The Official Dead By Sunrise Thread

Legend

I read that he was on talking with the Sum 41's drummer Frank Zummo on do something with DBS. That's sad because will be a very interesting return of DBS.

From Frank's instagram:

We recently were talking about doing some fun Dead By Sunrise shows in the near future.
Edited by MacGyver

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope we get to hear some of his unreleased material someday. I know it's not appropriate now, but eventually, would Talinda be the one who would have to approve it? I'm just wondering if anything he worked on will ever see the light of day. Hoping for the best in that regard. I know you are too!

Idk, this may come across as really dickish of me, but why is it not appropriate now? Chester should be being celebrated for everything he has done in music, not just Linkin Park's new album. His entire career, spanning from like 1992-2017 should be being celebrated. That means unreleased music coming out, video footage, t-shirts, posters, etc. He was the greatest singer of all time, IMO. His family and friends can take how ever long they need to grieve, I understand that. But Chester also left behind a lot of fans. The fans lost just as big of a loss as anyone, and I 100% stand behind that statement.

I read that he was on talking with the Sum 41's drummer Frank Zummo on do something with DBS. That's sad because will be a very interesting return of DBS.

From Frank's instagram:

Going further down the road, Julien-K’s drummer left them right before a tour, and they said, “Hey, we’re doing this tour in Europe. Would you want to do this?” And I was like, “Of course.” We went out to Europe for two weeks, and on that tour, they asked me if I would want to be part of Dead By Sunrise. I was like, “100 percent.” We were going to do a show together in Arizona, where Julien-K were going to play with Street Drum Corps, and Chester was living in Arizona. We were going to do an unannounced, surprise reunion show. Last minute, it wound up not working out.

A couple months ago this past winter, Sum 41 were finishing a nine-week tour. I’m in a random little bar in Russia, and this song comes on, and it was a deep cut from the Dead By Sunrise album that I didn’t recognize at first. I just heard Chester’s voice, and I’m like, “What is this?” And I’m like, “Oh my God, this is Dead By Sunrise!” At that point, I literally got on a group text with Chester, Amir and Ryan. I’m like, “Guys, I’m in Russia. This is a sign. Let’s do this. No stress: Let’s get together for a week, and let’s do a couple pop-up shows in warehouses in downtown LA Let’s just make it really, really special.” And everyone was like, “Yup. Let’s do this.” Chester’s like, “As soon as I have some time off from Linkin Park.” So we were actually talking about it and getting excited. As soon as I got back from the tour, Ryan and Amir were like, “Thank you for doing that. You’re actually getting the band back together right now by your excitement and the way you approached Chester about it.” It’s horrible that we’re not going to have the chance to do that.

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/frank_zummo_remembers_chester_bennington_interview

:(

Idk, this may come across as really dickish of me, but why is it not appropriate now? Chester should be being celebrated for everything he has done in music, not just Linkin Park's new album. His entire career, spanning from like 1992-2017 should be being celebrated. That means unreleased music coming out, video footage, t-shirts, posters, etc. He was the greatest singer of all time, IMO. His family and friends can take how ever long they need to grieve, I understand that. But Chester also left behind a lot of fans. The fans lost just as big of a loss as anyone, and I 100% stand behind that statement.

His music was therapy for me. I agree with your statement. I am just trying not to make anyone upset asking for unreleased content shortly after he passed but it's all I keep thinking about. I wished for another DBS/STP album for years. People don't get it, but those albums were my coping mechanisms. The lyrics and the way he sang about life really helped me. I know a million other people can say the same thing but it felt like he was speaking to me personally on those albums. Even a month later, this doesn't feel right at all.

Edited by spraypaintninkpens

Going further down the road, Julien-K’s drummer left them right before a tour, and they said, “Hey, we’re doing this tour in Europe. Would you want to do this?” And I was like, “Of course.” We went out to Europe for two weeks, and on that tour, they asked me if I would want to be part of Dead By Sunrise. I was like, “100 percent.” We were going to do a show together in Arizona, where Julien-K were going to play with Street Drum Corps, and Chester was living in Arizona. We were going to do an unannounced, surprise reunion show. Last minute, it wound up not working out.

