BBC's review of "A Thousand Suns."

Xero21

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/88j9

Follow the link to read the entire review, they touch on a couple specific songs. Here's a couple passages:

It shouldn’t really be a surprise, but it’s still a shock to the system, exploding expectations like broken billiard balls. Minutes to Midnight, Linkin Park’s third album, made clear the California sextet’s move from nu-metal dynamics to something softer and more mainstream-friendly (not that they were struggling to shift records – 2000 debut Hybrid Theory has sold over 24 million copies). But if that was the sound of a band embracing their classic rock side, A Thousand Suns is, at its zenith/nadir (delete according to taste), Celine Dion Goes Mall Rock.

However, it should be noted that Linkin Park were not intending to make an album when they set about recording these less-than-impressive efforts. They were playing with ideas, breaking down concepts that’d served them well previously, trying to find something fresh. They didn’t want whatever their next album was to be predictable, and while A Thousand Suns might have emerged by accident compared to previous LPs, it’s certainly a far from plays-to-perceived-type affair.

If Linkin Park take the best moments of this haphazard set as jumping-off points for what happens next, they might just strike upon a new formula every bit as successful as the one that flogged their debut so brilliantly.

Overall, one of the most intelligent reviews of the album.

The review sounds full of itself to say the least. To be able to compare The Messenger to such music is completely absurd to say the least.

The album took me some getting used to, but it's rare for me to like an album as an entirety, and ATS did that. They managed to create their own sound and forced their fans to grow up.

Sometimes I just don't get people. Including myself. Why am I even ranting? It doesn't change anyone's opinion.

I think I need to get some sleep now.

Good review, and I'm really hoping they're right about being on the brink of something revolutionary. LP is one of a very small handful; or even the ONLY band out there that can pull it off. They could have done a lot better with the album, but it seemed as if they were on a big time crunch (at least that's what i got from MOATS) and hopefully they WILL write on the road like they said they will and that means more creativity, more productivity, and MORE MUSIC!!! B)

The review sounds full of itself to say the least. To be able to compare The Messenger to such music is completely absurd to say the least.

The album took me some getting used to, but it's rare for me to like an album as an entirety, and ATS did that. They managed to create their own sound and forced their fans to grow up.

Sometimes I just don't get people. Including myself. Why am I even ranting? It doesn't change anyone's opinion.

I think I need to get some sleep now.

Christina Aguilera is probably one of the best female vocals to grace us in modern music. They weren't comparing the "music" just the delivery and the fact that he did is a compliment to chester.

That´s why I said IMO...which means that is my opinion!!!

Thanks

You should try to be more objective :P

I don't agree with the review either but I still think it's very intelligent. Though I did think comparing Blackout to Pendulum was a big stretch.

I don't particularly agree with a lot of this review, because I do love the album, but I do agree with one thing. It feels really unfinished. I think this feeling comes from watching the DVD included with the special edition and seeing how much pressure the label put on the band, and I feel like they weren't done making this album when they had to turn it in. It feels raw and unfinished, definitely not something LP would have done on prior albums if they were going for this feel. I mean, there are really only 9 actual songs unless you count all the speeches and interludes songs. Don't get me wrong, they are 'songs' but you understand what I mean. And those 9 songs don't feel complete. I think When They Come For Me would have sounded heaps better if the chorus had Chester's vocal 'Oh, when they come for me, I'll be gone' instead of the 'Ohhh, Ohhh, Oh, Ohh' chorus. Blackout would have sounded a lot better without the remixed breakdown and the whole Mike singing slowly ending. The Catalyst even seems unfinished and raw. Burning In The Skies sounds like a demo with Mike singing the verses, Chester would have sounded better singing them for a final tracking. The only songs that seem complete to ME are Iridescent and The Messenger. W&K's verses, lyrically, and song structure really make it seem like a demo as well.

I don't particularly agree with a lot of this review, because I do love the album, but I do agree with one thing. It feels really unfinished. I think this feeling comes from watching the DVD included with the special edition and seeing how much pressure the label put on the band, and I feel like they weren't done making this album when they had to turn it in. It feels raw and unfinished, definitely not something LP would have done on prior albums if they were going for this feel. I mean, there are really only 9 actual songs unless you count all the speeches and interludes songs. Don't get me wrong, they are 'songs' but you understand what I mean. And those 9 songs don't feel complete. I think When They Come For Me would have sounded heaps better if the chorus had Chester's vocal 'Oh, when they come for me, I'll be gone' instead of the 'Ohhh, Ohhh, Oh, Ohh' chorus. Blackout would have sounded a lot better without the remixed breakdown and the whole Mike singing slowly ending. The Catalyst even seems unfinished and raw. Burning In The Skies sounds like a demo with Mike singing the verses, Chester would have sounded better singing them for a final tracking. The only songs that seem complete to ME are Iridescent and The Messenger. W&K's verses, lyrically, and song structure really make it seem like a demo as well.

actually, the breakdown in Blackout is what makes me love the song. Sounds to me you want them to sound like a typical formatted lp song or mainstream song from the looks of it. i believe this album is one of LP's masterpieces in their catalog. And i think its a catalyst(pun?) for their next album which will sound *hopefully* more evolved than this one.