Queensland, Australia Floods - HELP

shadowfax1007

Hey everyone,

I know I'm not involved with LPL much any more, but I'm still on here twice a day checking updates and the forums.

As you may or may not have heard, we are experiencing some extreme flooding here in Queensland, Australia. There has already been massive loss of life, houses, belongings and other important services. Roads have been destroyed, businesses ruined, cars taken away. Almost every terminal for our water ferries in the city has been ripped away, our city is now as ghost town as all power is off and people evacuated. For anyone familiar with Australia, this is going to get worse than the floods we had in 1974.

I myself spent most of yesterday, helping people evacuate and save there belongings, but no matter what anyone did, we still saw so much lose - houses, property, everything washed away in an instant. Thankfully my home and belongings are currently unaffected, although my family is stranded in different locations. Others haven't been so lucky.

Things are only going to get worse. With a king tide expected this afternoon, which is predicted to last over 18 hours, waters will riser faster and higher then they have before. Things are expected to get progressively worse all the way into Friday.

I'm reaching out to the LPL community because I know everyone is generous here and when they band together they can achieve anything. If anyone has anything they can spare, even just a few dollars instead of your daily coffee, it would be much appreciated!

You can donate online HERE through our governments website. The link is fully secure and your details are kept private. At the time of posting almost 36 million dollars has been raised, which sounds like a lot but much more is still needed.

You can read more about the flood here or on various other Australian news websites, which are full of reports, photos and videos.

With any luck, maybe even MFR would get involved. Since I don't have admin rights anymore, can someone please move this onto the front page of LPL so that everyone hears about what we are dealing with.

Thanks everyone!

I swear I was about to post a post exactly like this.

Even tho I'm not directly effected my sister and cousins and other close family are either stuck or have been effected.

If MFR was able to help out with Black Saturday that happened in Victoria a few years back then they should offer some help to these floods.

Ive donated and I hope you guys can help us out a little.

massive loss of life? Good grief, last time i heard 9 people died. Any loss is big but really some poor countries lose thousands in flooding and lose hundreds of thousands of homes, and the governments are too poor and corrupt to do anything. Australia is a very wealthy and well organized country, as expensive as this flood will be, you will get through it.

It's pretty fucked right now watching all the scenes on TV, luckily the suburb I live in is fine but the next one over isn't. It's just really sad that this is happening not just here but across the state. Hopefully everyone stays safe

Should have clarified: We have lost 10 people, and about 100 are missing.

10 is still a huge amount for a country like ours. It's expected to climb.

EDIT: Death toll just climbed to 12, but missing people dropped to 43.

Edited by shadowfax1007

Really hope the flood waters go down soon and no one else loses their life

Sadly we lost two more lives today. A body was found in a field and another man was sucked down a drain outside his parents home.

The waters are SLOWLY starting to drop, and providing there is no more rain the worst of the flood should now be over.

Now comes the months/years of clean up..

EDIT: And another death, making that 15 dead so far - army/search and rescue teams havent even begun properly searching for bodies yet, so its scary how many more deaths will be to come.

Edited by shadowfax1007

massive loss of life? Good grief, last time i heard 9 people died. Any loss is big but really some poor countries lose thousands in flooding and lose hundreds of thousands of homes, and the governments are too poor and corrupt to do anything. Australia is a very wealthy and well organized country, as expensive as this flood will be, you will get through it.

I really don't want to start an argument on here but you sir need to be slapped around a few times. If I had a loved one or friend die and it was one of those people and someone said that about them, id be greatly upset and angry.

This is about helping people out, please for everyones sake, and for yours so you dont look like a total prick.... Dont say crap like that k?

all i'm saying is that as bad as those floods are there are countries that are absolute hell after natural disasters e.g Haiti even after a year, some people needs to open their eyes and see that money needs to go else where and not to an already wealthy country that can easily take care of them selfs. I may look like a real douchebag for saying that but some people can't seem to see that there is a world around them that needs help

more than Australia. And it pisses me off how ignorant some people are when they cry when a flood like this happens but they can't see that more than a thousand people die every day of AIDS in south africa alone. In my original statement i NEVER said that the people that died are not important and sad i just said that it is nothing compared to what's happening around the world.

so you can create a thread about south africa aids or dance your waka waka instead of coming here talking s-- while we're trying to help people who are suffering.

aids is a problem? yes. but don't use this to try do amend a bullshit that you said.

plus, just because a country is rich doesnt mean that those people will not go thru difficulties for the lack of money.

oh man you are so rude.

