Who is the Frontman to Linkin Park ATS era?

Eitherway, who care. Its not like its going to make or break the band.

I couldn't give a fuck who 'lead' or whos the 'image' of the band. As long as all of them together make some awesome kick ass music, I will die a happy man.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike is undoubtedly the LEADER of the band, in fact I'd argue that he always has been. He writes the majority of the music and a good chunk of the lyrics. The fact of the matter is, Linkin Park could replace Chester if they had to. They're already on their second lead vocalist as it is.

But "frontman" implies something a bit different. "Frontman," to me, has always been a mostly stage-specific term. Who talks to the crowd the most? Who spends the most time at center stage? Who puts on the most visual performance? That, to me, is what a frontman is. In that respect, Chester is definitely the frontman. I do agree that Mike's taken a bit more of that role recently though, particularly with how he's the band's main guy when it comes to doing press.

i agree completely

and aother thing when people think of Linkin Park (lets sa a causual fan or something, not people on this website) they think of Chester, so i see no reason why Chester wouldn't be the frontman

Mike is undoubtedly the LEADER of the band, in fact I'd argue that he always has been. He writes the majority of the music and a good chunk of the lyrics. The fact of the matter is, Linkin Park could replace Chester if they had to. They're already on their second lead vocalist as it is.

But "frontman" implies something a bit different. "Frontman," to me, has always been a mostly stage-specific term. Who talks to the crowd the most? Who spends the most time at center stage? Who puts on the most visual performance? That, to me, is what a frontman is. In that respect, Chester is definitely the frontman. I do agree that Mike's taken a bit more of that role recently though, particularly with how he's the band's main guy when it comes to doing press.

I understand 98% of people agree with you instantly because you are Astat, but I disagree. I've been collecting bootlegs since 2003, and have well over 200 live concerts and have listened/watched any concert I've obtained, regardless of quality (Thinking of Darien Lake 2004 *cringes*). This is just utter b/s if you listen to the bootlegs. Mike nearly always talks to the crowd more than Chester, and was always at the forefront. Especially in the old days (HT and Meteora) he would always do the job of hyping the crowd, when all Chester usually did at most shows was one or two speeches, and sang the vocals. During songs when they pause to hype up the crowd (Think APFMH) who's doing the hyping? It's Mike nearly all of the time. Watch any bootleg from 2001 - 2004 and Mike and Chester are bouncing around the stage equally and sharing the center stage, and from 2007 and on, Mike was doing so much on stage that he pretty much brings the whole show together. I respect your opinions and discussion on this forum over everyone else's, but I honestly don't understand where you are getting your facts from on this.

It has nothing to do with logic. We are all expressing our different opinions. Thats what you do on a forum.

I was talking about the people who joke around and talk crap, contributing absolutely nothing to the discussion. It's funny once in awhile, but when I have to sift through post after post of crap on pretty much every thread on this forum, it gets on my nerves and that's why I made that statement.

Astat's spoken, thread's over :lol:

Astat's opinion isn't better than anybody else's just because he is Astat. LOL.

LP wouldn't be anywhere if they replaced Chester. Who got LP to hit it big? Was it Mike with Xero struggling to even get labels to listen to the music? Or was it Chester who came in confident as fuck and sang on the demo tape and they then hit it big? Who sang the chorus to LP's biggest hits like In The End, the grammy winning Crawling, Breaking The Habit, What I've Done, Waiting For The End, etc?This is a very stupid statement and I could care less if every single member here disagrees with me. Yeah, Mike has always been the leader and he does the most production, press, etc. Chester himself has even stated that. But anybody who considers Mike the 'frontman' is wrong. Obviously whoever calls Mike a frontman has no idea what a frontman is. Nobody can sing like Chester, and Mike sure as hell can't at all.

Edited by Geki

Chester has a much stronger singing voice, but i dont see why that matters too much.

I also agree with Astat very much. There is like.. 2 different types of 'frontman' in my opinion. 1 mike, 1 Chester. They are both different.