A couple months ago this past winter, Sum 41 were finishing a nine-week tour. I’m in a random little bar in Russia, and this song comes on, and it was a deep cut from the Dead By Sunrise album that I didn’t recognize at first. I just heard Chester’s voice, and I’m like, “What is this?” And I’m like, “Oh my God, this is Dead By Sunrise!” At that point, I literally got on a group text with Chester, Amir and Ryan. I’m like, “Guys, I’m in Russia. This is a sign. Let’s do this. No stress: Let’s get together for a week, and let’s do a couple pop-up shows in warehouses in downtown LA Let’s just make it really, really special.” And everyone was like, “Yup. Let’s do this.” Chester’s like, “As soon as I have some time off from Linkin Park.” So we were actually talking about it and getting excited. As soon as I got back from the tour, Ryan and Amir were like, “Thank you for doing that. You’re actually getting the band back together right now by your excitement and the way you approached Chester about it.” It’s horrible that we’re not going to have the chance to do that.

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/frank_zummo_remembers_chester_bennington_interview

:(

His music was therapy for me. I agree with your statement. I am just trying not to make anyone upset asking for unreleased content shortly after he passed but it's all I keep thinking about. I wished for another DBS/STP album for years. People don't get it, but those albums were my coping mechanisms. The lyrics and the way he sang about life really helped me. I know a million other people can say the same thing but it felt like he was speaking to me personally on those albums. Even a month later, this doesn't feel right at all.

That Frank Zummo interview is interesting. There is a chance that it never would have happened, as Chester had said he wanted to do some stuff with DBS in the past, such as 2012, when Ryan said Chester wanted to make another DBS album and this time make it more raw and emotional, etc. But that sounded promising. Zummo as the drummer would have been cool, too. I always got confused with the members of Julien-K besides Ryan and Amir because it's always changing. I legit thought that Bidi guy was Elias at the recent Julien-K show that I went to. I never paid much attention to Julien-K except for Death To Analog, so I never knew all the changes, etc. Haha.

But I also agree with you that those albums were ''therapy''. Out Of Ashes was something I heavily related to when I was going through a dark period around the time that it came out. I still listen to the album to this day. It's a great album. High Rise was also cool but I didn't love it as much, I now wish we got a full STP album. But yeah, I hope we get all the unreleased stuff Chester did someday. He had so much music outside of LP.

This really is so sad, I really want another DBS album, and hear some demos from them remember how sounds My Suffering? That kind of music I want now.

I'm with you on that!!! I'd love to hear the original DBS stuff from 2005, 2006, etc. That version of My Suffering performed at Club Tattoo 2008 would be amazing to finally have. Even though the live recording of it is terrible, it still sounds epic to me, and likely better than the version we ended up getting as the final version. The original versions of Let Down and Walking In Circles from 2005 would also be epic to have, the first DBS songs ever written, I'm sure those were probably a little bit different. Fire and Too Late also were extremely different according to Chester, he basically re-wrote those entire songs for the album from what they originally were, that were much more darker.

Sadly, Warner owns all of the DBS stuff, and I don't think there's a high demand for it at all. And now that Chester's dead, I don't think they'll want to release any of it. It would be cool if Ryan or Amir or something got a hold of it and shared it but that's really asking too much from them, especially now.

Read Ryan's post on the DBS Facebook today. Sounds like he will spearhead releasing some stuff.

Not trying to be negative but let's see if anything ever comes out. A lot of music has been said to have been coming out in the past regarding a lot of stuff Chester has done and it never did, whether it was label or not, so we'll see.

• 2 months later...

Let's not forget - we have the original DBS song list that leaked onto Julien-K's site in late 2006/very early 2007. Chester said in an interview with KROQ in 2009 that he wrote Condemned and Inside Of Me after Howard Benson asked him for some harder rock songs for the album, so we know those two weren't part of the DBS music originally. Chester also said in July 2009 that he might release Out Of Ashes as a 10 song album. I think 2012 might be the demo title for End Of The World, as everyone used to say that 2012 was the end of the world back then in 2005, etc. We also knew the song existed in 2005 because Mike said Chester showed him a song that sounded like T-Rex, which would no doubt be End Of The World. That means Too Late was probably one of those demo titled, probably Wall Of Sound if I had to guess. And we have both of those Morning After's. Hold Life or Hard Life, whichever it was, could possibly be CBI.

Edited by Geki

Do you have links to those interviews?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRyN2rflzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr5Kk_XL3S4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk5eHdVZfiE

I think he mentions the Benson stuff in the second part but it's definitely in one of the 3 videos, all from the same interview.

As for Chester wanting it to be a ten song album, I'll have to look, as he posted it on his Twitter in July of 2009.

I found the quote from Mike about the T-Rex sounding song, but the link no longer exists since his blog was shut down.

