Rock am Ring 2004 mixed by Mike Shinoda?

[AndOne]

So here's my hypothesis that Rock am Ring 2004 was mixed by Mike Shinoda:

- Back in the days Shinoda mixed important TV stuff, he mentions it in a tour diary that he mixed Detroit 2003 for TV. He did also Webster Hall 2007 according to the credits.

- The TV mix is the same as the mix for Breaking The Habit on the LPU 4.0 CD. Which has no credit who mixed it.

- Before the full show was aired in September 2004, the band requested the tape to be sent to Asia, where they continued their tour after Rock am Ring, to do further editing to the show before broadcasting it. I'm not 100% sure if that part with asia is correct but it was sent to the band to edit it.

- Now the real reason that I think that it was Shinoda is this: As mentioned above Shinoda is known to mix stuff and the other one is something I noticed many many years ago. During In The End 0:51:14 in

was a really loud and "dirty" laugh by Shinoda. That was obviously edited out, you can barely hear it anymore but it was very lound in the webcast version. That info can be also found on the show page but that comparission file I made got lost over time, so it's not available right now. I'll try to find it to get it back online.

So why on earth would anyone besides him remove that laughter?

I dont think much was done with the vocals. I know what you mean but I think it's just what his voice sounds like at this show, he sounds a little flat plus the different acoustics.

I wonder what caused the massive humming that was in the webcast and you can still hear a bit it in the TV version

I dont think much was done with the vocals. I know what you mean but I think it's just what his voice sounds like at this show, he sounds a little flat plus the different acoustics.

I wonder what caused the massive humming that was in the webcast and you can still hear a bit it in the TV version

That humming is very similar to the sound you get when you try to record something through the line-in on your computer. I used to run my old Behringer PMX5000 mixer that way (used a Y-jack to combine the L/R channels and plugged that into my line-in). I'd imagine the webcast mix wasn't a direct board feed, usually they have a supplemental console plugged into the main one that they use for those types of recordings. Either they didn't have an ideal setup for it, or they may have had some kind of grounding issue (I had the ground wire come loose on a guitar once and it produced some AWFUL humming).

I'd imagine Mike did "mix" the TV broadcast, but A/B'ing it with the webcast, it sounds like all that was really done was cleaning up the humming and a couple minor tweaks, as well as cutting down the intro/outro/encore break. Other than that, the TV broadcast is pretty much an upgraded version of the webcast, audio-wise.

Sadly I don't have the webcast hear right now to compare. I think that the TV station cut down the intro/outro and encore. From what I remember LP was the only band with this grounding problem during the webcasts that day. So I think it was setup related, maybe an instrument or something that they couldn't completely mute from the mix. Whatever.

But it has been re-mixed in some way, that's for sure, the webcast sounds more rough (from what I remember).

The laughter is the only thing in can recalled that was really removed from the show. What an odd edit.

The intro doesn't belong to faint, the audio part until 0:08 is from Something I Can Never Have that was played before the Gacela Intro.

The outro is the same one they also used for PR 04 but in the MTV version is extremely shortened, easy to noticed from the skips near the end.

The laughter is the only thing in can recalled that was really removed from the show. What an odd edit.

Referring to laughter: I once read (don't know where, but I'm pretty sure it was an official german site), that WDR cut out the laughter because the recording was scheduled to be broadcasted at a time 'children may watch' (just like there's no curse and blood supposed to be on the german afternoon program).

They thought that Mike's laughter sounded '(sexual) explicit' and therefore wasn't supposed to be shown on TV again. I really don't know if that's the real reason, but the WDR group is part of public television and likes to censor nonsense.

According to a german LP fansite, called 'hybridsolider', a member once sent an request to WDR, asking why they'd cut out the laughter and the answer was: 'Zensiert aufgrund anstoeßiger Geraeusche in der 20Uhr Vorstellung', which translates as 'Censored due to indecent noises during the 8 o'clock time slot (which is pretty much prime time on german television)'.

WTF. I don't think that's true, the thing aired after midnight. Censor that, but keep all the cursing?

I don't believe that unless there's proof.

I really don't know about this.

The source I refer to is kinda unrelieable, but the question is why a person would make up statements like that. Maybe somebody should just ask the WDR support about the incident, maybe they'll give an answer.

You're also right about the cusswords, BUT Germany pretty much doesn't give a shit about swearing on TV (at least they are not USED to censor every 'bitch', 'fuck', 'shit' and stuff like that). I also think they knew, that cutting out every swear word, would just mess up the whole performance/certain songs.

I guess we'll never really know, if no official from the channel gives an answer to this.

Maybe they'll even tell us if they sent it to Mike and if he did the mixing.

That was 9 years ago, I bet that's way too late to get any info about it.

The censor reason, if it's really true, is still complete bullshit, there's no problem with sex scenes after 8 PM. The show was shown way past 11 PM which is 18+ ratings wise, they even show uncut horror movies on those channels sometimes.

I think this was just a standard reply and maybe they didnt know what they were talking about. Going through the audio and clean up that laughter is something that just doesn't make sense. Even though the laughter sounds "dirty" it's still normal.

I find it even more unbelievable that someone emailed them to ask for this.

I find it even more unbelievable that someone emailed them to ask for this.

this could be the key, maybe the person who answer the question thought it's wierd question, so he respond with wierd answer. maybe it's just a joke. Edited by Skipees

I think Shinoda editing it out is the best explanation. This is very unlikely to ever come up but if you played him a recording of the laugh at a M&G on like an iPhone or something and you were able to get him to remember the show, I'm sure he'd tell you he removed it lol. He seems very knowledgeable about the live stuff.

I also think they knew, that cutting out every swear word, would just mess up the whole performance/certain songs.

Given up RaR 07 is f*cked up as well :D But it is not WDR. It is MTV :rolleyes:

Actually MTV UK censored this. The very first broadcast from MTV Germany, that doesn't have Given Up though is uncensored, Mike says "fucking great" just before Faint.

some say It was MTV Austria which was without censore :)