LPU XIII Follow Up

hahninator

Following LPU XIII's launch yesterday, there have been several changes in how the LP Underground works! The team has been hard at work over the past year to redefine how the community works and how you are engaged with the LPU. I wanted to run through a few of the changes for everyone.

First of all, one of the goals with LPU XIII was to make your LP Underground membership as customizable as possible. To become an LPU member now, it is simply just $20 with the digital subscription. That means you can join a thriving community for an amount that is less than and worth much more "value" than other big name artists. With this membership, you can still enter to get a Meet & Greet pass, view LPUTV/LPTV episodes and download them, and get access to pre-sale tickets. The online aspect and M&G aspect doesn't change and is now even more affordable than it was before at only $20/year.

With the different package options, LPU is allowing you to "pick and choose" what you want. If you want to just be an online only member and enter to receive a M&G when you are able to see Linkin Park, then that is available to you. If you want to receive a merch bundle, you can add that to your membership. If you don't want the merch and want to enter the shows early with a laminate/lanyard, then you are also able to add that to your membership. With the "ALL IN ONE + CD" package, there is a $13 discount available, making it only $57. For shipping questions.... Shipping is being addressed for international members today since there was a glitch! For USA members, shipping is very affordable in LPU XIII.

The merch in LPU XIII is of great quality...the soccer jersey, which has been in the vision of the LPU team for a long time, is now finally available and better yet, it is made from 100% recycled plastic bottles. Along with Music For Relief and their other endeavors, this shows Linkin Park's commitment to and interest in environmental sustainability. Dika Toolkit, a popular figure in the online community, has designed all of the artwork for LPU XIII, including the new poster. The CD disc and booklet are completely designed with Dika's artwork as well.

The PlugAir is one of the newest items to be introduced to the LPU. The idea is that exclusive content can be "pushed" to LPU members "through the cloud" so that they are able to access cool stuff right from their phones. Hypothetically (I'm just guessing at the possibilities), perhaps Mike wants to give an update from the studio - he is able to do it instantly and have it sent right to peoples' phones via PlugAir. Or if the band wants to show a picture or two from the studio, that's all possible with the PlugAir. And it's just for LPU members.

The big questions here is "Why are Summits no longer included in the LPU package?" The reason that they are no longer included is because with Summits (depending on the city and venue), only a VERY small fraction of LPU members were able to take advantage of the Summits. Everyone was paying for Summits when only a small amount of members could actually attend. At the same time, this is why the digital membership is now $20 instead of $25 and the lanyard/laminate ($5) can be purchased separately. At festivals (which a lot of international LPU members can only attend due to how the band tours), early entry for LPU is not allowed. Even at some select headlining shows like in New York last summer, the early entry is pointless since the venue is all seated.

The goal, like I said, is to make the LPU customizable for everyone. With no Summits coming up anytime soon since Linkin Park is in the studio, it would be pretty pointless to make everyone pay for an included Summit when there logically could even only be one or two from November 2013 to November 2014. With the band's touring not even set for 2014, it's impossible to know the Summit schedule now. This is why the Summit is not included in the LPU packages for LPU XIII. When Summits ARE announced in the future, they will be aimed to be affordable for the LPU fans that are able to go.

Hopefully this clears up any questions fans had on the new version of the LP Underground. The team wanted to give a very customizable experience to those fans worldwide since not everyone sees the band live and not everyone can attend a Summit!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PlugAir is one of the newest items to be introduced to the LPU. The idea is that exclusive content can be "pushed" to LPU members "through the cloud" so that they are able to access cool stuff right from their phones. Hypothetically (I'm just guessing at the possibilities), perhaps Mike wants to give an update from the studio - he is able to do it instantly and have it sent right to peoples' phones via PlugAir. Or if the band wants to show a picture or two from the studio, that's all possible with the PlugAir. And it's just for LPU members.

I am curious on how a jack plug can actually transfer data..

Or could it be just an hardware key which the App looks for when launched?

The big questions here is "Why are Summits no longer included in the LPU package?" The reason that they are no longer included is because with Summits (depending on the city and venue), only a VERY small fraction of LPU members were able to take advantage of the Summits. Everyone was paying for Summits when only a small amount of members could actually attend. At the same time, this is why the digital membership is now $20 instead of $25 and the lanyard/laminate ($5) can be purchased separately. At festivals (which a lot of international LPU members can only attend due to how the band tours), early entry for LPU is not allowed. Even at some select headlining shows like in New York last summer, the early entry is pointless since the venue is all seated.

Now THIS is a valid point. Edited by Nameless

Or could i be just an hardware key which the App looks for when launched?

I don't have one yet so I might be mistaken, but I THINK what it does is allow you to just ACCESS data in the cloud instead of having it transferred. It's like a key to access something. I would imagine with this allowing LP to control exactly what and for how long we see things, we might get clips of songs, videos, etc through this. And that would be badass.

Yes the Summit thing is very understandable. From a selfish viewpoint, I was complaining about the price jumping up, but the experience is much more customizable now for fans. I'm sure they will try to make the Summit cheaper than $50 when the next opportunity comes up to have one.

There's two ways to look at it. One is the first way I looked at it initially and that's "WTF the price went up, and where's my Summit?" Two is how I look at it now and that's "Well now people can get the exact LPU experience they want, they aren't forced to pay for stuff they aren't going to, and I like how they approached this for this year."

Or could it be just an hardware key which the App looks for when launched?

It doesn't transfer data, it's a dongle.

What I'm more curious about, can you still access the data once plugair is unplugged cause it obviously prevents you from using headphones.

That's what i said :P

I never seen one with a jack plug, i am interested on how the connection works.

Edit:

It doesn't transfer data, it's a dongle.

