2024.09.22 - Hamburg, Germany (Barclays Arena)

RogueSoul

Europe, your time has come! After absolutely destroying half of the LPLive team in a cross-coast USA run to start things off, Linkin Park plays their third show of the From Zero World Tour and first European show of the leg in Hamburg, Germany tonight on September 22, 2024 at the Barclays Arena. This will be the band's eighth show in the city and eleventh overall performance there!

GTC204575H_LINKIN_PARK_WEB_New_size_only

Linkin Park made their debut as the Brooklyn boys in their last show on September 16 in Brooklyn, New York at the Barclays Center (back-to-back Barclays venues is kind of crazy, by the way), and man did the crowd and band both pack a punch. The band debuted Set C in New York after performing Set A at the first show at the Kia Forum in Los Angeles, California on September 11. Largely, the setlists are the same, but with some switches that definitely caught us off-guard in the crowd! The biggest difference is a confirmed rotation slot in the setlist, the band unleashing the legendary 'A Place For My Head' upon the crowd in Brooklyn for the first time on the tour, and I can personally attest that that song singlehandedly set the entire place off into moshpits for the rest of the show. I have genuinely never seen such a constant mosh in my life -- it was incredible. Emily ArmstrongColin Brittain, and Tour-Brad Alex Feder nailed the song, playing it for the first time with the right amount of vigor that really got the whole place going. The song was performed instead of 'Lost In The Echo,' which was performed for the first time in its entirety since January 2014 in Los Angeles. The other difference in the setlist were the interludes - namely the 'Inception Intro,' 'Creation Intro,' and 'Resolution Intro.' While the previous uses of the tracks featured affected vocals from 'Castle Of Glass,' in this set, lyrics from 'Burn It Down' were played instead. It seems that the band has a different set of these interludes for each version of the set! Other than that, the rest of the setlist largely stayed the same, with 'Somewhere I Belong' and 'Crawling' opening the show, as well as deep cuts like 'My December,' 'Friendly Fire,' and 'Keys To The Kingdom' getting some more time in the spotlight. 'Bleed It Out' closed the show, with Mike rapping the first verse of 'There They Go' by Fort Minor over the bridge. Emily continued to get more comfortable with performing on their massive stage with a massive crowd, unleashing some truly deadly screams ('A Place For My Head' and the ending of 'Faint' were absolutely unreal), while Colin continued to test his chops with some additional fills on songs like 'Papercut' and 'Points Of Authority.'

The revelations of rotating sets leaves us one huge question: what does Set B hold in store for us? If they play it in Hamburg, keen fans will know right from the start as the intro will likely feature a different song than 'Castle Of Glass' or 'Burn It Down.' As far as the song lyrics used for intros and interludes go, they've both been from songs from LIVING THINGS, so perhaps Set B will also feature a track from the album as its anchor. 'Lost In The Echo' is the other single from the record, but there's also 'Roads Untraveled' (which was used as an intro in 2017) and maybe even 'Powerless,' which would be quite a surprise. Or, they could break the trend and pick another song from throughout the discography. If you're at the Hamburg show, make sure to report back to us what you hear!

The rotation slot is the next big mystery on the table. With big hitters like 'Lost In The Echo' and 'A Place For My Head' out, what could the third rotation song be? Anything in the discography is realistically possible. Any previous setlist staple that hasn't been brought out yet is possible: could we see the revival of 'No More Sorrow,' 'Figure.09,' or 'QWERTY' in Set B? Or perhaps a more tame (yet still filthy) track, with the likes of 'From The Inside' and 'Talking To Myself' still absent from the setlists. Only time will tell! The band could pull a fast one on us too by not performing Set B right off the bat in Hamburg, as well... perhaps the new rotation could be a new song, with heavy rumors that a new single called 'Heavy Is The Crown' is dropping on Monday, September 24 - the same day as the band's show in London. What do you think is going to be the next song to get its tour debut?

Perhaps the singular most LPLive piece of content the world has ever seen: our live reaction to 'A Place For My Head' getting its tour debut in Brooklyn, New York on September 16, 2024 at the Barclays Center!

