Last Major Missing Setlist Found - Jimmy Kimmel 2007

LPLStaff

Back in 2007, Linkin Park played Jimmy Kimmel Live for Minutes to Midnight, except the show was moved to the House of Blues on Sunset Strip. As is customary with Kimmel sets, the bands usually play two songs for TV and then a few more songs for the fans in attendance. Since this was at a small club, it was expected Linkin Park would at least play ten or more songs.

Fan sites at the time reported on alleged setlists, and we even made LPU threads and posts asking attendees for the set. However, nothing was ever found to exactly confirm what the band played. The setlist on the show page from 2007-2023 was a combination of what attendees guessed/remembered was played and we've kept it as unconfirmed this entire time. As far as the Linkin Park community is concerned, this was the last missing setlist from 2004 to present day that was missing from the site. Everything from late 2004 to now has been properly archived for Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Dead By Sunrise, Mike Shinoda, and more. At times, this has relied on DBS member Amir Derakh or even Mike Shinoda himself to send us setlists for the site. And we thank them for all of the help by doing that.

Thankfully, Felipeintheend was able to contact a producer of the show that archived setlists by bands played on Jimmy Kimmel over the years, and the person was happy to send over exactly what Linkin Park performed that night. 

Linkin Park at the House Of Blues Sunset Strip - May 18, 2007

01. What I've Done (TV)
02. Bleed It Out (TV)
———————————
03. No More Sorrow
04. From the Inside
05. Given Up
06. One Step Closer
07. Lying From You
08. Somewhere I Belong
09. Numb
10. Pushing Me Away (Piano Version)
11. Breaking the Habit
12. In the End
13. Faint

So... 5,721 days later, we finally have the setlist and have been able to fix the number one gap we've had from the end of the Meteora era to present day!

7 minutes ago, bloodbath said:

You should have kept this until MTM 20th anniversary 

Well we don't have a recording of the show so it's pointless. Sit on a setlist for 4 more years? Haha. What if something happened to us and it got lost? Probably best to get it out into the public on the Internet immediately so it doesn't ever get lost.

Just now, LPLStaff said:

Well we don't have a recording of the show so it's pointless. Sit on a setlist for 4 more years? Haha. What if something happened to us and it got lost? Probably best to get it out into the public on the Internet immediately so it doesn't ever get lost.

Was just kidding 😂. Glad to see that there's one less empty spot

Super random post but my mind is so weird. Back in 2007 or whenever I found out about LPLive all that information from 2000 seemed ancient and it was crazy how more information about those early times was able to surface over time. To me all that stuff was lost in time already anyway, who would remember random details from 5-8 years ago, so why bother searching for it? Now in 2023 a 16 year old setlist shows up and I am like "cool, glad that got sorted out" and it doesn't seem out of the ordinary at all to me. Just some random thought, but it is super interesting how perception of time changes when you get older. Maybe there is also a change of how you perceive things that happened before you get involved into something and things that happen while you are already involved. Anyway, really cool that this can be removed from the list of things that are still a mystery. It's great that there are still people around who are heavily invested into archiving all information possible.

19 minutes ago, Coizu said:

Super random post but my mind is so weird. Back in 2007 or whenever I found out about LPLive all that information from 2000 seemed ancient and it was crazy how more information about those early times was able to surface over time. To me all that stuff was lost in time already anyway, who would remember random details from 5-8 years ago, so why bother searching for it? Now in 2023 a 16 year old setlist shows up and I am like "cool, glad that got sorted out" and it doesn't seem out of the ordinary at all to me. Just some random thought, but it is super interesting how perception of time changes when you get older. Maybe there is also a change of how you perceive things that happened before you get involved into something and things that happen while you are already involved. Anyway, really cool that this can be removed from the list of things that are still a mystery. It's great that there are still people around who are heavily invested into archiving all information possible.

Agreed fully. Even in the Meteora era, Linkin Park blew up so quickly that the 2000-2001, and even 2002(!), seemed so ancient. And we'd never find more stuff about that era for setlists, etc. Turns out over time we actually found more dates (like this, or this, or this entire show) that were missing. The existence of old tour itineraries for the crews really helped us nail down and confirm some early stuff for the band. When people are like "are you sure your archive is accurate?", we're like... well, it's EXTREMELY close if it isn't exact. For every show played as Linkin Park, there is a 99.999% chance there are no legitimate shows missing from the live guide.

Maybe this Kimmel set isn't so surprising to some because the Internet has so many archival tools at its disposal now, and people are more reachable than ever. Imagine in 2003 saying "oh I'll just ask an LP crew member about X"... that just didn't ever happen in the fanbase. Now, you can tweet, DM, Facebook message, email, etc someone who worked with the band and they're like "ah yeah, this happened at this time, and that didn't happen at that time" or something. People are extremely accessible. Just like with Kimmel - no way could we have contacted a producer of the show in 2007. But in 2023? That's actually possible lol. So the "shock" factor is really not there for some things like this. Sure, we could have asked the LP team in 2027 when they did an MTM box set what this setlist was, because they have it archived somewhere for sure. But - very glad to have it now.

