Linkin Park cancels Manchester show

hahninator

Unfortunately due to the May 22nd terrorist attack, Manchester Arena has announced that they will not be open until at least September. As Linkin Park was scheduled to play the arena on July 7th to close the current European Tour, this affects the band.

"Following last month’s devastating attack on the city we are now working towards re-opening Manchester Arena in early September.
Whilst it was always our intention to honour our existing summer events, the damage caused to the main public area outside of the arena has left us with no other option than to remain closed until September.
We are currently working with the promoters of our June, July and August shows to find suitable solutions for events affected by this unprecedented closure.
We would like to offer our heartfelt gratitude to all our customers and friends for their continued support and patience during this time and our ongoing thoughts and prayers remain with all those affected by the 22 May atrocity."

6/15 EDIT: Linkin Park has confirmed the cancellation.

"Following last month's tragic incident and the subsequent temporary closure of the main area outside the venue, Linkin Park’s One More Light Tour scheduled for Friday 7 July 2017 is unfortunately no longer able to take place at Manchester Arena.
Tickets will be automatically refunded and should appear in customers’ accounts within 4-5 working days.
Other shows on the One More Light Tour are not affected and will continue as planned, including London’s The O2 on Monday 3 July, O2 Academy Brixton on Tuesday 4 July and Birmingham’s Barclaycard Arena on Thursday 6 July. Tickets for these shows are available here: https://www.livenation.co.uk/artist/linkin-park-tickets"
From Linkin Park:
"We have been informed by Manchester Arena that the venue will not be ready in time for our scheduled performance on July 7th. We would like our fans to know that we have looked into every possible option to perform in Manchester, but all comparable venues are booked at that time. Tickets for Manchester will be refunded and you will be given the option to rebook for the Birmingham and London shows on a first come, first served basis. Thank you all for your support and understanding. We love Manchester and can't wait to come back soon!!”

That's terrible. I hope LP does find a way to reschedule the show instead of canceling it altogether. I know it would take coordination with the arena and the band, but as of now LP don't really seem to have anything scheduled for September.

Too much work to ship everything over for just one show. They'll either just cancel it completely right now and play Manchester on the next European Tour next year, or they'll find a replacement right now. It seems difficult to move a show to a new arena, refund everyone and sell tickets again...and with London O2 not selling good enough for a second night I bet they're weary of trying to do Nottingham, Leeds, or Sheffield on such short notice. I bet they just come back at a future date and scrap this show.

Other cool solutions:

- Team up with Blink and do a big outdoor GA show at Emirates on July 8th (Blink is off that day)

- Play Manchester Apollo that night

If the logistics of rescheduling a full show this late are too crazy, I'd hope they'll at least do a stripped-down show like the NYC subway performance somewhere. Full band for a few songs/Mike and Chester (and maybe Brad) could do some more. They could at least pull off a 45-60 minute set I'm sure.

I've already got my tickets :( But I also have tickets for Brixton and Birmingham (which is now the last show of the tour!) so that will have to do!

Totally gutted. The first LP tour I won't be seeing since before 2003. :(

Though, to be honest I'm not sure how I'd have felt going to the arena, it would have been emotional.

Why don't you just go to one of the other shows? Trains aren't that expensive?

I've already got my tickets :( But I also have tickets for Brixton and Birmingham (which is now the last show of the tour!) so that will have to do!

Why don't you just go to one of the other shows? Trains aren't that expensive?

Because I have 9 month old twins and any other venue would probably involve a stop over in the city.

Used to do every show of the tour but unfortunately those days are gone! :lol:

Before that I thought LP will not come back to UK on the next tour because UK got a full arena tour with 4 concerts, but now they will make up that show 100 per cent! The only question is when will LP be back in Europe ? Beginning of 2018 like 2008 or again a summer tour in 2018 :ph34r:

Part of me doubts LP even tried to reschedule. They just don't seem like the type of band that cares. Maybe that's a wild assumption it's probably really difficult to reschedule a show.

I see Blink 182 changed their venue. They do a much more extensive tour of the UK (not just England). It'd be nice if LP, or whoever is responsible for arranging their tour, considered doing that again

Part of me doubts LP even tried to reschedule. They just don't seem like the type of band that cares. Maybe that's a wild assumption it's probably really difficult to reschedule a show.

I see Blink 182 changed their venue. They do a much more extensive tour of the UK (not just England). It'd be nice if LP, or whoever is responsible for arranging their tour, considered doing that again

Blink 182 is playing in July, weeks before LP's summer tour starts and we might not know every show for their asia tour in fall so they might have the same problem like they they had back in 2015, where shows were booked before Chester's incident happend.

IMO, there was no excuse not to make up the USA arena tour in October and November 2015. That was just lazy in MY opinion. They could have incorporated it around the few November shows they had + add some western cities like Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, somewhere in Texas, etc. Release a new single and hit the ground running that fall.

The album is ten songs and took an incredibly long time to record....idk I'm just bitter still about the tour cancellation when I see other bands busting their asses to make up shows. If that was Coldplay, Foo, etc they'd make it up. Pretty much anyone. And since it was B markets (or C sometimes), they aren't obviously going to play those this summer. Maybe they'll do a second USA tour for this album.