Linkin Park Music Videos Upgrading to 4K

LPLStaff

35 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

using AI

I think this is misleading. The majority of the quality upgrades don't involve AI upscaling at all, at least from what I can tell. For example, WFTE has no AI upscaling involved at all (and I would also assume that all AI models would produce shit output in that case anyway). I think in most cases they just had a better quality version laying around that were simply never uploaded to YouTube or they rescanned original tapes (like they most probably did for OSC back then). They only applied AI upscaling very selectively, e.g. in LOATR they only use it for specific scenes. I would guess that 75% of that video for example doesn't involve AI upscaling at all (or just very minor to bring it over the 4k finish line so to speak). All the Chester solo scenes for example don't look AI upscaled to me while the scenes in the beginning where Mike pulls of the helmet or the close up shot of Rob playing chess are definitely AI upscaled in a very visible way.

I wish they would have kept it away from all scenes though since a) I think the videos would have looked good enough without it and b) it creates this very distinct AI upscaling artifacting which we never can get rid of. AI upscaling is something that will only improve from here on out and with tech like RTX upscaling, it will happen on the client while playing back the video, but we won't be able to benefit from that in the future since parts of the videos already went through one pass of AI upscaling.

Edited by Coizu

4 hours ago, Coizu said:

I think this is misleading. The majority of the quality upgrades don't involve AI upscaling at all, at least from what I can tell. For example, WFTE has no AI upscaling involved at all (and I would also assume that all AI models would produce shit output in that case anyway). I think in most cases they just had a better quality version laying around that were simply never uploaded to YouTube or they rescanned original tapes (like they most probably did for OSC back then). They only applied AI upscaling very selectively, e.g. in LOATR they only use it for specific scenes. I would guess that 75% of that video for example doesn't involve AI upscaling at all (or just very minor to bring it over the 4k finish line so to speak). All the Chester solo scenes for example don't look AI upscaled to me while the scenes in the beginning where Mike pulls of the helmet or the close up shot of Rob playing chess are definitely AI upscaled in a very visible way.

I wish they would have kept it away from all scenes though since a) I think the videos would have looked good enough without it and b) it creates this very distinct AI upscaling artifacting which we never can get rid of. AI upscaling is something that will only improve from here on out and with tech like RTX upscaling, it will happen on the client while playing back the video, but we won't be able to benefit from that in the future since parts of the videos already went through one pass of AI upscaling.

I'd be surprised if WTFE had a 4K version natively back then with all those VFX, I bet they just did a better handbrake-type conversion with the original uncompressed file but set the dimensions to 4K. But yeah I agree, I wish they didn't have the AI upscaling in and you can clearly see it in a lot of places. There also seems to be some jittery dropped frame-type issues in a few LOATR shots, I can't tell if that's an artifact from the upscale or something else 

As i said it before, its hard to complain about the upgrades on these videos, the quality is so fucking good! could they have done it better? absolutely but i guess that involved way more $$$

in case that you prefer the old videos feeel free to watch the old shitty ass potato quality using the wayback machine and stop complaining haha

LOATR 360(p)otato https://web.archive.org/web/20201020222912/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZIummTz9mM

the boost in quality is FANTASTIC

39 minutes ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

As i said it before, its hard to complain about the upgrades on these videos, the quality is so fucking good! could they have done it better? absolutely but i guess that involved way more $$$

in case that you prefer the old videos feeel free to watch the old shitty ass potato quality using the wayback machine and stop complaining haha

LOATR 360(p)otato https://web.archive.org/web/20201020222912/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZIummTz9mM

the boost in quality is FANTASTIC

dude you already strawmanned the complaint in the shoutbox once, we're clearly not saying we wanna watch the old quality, we're saying we want to watch the best source available sans AI artifacts. basically the same convo DBZ fans have had with every home disc release lol 

17 hours ago, YRQRM0 said:

dude you already strawmanned the complaint in the shoutbox once, we're clearly not saying we wanna watch the old quality, we're saying we want to watch the best source available sans AI artifacts. basically the same convo DBZ fans have had with every home disc release lol 

BROADCAST AUDIO!!! ORIGINAL SOURCE PLZ! 

What happened w BIO? 

On 4/11/2024 at 9:17 AM, YRQRM0 said:

If enough people wanted to buy that, the Level sets would have been successful.

I have a personal investment in good quality anime releases, for, well, Reasons, but if the market is given the opportunity and the fans don't come, there's not a lot anyone can do. I'd like for them to try again, but...

Edited by Elaine

On 4/10/2024 at 5:38 PM, Coizu said:

Leave out all the rest i can pick and point the AI upscaling artifacts in every closeup. Its really apparant but good enough quality to pass. WFTE's VFX actually helps mask it a bit. And yes they 100% also based it on their best base quality which also helps.

I honestly think every AI upscaling video is pretty damn good. The tech is getting better and better.

awesome news. they used ND alternative version (band version) for this release to upgrade to 4K...that's interesting

I wonder why the don't the same for BIO

What confuses me the most is that I am like 90% sure that I downloaded a HD version of the BIO music video back in 2007 so there must be at least a 720p or 1080p version. I can't find any hints of a HD download back then anymore so maybe I am just dreaming it up.

Edited by Coizu

On 4/17/2024 at 11:40 AM, Coizu said:

What confuses me the most is that I am like 90% sure that I downloaded a HD version of the BIO music video back in 2007 so there must be at least a 720p or 1080p version. I can't find any hints of a HD download back then anymore so maybe I am just dreaming it up.

probably a 480p extract from a DVD that got upscaled.