Chester's Voice

jay-dawg

Hey guys and gals..

I've been keeping small tabs on live shows ever since 2008 and Chester's voice within the last two months seems to be petering out. What does everyone think? I'm aware that touring has a big effect on even the best of vocalists like Chezzy's vocals but I'd like to hear thoughts. Has he just not been feeling good lately or is his singing career coming to an end? NO haters please I am a huge fan and always will be, just want to get the general opinion.

He's been screaming since 1997. Of course his voice is going to start getting fucked up. He's actully doing really good this year, only Crawling (reason it was dropped) seems pretty weake

hmm interesting thought. have you seen the recordings for live in sao paulo or at jiffy lube? didn't seem so hot to me. what's your thoughts?

Well, in comparison to the ATS tour, he's actually improved big time on the Living Things tour. For some reason I don't think he would have done some of the revived songs justice two years ago. He murdered Rock In Rio and Rock AM Ring, and HCT was pretty brutal too from what I've heard. He might be entering his typical middle of the tour slump which alot of singers go through (especially with age), but he's singing pretty well on this tour. If he misses a few notes or can't do certain songs as well, you can't blame the man, he ages like everyone else!

hmm interesting thought. have you seen the recordings for live in sao paulo or at jiffy lube? didn't seem so hot to me. what's your thoughts?

I have all the DSPs from this year so yeah. Listened to Sao Paulo literally 5 minutes ago lol. Chester's really bringing it this year. And even with Crawling it was pretty much only those little parts of the chorus. If you want bad then listen to Mike on the beginning of VICTIMIZED. No offense Mike.

I have all the DSPs from this year so yeah. Listened to Sao Paulo literally 5 minutes ago lol. Chester's really bringing it this year. And even with Crawling it was pretty much only those little parts of the chorus. If you want bad then listen to Mike on the beginning of VICTIMIZED. No offense Mike.

hmmm. i give chester an a for effort defs but i disagree i think that sao paulo he was off the entire show with his pitch. granted his screams were pretty good but his pitch sucked.

and as for mike for victimized.. that was problems with his vocoder i believe if i remember correctly.

Well, in comparison to the ATS tour, he's actually improved big time on the Living Things tour. For some reason I don't think he would have done some of the revived songs justice two years ago. He murdered Rock In Rio and Rock AM Ring, and HCT was pretty brutal too from what I've heard. He might be entering his typical middle of the tour slump which alot of singers go through (especially with age), but he's singing pretty well on this tour. If he misses a few notes or can't do certain songs as well, you can't blame the man, he ages like everyone else!

haha ya totally i agree. with age comes a weaker everything.. guys know that all too well. just for clarification, when you say he murder rir and Am Ring do you mean he did badly or good? Honda Civic tour has been brutal i agree. glad that one's over cause he really hasn't done that good of a job on that tour which is why i posted the original question.

Edited by jay-dawg

agree to dylan's first comment,in some shows,his energy goes down,like "one step closer" at sao paulo,"shut up when I'm talking to you oooo"last line,he slipped a bit,it's because he's trying too hard these days,he can perform live till age of 60,but only the slow songs,screaming kills him man,he has to sing 20/22 songs on daily basis

I don't think it's possible to compare Chester's voice from 2006 (5 shows) and 2012 (~53 shows) :lol:

Very True!!! I almost wish they would do something more along the lines of 20 shows a year instead of 60 to save his voice a little more so that he can sing more consistently!!

2012 is Chester's best year since the '06 topic closed

what do you think of madison square garden last year compared to say.. jiffy lube this year? for example his scream on given up.. "Put me out of my misery" in MSG Vs JL this year you can't even compare, MSG he totally rocked it compared to this year.. Any thoughts?

agree to dylan's first comment,in some shows,his energy goes down,like "one step closer" at sao paulo,"shut up when I'm talking to you oooo"last line,he slipped a bit,it's because he's trying too hard these days,he can perform live till age of 60,but only the slow songs,screaming kills him man,he has to sing 20/22 songs on daily basis

yeah it is hard no question.. I almost wonder if they should do like.. 20 shows next year instead of 53 this year. just to see if that helps him go a little longer.

