Grey Daze - Amends... Stripped (EP) - January 29, 2021

Somebodyangry

23 hours ago, erichoholic2k1 said:

Not a fan of Chester's singing style during the, ahem, Grey Daze, but a cool project for fans that reminds me of those homemade acoustic/piano remixes of LP songs on YouTube. 

Some of the renditions are on par with studio version of The Messenger in terms of quality IMO. 
Sometimes and Syndrome are 10/10 in this acoustic rendition 

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Trumtram said:

Isn't that basically the same version as the piano version from the 90s?

22 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

It’s a different vocal take from the Amends version, don’t know it it’s the same as the 90s piano version, it may be 

I think it is the same vocal take because the same studio conversation from the acoustic version of "The Down Syndrome" from "...No Sun Today" is at the beginning of "The Syndrome" from "Amends... Stripped". Not too sure if they used the Amends version of the song for the bridge or not.

Edited by NJPLP

3 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

I think it is the same vocal take because the same studio conversation from the acoustic version of "The Down Syndrome" from "...No Sun Today" is at the beginning of "The Syndrome" from "Amends Stripped". Not too sure if they used the Amends version of the song for the bridge or not.

I bet it’s a sort of “puzzle” like LP did with some OML Live songs. The conversation at the beginning has an higher volume so maybe it was “”attached”” to the song ? Really don’t know, if someone knows best, let us know 

The Down Syndrome (Acoustic) (...No Sun Today)

The Syndrome (Stripped) (Amends... Stripped)

They sound similar. Not too sure if they are the exact same vocal take, but I'm sure someone will figure it out sooner or later.

16 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

The Down Syndrome (Acoustic) (...No Sun Today)

The Syndrome (Stripped) (Amends... Stripped)

They sound similar. Not too sure if they are the exact same vocal take, but I'm sure someone will figure it out sooner or later.

It’s really similar, to me sounds the same vocal take but I might be wrong. So far the only 100% “”new”” vocal take is the one on Shouting Out 

What's In The Eye (Acoustic) (Amends) [Target, Japan, Saturn Bonus Track]

What's In The Eye (Stripped) (Amends... Stripped)

Sometimes (Acoustic) (Amends) [Target, Japan, Saturn Bonus Track]

Sometimes (Stripped) (Amends... Stripped)

Soul Song (Acoustic) (Amends) [Walmart Bonus Track]

Soul Song (Stripped) (Amends... Stripped)

I'm pretty sure between both acoustic & stripped version of "What's In The Eye", "Sometimes", & "Soul Song" from Amends (Walmart, Target, Japan, Saturn Exclusives) & Amends... Stripped, they are either the same song or slightly different versions from one another.

1 hour ago, NJPLP said:

What's In The Eye (Acoustic) (Amends) [Target, Japan, Saturn Bonus Track]

What's In The Eye (Stripped) (Amends... Stripped)

Sometimes (Acoustic) (Amends) [Target, Japan, Saturn Bonus Track]

Sometimes (Stripped) (Amends... Stripped)

Soul Song (Acoustic) (Amends) [Walmart Bonus Track]

Soul Song (Stripped) (Amends... Stripped)

I'm pretty sure between both acoustic & stripped version of "What's In The Eye", "Sometimes", & "Soul Song" from Amends (Walmart, Target, Japan, Saturn Exclusives) & Amends... Stripped, they are either the same song or slightly different versions from one another.

Soul Song is slightly different for sure IMO. Anyway, now we have these acoustic versions on Spotify all in one place without randomly searching for them on YT uploaded by Japanese fans 🙂

30 minutes ago, Trumtram said:

Oh wow, I never really went for the "cash grab" argument, but this is... something I suppose.

Those tracks were Japanese bonus editions exclusives, Shouting Out has a totally different vocal take, and the album comes out as a super limited vynil and for free on streaming platforms... Don’t get the cash grab. It’s not that different from releasing HT20 Boxset with 90% of the content included being already out there for decades. 
Just my opinion 

Comparing this to the HT20 set doesn't work (whataboutism in general is no answer). Much of the contents were out beforehand, yes, but most of it was LPU stuff which was never officially available to the wider public. Plus it was a celebration for the original album with new unseen DVDs, a couple new demos, first time LP release of HTEP etc.

With "Stripped" I find it irritating to release some of these versions on different releases for "Amends" (or even in the 90s) and then make an EP from those. Of course with limited vinyl stuff and everything. "Amends" was crazy in this regard but at least it was a special release, so I could see past that. This feels like leftover/rehashing for a quick buck. Having it for free on streaming platforms doesn't absolve it because that is just natural and counts for ALL music releases.

It just leaves a slightly sour taste, that's all.

And just to be clear: I critizised many LP releases in the past, too. Having special editions for 100s of dollars felt excessive at times. This is no "my team is better than yours" kind of stuff. We should be better than that ;).

Edited by Trumtram

51 minutes ago, Trumtram said:

Comparing this to the HT20 set doesn't work (whataboutism in general is no answer). Much of the contents were out beforehand, yes, but most of it was LPU stuff which was never officially available to the wider public. Plus it was a celebration for the original album with new unseen DVDs, a couple new demos, first time LP release of HTEP etc.

With "Stripped" I find it irritating to release some of these versions on different releases for "Amends" (or even in the 90s) and then make an EP from those. Of course with limited vinyl stuff and everything. "Amends" was crazy in this regard but at least it was a special release, so I could see past that. This feels like leftover/rehashing for a quick buck. Having it for free on streaming platforms doesn't absolve it because that is just natural and counts for ALL music releases.

It just leaves a slightly sour taste, that's all.