What I'm more curious about, can you still access the data once plugair is unplugged cause it obviously prevents you from using headphones.

I hope this exclusive content could be saved, otherwise would be a huge fail :lol: Edited by Nameless

Great post! Still not sure what the price hike is about but it's good they have options. Personally going to wait till LPU14 to renew because that's when I think the US tour is happening and I get the most for my money when LP tours.

Also very curious to see how we'll the PlugAir thing will work. LP is always trying new tech.

https://vimeo.com/user22719803

Watch videos here - it explains how the PlugAir thing works.

Also another piece of information regarding LPU XIII:

"For the first 13 days everyone who joins or renews will receive a special digital gift."

I wonder where can I find it. Maybe I took something for granted which was actually a special gift? Or will it be available later?

- Sergii

The special digital gift will be emailed to everyone that joined during the first 13 days post 13 days. It will be an awesome surprise.

I'm now curious if international members who payed $24.29 for Shipping & Processing will get a $6 refund, cause it's now $18.29.

http://vimeo.com/79540104 - Ignoring the fact that they literally uploaded the same video twice with different background music...LPU 13 launches on the 18th...video promoting key portion of LPU 13 posted on the 19th, with background music that is nowhere to be found on the new LPU CD. Yay for something else to add to the Lost Songs thread! :lol:

*Edit* It's in this video too: http://vimeo.com/79537910 Maybe it's not an LP song at all?

Edited by Astat

http://vimeo.com/79540104 - Ignoring the fact that they literally uploaded the same video twice with different background music...LPU 13 launches on the 18th...video promoting key portion of LPU 13 posted on the 19th, with background music that is nowhere to be found on the new LPU CD. Yay for something else to add to the Lost Songs thread! :lol:

*Edit* It's in this video too: http://vimeo.com/79537910 Maybe it's not an LP song at all?

That sounds like some Pretty Hate Machine shit. I'll take a pass on that (though PHM was a good album, wasn't my favorite NIN work)

I guess it is cool that people could pay 20 bucks to get in early to shows, M&G opportunities, etc. Of coarse this will mean a lot more people will be doing this, so getting front row for a LP show may be a nightmare. I'm glad I am choosing to only get seat tickets for LP shows from now on. As far as the PlugAir, it sounds kind of cool. I hope we get some really cool stuff from Mike in the studio, etc, instead of just access to LPTV and the LPU13 demos, etc. It could be revolutionary.

I guess it is cool that people could pay 20 bucks to get in early to shows, M&G opportunities, etc. Of coarse this will mean a lot more people will be doing this, so getting front row for a LP show may be a nightmare. I'm glad I am choosing to only get seat tickets for LP shows from now on. As far as the PlugAir, it sounds kind of cool. I hope we get some really cool stuff from Mike in the studio, etc, instead of just access to LPTV and the LPU13 demos, etc. It could be revolutionary.

It could be worse. It was literally IMPOSSIBLE to get front row tickets for a lot of big 70s/80s rock bands for many years because they'd reserve the front row tickets, never put them on sale, and then give them out as comp tickets to hot women on the night of the show, so every time a photo/video would show the audience, it would give the illusion that women were flocking to the band in droves. Seriously. Common practice for 20+ years for every band from KISS to Poison, Van Halen to Motley Crue.

It could be worse. It was literally IMPOSSIBLE to get front row tickets for a lot of big 70s/80s rock bands for many years because they'd reserve the front row tickets, never put them on sale, and then give them out as comp tickets to hot women on the night of the show, so every time a photo/video would show the audience, it would give the illusion that women were flocking to the band in droves. Seriously. Common practice for 20+ years for every band from KISS to Poison, Van Halen to Motley Crue.

No, I mean it's great for those people who want to fight to get front row and stuff, the LPU is giving those people a great opportunity to get to the front for a cheaper price than usually. Pretty cool. I just personally am not gonna try and be in the pit or front row, I've been to 15 shows for LP now and I was at the front for almost all of them except for a few. Seats ftw.

No, I mean it's great for those people who want to fight to get front row and stuff, the LPU is giving those people a great opportunity to get to the front for a cheaper price than usually. Pretty cool. I just personally am not gonna try and be in the pit or front row, I've been to 15 shows for LP now and I was at the front for almost all of them except for a few. Seats ftw.

See, I like that. The cheaper price allows you to spend less money and get: M&Gs, presales for GOOD seats (LP makes good seats available to the LPU - always), and laminates for early entry.

See, I like that. The cheaper price allows you to spend less money and get: M&Gs, presales for GOOD seats (LP makes good seats available to the LPU - always), and laminates for early entry.

Yeah, which will be awesome because I plan on getting seat tickets for LP shows from now on. With seats, you are guaranteed your spot and I can get in early to get merch first, etc.

https://vimeo.com/user22719803

Watch videos here - it explains how the PlugAir thing works.

Also another piece of information regarding LPU XIII:

I'm now curious if international members who payed $24.29 for Shipping & Processing will get a $6 refund, cause it's now $18.29.

Wait what? A refund? They'll say that at the time the price was 24.29 but now its 6 bucks cheaper and if I want I can buy it again. :D

Hmm this doesn't mean a refund. I bet they'll send out a discount codes to use on almost nothing in the shop..I still have the one I got on 12 and I couldn't use it on items I would like to get so..

It's better than nothing. And if I'm not mistaken, Lorenzo wrote that there's gonna be some new stuff in store later

So the LPU emails regarding the "refund" has been sent. And they are quite funny cause they are telling you to accept their method = full refund = international members will probably loose money on the currency conversion, re-purchase the package and you only have a week for that. In this case $6 isn't worth the trouble. Why not send out lpu store $6 Discount Codes?

Edited by michalangelo