Medleys & Mashups

So, with the Honda Civic tour well under way, and after attending the (amazing) Bristow show (i know this matters to no one, but if you got the DSP, me and my little brother are the two weird looking dudes at the very front of the crowd shot), I realized that this whole medley & mashup thing is actually really cool, and a GREAT way to add other songs to setlists without dropping favorites.

For example, for years now we've all wanted to see With You back in the set, and since they took three songs (LOATR, SOTD, Iridescent) and turned it into one giant ass medley, that cleared up alot of room on the setlist, and that pretty AWESOME!

So... My question, what other mashup or medley could the band possibly do that would sound good and not disappoint fans?

I honestly think they could do "What I've Done" and "New Divide". I get that they were HUGE singles for the band, but it's basically the same song, correct? I'm sure they guys could come up with an amazing way to combine the two.

What all could you see them doing? Or would you like them to do?

As you said, What I've Done/New Divide would work extremely well.

A-Six into Lies, Greed, Misery would work if Brad didn't have to play the samples on LGM. I think that could be really cool.

I'd also like to see the return of (or a new) hip-hop medley. Maybe they could play part of Fuse if they did this.

I'd love to see some mash ups of the following:

- In the End/Pushing Me Away/Powerless

- One Step Closer/A Place for My Head

- Easier to Run/Iridescent

- Leave Out All the Rest/I'll Be Gone

- Lying From You/And One/Pretend to Be (In Pieces)

- Given Up/Victimized/QWERTY

Essentially i could think of more but these songs are closely related to one another lyrics-wise I would say :3

Now that they're doing a LFY/Papercut medley, if they ever perform with Jay-Z again, I think it would be cool to incorporate Papercut into the DOYS/LFY mash-up (and maybe even Big Pimpin') that would be similar in style to Points/99/OSC.

As you said, What I've Done/New Divide would work extremely well.

A-Six into Lies, Greed, Misery would work if Brad didn't have to play the samples on LGM. I think that could be really cool.

I'd also like to see the return of (or a new) hip-hop medley. Maybe they could play part of Fuse if they did this.

Or A.06 over Victimized / QWERTY as a prelude! Fuse live would be so trippy in 2012 :D

I'd personally love to see an M2M medley of lesser played songs, something like Valentine's Day / In Pieces / The Little Things Give You Away (slow down the tempo on In Pieces, and right before the guitar solo break into the guitar solo of TLTGYA, it seems weird but could work in a weird way) Just a dream haha.

Edited by Stone44

Or A.06 over Victimized / QWERTY as a prelude! Fuse live would be so trippy in 2012 :D

I'd personally love to see an M2M medley of lesser played songs, something like Valentine's Day / In Pieces / The Little Things Give You Away (slow down the tempo on In Pieces, and right before the guitar solo break into the guitar solo of TLTGYA, it seems weird but could work in a weird way) Just a dream haha.

I'm not so sure the solo part would work. TLTGYA has a different time signature.

Given Up into qwerty would work

maybe on the 2nd chorus - "I've given-" and then just straight into the slams on the qwerty intro. would be a cool curveball

No, no, no. Once LP stops playing Given Up in full, I will probably no longer buy tickets to see them live. It's my favorite live song by LP and no other songs can match the energy in a live setting. It's an amazing song. I would hate for that medley. Personally, I am not much of a fan of medleys in general, but I did like the LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent medley. The other ones on this tour are cool but I wouldn't want to keep them in the set.

Honestly, I've recently been thinking something along the lines of

Wretches And Kings/Victimized/QWERTY

Shorten Wretches by playing verse/chorus 2/bridge/outro and then transition into the intro from Victimized. Maybe even make a "Blood, Anger, Suffering" 2.0. Then just play the rest of the mash-up as we've seen it before.

Another thought I've had for the longest time is a Pushing Me Away medley.

Start with the piano version, then bring out the guitar/drums/etc, and finish with a full restart into P5hng Me A*wy.