Before we even get into Linkin Park's history in Hamburg, we have to take a moment to talk about what they're doing right now. For the past couple of days leading up to the show, Hamburg has become Linkin Park City. Linkin Park has been holding events throughout Hamburg throughout the last few days, including scavenger hunts for tickets with miniature models (as mentioned before), a drone light show taking over the skies of Hamburg, and a big fan event at Thai Oase including exclusive prizes and free drinks! Additionally, street performers have been playing the band's songs and more promo has been put up around the city. The band are certainly celebrating their return to Germany and Europe in style!

This is all no surprise, however, given that Germany is essentially Linkin Park's second home. With a whopping 66 total performances (including TV appearances, promo appearances, as otherwise), Germany is the band's second most-performed in country besides the USA, many of those being legendary Rock am Ring and Rock im Park performances. The band's last appearances in Hamburg itself, however, were during the brief One More Light Promotional Tour, with a streamed performance at the Warner Music Group Germany headquarters and an appearance at the Mercedes-me Store. Both were just Mike and Chester performing piano versions of songs such as 'Heavy,' 'Battle Symphony,' and 'What I've Done.'

Their last proper show in the city, however, was in the middle of The Hunting Party World Tour in November 2014. The fourth of nine German shows on that tour (might as well have been called The Hunting Party German Tour), the band delivered heavy tracks from the album including 'Guilty All The Same,' 'Rebellion,' 'Final Masquerade,' and 'Until It's Gone.' The band had to restart 'In The End' because Mike and Joe were confused about which song was coming next!

Hamburg was a big stop on the A Thousand Suns World Tour, being visited on both years of the tour. The first was in October 2010 on the first European leg of the tour, with tracks like 'Wretches and Kings,' 'When They Come For Me,' and 'The Catalyst' being freshly dusted off. 'Lying From You' and 'Leave Out All The Rest' were both performed as rotations in the set, in response to comments on LPLive at the time about the lack of variety in the sets (we're definitely not complaining about anything now!). The band returned next summer in June 2011, hosting the fourth LPU Summit earlier in the day. Fans who attended were treated to a special acoustic performance of 'The Messenger' and the live debut of the band's cover of Adele's 'Rolling In The Deep,' which would be performed a few shows later at the iTunes Festival in piano version form. With the legendary Adam Ruehmer back with the band with Lorenzo Errico and Ana Ginter also on deck, the return of the LPU Summit would definitely be welcomed.

Mike and Chester performing an acoustic version of Adele's 'Rolling In The Deep' at the 4th LPU Summit in Hamburg, Germany on June 21, 2011 at the O2 World.

The band visited Hamburg early on in the Minutes To Midnight World Tour, on the very first full leg of the tour in May 2007, just weeks after the album came out. This setlist featured all the iconic early Minutes To Midnight staples, including a 'One Step Closer' opener, 'Faint' closer with its then-brand new outro, and new tracks like 'No More Sorrow,' 'Given Up,' and 'The Little Things Give You Away.' Once again early in the cycle, the band visited Hamburg fresh off the heels of Meteora on the LP Underground Tour in February 2003. With the album not even out yet, everyone who attended heard brand new songs off of Meteora for the very first time, including 'Don't Stay,' 'Session,' and rare performances of 'Easier To Run' and 'Hit The Floor.' Chester accidentally started singing the second verse of 'Rnw@y' from Reanimation during 'Runaway' at this show before catching himself. Not so fun fact: this show was actually a reschedule from 2001, after the band cancelled the start of their September European Tour due to the September 11 attacks. On the Hybrid Theory World Tour, Linkin Park performed in Hamburg twice within two months: in March 2001, opening for Deftones' 'Back To School' Tour and previously in January 2001, for their first show ever in Germany and second show ever in Europe. 'Cure For The Itch' was brought back as show opener for this one after being dropped in the latter part of 2000, albeit as an abbreviated version. Being that Hamburg was the site of Linkin Park's very first show in Germany (and almost first show in Europe), it only feels right that their first show back in 7 years on the continent is held there. What will be the next chapter in Linkin Park's Hamburg history?

grandson will continue to open for these next few dates in Europe, and he certainly set the tone for the night for those who saw him in the United States. Opening with a shortened version of 'Running From My Shadow' from Mike's Post Traumatic album (a song that was made during his coming-up period), grandson celebrates his relationship with Mike and Linkin Park throughout the show, asking fans, "are you ready to be a part of music history tonight... Are you ready for the return for the greatest show in music, Linkin Park?!" grandson drills through some of his harder songs like '6:00' and Shinoda-produced 'Riptide,' before taking a moment to think about the people that couldn't be here with us in this new chapter of Linkin Park, including Chester, on the slower song 'Heather.' He picks it up again for the last half of his set, ending off on an explosive 'Blood // Water.' If you can make it early to see his set, make sure you do, as it is the perfect precursor to a big night in music history!

grandson performing his song 'Heather' in dedication to everyone that couldn't be with us in this new chapter of Linkin Park at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York on September 16, 2024.