Very True!!! I almost wish they would do something more along the lines of 20 shows a year instead of 60 to save his voice a little more so that he can sing more consistently!!

You're on lpLIVE and want them to do only 20 shows a year? Like 5 in Europe, 10 in the US, 5 Asia/Australia? That would never work out....

Edited by graveguard

You're on lpLIVE and want them to do only 20 shows a year? Like 5 in Europe, 10 in the US, 5 Asia/Australia? That would never work out....

lol tough call to make though ya know? the more show's ya do the faster your gonna peter out.

yeah Chester has his ups & downs but this year was really solid he was fucking awesome in APFMFH and i think that its very different to watch the band in your house checking their fails than being at the venue rocking with them at my two concerts this year i felt that Chaz was on fire!

yeah, thats a very good point. i do fully recognize that live your not gonna get everything perfect absolutely.

Very True!!! I almost wish they would do something more along the lines of 20 shows a year instead of 60 to save his voice a little

This ain't '02 bro. Fans will get piss them off with messages saying "FUCKING TOUR ALREADY" and then when they tour the next year the can't play enough shows to go to all the places they usually do, disappointing fans, so less people buy merch, then it goes on and the band will fail. Not a valid thing. 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009, the end of 2011 and the beginning of 2012 they were recording so they had an actual excuse.

This ain't '02 bro. Fans will get piss them off with messages saying "FUCKING TOUR ALREADY" and then when they tour the next year the can't play enough shows to go to all the places they usually do, disappointing fans, so less people buy merch, then it goes on and the band will fail. Not a valid thing. 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009, the end of 2011 and the beginning of 2012 they were recording so they had an actual excuse.

i can see that happening totally. but in response to that happening i would point out that its wrong to do that. personally i'd rather have less shows that are better quality than more shows and no linkin park 5 years from now. Just my opinion though not everyone else shares that view which is totally fine thats why i started this thread.

I think Chester did pretty well this year, to be honest. For me, his voice was like this... I'll go from 2005 and prior because we pretty much have an understanding of every tour since then..

2005: Pretty scratchy, but there was only 2 shows, so can't judge much. Not too bad, though.

2006: For me, this was his best year vocally. Chester NAILED the Summer Sonic shows and the audio from them proves it. He sang/screamed so amazingly.

2007: Great year. Not as good as 2006, but he was pretty spot on. He was a little rough singing songs like SOTD, In Pieces, LOATR and shit at the beginning of PR but he got way better at them. The 2007 European tour was amazing and so was the Australia/Asia tour after PR.

2008: Not a good year. He was great for the first half, from January to March, but IMO, the summer tour's (Europe and PR) really sucked for him vocally. Listen to some of the shows, he wasn't that great, I think the band was just worn out at that point.

2009: Pretty amazing year. Even though the tour wasn't huge, he did very well on the LP tour, and he also did very well with DBS live this year. Great year for him.

2010: Great year!!! Shows like Tel Aviv, Berlin and Paris made me think he was absolutely spot on. He also nailed the Australia tour, IMO.

2011: Meh. Not a great year. Kind of the same situation as 2008...

2012: Pretty decent year. Not great, but not shitty either..

All in all, I think he does better when the tours are shorter. 2006 and 2009 were EXCELLENT years and they were short touring years. 2007 was good but that was also their big ''comeback'' year so he may have been trying his absolute hardest. 2010 was good, but again, not a long touring year. 2011 was pretty long, as was 2008, so maybe that is why he was lesser on those tours.

Edited by Geki

I've watched maybe 10 shows this year, he was really good. Especially during Burn it Down (sounds better than studio) and What I've Done. Plus, all the shows were really energetic...

btw. I think QWERTY back in '06 is one of his best performances.

Edited by Filip

I think Chester did pretty well this year, to be honest. For me, his voice was like this... I'll go from 2005 and prior because we pretty much have an understanding of every tour since then..