All that should matter is that if you can help someone who needs help you help them

Indonesian Tsunami..Australia gives $1 billion in aid, Pakistan floods..Australia gives $66.5 million in aid

Australians all over the country are donating to help out. It will take at least two years for the whole state to recover from this not to mention the tourism, farming and mining industries that have taken a massive hit. Mining will be alright not sure about farming and tourism recovering so easily as they only just made it through drought, a cyclone and the financial crisis. It's in times like these when everyone needs to help each other out, although it's important not to forget about the people in the rest of the world who need help too and to help them if you can

Edited by Mr X

all i'm saying is that as bad as those floods are there are countries that are absolute hell after natural disasters e.g Haiti even after a year, some people needs to open their eyes and see that money needs to go else where and not to an already wealthy country that can easily take care of them selfs. I may look like a real douchebag for saying that but some people can't seem to see that there is a world around them that needs help

more than Australia. And it pisses me off how ignorant some people are when they cry when a flood like this happens but they can't see that more than a thousand people die every day of AIDS in south africa alone. In my original statement i NEVER said that the people that died are not important and sad i just said that it is nothing compared to what's happening around the world.

Just a quick note, per capita Australia is one of, if not the most generous country in the world. Want proof? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanitarian_...#List_of_donors

Australia donated $1 billion US dollars to the Boxing Day Tsunami/Earthquake. for a country of only 25 million people thats a lot. I think we deserve a little help back.

I should also mention I'm lucky enough to not really be affected. The entry to my office building in the city might have gotten a little bit of water damage but nothing major. Quite a few of my friends though are currently homeless and crashing on friends and family's couches and spare rooms.

Edited by AusNeil

I totally understand what you are trying to say but the thing here is not that how wealthy the country is or how many people have been affected. Just for once imagine yourself as a parent/brother of one of the 10 who died and then you'll be able to feel their pain. And coming from a country which sees thousands of deaths everyday due to diseases, floods, riots & terrorism and might well fall into the category of poor/corrupt nations as you mentioned above, my sympathy for the affected australians is no less that of my fellow countrymen. Yes, you are right that they well get through it, the fact is that no matter how big the trouble is, we humans DO get through it. Life goes on no matter come what may. But the least we can do is to offer them prayers, hope and financial support. I agree that there are regions which definitely need more help than Oz right now. But my only request to you is to not try to diminute their troubles.

I am sorry if I might have burst up. But it's just that it pains me alot to see the troubles all over the world. And being the person I am, i can't help placing myself in the place of the other person and thinking what would I have done had I been them.

I understand what Gradon is trying to say, I do. Yes there are bigger problems in the world, but this disaster will be more than just water damage. Our coal, mining, farming; pretty much all our export industries will be indefinitely affected. These industries are huge, and a lot of Australians money comes primarily from Queensland. Without these industries, the wealth you speak of, doesnt exist.

Plus, any loss of life is a huge loss of life. Sure, the death count is 15 right now. There are still approximately 70 suburbs and towns cut off from rescue workers, some places so badly flooded that the military is bringing in hydro-capable vehicles purely to find bodies - they don't expect much else. The death count can and will rise much higher.

I don't want to argue this, and I don't want others to argue it, as it will take away from the point of this thread.

If you can help, great - please do. If you can't, your well wishes alone are appreciated.

If anyone has anything negative or not helpful, please just keep it to yourself.

Back on topic please.

sorry if i offended anyone but i do feel strongly about it, on the other hand i never did speak less of the victims. I feel for them and the ones that now have nowhere to live, a loss of life is always a tragedy for some person now has to live without a loved one.

Edited by GraDoN

sorry if i offended anyone but i do feel strongly about it, on the other hand i never did speak less of the victims. I feel for them and the ones that bow have nowhere to live, a loss of life is always a tragedy for some person now has to live without a loved one.

I do see your point though, it's just the way that you said it did look a little offensive to some people. We'd all be better off trying to help the people that need it rather than attack other peoples points of view

Edited by Mr X

wow mate, i live down here in melbourne, so, take the next flight here and ill tell you what ill flood? your fuckin lungs with blood.

'You will get through it', yeah try saying that to someone thats lost a loved one or their home,

you post the most unneeded comment on a post trying to reach out for help, we dont need your bullshit.

Just a quick note, per capita Australia is one of, if not the most generous country in the world. Want proof? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanitarian_...#List_of_donors

Australia donated $1 billion US dollars to the Boxing Day Tsunami/Earthquake. for a country of only 25 million people thats a lot. I think we deserve a little help back.

I should also mention I'm lucky enough to not really be affected. The entry to my office building in the city might have gotten a little bit of water damage but nothing major. Quite a few of my friends though are currently homeless and crashing on friends and family's couches and spare rooms.

The amount of aid that Aus has sent to southeast asia is incredible considering the small size of our economy. Per capita, we beat America anyday!!

all i can say ...God bless them everyone ..

Word!!