LP wouldn't be anywhere if they replaced Chester. Who got LP to hit it big? Was it Mike with Xero struggling to even get labels to listen to the music? Or was it Chester who came in confident as fuck and sang on the demo tape and they then hit it big? Who sang the chorus to LP's biggest hits like In The End, the grammy winning Crawling, Breaking The Habit, What I've Done, Waiting For The End, etc?This is a very stupid statement and I could care less if every single member here disagrees with me. Yeah, Mike has always been the leader and he does the most production, press, etc. Chester himself has even stated that. But anybody who considers Mike the 'frontman' is wrong. Obviously whoever calls Mike a frontman has no idea what a frontman is. Nobody can sing like Chester, and Mike sure as hell can't at all.

Agreed

I understand 98% of people agree with you instantly because you are Astat, but I disagree. I've been collecting bootlegs since 2003, and have well over 200 live concerts and have listened/watched any concert I've obtained, regardless of quality (Thinking of Darien Lake 2004 *cringes*). This is just utter b/s if you listen to the bootlegs. Mike nearly always talks to the crowd more than Chester, and was always at the forefront. Especially in the old days (HT and Meteora) he would always do the job of hyping the crowd, when all Chester usually did at most shows was one or two speeches, and sang the vocals. During songs when they pause to hype up the crowd (Think APFMH) who's doing the hyping? It's Mike nearly all of the time. Watch any bootleg from 2001 - 2004 and Mike and Chester are bouncing around the stage equally and sharing the center stage, and from 2007 and on, Mike was doing so much on stage that he pretty much brings the whole show together. I respect your opinions and discussion on this forum over everyone else's, but I honestly don't understand where you are getting your facts from on this.

I've been collecting bootlegs for about the same amount of time and probably have roughly the same number of recordings as you do. While you have a fair point about Mike addressing the crowd a lot, I find it hard to argue that Chester isn't the most visual performer in the band. I'm using a term that's usually specific to hip-hop here, but Mike's always struck me as more of a "hype man" with LP, at least when he isn't playing an instrument. His stage persona really only makes sense as a supplement to Chester's. Think of Mike in FM vs. Mike in LP...pretty different on stage, right? But compare Chester in DBS to Chester in LP, and there really isn't much of a difference. Chester's always had a lot more attitude and charisma on stage...and on top of that, go watch any fan-filmed Youtube videos from live performances, or look up media photos from concerts. Who gets the cameras pointed at them the most? Chester (to the point that it's borderline annoying). Normally I don't like to leave stuff like this up to the fans and media, but the focus on Chester is so prominent that it must exist for a reason.

Did I say the band would necessarily be SUCCESSFUL without Chester? No, I didn't. I said they could replace him if they had to. The band could continue with another lead vocalist if they had to, because Mike is the band's primary songwriter. Linkin Park without Chester Bennington would be like Judas Preist without Rob Halford or Aerosmith without Steven Tyler: Far from a popular decision with the fans, but something that wouldn't be impossible for the band to work around.

I also find it funny that you went to such great lengths to defend Chester as the frontman when I said he's the frontman in the first place. :lol:

Sorry to re-open old wounds, but if you disagree that Chester's the frontman, and the most prominent member of the band, check out this week's issue of Kerrang. The section about Linkin Park is pretty much half about him.

Meh :P

• 1 month later...

depends on how you define 'frontman'

is it the guy that pops into peoples heads once the band is mentioned or is it the guy who actually does the most in the band

First one is Chester

second one is mike.

personally i believe mike is, he is the creative force behind LP and IMO the only real irreplaceable member of LP.

depends on how you define 'frontman'

is it the guy that pops into peoples heads once the band is mentioned or is it the guy who actually does the most in the band

First one is Chester

second one is mike.

personally i believe mike is, he is the creative force behind LP and IMO the only real irreplaceable member of LP.

Chester is irriplacible too, i wouldn't listen to LP if Chester was replaced