Warner Videos Being Pulled From YouTube

hahninator

Also i noticed today i was trying to upload some home made vids with songs from other artists on it. I had a LP/JZ one and that went threw fine. Tho every Kanye west one i would do it wouldn't let me upload. It would say "copyright by 3rd party"

It seems Warner's not the only one cracking down

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't get though, is they let everything be all fine and dandy..

But just randomly decided "Ohh, wait, they can't do that!"

I think someone pissed someone else off.

Just a thought.

I'm not so sure...I mean, the record industry is continuing to slip while piracy is growing out of control. I honestly think this has been brewing for a while. I mean, the original article says talks broke down. So apparently this has been coming for a while, just seems to be out of the blue because it was kept a secret. Warner is just going after this because they, their artists and more are losing money. In this kind of economy, they are going to do that in any way possible, YouTube was just the first major way to go about this.

I'm not so sure...I mean, the record industry is continuing to slip while piracy is growing out of control. I honestly think this has been brewing for a while. I mean, the original article says talks broke down. So apparently this has been coming for a while, just seems to be out of the blue because it was kept a secret. Warner is just going after this because they, their artists and more are losing money. In this kind of economy, they are going to do that in any way possible, YouTube was just the first major way to go about this.

YouTube had a deal with Warner since 2006, he was paying for the videos hosted on his site, plus Warner in the last quarter of year has increased his profit by 20%.

They are not losing money, they are simply making not enough from YouTube.

An article about Universal Music:

Universal Music seeing 'tens of millions' from YouTube

[...]Only a few years ago, the record labels saw music videos as promotional vehicles only. Some argue one of the music industry's biggest mistakes was giving videos away to MTV nearly 30 years ago. Doug Morris, Universal's CEO, has led the industry to set up videos as a revenue stream. Since 2005, Universal has gone from making zero dollars on music videos to nearly $100 million.[...]

And a new article about Warner vs. YouTube:

Sources: YouTube, not Warner Music, pulled videos

[...]YouTube began removing videos from its site after Warner came to YouTube with an "11th-hour demand" for better financial terms, according to the sources. All four of the top recording companies are renegotiating their contracts with YouTube for music and music videos.[...]

By all indications, Warner overplayed its hand. YouTube can afford to let Warner walk. The vast majority of music listened to at YouTube comes from the two largest recording companies: Universal and Sony BMG. Universal, the label that represents U2, Kanye West, and The Rolling Stones, is the most-viewed YouTube channel all time with more than 3 billion views. Sony BMG is a distant second with 491 million views.

Warner isn't even in the top 10. The record company's 278 million views is good enough only for 11th place.

So it appears that some labels are happy with YouTube money and Warner is not. According to my sources, some of Warner's problems with the Web's No. 1 video site are of its own making.

Edited by Mark86

^ While I agree with you and the articles definitely correct what I originally said about it being something in the works (thanks for clearing that up), I mean in general. I'm not talking YouTube profits for Warner alone. I'm talking everything. Record sales, concert ticket sales, everything. Warner's profits are down, as are with most other companies in the world due to the economy. So they are looking for ways to make up for it and YouTube was one of them. I was simply disputing the fact that someone made Warner mad or something.

OUCH

"PS - don't let them take your web domain rights and ownership of your fan club. The last thing you want to do is give them the power of your mailing list and your online community."

Shinoda slams Warner. Damn.

I love it, lol.