Mike/SOB/Welcome/FM

hahninator

https://old.reddit.com/r/LinkinPark/comments/g5imni/ryu_on_fort_minor/

Someone asked about this on Facebook so I'll copy/paste my reply here. If I left anything out let me know.

The question was: "Ryu said ‘’ the mixtape was better anyways!’’ when he discussed Fort Minor’s album The Rising Tied. He also discussed how he never received royalties for being on the album. Why did he say these things? Does he not like Mike or the album anymore? Does anyone know?"

My reply: "Ryu has been vocal on Facebook recently about these topics, which is the source of the OP's comments. My understanding of it is Mike would of course pay SOB (and other guests) for the guest spots on the album but then they don't get paid consecutively after it if any of the songs go on and end up doing well. Basically you aren't paid twice for the same song. Well it turns out Remember the Name ended up exploding, and yeah they are a bit disappointed the song is MASSIVE and they never saw an increase in money from that. Just depends how they set up the agreement back in 2005. You could of course also blame them for that themselves if they weren't smart enough to negotiate a better deal. Anyway these comments are public on Ryu's Facebook if you want to go read them.

Next, Ryu said he wants an award for Remember the Name doing so well. It sold whatever the number is to get an award. Basically it boiled down to Mike could "push it through if he wanted to" but they said Mike has so many awards he doesn't know what to do with so he'd have no real incentive to get ANOTHER one made. Ha. LP's former manager Rob McDermott is even on the thread commenting saying he wants one too. Wild. Some of the comments trash Mike but Ryu and Rob never do that, they just want awards made (+ money). Ryu has made similar threads like this over the years.

Lastly, there was not a huge fall out but there was of course drama around the "Welcome" song in 2015 with Fort Minor. Ryu recorded a verse, thought he was going to be on the song, and it would be released as Fort Minor and he would be involved in the reunion. Mike ended up cutting the verse without telling him, then later told Ryu it would be on a remix of the song that ended up not coming out as we all know. Ryu was also there for the art mural/music video filming for the song too so understandable he thought he was fully involved in everything. Kind of sucks for him in that regard since on Recharged he dropped the line saying he wanted to do a "Fort Minor part 2" in his verse. http://linkinpedia.com/index.php?title=Welcome

And if Ryu/SOB were not on the Fort Minor comeback in 2015 or the Fort Minor comeback in 2017 that was planned (Lift Off, IOU, etc before Chester passed away), I wouldn't hold your breath for Mike making music with them again. All signs right now point to Mike working with Linkin Park as Phoenix just said they have been writing music.

Mike has not been close to Tak since 2007~ish I think, I mean Tak thoroughly destroyed Mike on social media for months before he disappeared online. He and SOB were very hostile about the situation with Warner Bros... Mike signed them to Machine Shop to get the Styles of Beyond album released, Warner shelved it, Ryu said Mike was too busy on an LP world tour (Minutes to Midnight) to pay attention and get it resolved for them, and then Mike had to successfully negotiate with the label to get Styles released from under the grasp of Warner. What a mess. The album came out much later of course but the damage was done. Listen to "I Did It to Myself", the solo song by Ryu, where he talks about it. And of course WBR cashed in on "Second to None" featuring Mike that was on the Transformers soundtrack but wouldn't let the album come out. Ouch. I bet it ruined any shot of Mike considering them all a part of Fort Minor in the future due to the big mess it caused, but that's just speculation.

If I forgot anything someone feel free to add more info."

It seems like since the beginning the association of Mike with SOB has resulted in nothing but miscommunications, misinterpretations, and straight up bad luck. It’s a pretty classic example of business messing up a personal friendship.

Side note: Didn’t Tak also go off on you and curse you out and stuff? I don’t remember the context or when it happened, but I remember something like that happening some point.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

It seems like since the beginning the association of Mike with SOB has resulted in nothing but miscommunications, misinterpretations, and straight up bad luck. It’s a pretty classic example of business messing up a personal friendship.

Side note: Didn’t Tak also go off on you and curse you out and stuff? I don’t remember the context or when it happened, but I remember something like that happening some point.

