need permissions from label, management etc.
Is that band's fault? Don't think so.. it's more about rules and agreements.

The band could just play 1 set for the whole tour like they used to and then I guess this kind of thing wouldn't matter. It would suck, but maybe it would fix it. I kind of liked the simplicity of having 1 set for each tour.

That would really make me stop going to so many shows. If they had one set for Carnivores I would do the first 3 shows and that's it. Since they'll be rotating 3 setlists, I'll be going to the first 9.

Well look at it this way, you'd have a hell of a lot more $ in your pocket.