2005: Pretty scratchy, but there was only 2 shows, so can't judge much. Not too bad, though.

2006: For me, this was his best year vocally. Chester NAILED the Summer Sonic shows and the audio from them proves it. He sang/screamed so amazingly.

2007: Great year. Not as good as 2006, but he was pretty spot on. He was a little rough singing songs like SOTD, In Pieces, LOATR and shit at the beginning of PR but he got way better at them. The 2007 European tour was amazing and so was the Australia/Asia tour after PR.

2008: Not a good year. He was great for the first half, from January to March, but IMO, the summer tour's (Europe and PR) really sucked for him vocally. Listen to some of the shows, he wasn't that great, I think the band was just worn out at that point.

2009: Pretty amazing year. Even though the tour wasn't huge, he did very well on the LP tour, and he also did very well with DBS live this year. Great year for him.

2010: Great year!!! Shows like Tel Aviv, Berlin and Paris made me think he was absolutely spot on. He also nailed the Australia tour, IMO.

2011: Meh. Not a great year. Kind of the same situation as 2008...

2012: Pretty decent year. Not great, but not shitty either..

All in all, I think he does better when the tours are shorter. 2006 and 2009 were EXCELLENT years and they were short touring years. 2007 was good but that was also their big ''comeback'' year so he may have been trying his absolute hardest. 2010 was good, but again, not a long touring year. 2011 was pretty long, as was 2008, so maybe that is why he was lesser on those tours.

hmm. ok so lets talk 2012 here for a second.. I agree the shows done before august were awesome he did a great job. but what do you think about shows like sao paulo or jiffy lube or telecom street gigs? I've noticed that in these shows on his screams in given up "put me out of my misery" he doesn't nail it at all in these shows and his pitch is off a lot in these three shows.. Thoughts?

I've watched maybe 10 shows this year, he was really good. Especially during Burn it Down (sounds better than studio) and What I've Done. Plus, all the shows were really energetic...

btw. I think QWERTY back in '06 is one of his best performances.

I agree the shows have all been energetic this year. What do you think about his pitch though and his screams in given up? I've noticed he's been struggling a lot with those two things in shows that have come after august. Thoughts?

hmm. ok so lets talk 2012 here for a second.. I agree the shows done before august were awesome he did a great job. but what do you think about shows like sao paulo or jiffy lube or telecom street gigs? I've noticed that in these shows on his screams in given up "put me out of my misery" he doesn't nail it at all in these shows and his pitch is off a lot in these three shows.. Thoughts?

I agree the shows have all been energetic this year. What do you think about his pitch though and his screams in given up? I've noticed he's been struggling a lot with those two things in shows that have come after august. Thoughts?

I kind of agree with you here. Chester did very well through May and June during the Europe, US, Asia and Russia dates, very well. I thought he really was back on fire live, but then came the Honda Civic Tour. He wasn't terrible on the tour, but he wasn't great, and certainly not as good as the prior months. Not sure why. I also expected a good collaboration between Chester and Brandon but that never happened. Usually the band is good friends with the band that they tour with, but they seemed kind of distant. Maybe the band didn't feel right on the tour or something? The Carson show sounded like shit a lot because of the webcast audio, but he did not do very well that night IMO. Jiffy Lube and Telekom Street Gigs were both amazing I thought, but Sao Paulo wasn't great either. I think AAC this year will be good and then the 2013 dates will be epic, Australian shows are always awesome.

I honestly think Chester's the best he's been since 2007. I'd almost say since 2006 but those screams on the end of Faint through out 2007 are still unrivalled in my opinion.

cool! thanks for the opinion. maybe i need to be listening to some more of the 2007 shows.

i havent listened to every show and my opinion is that alone, but am i the only one who thinks his voice was pretty damn good during the ATS cycle?

i agree with Geki, Australian tour sounded good to me.

i guess in almost every tour your guna get the good and bad..

also this may just be me, but i feel that at the beginning of each cycle his voice starts off worse and then gets better..