Album Revival Theory

RogueSoul

I've had this theory for awhile now and I see a few people have also picked up on it. So here I go.

As we all know, LP revived many older songs from Hybrid Theory and one from Meteora. These songs are Points Of Authority, With You, Runaway, A Place For My Head, and Somewhere I Belong. The touring cycle got a lot of love for HT, playing at most 8 songs from the album. Meteora recieved a single revival: SIB. Though all the singles were played from the album at some point, nothing very unexpected returned (in HT's case, WY and Runaway returned after being dropped from a permanent setlist spot for about six years). Will the same happen with Meteora?

My theory is that every album cycle, they will revisit an older album, playing material from the next consecutive album from the previous cycle.

Confused? Here's a simpler representation:

2012-2013: Hybrid Theory, LIVING THINGS

2014-2015 Meteora, 6th Album

2016-2017 Minutes To Midmight, 7th Album

2018-2019 A Thousand Suns, 8th Album

2020-2021 LIVING THINGS, 9th Album

Since there is no telling when the band will 'break-up', this is how I see it happening.

What songs do you think wi return if my theory is correct? Here's my hopes:

Meteora: Don't Stay, Easier To Run (Dropped after promo tour), Figure.09

Minutes To Midnight: In Pieces, No More Sorrow, No Roads Left (Debut)

A Thousand Suns: When They Come For Me, Wretches and Kings, Blackout

LIVING THINGS: IN MY REMAINS, I'LL BE GONE (Debut), ROADS UNTRAVELED (Debut), POWERLESS (Debut)

Might be, but I personally think the revival of With You was because so many fans wanted it back. And Mike mentioned in 2011, that they are going to see how it works.

It would be really great if your theory happens, but the big problem is, that every new album (6th, 7th, 8th...) comes with 2-3 singles, which will be played all the time. Plus: Old singles like Numb, ITE, New Divide, BID... have their spot in the setlists. (forever, I think). So there is no space for old songs/non singles when they play a 90 minutes set (what I think they will do). Unfortunatly :(

IF they decide to revisit Meteora on the next cycle and start a sort of pattern, I think Don't Stay is the only song they'll really "revive," but I also imagine they'd start playing Lying From You and From the Inside regularly again.

IF they decide to revisit Meteora on the next cycle and start a sort of pattern, I think Don't Stay is the only song they'll really "revive," but I also imagine they'd start playing Lying From You and From the Inside regularly again.

I don't count singles as revivals. So like you said only Don't Stay is the "possible" revival from Meteora. As much it's an interesting idea they are not gonna play Hit The Floor, Easier To Run or even Nobody's Listening (and Figure.09).

Yeah, the "deep cuts" off of Meteora are either tricky to pull off live from a technical standpoint (Easier to Run/Figure.09 - both of them are played on guitars re-strung with tunings that Brad never used for any other songs. Easy to do in 2003-2004 when he only used 3 or 4 tunings, much trickier now with how his guitar rig have evolved) or not particularly liked by the band and/or their fans (Hit the Floor/Nobody's Listening). Session would also be a good candidate to be brought back again, but instrumental tracks are always tricky to find a spot for in the setlist. I'm still surprised it came back in 2009!

Hit the Floor is like Meteora's By Myself - 90% of the song is based around one incredibly repetitive, not-particularly-interesting guitar riff. They're about equal musically, but Hit the Floor's lyrics aren't nearly as good. Putting it that way makes By Myself sound good...but it's actually my least favorite song on Hybrid Theory. THAT'S why I don't like Hit the Floor, lol.

I understand when people don't like some songs for some reason or even without reason, but this one maligned often.

---

I want to add another thing about this theory - A Thousand Suns. If they stopped to play this album two years after it was released, why/how they gonna bring it back?

LT wasn't really a game changer or thematic like the last two records, they weren't as focused as they were before with promoting it, and since it had a partial return to the roots theme they probably felt it was the right time to revisit the oldies we'd been begging them to play again. There's probably nothing else to it but it would be nice to hear some rarer Meteora too!

