Mike Shinoda - Cognition (Sleepy Track) // Out June 4, 2021

PeppePark

After several months of waiting, we finally have a release date for the "Sleepy Track" created live on Twitch by Mike.

The project started when a fan asked for a long and relaxing "sleepy" song, so Mike produced it on August 28, 2020, experimenting with relaxing sounds, white noise, and drone music vibes.

Mike's intention was always to send the royalties to his scholarship at ArtCenter College of Design, and that was the reason why it took so long to arrange the release.

"My concept is actually, I have a scholarship at ArtCenter College of Design that I funded forever ago, and I realized, 'Ah I'd really love to do something with the income from the Sleepy Time Jam that's really cool.' I want to try to send those royalties there, I want it to help fund the scholarship. When you are doing something like that, if I donate it from my royalty income, it gets taxed on the way to me and then I can donate my portion to the school. So I'm like, 'Is there a way I can do it where just donate the album itself to the school?' So if it makes $1,000, then the thousand dollars is taxed and then a portion of a thousand dollars goes to the scholarship. So I'd rather the whole thing go, if it's possible. My scholarship at ArtCenter, it's big enough for a graphics or illustration student based on financial need and merit. So they have to be really good and they have to need the money, and they need help going to school. So we'll figure it out, that's why it's taking an extra second. We aren't going to just put it up on SoundCloud or let you download the thing, I want to do something like that with it. It's complicated enough... the government doesn't want you to use charitable donation as like a tax loophole basically. So you've gotta do it the proper, legal way and I'm not super educated on how that works so we’re figuring it out. So that'll be that with the Sleepy Time Jam."

It was accidentally released on November 20, 2020 exclusively on AcousticSounds.com for U.S. purchasers, and later taken down.
The release was named "Sleep For Students" and, to everyone's surprise, included the whole song divided into 30 tracks, for a total length of around 78 minutes, instead of the approximate 20 minutes Mike produced during the stream.

Mike also said that he didn't like "Sleep For Students" as a title, and that he wasn't sure how to name it.

After various updates, on today's Twitch stream, Mike finally revealed the release date, intentionally showing three folders on his desktop, in a similar way he did with "Dropped Frames, Vol. 2".

The folders were named: "CHILL SLEEP TRACK", "OUT TOMORROW 6/3", and "ON THE CALM APP".

Since we didn't have any other confirmation, he probably mispelled the date.
The actual release will be tomorrow, on June 4th, on the "Calm" app.

"Calm is a leading app for meditation and sleep. Join the millions experiencing lower stress, less anxiety, and more restful sleep with our guided meditations, Sleep Stories, breathing programs, masterclasses, and relaxing music. Recommended by top psychologists, therapists, and mental health experts."

To this point, we don't have any confirmation about the new title or if there are any more differences in the release, so stay tuned!

EDIT:
The track is now available, exclusively on the Calm app, with a new title: "Cognition".

Mike talked about it during today's stream:

"I thought to show up and say hi, let you know that the chill/sleepy track/study track is gonna be out today. Finally, right? Big cheer for that. It took a really long time. We were gonna do it on regular streaming services and trying to get the income from that to go to my scholarship at Art Center, and that wasn't gonna work. And then we got an offer from Calm, to do it in their app, as an exclusive, and is a great fit. So here's the story about that track, so... For those who are new... Somebody requested a "sleepy" track, a "go to sleep" kind of track. And I basically did one... just like stream of consciouness track one day, where I just did very chill sounds, for the entire session. So I made it live on Twitch, somebody can send you the link if you want to see the making of it, I don't remember what day it was. I don't remember how long ended up being the final version, let's say it's an hour, I don't remember exactly how long. Here's the information, so... It's gonna be called 'Cognition'. That's gonna be the name of the track, or the name of the experience. So, 'Cognition' is gonna be available exclusively in the Calm app. You need to be a subscriber to listen to it, but they have a free 7-day trial. You might say 'Oh man! I really don't wanna subscribe to the app!', but they're giving you guys a 40% discount as members of my community here on Twitch for the annual subscription, so that's great. So it's almost half off, just use the link calm.com/mikeshinoda. And if you're not ready for that just check out 'Cognition' for the next seven days for free, and then you can see if you actually want to use it. But I like the app, it's a good app for meditation, for going to sleep to, they've got all kinds of other experiences. One of the reasons why we chose that one... I should say 'Why I chose that one'... is because they've got other stuff from other musicians, from other celebrities, notable people, whatever... They've got stuff for training your mind, for meditation... they've got nature sounds, they've got more sound design-y kind of relaxation experiences. So, if you want to check it out, go check it out. Who else is in there? Diplo is in there, with a very chill thing, not a dancing thing. LeBron James has like a... what's his called? 'Train your mind'... he also has a meditation one... So yeah, there's a bunch of folks on there who have made these very cool chill experiences."

