Mike Shinoda - "Sleep For Students" Release

LPLStaff

Mike has released his new "Sleep For Students" compilation, of thirty separate tracks. Created on August 28th, 2020, Mike took a fan suggestion on Twitch to create a long and relaxing "sleepy time" track. Reminiscent of "Ghosts" by Nine Inch Nails, or even Mike's "Minutes to Midnight" website clips, the tracks are fully instrumental and weave in and out of different ambient sounds Mike has created.

Mike said on September 9th,  "Yeah we're working on it, I don't have definitive news yet. But Sleepy Jam is on the horizon, I want to get it out as quickly as possible so you guys can start using it for your sleepy time music. Remember if I told you if I put it on streaming services that it'd make royalties when you listen to it? My concept is actually, I have a scholarship at ArtCenter College of Design that I funded forever ago, and I realized, 'Ah I'd really love to do something with the income from the Sleepy Time Jam that's really cool.' I want to try to send those royalties there, I want it to help fund the scholarship. When you are doing something like that, if I donate it from my royalty income, it gets taxed on the way to me and then I can donate my portion to the school. So I'm like, 'Is there a way I can do it where just donate the album itself to the school?' So if it makes $1,000, then the thousand dollars is taxed and then a portion of a thousand dollars goes to the scholarship. So I'd rather the whole thing go, if it's possible. My scholarship at ArtCenter, it's big enough for a graphics or illustration student based on financial need and merit. So they have to be really good and they have to need the money, and they need help going to school. So we'll figure it out, that's why it's taking an extra second. We aren't going to just put it up on SoundCloud or let you download the thing, I want to do something like that with it. It's complicated enough... the government doesn't want you to use charitable donation as like a tax loophole basically. So you've gotta do it the proper, legal way and I'm not super educated on how that works so we’re figuring it out. So that'll be that with the Sleepy Time Jam."

Later in September about the album cover, he said, "I started it black and white, and then I added a little textures on the edges, and then I started just lightning and coloring it, so I wanted it to be more sleepy and chill. Yeah, I like it, it came out pretty good."

The album can be purchased at AcousticSounds.com.

On 11/29/2020 at 5:39 PM, LPsMart said:

does this mean no Spotify release on this?

It will be. It was scheduled for a release, but they decided to postpone it. It appeared on AcousticSounds.com by a mistake.

Right now we don't know if the idea of "income for scholarship at ArtCenter College of Design" will happen. EDIT: it will happen, Mike just confirmed it.

Edited by martinez

On 11/29/2020 at 7:36 PM, martinez said:

It will be. It was scheduled for a release, but they decided to postpone it. It appeared on AcousticSounds.com by a mistake.

Right now we don't know if the idea of "income for scholarship at ArtCenter College of Design" will happen.

So even the AcousticSounds release is not supporting the scholarship?

On 12/1/2020 at 3:36 PM, PizzaPino said:

So even the AcousticSounds release is not supporting the scholarship?

It is supporting.

On today's live stream Mike asked fans about what the name he should use for the album. That was probably the reason why it was postponed.

Edited by martinez

• 2 years later...