Mike Interviews Ryu Of SOB

LPxDC

I decided to try something new here at mikeshinoda.com...an interview! I got to sit on the other side of the table for once, and put a few (hopefully thoughtful) questions to RYU of STYLES OF BEYOND. Besides getting their album RESEDA BEACH ready for release, he's been working on a truckload of amazing new music, sitting in the studio with Dre's peeps, and starting a brand new group. Here's what the man had to say...

M: You're the first interview I've done for this site. Thanks for taking a minute.

R: im fucking honored. your welcome, and thank you. i have alot more minutes than you do. So maybe i should be thanking you for asking the questions. anyways..what's good pimp sauce!

M: I posted a little while ago about an incredible track you did called "My Little Razor Blade." Tell us about that track.

R: we heard the original track by the Knife and loved it, so we did some hip hop magic and reworked it. that song has a certain emotion in the beat that is hard to capture in hip hop music. we actually have a new Get busy song called "shoot me up" that captures that same feel. maybe even better. Scoop killed it on the beat. cant wait to put my verse on that. i'll send it to you when its done

Read the rest of the interview HERE.

Thoughts?

So..basically Tak is mad at Mike, but the rest of SOB isn't? And that's pretty cool that they will be releasing Reseda Beach on iTunes, I will buy it if they do. However, I won't be surprised if they never release it seeing as how Tak pretty much has a fuck SOB and the members attitude. I like how Ryu thanks Mike for helping them be able to release Reseda Beach elsewhere, not on Warner.

Following up on Tak's interview, this makes me feel even less sorry for him.

Ryu even says that Warner would have released the record, just with a very small budget. And when you think about it that makes complete sense. Not a whole lot of people listen to SoB, even in the hip-hop world they aren't a very popular group.

So basically they were hoping Mike could have gotten Warner to put more money into Reseda Beach? That would have been kind of a dumb reason for Mike to get into a dispute with his record label. Tak needs to get over it.

Ryu thanked Mike for helping them leave Warner and get the rights to the album. Very classy of him. Definitely looking forward to buying the album.

Edited by Xero21

In all honesty, mike did all he could, i'm positive. Tak expected Mike could pull whatever strings just because his band is like Warner's number one band they have. But from a monetary standpoint, S.O.B isn't worth a whole lot. And that's just the reality of the situation sadly.

Yeah this is probably due to the Tak interview and mike's overall response to what I said on his blog lol. Anyways it's good to know mike indeed helped out sob; I'm looking forward to reseda beach and the get busy commitee projects.

Edited by spraypaintninkpens

I think it is Mike's response to Tak couple days ago.

Well, Ryu is a really nice guy and being really professional.

It sounds like SOB will break up eventually. Members don't see each other.......

It's not a good sign. I won't be suprised if the album won't come out.

Edited by chazmike

I don't think you'll have to worry about Reseda Beach being shelved.

I know it's been pushed back like crazy, but the ball's started rolling, and even if it's just an iTunes release, I'm confident it will get released.

I don't think you'll have to worry about Reseda Beach being shelved.

I know it's been pushed back like crazy, but the ball's started rolling, and even if it's just an iTunes release, I'm confident it will get released.

Some of us would like an actual CD though... Took me awhile to track down the other two, I'd like to have the trilogy. ;)

Some of us would like an actual CD though... Took me awhile to track down the other two, I'd like to have the trilogy. ;)

+2, This.

Its hard finding SOB cd's. Like walking into the store. I love Be Your Dog, nice beat.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I prefer CD over digital-only 100%.

I definitely want a proper CD release myself, but I'm just saying, if physical CD distribution is out of the question for whatever reason, I'm sure it will be available in some fashion, the easiest of which would be a digital release.

EDIT:

On the same subject, I asked RYU is a vinyl release will happen, and he said it wasn't likely, due to it being expensive to press up vinyl.

Edited by JaySinkie

Oh, don't get me wrong, I prefer CD over digital-only 100%.

I definitely want a proper CD release myself, but I'm just saying, if physical CD distribution is out of the question for whatever reason, I'm sure it will be available in some fashion, the easiest of which would be a digital release.

Ryu said that they're planning on pressing CDs, but my fear is that people like... well, us... will be outbidding each other and driving up the price if one happens to pop up on eBay. I'm fairly certain that a limited pressing of the CDs will have no problem selling out in pretty short order, mostly due to the vultures who will jump in and try to make a profit off of the secondary market on eBay.

Ryu said that they're planning on pressing CDs, but my fear is that people like... well, us... will be outbidding each other and driving up the price if one happens to pop up on eBay. I'm fairly certain that a limited pressing of the CDs will have no problem selling out in pretty short order, mostly due to the vultures who will jump in and try to make a profit off of the secondary market on eBay.

He did say that, and not that I have any reason to doubt RYU, I'm just thinking worst-case-scenario on that front.

I also asked if a run of vinyl was possible, but with the expense it would require, that's not likely.

RYU said maybe a small Japan-only pressing of vinyls will happen, I can only assume because a Japan-only pressing would be a lot cheaper than a U.S or UK pressing.