Yeah, like over 10 years ago. Maybe 2009 he did that on Twitter. Don't have screenshots of that. It happens, not everyone will see things the same. We're just fans and he knew Mike personally so obviously he has a huge leg up on knowing what the deal is. SOB definitely had a reason to be upset that things didn't work out on Machine Shop but I have always thought blaming Mike for some of their problems hasn't been the best move.

I mean I've heard them out and I can see the logic they're using in order to blame Mike for everything, I just don't agree with it. Like the 2007 stuff, where they said Mike was "too busy on a world tour" to help with their label dispute. That was said in like a sarcastic, snarky way, but really what was he supposed to do? Fly home and put LP on hold in the middle of the MTM cycle until SOB's situation was resolved? Mike got their foot in the door, the rest was always going to be up to them as unfortunate as it was. LP and WB haven't exactly always been on the same page themselves.

The Welcome situation, I do think Mike should have told Ryu his verse wasn't going on the album version. If it really went down that way, with Ryu recording a verse and being there for the video shoot, I can see him being upset about that all getting cut without his knowledge. As far as being mad about not going out on tour in 2015, though, and saying things like "Wow, I guess Fort Minor is just one guy now".... Yeah. Fort Minor has always been one guy. That's why all the songs SOB were on are credited as features.

The platinum plaque situation for RTN is just ridiculously petty. As if Mike could make it all happen with one phone call, but he has so many platinum plaques he can't be bothered to do it. Like it would be the most prized possession for Ryu, but for Mike it's just another day, and he has so little empathy for any of his collaborators on that song that he doesn't care at all. Lmao. Give me a break.

Edited by Justin

Any of you guys familiar with The Witcher Game? And that it's based on a book by Sapkowski who was stupid enough to decline an offer from game developers which stated that he will be paid a percentage off copies sold worldwide. He declined that and  wanted 35 000 zlotys -> about 7K USD. Yes, he thoguht the game won't be a hit. Also he was greedy. Well, they signed an agreement on basically his terms. Guess what 🤣 The game was a huge success, sequels are a massive success til today and guess what again, he was bitching he got not enough money! Hhahaha that's right folks, agreement was on his terms, hge agreed to everything and when the game made 1 BILLION zlotys (yest one fin billion back in the day). There is a plot twist. Project Red - game developers were kind enough to come forward and propose a settlement (of course they didn't have to) so Sapkowski could get some extra money. Case closed. Similar thing.

I'm not saying Ryu/SOB f-off but things like that are stupid enough to not see the daylight in public, yet the started bitching about it on forums/tiwtter/whatever platform. Kinda childish. Also to blame Mike for everything? Shit, they must have forgotten (from the top to the bottom lol) Mike is in LP and as much as it sounds kinda off, this is his priority. Well they're adults too so can;t imagine they couldn't work out something "on the fly" Yet, on other hand it's kinda sad it ended that way, not to mention what Mike pulled off with Welcome (like I'd love to get a f-in clarification from Mike to finally end this fan dispute over a song..)

1 hour ago, colinreid said:

So I guess this is why Fort Minor might not come back again. Im happy with solo MS music anyway 

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Fort Minor was indeed going to come back before Chester died. I.O.U. and Lift Off were recorded for a Fort Minor project originally, and there probably would have been a Fort Minor album/tour sometime after the OML tour ended. The format itself probably would have been very similar to what we got on the PT tour.

Of course after 7/20 everything changed. Mike recorded/released PT and toured under his real name instead of Fort Minor because the subject matter was a lot more personal.

2 hours ago, Justin said:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Fort Minor was indeed going to come back before Chester died. I.O.U. and Lift Off were recorded for a Fort Minor project originally, and there probably would have been a Fort Minor album/tour sometime after the OML tour ended. The format itself probably would have been very similar to what we got on the PT tour.

Of course after 7/20 everything changed. Mike recorded/released PT and toured under his real name instead of Fort Minor because the subject matter was a lot more personal.

He said himself he wanted to release PT under his name not under Fort Minor cause he felt it was more personal. 

Yeah. He said in PT Tour interviews he had presented LP with the songs to release under Fort Minor and LP was good with it all, and he was going to release “several” songs in fall 2017. Definitely Lift Off was one but IOU could have been another. He’s spoken about this 2-3 times.