If someone will decided to get the access to it, it would be awesome to have some info about it, like how long it is and if there are any differences comparing to the version that leaked in November 2020 (the totall length of that version was: 78 minutes, 35 seonds).

• PeppePark changed the title to Mike Shinoda - Cognition (Sleepy Track) // Out June 4, 2021
22 hours ago, PeppePark said:

The track is now available, exclusively on the Calm app, with a new title: "Cognition".

Mike talked about it during today's stream:

"I thought to show up and say hi, let you know that the chill/sleepy track/study track is gonna be out today. Finally, right? Big cheer for that. It took a really long time. We were gonna do it on regular streaming services and trying to get the income from that to go to my scholarship at Art Center, and that wasn't gonna work. And then we got an offer from Calm, to do it in their app, as an exclusive, and is a great fit. So here's the story about that track, so... For those who are new... Somebody requested a "sleepy" track, a "go to sleep" kind of track. And I basically did one... just like stream of consciouness track one day, where I just did very chill sounds, for the entire session. So I made it live on Twitch, somebody can send you the link if you want to see the making of it, I don't remember what day it was. I don't remember how long ended up being the final version, let's say it's an hour, I don't remember exactly how long. Here's the information, so... It's gonna be called 'Cognition'. That's gonna be the name of the track, or the name of the experience. So, 'Cognition' is gonna be available exclusively in the Calm app. You need to be a subscriber to listen to it, but they have a free 7-day trial. You might say 'Oh man! I really don't wanna subscribe to the app!', but they're giving you guys a 40% discount as members of my community here on Twitch for the annual subscription, so that's great. So it's almost half off, just use the link calm.com/mikeshinoda. And if you're not ready for that just check out 'Cognition' for the next seven days for free, and then you can see if you actually want to use it. But I like the app, it's a good app for meditation, for going to sleep to, they've got all kinds of other experiences. One of the reasons why we chose that one... I should say 'Why I chose that one'... is because they've got other stuff from other musicians, from other celebrities, notable people, whatever... They've got stuff for training your mind, for meditation... they've got nature sounds, they've got more sound design-y kind of relaxation experiences. So, if you want to check it out, go check it out. Who else is in there? Diplo is in there, with a very chill thing, not a dancing thing. LeBron James has like a... what's his called? 'Train your mind'... he also has a meditation one... So yeah, there's a bunch of folks on there who have made these very cool chill experiences."

The track is one long track with no breaks, as is common on Calm, and it runs 1:19:03 (or 79:03, so slightly longer than the “Sleep for Students” release?). Can’t speak to any other differences, as I don’t have the Acoustic Sounds release. It’s fairly bare bones, with the same cover art as the Nov. 2020 release.

Edited by letdownagain

2 hours ago, letdownagain said:

The track is one long track with no breaks, as is common on Calm, and it runs 1:19:03 (or 79:03, so slightly longer than the “Sleep for Students” release?). Can’t speak to any other differences, as I don’t have the Acoustic Sounds release. It’s fairly bare bones, with the same cover art as the Nov. 2020 release.

Just like A Thousand Suns: The Full Experience! Hell yes!

On 6/4/2021 at 9:02 PM, letdownagain said:

The track is one long track with no breaks, as is common on Calm, and it runs 1:19:03 (or 79:03, so slightly longer than the “Sleep for Students” release?). Can’t speak to any other differences

All the differences:

- it's unmastered
- it's 14 seconds longer
- Mike added white noise to few parts

The Moby track that's there was also firstly exclusively on Calm app and after 30 days was released on other services, but it seems that this will not happen with Cognition.

Edited by martinez