Altwire/LPA Reviews THP 6 Song Sampler

hahninator

Derek from LPAssociation and Altwire recently was able to listen to six songs from the new Linkin Park album "The Hunting Party" and is the first person from the fan side to review what he heard. Check out his full writeup of the six tracks on the press sampler for the new album here.

The review starts off by saying, "Linkin Park channel Bad Religion, Black Flag, Helmet, Refused and other early influential rock bands in some of their most electrifying and aggressive sounding tracks to date. Learn why this album may just be Linkin Park’s middle finger to Alternative Rock’s “Status Quo” in our early preview below."

An excerpt about the song 'Until It's Gone', the new single from the band:

Until It's Gone

Beginning with a synth line reminiscent of 2003's "Numb" from their sophomore release Meteora, Until It's Gone takes a sharp turn into an unexpected brooding goth rock anthem, proving to be one of the most atmospheric and diverse songs on the 6 song sampler. It took me by surprise on the first listen, and is actually one of my favorite songs the band has done in recent memory. With it's gorgeous choir like backing vocals, and intense orchestral backdrop this song stays with you, and impacts you long after well...'It's Gone'. Atmospherically similar to the band's 2010 release A Thousand Suns, Chester looks back woefully in regret at a failed relationship, singing "I thought I kept you safe and sound, I thought I made you strong, but something made me realize, that I was wrong." It wouldn't be out of place to expect this as the band's next single given its highly memorable sound and powerful melodies.

Closing out the review, Derek says,

"There’s no denying that The Hunting Party will polarize the fan base when it comes out on June 17th. Much like the band’s landmark record A Thousand Suns, the tracks I’ve heard off of The Hunting Party showcase the band sticking their necks out to take a creative risk musically, that will shock certain fans and listeners upon the initial first listen.

It’s bold, it’s beautiful and rest assured the changes are extremely welcome. Linkin Park have swooped in like a caped crusader to save rock music, and have made a statement that will be sure to turn many heads this summer. Look for The Hunting Party in stores, on June 17th, 2014."

Read the full review of Keys To The Kingdom, All For Nothing, Guilty All The Same, Wastelands, Until It's Gone, and Rebellion, check out the LPA thread here.

Congrats to Derek, LPA and Altwire for the review, and we are very pleased to see that the band's management/label is allowing fans to be a part of the new album promo - from the fansites releasing THP's tracklisting to a fansite reviewing the new material!

It's awesome how LP management is letting the fanbase be such a big part in the promotion of the album.

+1000

Finally someone gets it...not sure who there is responsible but at least someone understands fans should be a part of the promo for a CD. It really hypes the hardcore fanbase up, especially when there have been zero good song reviews so far and the coverage of the 6 song sampler was spotty at best. A+.

"This is war with no weapons, marchin' with no steppin', killin' with no weapons, ill in every direction"

I can't wait to hear Wastelands lol... He makes it sound like this is one of Mike's best rap performances. He rhymed weapons with weapons apparently, but it's ok.

"This is war with no weapons, marchin' with no steppin', killin' with no weapons, ill in every direction"

I can't wait to hear Wastelands lol... He makes it sound like this is one of Mike's best rap performances. He rhymed weapons with weapons apparently, but it's ok.

Holy crap, you just made me realize I had a huge mistake. The line is "murder with no killin". I will fix that now! Thank you!

And no, Daron doesn't sing on the track. Unfortunately. Still a great track though!

Edited by LPADerek

And no, Daron doesn't sing on the track. Unfortunately. Still a great track though!

Oh no, I think that a LP song with Daron's vocal would be cool. But now I realized that a LP and SOAD (both Serji and Daron) collaboration would be even better, maybe on the next album :)

Looks like Daron's vocals won't appear on the album, but Page Hamilton's will. Daron's vocals was one of the things I was most excited for in THP, but I hope Derek just didn't mention that and Daron's vocals will appear on THP.

I think the only guest vocals will be from Rakim & Page Hamilton. I think Daron Malakian & Tom Morello will just be instrumental guests, which is fine, IMO. They are great guitarists and are more known for their guitar work than vocals. Page Hamilton is the lead singer of Helmet so that is probably why he is doing vocals.

I'm excited for Mikes rapping, I really hope that shines on this album. Honestly I've been disappointed with some of it on Living Things and A Thousand Suns. I think his wordplay was on point and Minutes to Midnight, and his verse on I'll Be Gone remix blew Pusha out of the water. I'm a huge Pusha T fan too, but Mike went all in. The excerpt that Derek wrote doesn't have me that hyped to be honest. Mike shouldn't fall on the Ryu path of limited to one category.