"I was just hanging out with Chester, and got a chance to hear some of his new solo material! In case you haven't heard, he's doing a solo record (he's doing double-duty, working on his album and the LP album simultaneously). The project is called Dead By Sunrise, and the album is being produced by Howard Benson. He played me 9 songs, two of which had amazing vocals. I thought I could hear influences from T-Rex, overall it's a pretty punch-you-in-the-gut rock record. Very cool...look for it later this year, probably September-ish. It's going to be incredible!"

Honestly, though, I'm beginning to think ''Fuck DBS''. MTM completely blows it apart and even Death To Analog by Julien-K blows it apart. OOA was a mediocre rock album, nothing that special, I don't know why I was so obsessed with it, probably largely because of how long it took to come out, it was over hyped. It's nothing that special.

Edited by Geki

• 1 month later...

It's very interesting to me that DBS was surviving under the table this whole time and Chester really never completely shelved it. They were going to do this show: http://lplive.net/shows/db/julienk1213/20120428and then the surprise 2017 popup shows in LA. In 2009 he said he was definitely going to make another album, which tells me he might have even had more material he was sitting on, but he had to do LP first.

It's very interesting to me that DBS was surviving under the table this whole time and Chester really never completely shelved it. They were going to do this show: http://lplive.net/shows/db/julienk1213/20120428and then the surprise 2017 popup shows in LA. In 2009 he said he was definitely going to make another album, which tells me he might have even had more material he was sitting on, but he had to do LP first.

It is really interesting. They did that one off show in 2011 for Stars of the Season, late 2011. That 2012 show would have been badass. And the 2017 pop-up shows.... wow. Would have been so epic. I always thought that DBS wasn't done, but it definitely seemed ''done'' at times. I remember an interview in 2012 where Ryan said he was talking with Chester recently about DBS and he said they wanted to make another record, and this time around, make it more like how Out Of Ashes was supposed to be, raw and stripped down and emotional, etc. I'll have to look for the interview, it was on YouTube at one point, it was a Julien-K interview from 2012. Linkin Park, STP, his kids, all of that got in the way of a new DBS album, I think. But it's very understandable, especially the kids thing. LP hasn't stopped since 2006, the only real break for the band was in 2005, and even then, they played their biggest show of their career (Live 8) and another show. 2016 I suppose was somewhat of a break too, but it really wasn't, they were working on a new album the entire year, like 2006 (at least 2006 had the Japanese tour). STP also came in early 2013, and took up his time when he wasn't with Linkin Park up until late 2015. I'm sure Chester talked to the Grey Daze guys in 2016, a well as the DBS guys in 2016, and that's why he was gonna do those shows in 2017 with both of those bands. He also did Kings Of Chaos and shit in 2016 too, as well as The Hellcat Saints. He really kept busy. So I think a lack of time is why we never saw more DBS music. He definitely went through a dark period in 2015-2017 so he could have had some DBS style lyrics and songs. Remember in May of 2017, right after OML came out, Chester said he wrote 5 new songs by himself?

• 3 years later...

OUT OF ASHES - MORE THAN A DECADE LATER

I was thinking and discussing in the shoutbox about the album and how it still holds up until now, so I decided to do a short track by track of the album with my thoughts nearly 12 years after the release. ;) 

Fire: I always really like the track, especially the bridge, very catchy but still rocky. The demo is better tho. Rating: 7,5/10.

Crawl back in: Great song, very Grey Daze meets LP, the chorus bangs. Rating: 8/10 

Too Late: classic rock ballad, good performance by Chester, mayyybe little bit cliched. Rating: 7/10.

Inside of Me: punky, fun and fast. Given Up vibes. Rating: 8/10.

Let Down: the production is a bit too 2000s pop, but love Chester's performance, so intimate and naked. Rating: 8,5/10.

Give me your name: 70's rock vibe, for something REALLY different from LP. Cool love song for him and Talinda. Again, nothing new or groundbreaking at all but cool. Rating: 7,5/10.

My Suffering: the chorus is great, love the giutar work and the super dark very Chester-ish lyrics, but the verses are really formuliac. The demo is way better. Rating: 7/10.

Condemned: never liked the song that much, sounds like a 2nd rate My Suffering, and putting them side by side was not the best idea IMO. Saved by the screaming. Rating: 6,5/10.

Into You: really similar to Too Late, twin songs, same rating, 7/10.

End of The world: oh boy, what a mess! The mixing is disastrous, the song is very bland, the best thing is the guitar work. Rating: 5,5/10.

Walking in circles: I fucking LOVE the song, dark, moody, great lyrics, great Chester performance. Rating: 9-/10. 

In The Darkness: super cool song, very intimate at the beginning and ready to explode into a great ballad with addictive chorus. What's the weird ending tho lol. 8/10.

What do you guys think ?