Who's going to the show?! Weatherman Rogue Soul is looking at mostly sunny skies today in the city (I swear great weather seems to be following this band around... balance is being restored) and generally warm temperatures all around, so enjoy your time in the city if you'll be visiting for the show! An official merchandise booth will be open outside the venue starting at 1pm. After this show, the band has another lined up in Europe in London, England on Tuesday before heading off to Seoul, South Korea to wrap things up before presumably taking some rest before some heavy promo for their new album in November and a tour date in Colombia.

Things are still cooking in the Linkin Park news oven lately, with a new single possibly on the horizon in 'Heavy Is The Crown,' which is rumored to be the League Of Legends' Worlds 2024 anthem and could be released on September 24, 2024 (Monday!). If you need some more new music to tide you over until then, FEVER 333's new EP features a song called 'NOSEBLEEDS,' featuring Jason AalonMike Shinoda, and Colin Brittain as producers. Rumors are heating up about new tour dates as well, with the possibility of new shows this year in South America, including ArgentinaChile, and Brazil.

We'll have updates for you on today's show, and will be bringing it to live here and on social media (Twitter/X, Instagram, and Facebook), so be sure to follow us and sign up on the forums! Linkin Park's new album From Zero is coming on November 15, 2024.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, please someone help my paranoid mind, I am going to London show and I will be able to get to the venue to get the LPU early access wristband only at 9:30 AM earliest. Will there be any wristbands left? Or this is not limited somehow by time or number of wristbands? Any experience from US or from todays morning in Hamburg?

I’m wondering if the vocal over Intro B will be from The Catalyst or Waiting for the End - the two other songs in that four song run. I agree on From the Inside being a contender for rotation. Probably something high energy. 

With Heavy is the Crown allegedly dropping hours before London show, maybe that’ll take the rotation slot. One can dream. 

Edited by Sukotto

51 minutes ago, DaweLP1 said:

Guys, please someone help my paranoid mind, I am going to London show and I will be able to get to the venue to get the LPU early access wristband only at 9:30 AM earliest. Will there be any wristbands left? Or this is not limited somehow by time or number of wristbands? Any experience from US or from todays morning in Hamburg?

Hey, I was at the LPU early access line for the wristband at 8:00 am. I have a ticket 🎫 with a seatplace and didn't receive one as it is for standing area tickets only. Otherwise there were about 260 wristbands given to people with the correct combination. Could be familiar to Hamburg, could be different, but there are / were 500 in total here. The Problem was that general admission translates to general access in German language, too.

24 minutes ago, kevbenjam said:

Hey, I was at the LPU early access line for the wristband at 8:00 am. I have a ticket 🎫 with a seatplace and didn't receive one as it is for standing area tickets only. Otherwise there were about 260 wristbands given to people with the correct combination. Could be familiar to Hamburg, could be different, but there are / were 500 in total here. The Problem was that general admission translates to general access in German language, too.

Super helpful info, thank you so much, I most probably missed it, but I wonder if early entry is for all LPU members or only legacy from before Sep this year

9 minutes ago, DaweLP1 said:

Super helpful info, thank you so much, I most probably missed it, but I wonder if early entry is for all LPU members or only legacy from before Sep this year

You're welcome. Here in Hamburg it was for everyone of both, as far as I could see, as I unfortunately didn't get one, but it was a good time around some nice people waiting in the line.

Edited by kevbenjam

11 minutes ago, kevbenjam said:

You're welcome. Here in Hamburg it was for everyone of both, as far as I could see, as I unfortunately didn't get one, but it was a good time around some nice people waiting in the line.

Oh for sure, I will be rushing from airport in the morning to get to arena asap, but even if I dont get it in the end, but I will meet some hardcore fans, its always worth it.

