Samples

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since we're talking about Orchestra Strings 08 this artist also used it in his song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuJiQ7sjDXs

Do we know any other artists that have used Orchestra Strings 08?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November's_Chopin

5. "Besieged From All Sides" 四面楚歌 (Sì Miàn Chǔ Gē)

A piece which somewhat resembles hip-hop music, utilising a strong and heavy beat, as well as including violin, cello and synthesizer music. The majority of the track is rapped, while the chorus is sung. The lyrics, written entirely by Jay Chou, express his resentment for the paparazzi, openly calling them "dogs" which "bite an apple in their mouths and hold a camera in their hands" (他們咬著蘋果 手裡拿著長鏡頭), and tabloids as "dogs weekly" (狗週刊), who take photos of him for "bones". Towards the end of the track, Jay raps a few lines in Korean, being the only piece in which he has used a foreign (non-Chinese) language in a considerable amount. The orchestral background in the song is the "Apple loop" named "Orchestra Strings 08" found in GarageBand and also in Logic Pro. Fort Minor's "Believe Me", GReeeeN's "パリピポ", MYRS' "熱浪", and G&G Sindikatas's "Muzika Kuri Saugo", also use the same loop.

Edit:

Added "A Light That Never Comes (Coone Remix)".

Edited by lpliveusername

Pretty surprised that it isn't there yet but... Piano play in My December is actually a sample from High Voltage from HT EP.

No it isn't. Same note pattern, but different key, and one is a piano while the other is a synthesizer loop. That's like saying the guitar in From the Inside is sampled from Faint just because it uses the same chord progression.

No it isn't. Same note pattern, but different key, and one is a piano while the other is a synthesizer loop. That's like saying the guitar in From the Inside is sampled from Faint just because it uses the same chord progression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgNTcX3wFiQ 5:30

Rob said Mike retuned the sample. The example with FTI and Faint was bad, way too big difference, but I understand it might be just a fast thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgNTcX3wFiQ 5:30

Rob said Mike retuned the sample. The example with FTI and Faint was bad, way too big difference, but I understand it might be just a fast thought.

Doesn't say anything about it coming from High Voltage, just that Mike re-tuned some of his existing MPC piano samples while creating My December. If you pitch shift the High Voltage loop down to My December's key it still doesn't sound anything like it. High Voltage is also a 4-note sequence that repeats twice per bar using 3 pitches, while My December is a 16-note sequence that repeats once every two bars using 4 pitches.

Doesn't say anything about it coming from High Voltage, just that Mike re-tuned some of his existing MPC piano samples while creating My December. If you pitch shift the High Voltage loop down to My December's key it still doesn't sound anything like it. High Voltage is also a 4-note sequence that repeats twice per bar using 3 pitches, while My December is a 16-note sequence that repeats once every two bars using 4 pitches.

High Voltage A-C-B-C

My December D-F-E-F x2 + C-F-E-F x2

You can pitch up HV sequence then you get first MD sequence, then you chop off the first note of it and tune it down and bring it back to the sequence then you get the second sequence. Rest is just get this to sound more like MD, or just play it on piano, that's what Rob meant with "re-tuned and stuff". You may be right that MD is a recorded piano, not sample, but I think it was at least based on the sample.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Wastelands:
John Lennon - Power to the People [Reference]

Until it Breaks:
Notorious B.I.G. - Just Playing (Dreams) [Reference]

Hands Held High:
Jean-Paul Sartre - The Devil and the Good Lord (1951 play)

When They Come For Me:
Jay-Z - The Blueprint 2: The Gift and The Curse [Reference - Album title]

*Edit* Correction on one thing:

Sold My Soul to Yo Mama:

Somewhere I Belong isn't actually "sampled" in this. There's a clean guitar part that reprises a 4-note sequence also found in the clean guitar part from SIB, but it's not sourced from that recording (there's a second part to it that changes one of the notes, plus the rhythm is slightly different). It's a "reference" at best.
Edited by Astat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For me it seems like the guitar sample at the end of We Made It is the guitar sample from Papercut. I'm not quite sure if it's a sample or they rerecorded the guitar part.

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but today I noticed that the repeated sample at the end of War is used again in the bridge of Wastelands, just buried in the mix and hard to hear.

Are you sure it is the sample? Can you describe how do you hear it/how it sounds in the mix? Cause I don't hear the sample, but I hear something similar to the sample deep in the mix.

"Hike Hike Hike" mob

I laughed so hard at this description.

While I'm at this, I'm gonna say that the Figure.09 and Hit the Floor chorus synths sound really alike (the rapidly repeating ones for want of a more descriptive them).

Edited by Lorde-Wobbuffet

For me it seems like the guitar sample at the end of We Made It is the guitar sample from Papercut. I'm not quite sure if it's a sample or they rerecorded the guitar part.

Are you sure it is the sample? Can you describe how do you hear it/how it sounds in the mix? Cause I don't hear the sample, but I hear something similar to the sample deep in the mix.

Guitar at the end of We Made It was recorded in the same Taiwan studio Mike and Chester recorded the vocals in at the end of 2007. That was Brad's contribution to the song. So no, it's not sampled from Papercut.

And yeah, I don't hear the sample from the end of War in the bridge of Wastelands at all...that sample's not really at a speed that fits with the BPM of the Wastelands instrumental either.