LT wasn't really a game changer or thematic like the last two records, they weren't as focused as they were before with promoting it, and since it had a partial return to the roots theme they probably felt it was the right time to revisit the oldies we'd been begging them to play again.

Nice thought.

If we combined your opinion with Soul idea, they will play HT in their "roots" mood, MTM in their "rock" mood, and ATS in their "electronic" mood.

But the sixth album (and its success) can change everything anyway.

I wish Valentine's Day would get revived. One of my favorite LP songs of all time and severely underrated.

I love that song up until the extremely ciringeworthy "on a Valentine's day" lyric. The composition and the way it builds are fantastic but it's all brought down by one extremely bad phrase near the end.

I love that song up until the extremely ciringeworthy "on a Valentine's day" lyric. The composition and the way it builds are fantastic but it's all brought down by one extremely bad phrase near the end.

Oh, I love the 'on a valentine's day' part, such a great song. Much better than the insanely overly hugely electronic shit LP is doing nowadays.

They play whatever they feel more comfortable, they dont like to play tricky songs.

end of the discussion lol

No, they're just afraid to play non-singles, or songs that are a bit harder to pull off. Incredibly boring. This is why that the SSMF might be the last LP show I attend. When I go to see my favorite band, I expect to have fun and see some new songs from the new album, stuff like that. Look at Muse's set for example. Matt is a genius and Muse isn't afraid to take risks, especially live. They get worldwide praise for their live show, and they don't just only play singles. They play non-singles, b-sides and singles from long ago that aren't ''popular'' in the mainstream anymore. LP did bring back some old HT songs for the LT tour, but I expected to hear some more of the actual new album as well, and I'm willing to bet that all those HT songs will not last with the next touring cycle. Basically, LP would rather choose In The End or Numb, every single show, rather than try a older song or a non-single even ONCE. It's also funny that one of the few non-singles in the set is LIES GREED MISERY, which is absolutely horrible live. They could definitely replace that one with a better choice.

Oh, I love the 'on a valentine's day' part, such a great song. Much better than the insanely overly hugely electronic shit LP is doing nowadays.

I agree, I love that song. My favorite part is towards the end when he's singing "On a Valentine's day" with the "I used to be my own protection.." part in the background.

No, they're just afraid to play non-singles, or songs that are a bit harder to pull off. Incredibly boring. Basically, LP would rather choose In The End or Numb, every single show, rather than try a older song or a non-single even ONCE.

Unfortunately I agree. Every time I think about why they play almost all singles now I remember the LPTV with Brad pointing at the setlist (specifically at COG) and telling Mike "Well that's the single so we HAVE to play that one". That actually really aggravated me. Obviously I'm not in a position to tell LP what they should play, and I like COG, but I disagree with that logic. For a band who now claims to do "whatever they want" it's like....really? You do whatever you want but you HAVE to play the singles? If they drop Numb for a tour, sure there would be casual fans saying "aww they didn't play the song I came to hear!" but so what? It's like they would rather appeal to the casual audience then the hardcore fans. The only reason I could see a band doing that is because the casual fans have the numbers, which translate to ticket sales. I'm not trying to insult them, it just disappointing to me as a fan that they always play it safe, when I KNOW if they started over from scratch with their setlists and didn't once say "well we HAVE to play this one and that one", and just played what they WANT to play without considering how many casual OR hardcore fans/members of management/WHOEVER would be let down, they could make an amazing show...

Unfortunately I agree. Every time I think about why they play almost all singles now I remember the LPTV with Brad pointing at the setlist (specifically at COG) and telling Mike "Well that's the single so we HAVE to play that one". That actually really aggravated me.

I think this "we have to" it's because COG is a NEW single, not just a single. This "we have to" is because people come to see that song because they listen to it on the radio/TV and maybe don't know the rest of the album.