Enjoy the show today!!!

Once again, a show in a small arena, just like in Los Angeles and New York. No arena for more than 20,000 people...

They probably didn’t even know the demand for tickets would be so high. Clearly, they have a demand that no one imagined. They could easily play for 40,000 people now.

Still, I wonder if Emily and Colin have ever performed for crowds that size.

Either way, it’s amazing! I think the demand for tickets is the highest since the end of the Meteora tour.

Edited by LeonardoMF93

I'll be arriving in Hamburg shortly, so looking forward to the show!

Saw LP for the first time in the same venue in 2007 and the crowd was spectacular. I feel like there could be a similar kind of energy today. Hoping to see some familiar faces. Let's crush this place!

1 hour ago, LeonardoMF93 said:

Once again, a show in a small arena, just like in Los Angeles and New York. No arena for more than 20,000 people...

They probably didn’t even know the demand for tickets would be so high. Clearly, they have a demand that no one imagined. They could easily play for 40,000 people now.

Still, I wonder if Emily and Colin have ever performed for crowds that size.

Either way, it’s amazing! I think the demand for tickets is the highest since the end of the Meteora tour.

I reckon it’s in part that this is a warm up tour. Usually they’d play multiple arenas in Germany, UK etc which spreads out demand. 

Wembley Stadium in London is 75-90,000 seated capacity, plus ~25,000 standing (according to Wikipedia). Could they have sold that out? Maybe on this occasion. Though I’m not sure they’d sell out multiple nights as part of a larger tour, unlike spreading across arenas around the country, which is more accessible for more fans. My two cents. Happy to be proved wrong in the future!

32 minutes ago, Sukotto said:

I reckon it’s in part that this is a warm up tour. Usually they’d play multiple arenas in Germany, UK etc which spreads out demand. 

Wembley Stadium in London is 75-90,000 seated capacity, plus ~25,000 standing (according to Wikipedia). Could they have sold that out? Maybe on this occasion. Though I’m not sure they’d sell out multiple nights as part of a larger tour, unlike spreading across arenas around the country, which is more accessible for more fans. My two cents. Happy to be proved wrong in the future!

I agree that this tour is a warm-up, but at the same time, it's the biggest chance to do huge shows.

While I understand the reason for not doing stadium shows right now, it ends up being a missed opportunity. Maybe they’ll end up doing them to close the tour with those possible new dates in South America.

I agree with you. For the next tour, it's better to have medium-sized shows in more places than one giant show in a single location.

1 hour ago, LeonardoMF93 said:

I agree that this tour is a warm-up, but at the same time, it's the biggest chance to do huge shows.

While I understand the reason for not doing stadium shows right now, it ends up being a missed opportunity. Maybe they’ll end up doing them to close the tour with those possible new dates in South America.

I agree with you. For the next tour, it's better to have medium-sized shows in more places than one giant show in a single location.

Wembley Stadium would have been an insane show. Or one in Germany. Given the queues online went over 200,000, they’d have easily filled them. 

There are risks starting with stadium shows. You need to see how the new single does, what album preorders look like, etc. They’ve also been away 7 years and have a new band lineup - you need to get them used to playing with you in front of crowds. Arenas are fine for now but they do have stadiums booked in 2025 (maybe announce around the album release?) and headlining festival slots. 

2 minutes ago, Sukotto said:

Wembley Stadium would have been an insane show. Or one in Germany. Given the queues online went over 200,000, they’d have easily filled them. 

A show at Wembley would be insane! How about a show at Maracanã Stadium in November? That would be amazing too...

3 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

There are risks starting with stadium shows. You need to see how the new single does, what album preorders look like, etc. They’ve also been away 7 years and have a new band lineup - you need to get them used to playing with you in front of crowds. Arenas are fine for now but they do have stadiums booked in 2025 (maybe announce around the album release?) and headlining festival slots. 

For sure! It’s easy for me to say they should have thought about stadiums after seeing that the demand for tickets was high.

It would be amazing, but definitely a big risk.

I just don’t know if that demand will still be there in 2025.

8 hours ago, Qwerty18 said:

I'll wear an Enter Shikari shirt with a goddamn giant octopus on it - that if I don't get a last min LP shirt. In the possible chance someone spots me and feels like saying hi, hit me up!

So nice to meet you!