Mike Shinoda talks LIVING THINGS, Tour, iHeartRadio Music Festival and More

RogueSoul

Linkin Park’s Mike Shinoda talked to Yahoo! recently about several things: First he talks about the iHeartRadio Music Festival which Linkin Park will perform at, which is a first, and Mike says you can expect something new. He says “it’s going to be unlike anything we’ve done in the past,” while they’re only performing for 30 minutes (as opposed to their 90 minute set they usually do), Linkin Park are brewing up some creative set plans because of the time constraint. Then he moves onto talking about tour, while the Honda Civic Tour just ended yesterday, Linkin Park continuing touring and Mike said the new songs keep a high momentum at the concert, because the songs are high energy. And if you’ve been to their concert recently you’d have to agree! He later talked about the LOST IN THE ECHO interactive music video and then the album LIVING THINGS being a ‘personal’ album compared to A Thousand Suns, while LIVING THINGS went back to their initial roots, he’s not apologizing for Minutes to Midnight or A Thousand Suns, they’re proud of all their albums, but LIVING THINGS is “…rooted in the past, but looking toward the future.” And finally he talks about being in an exclusive club, the diamond certified club, because Hybrid Theory certified in 10 million sales last month in the U.S. Remember that the iHeartRadio Music Festival will be live streamed on Yahoo! on September 21 & 22 at 7PM PST (live stream here). It will also be broadcast on the CW on October 1st at 8PM ET.

YAHOO!: What kind of set will you be doing for the iHeartRadio Festival? Does the production necessitate any change-ups from what you usually do on the road?

SHINODA: We’re always on tour, and play a mix of festivals and headline shows all year, but this is our first iHeartRadio Festival. We’ve already started planning the set, and it’s going to be unlike anything we’ve done in the past. Normally, our shows are 90-plus minutes, and we’re slotted for only 30 minutes at iHeartRadio. We wanted to play all our singles, but they wouldn’t all fit into such a short amount of time—a great problem to have. So it has forced us to get creative with the set. Working within constraints sometimes challenges us to make something really special.

YAHOO!: Are there any ways in which being out on tour this time feels different from your last time out on the road?

SHINODA: We’re playing a lot of music from our new album, Living Things. Each time we put out a new album, it’s a chance to breathe life into our concert. And this album is really high-energy, so the new songs have been keeping the momentum really high at the concert.

YAHOO!: Tell me about the “Lost in the Echo” video interactive experience. It’s been said you were the band member who was most involved in collaborating with Jason Zada and Jason Nickel on the video.

SHINODA: Music videos in general haven’t really evolved much in the past decade or two. There have been a few standouts, but in general, videos are just a song with a performance or story laid over top. We wanted to do something interactive, that pulled people in more. The song is a personal one, and we wanted the viewer to have a personal kind of experience. So we worked with the Jasons on the treatment through many revisions, until we came up with the one we liked. This video takes your personal images—and in many cases, your memories—and plants them in the visuals of this story. A lot of the credit is due to the Jasons, who worked some technological wonders on “Lost in the Echo.”

YAHOO!: You told Wired that “this album ended up being very much about ‘you’ and ‘me’.” Can you elaborate at all on the personal implications of that?

SHINODA: Our last album, A Thousand Suns, was more of a concept album. Its themes included larger world issues like nuclear danger and the environment. The personal element on that album was more of a reaction to the fear of what we might be doing to ourselves. In contrast, Living Things is much more personal. “Lost in the Echo” is a good example, I guess. That song is about letting go of personal baggage, like refusing to forgive someone.

YAHOO!: I saw Chester Bennington say in an interview that this album was “less bonkers” than A Thousand Suns. And some fans have definitely commented on it being a return to the kind of form they’ve expected from Hybrid Theory. Were you looking to go for more of a signature thing this time around?

SHINODA: I guess it depends on how you define “bonkers!” It’s clearly—and intentionally—inclusive of the thing that people imagine when they think of “Linkin Park.” But it’s not any kind of apology; we’re proud of all our albums, and this album contains elements of it all, while not looking back. It’s rooted in the past, but looking toward the future.

YAHOO!: Hybrid Theory just got certified for 10 million in sales last month. Did it mean anything to you in particular to join the diamond club?

SHINODA: We were very lucky to have released that album right before the final wave of physical album sales. There aren’t going to be many diamond-selling albums anymore. It’s definitely a pretty exclusive club. At the same time, our band’s legacy won’t be solely defined by that one album–it was the thing that got us started, but luckily, we’ve been able to keep things interesting in the years since.

Source: Yahoo!

The part about the festival setlist is interesting...had no idea they only got a 30-minute slot. Sounds like they might break out something unique since there's no way they can play all of their hits anyway...kind of excited to see what they do!

I'm predicting around 10 or 11 songs...just a hunch. ;)

I THINK that "half hour slot" they have to work with is either fairly lenient, or they convinced the promoters to give them a bit more time. :lol:

If that's the case then maybe they'll play the entire LT album from start to finish, which I think is around 37 minutes if I'm not mistaken. That's my guess, anyway :P

Probably the big singles they had will be played. Although, if they're really doing all singles, I wonder if they'll open with Tinfoil or a single... Anyways, this is my prediction.

• LOST IN THE ECHO (2012 Intro)

• What I've Done

• Numb (Outro 'Numb/Encore' lyrics tease)

• In The End

• Waiting For The End (Apaches Intro w/ 'UNTIL IT BREAKS' rap; Ext. Outro)

• Breaking The Habit

• LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent (Ballad Medley)

• BURN IT DOWN

• Bleed It Out (Ext. Bridge w/ Beastie Boys' 'Sabotage'; Ext. Outro)

• One Step Closer (Ext. Outro)

Btw, anyone know what time they're playing?

Probably the big singles they had will be played. Although, if they're really doing all singles, I wonder if they'll open with Tinfoil or a single... Anyways, this is my prediction.

• LOST IN THE ECHO (2012 Intro)

• What I've Done

• Numb (Outro 'Numb/Encore' lyrics tease)

• In The End

• Waiting For The End (Apaches Intro w/ 'UNTIL IT BREAKS' rap; Ext. Outro)

• Breaking The Habit

• LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent (Ballad Medley)

• BURN IT DOWN

• Bleed It Out (Ext. Bridge w/ Beastie Boys' 'Sabotage'; Ext. Outro)

• One Step Closer (Ext. Outro)

Btw, anyone know what time they're playing?

Shit, that wouldn't be creative at all. I feel like they'll have singles interspersed with a couple rarities and covers or some shit.

You know that all the ''big'' singles will be played. One Step Closer, In The End, Numb, What I've Done, Waiting For The End, Burn It Down. I wouldn't expect all too much for excitement. Maybe they will play something unique and different for a change. It would be a cool time to do that. Or maybe they will premiere a new song off of LT live. Castle Of Glass would be kind of cool since Medal Of Honor is coming out next month and it's the big song for it, it's also supposedly their next single.

EDIT: Also, for the record, I am somewhat getting sick of the ballad medley, not sure why. I thought it was the most amazing thing I've ever heard at first, but now it's like ''meh''. They could do without it and bring a high energy song into the set.

Edited by Geki

I have a hunch it will just be an extended version of a TV setlist - ie. singles only -_- sucks but...

Interesting what he said about Lost in the Echo. I always assumed that song was about them moving on from their old sound, but maybe I was wrong.

I'v always seen it as a personal metaphor. I only really thought about it in terms of HT/M sound when you mentioned it... :P