Chester's Voice

jay-dawg

i havent listened to every show and my opinion is that alone, but am i the only one who thinks his voice was pretty damn good during the ATS cycle?

i agree with Geki, Australian tour sounded good to me.

i guess in almost every tour your guna get the good and bad..

also this may just be me, but i feel that at the beginning of each cycle his voice starts off worse and then gets better..

I wasn't fond of any tour from 2011 at all, but 2010 did have some really good shows. I loved the whole year. NYC started off the ATS tour and that was an epic show.. Then they did South America which was really good, especially because they hadn't played there since 2004. Then they hit Europe and played awesome shows there, they had the first LPU summit, and they did APFMH in Paris which was epic as well. Then the Middle East tour which was SICK. Tel Aviv had the heaviest screams from Chester I have ever heard live, listen to OSC, damn... They then toured Australia and did some crazy shows there as well, debuting Blackout, having another summit, and just an overall good tour. 2010 was a great year for LP live, even though they didn't hit up a lot of places.

I think 2006 year was good because he was ready with his voice for recording album (Given up,NMS ,ATL and other agressive songs/demos :)

I once read somewhere that Chester actually had vocal lessons around that time, so that could also be why he sounded so phenomenal at the Summer Sonic shows.

Lately havent been a big fan of Given Up ... the song sounds hard to play live for him, belting out the high notes and screaming. personally think it should be dropped for a while.

Have to agree with Jay-Dawg, his screams on this song have sounded either shorter or off (to a degree)

although, no hate cos of course its guna be hard for him etc.

Lately havent been a big fan of Given Up ... the song sounds hard to play live for him, belting out the high notes and screaming. personally think it should be dropped for a while.

Have to agree with Jay-Dawg, his screams on this song have sounded either shorter or off (to a degree)

although, no hate cos of course its guna be hard for him etc.

o definitely he does better than any of us here could do at all i think. was just curious as to thoughts

I think Chester sounded great this year. For him. the KROQ performance he didn't sound that well at all though, which always happens to him mid-tour. I thought the early festivals and for the majority of Honda Civic he did well. He goes back and forth a lot nowadays though. His screams differentiate a lot, sometimes even midshow, I think it just depends on how much he's willing to put into them.

We need to keep in mind to not judge Chester's singing ability just on his performances with LP though, a lot of that material is hard for him to sing, which is why it's odd that they(Mike?) keep writing hard songs for him, lol. Go check out the recent Camp Freddy show, or his DBS shows. He sounds great on those.

His screams differentiate a lot, sometimes even midshow, I think it just depends on how much he's willing to put into them.

This. For most vocalists that scream, performance is more up-and-down than just singing as it can put a lot of pressure on your voice and you don't want to destroy it for the rest of the tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Chester's voice is just confusing to me now, lol. I'm listening to the Europe summer 08 shows, before Projekt Rev, and he sounds awesome. But before and after these shows he's not so hot. I think the man just needs to go see a vocal coach before every tour. I think that's what he did before the Summer Sonic shows, no?

• 2 months later...

Chester's voice is just confusing to me now, lol. I'm listening to the Europe summer 08 shows, before Projekt Rev, and he sounds awesome. But before and after these shows he's not so hot. I think the man just needs to go see a vocal coach before every tour. I think that's what he did before the Summer Sonic shows, no?

Yeah, its a tough call to make. I still think he's doing pretty good though even though his screams aren't what they used to be and his pitch is kinda off a bit more

• 1 month later...

hmm interesting thought. have you seen the recordings for live in sao paulo or at jiffy lube? didn't seem so hot to me. what's your thoughts?

yup, i was at rock in rio and he absolutely rocked. i think it was in the top three shows in 2012 by LP