Time is so wild. Can you believe how active the site was in 2007 on the MTM tour... a "CuteNews" show thread for every show with tons of comments? And it's now... 2023? Really hard to believe. Went by in the blink of an eye.

On 1/15/2023 at 6:53 PM, LPLStaff said:

People are extremely accessible.

Reminds me of how surreal it was in 2020 to have a question and be able to just ask Mike directly on Twitch.

Some questions that we had been wondering about for nearly 20 years suddenly were being casually answered by Mike himself, one after another. Crazy!

16 hours ago, Justin said:

Reminds me of how surreal it was in 2020 to have a question and be able to just ask Mike directly on Twitch.

Some questions that we had been wondering about for nearly 20 years suddenly were being casually answered by Mike himself, one after another. Crazy!

It was so accessible that we started asking him about EVERY song on the wiki we could find that needed song information. Surely he caught on eventually haha. But he was graceful and kind enough to answer literally everything. We'd queue up a few questions at a time and submit them... we had a whole chat for it. At the end of the day, it contributed SIGNIFICANTLY (!) to the song information on Linkinpedia, especially for songs we did not have any information for. The 2020-2021 updates were huge. We found out about all sorts of stuff.

Funny enough - well after he finished doing the Q&As we realized we forgot to ask about one of the Mall songs (and also, Dancer from Mall) - so those are two we don't have. lol. But pretty much everything else was fleshed out due to Mike's answers. We can get around to those Mall tracks one day and ask him, probably at a M&G or something.

On 1/16/2023 at 12:47 AM, LPLStaff said:

Back in 2007, Linkin Park played Jimmy Kimmel Live for Minutes to Midnight, except the show was moved to the House of Blues on Sunset Strip. As is customary with Kimmel sets, the bands usually play two songs for TV and then a few more songs for the fans in attendance. Since this was at a small club, it was expected Linkin Park would at least play ten or more songs.

Fan sites at the time reported on alleged setlists, and we even made LPU threads and posts asking attendees for the set. However, nothing was ever found to exactly confirm what the band played. The setlist on the show page from 2007-2023 was a combination of what attendees guessed/remembered was played and we've kept it as unconfirmed this entire time. As far as the Linkin Park community is concerned, this was the last missing setlist from 2004 to present day that was missing from the site. Everything from late 2004 to now has been properly archived for Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Dead By Sunrise, Mike Shinoda, and more. At times, this has relied on DBS member Amir Derakh or even Mike Shinoda himself to send us setlists for the site. And we thank them for all of the help by doing that.

Thankfully, Felipeintheend was able to contact a producer of the show that archived setlists by bands played on Jimmy Kimmel over the years, and the person was happy to send over exactly what Linkin Park performed that night. 

Linkin Park at the House Of Blues Sunset Strip - May 18, 2007

01. What I've Done (TV)
02. Bleed It Out (TV)
———————————
03. No More Sorrow
04. From the Inside
05. Given Up
06. One Step Closer
07. Lying From You
08. Somewhere I Belong
09. Numb
10. Pushing Me Away (Piano Version)
11. Breaking the Habit
12. In the End
13. Faint

So... 5,721 days later, we finally have the setlist and have been able to fix the number one gap we've had from the end of the Meteora era to present day!

Great catch! Finally, I would say

On 1/18/2023 at 4:48 PM, LPLStaff said:

It was so accessible that we started asking him about EVERY song on the wiki we could find that needed song information. Surely he caught on eventually haha. But he was graceful and kind enough to answer literally everything. We'd queue up a few questions at a time and submit them... we had a whole chat for it. At the end of the day, it contributed SIGNIFICANTLY (!) to the song information on Linkinpedia, especially for songs we did not have any information for. The 2020-2021 updates were huge. We found out about all sorts of stuff.

Funny enough - well after he finished doing the Q&As we realized we forgot to ask about one of the Mall songs (and also, Dancer from Mall) - so those are two we don't have. lol. But pretty much everything else was fleshed out due to Mike's answers. We can get around to those Mall tracks one day and ask him, probably at a M&G or something.

I wonder if Mike has ever "reviewed" linkinpedia and which would be his opinion 

On 1/21/2023 at 2:16 PM, bloodbath said:

I wonder if Mike has ever "reviewed" linkinpedia and which would be his opinion 

He talked about it on Twitch several times, he wanted to know who all works on it (which websites), he knew LPLive like "curated" it, etc. He knows we asked him for stuff, like the Sorry for Now demo lyrics. He's probably at least glanced at it.

On 1/18/2023 at 8:48 PM, LPLStaff said:

It was so accessible that we started asking him about EVERY song on the wiki we could find that needed song information. Surely he caught on eventually haha. But he was graceful and kind enough to answer literally everything. We'd queue up a few questions at a time and submit them... we had a whole chat for it. At the end of the day, it contributed SIGNIFICANTLY (!) to the song information on Linkinpedia, especially for songs we did not have any information for how to get rid of moobs. The 2020-2021 updates were huge. We found out about all sorts of stuff.

You tell the efforts very nicely. It is always better to question about, so that you can get the hints about what you can do. 

Edited by ShelbyCraig