And just to be clear: I critizised many LP releases in the past, too. Having special editions for 100s of dollars felt excessive at times. This is no "my team is better than yours" kind of stuff. We should be better than that ;).

It’s absolutely not a “my team vs yours”, I don’t think HT20 was a cash grab at all, but as much as I don’t think that, I personally don’t feel irritated by Grey Daze releasing the stripped songs as a separate thing from Amends, it just felt so natural to me for those 5 songs to have their own stripped versions, even tho they are not 100% new. Also, if rehashing some already released songs was an excuse to give us that amazing YT video with the artist accompaning the songs and a way to get stripped/acoustic versions of those songs on Spotify, that’s a really good excuse. Personally I wish they released the EP on CD too, but that’s just me 100% loving the project 😀

1 hour ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

Those tracks were Japanese bonus editions exclusives, Shouting Out has a totally different vocal take, and the album comes out as a super limited vynil and for free on streaming platforms... Don’t get the cash grab. It’s not that different from releasing HT20 Boxset with 90% of the content included being already out there for decades. 
Just my opinion 

No, they weren't exclusive to Japan. They were all released in the US and at least 2 out of the 3 acoustic tracks were released in Europe and Japan too. Grey Daze just didn't sell them in the official stores. The reason for that is they wanted to make as many versions of the album as possible so crazy collectors and completists would buy more. That's how the business work. Then not long after the album came out they released an EP (3 more vinyls, mind you) with those tracks that were supposed to be exclusives to certain stores. That's a really dick move at minimum. To answer your earlier question in this thread, The Down Syndrome, Shouting Out and Sometimes already existed in acoustic versions in the 90s. The other two were made entirely (I mean, except for the vocals, obviously) for Amends.

1 hour ago, lpliveusername said:

No, they weren't exclusive to Japan. They were all released in the US and at least 2 out of the 3 acoustic tracks were released in Europe and Japan too. Grey Daze just didn't sell them in the official stores. The reason for that is they wanted to make as many versions of the album as possible so crazy collectors and completists would buy more. That's how the business work. Then not long after the album came out they released an EP (3 more vinyls, mind you) with those tracks that were supposed to be exclusives to certain stores. That's a really dick move at minimum. To answer your earlier question in this thread, The Down Syndrome, Shouting Out and Sometimes already existed in acoustic versions in the 90s. The other two were made entirely (I mean, except for the vocals, obviously) for Amends.

Really don’t get the dick move but again, ok. Releasing HQ versions of already existing tracks (exactly the same of HT20) is a dick move...ok 

Soul Song is the same vocal take IMO. It is a mastered version on Amends... Stripped. The bonus track is not mastered and you can hear the crackling in the vocal track way down in the mix. Everything is mastered professionally on Stripped.

The band said they wanted to release acoustic versions of these songs when they were making Amends. What you guys appear to be arguing about is - should they have released all of these different editions and bonus tracks for these many versions of Amends, when they were already planning on releasing the acoustic songs in their own release? Remember the idea did not come *after* Amends, it came *during* it. They didn't say, "oh well we sold a trillion versions of Amends, now let's take the bonus tracks and make our own thing." The band chose to release some of the tracks though on Amends bonus versions... that's really up to you guys to discuss whether you think that's right or wrong.

There's really no comparable situation with LP, because LP never released for example all of the MTM b-sides in one EP or vinyl (No Roads Left, Across the Line, What We Don't Know, Blackbirds, Chance of Rain, Pretend to Be, maybe Ammosick). Although we would have gladly eaten that up, lol

2 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

Soul Song is the same vocal take IMO. It is a mastered version on Amends... Stripped. The bonus track is not mastered and you can hear the crackling in the vocal track way down in the mix. Everything is mastered professionally on Stripped.

The band said they wanted to release acoustic versions of these songs when they were making Amends. What you guys appear to be arguing about is - should they have released all of these different editions and bonus tracks for these many versions of Amends, when they were already planning on releasing the acoustic songs in their own release? Remember the idea did not come *after* Amends, it came *during* it. They didn't say, "oh well we sold a trillion versions of Amends, now let's take the bonus tracks and make our own thing." The band chose to release some of the tracks though on Amends bonus versions... that's really up to you guys to discuss whether you think that's right or wrong.

There's really no comparable situation with LP, because LP never released for example all of the MTM b-sides in one EP or vinyl (No Roads Left, Across the Line, What We Don't Know, Blackbirds, Chance of Rain, Pretend to Be, maybe Ammosick). Although we would have gladly eaten that up, lol

Totally makes sense to me to get the songs “naked” and wanting to create stripped down versions while they were creating Amends. 
I’ve never compared it to LP albums, it’s a different situation mainly because these tracks literally scream to get acoustic versions IMO 😊

17 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

Then not long after the album came out they released an EP (3 more vinyls, mind you)

What? :D

Oh boy... Well, yeah. That seems a tiny bit excessive.

16 hours ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

Releasing HQ versions of already existing tracks (exactly the same of HT20) is a dick move...ok 

Once again, comparing it to HT20 doesn't add up for a variety of reasons and is useless whataboutism.

Anyway. Let's see what they come up with when "Amends II" drops...

20 minutes ago, Trumtram said:

What? :D

Oh boy... Well, yeah. That seems a tiny bit excessive.

Once again, comparing it to HT20 doesn't add up for a variety of reasons and is useless whataboutism.

Anyway. Let's see what they come up with when "Amends II" drops...

It’s coming out this year

On 2/2/2021 at 10:29 PM, LPLStaff said:

https://www.google.it/amp/s/music.mxdwn.com/2021/02/06/reviews/album-review-grey-daze-amends-stripped-ep/amp/
here it says that the only untouched song is “Syndrome” 

• 2 months later...