No, no, no. Once LP stops playing Given Up in full, I will probably no longer buy tickets to see them live. It's my favorite live song by LP and no other songs can match the energy in a live setting. It's an amazing song. I would hate for that medley. Personally, I am not much of a fan of medleys in general, but I did like the LOATR/SOTD/Iridescent medley. The other ones on this tour are cool but I wouldn't want to keep them in the set.

haha no i know, was just an idea. I don't think Given Up will ever get dropped. one of the few MTM tracks to not get dropped in fact :lol:

to be honest if the band played a medley-full set I'd be kind of bummed out. yeah they're cool to see what the band would do, but I wouldn't want to have more than 2 in a set...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why everyone is so against medleys. In fact, I'd go as far to say that it's ridiculous.

If you see the verse, chorus, and bridge of most LP songs, you've pretty much seen all that the song has to offer anyway. If I get to see Papercut and Lying From You (albeit, shortened) I'd rather have the opportunity to see both songs than one or the other.

If we got the opportunity to see songs like Blackout, In Pieces, Easier To Run, TLTGYA, and Figure.09 again in medley form... I'd rather see shortened versions than not seeing them at all... I don't understand why other people don't feel the same way when most of you have bitched endlessly about wanting to see these songs again anyway.

I mean, take PR 04, besides fanboys who got on the train post-Meteora, a lot of people think this was the greatest set the band has ever played. (2012 may challenge that, but I'll stick to the point.) Step Up/Nobody's Listening/It's Goin Down (Hip-Hop Medley) was a prominent part of the set. That set would have been far less epic without that inclusion... Who the hell would've wanted to see one out of three as opposed to all three when we've all seen and heard them in full a million times anyway?

Such backwards logic from this place sometimes...

I don't know why everyone is so against medleys. In fact, I'd go as far to say that it's ridiculous.

If you see the verse, chorus, and bridge of most LP songs, you've pretty much seen all that the song has to offer anyway. If I get to see Papercut and Lying From You (albeit, shortened) I'd rather have the opportunity to see both songs than one or the other.

If we got the opportunity to see songs like Blackout, In Pieces, Easier To Run, TLTGYA, and Figure.09 again in medley form... I'd rather see shortened versions than not seeing them at all... I don't understand why other people don't feel the same way when most of you have bitched endlessly about wanting to see these songs again anyway.

I mean, take PR 04, besides fanboys who got on the train post-Meteora, a lot of people think this was the greatest set the band has ever played. (2012 may challenge that, but I'll stick to the point.) Step Up/Nobody's Listening/It's Goin Down (Hip-Hop Medley) was a prominent part of the set. That set would have been far less epic without that inclusion... Who the hell would've wanted to see one out of three as opposed to all three when we've all seen and heard them in full a million times anyway?

Such backwards logic from this place sometimes...

Agreeeeeeeed!! The more songs they can fit into a set, the better! The most brilliant thing the band has ever done with ballads is mash them together in one 5 minute piece! Although of course certain songs need to be played in full to be properly enjoyed.

Given Up/Faint

Given Up w/o second verse & shit w/ Ext. Outro intro Faint w/o the intro sample & second verse & shit; Ext. Outro

I might try to make some studio versions of some of these (W&K/Vic/QWERTY, WID/ND/BITS, etc.)

Edited by Soul

Given Up/Faint

Given Up w/o second verse & shit w/ Ext. Outro intro Faint w/o the intro sample & second verse & shit; Ext. Outro

I might try to make some studio versions of some of these (W&K/Vic/QWERTY, WID/ND/BITS, etc.)

Only problem with that mashup is that while Given Up is played in Drop D Tuning, Faint is played in Db.

Unless you'd want a long pause in between while Brad and Mike grab different guitars this wouldn't work out so well.

Only problem with that mashup is that while Given Up is played in Drop D Tuning, Faint is played in Db.

Unless you'd want a long pause in between while Brad and Mike grab different guitars this wouldn't work out so well.

They could just play Given Up a half-step lower or Faint a half-step higher.