''B-Sides''

Garret

I know that the technical term for b-side doesn't mean what LP fans think it means. However, most people in the hardcore LP fanbase will know what I'm talking about. This thread will be used to discuss all b-sides from each of the main 7 albums by LP. Demos and B-Sides are not the same thing, that is something to be noted. I do not count songs such as My December or New Divide because they were never really intended for an album, as My December was done for a KROQ charity album and New Divide was done for Transformers 2. All other songs like this won't be listed, so if you're wondering, that's why, such as songs like We Made It, Darker Than Blood/A Light That Never Comes, Things In My Jeep, etc. I also do not consider these the only b-sides for each album because obviously we don't know a lot of them since they were never released with LPU or we simply haven't been revealed the info by the band. Anyways, here is what I think:

Hybrid Theory

High Voltage: I'm not talking about the HTEP version here. I'm talking about the 2000 reprise or whatever else fans have dubbed it over the years. Most people have discovered that the outro to CFTI transitions into the beginning of this song. That is the number one reason why I listed it. And also because I don't consider it a ''remix'' or a ''reprise'' at all, I think it was worked on for HT and re-done just like many demos that the band have done over the years and it ended up not making the cut of the final album. It was also played at many shows over 2001, etc.

And One: I list And One even though we do not have the final version of the song, IMO. I think the final version of the song featured the outro that we have seen the band play live throughout 2000-2001 and some of 2002. They have played it ever since the first known recording of the band that we have, which is months before HT even came out. Plus, it was done every single time that the song was performed. I know that the version of the song  that appeared on all the HT demo discs remained unchanged in terms of structure but I think a farther along version of the song was done for the album that we don't have.

Carousel: The song appeared on many of the HT demo CD's from early 2000 and the song was different from the HTEP version, obviously. I think it's safe to say that it remained in discussion for the album since it made it to the 2000 sessions while songs like Technique, Step Up and the original version of High Voltage all did not appear on HT demo discs, even including the ''1999'' versions of Step Up on a few releases from LP in 2001, etc. 

Part Of Me: The same situation as Carousel.

She Couldn't: This song only appeared on one of the HT demo CD's but that CD hailed from 2000 but I think it's safe to say that the song was considered for inclusion on the album and it made it over a lot of other songs from 1999, etc. Perhaps when recording the album, at the time that the demo CD came out or after, it was revealed to the band that they would have to clear the sample, so they didn't end up including it. Mike even seemed to remember the song upon being asked about it when it leaked in 2009 which is rare for him since he always forgets old demos and stuff. I think it was considered for the album.

Slip: I think it was considered for the album because it was seen being rehearsed during the Lockout series which was from February of 2000, dating even farther along than the demo CD's for the album. Mike also said in the LPU11 notes that they tried various versions of the song but ultimately did not release it. The Lockout version is also different and seems like a more polished version of the song, such as the live version of And One with the extra ending, so I also consider that as proof.

Meteora

''Pride'': I don't know if Pride is the official title of this song or not but I have seen a few fans refer to it as such. This is the song heard during the Making Of Meteora and during LPTV. The thoughts that  take away my pride song. I think the fact that we were shown a lyric sheet, it was seen being recorded with complete lyrics during the DVD and that the instrumental version of the song was used during LPTV is good proof that it was cut from the album and made it farther than a lot of other songs. During this era of the band, the band added vocals last, especially full lyrics. That's also another reason why I consider it.  Supposedly, 15 songs were recorded for Meteora. 13 songs appeared on the album, leaving there 2 songs left, I think Pride was obviously one and the other is unknown at this time. I don't think A.06 is it but you never know, maybe the version that had vocals was fully completed and not released. It is strange that they included A.06 on LPU2 if it was just a random instrumental that never made the cut, and they even played it live a couple times. The LPU9 version sounds like the other Meteora demos that were instrumentals so the fact that a more fleshed out short version was released on LPU2 is interesting, especially since the band didn't really release demos like that back in 2002. However, I still think a completely different fully completed song is what we are missing.

Minutes To Midnight

No Roads Left: We know 17 songs were recorded for the album. This song first appeared to us as a bonus track for the album the day that the album was released in 2007. Not much more to say other than the fact that we know this is a b-side. Mixed by Neal.

Across The Line: Mike said that this was the last song cut from the album. Safe to say it was a b-side, not much more to say here. Mixed by Neal.

What We Don't Know: The song was mixed by Neal and is labeled as a 2007 demo so no question from me here.

Blackbirds: This song was shown on the making of MTM DVD and it was referred to as the 6th string song by the fans for years. 6 songs for the album had strings recorded for them at the very end of the process which means that this song made it far enough along to be cut last minute. I also think the fact that it was shown on the DVD and sounded the same is a reason why it's obvious that this song is a b-side. It's never been confirmed that Neal mixed this song but that doesn't mean all that much because he very well could have and we don't know since this song had a weird release and also because it's possible that we received a version of the song literally right before Neal mixed it, something akin to the Studio Finals for HT.

I don't think that we have the 17th song for MTM yet and the identity of the song is still unknown. This is my opinion. I know many fans think it was The Last Line because it was mixed by Neal, however, Neal also mixed ATS and the song was shown on the MTM DVD as Ammosick, it's demo title, while the song was shown during the ATS period during an LPTV episode showing the title The Last Line, I think the mix we got is the final version Neal did for ATS. I also do not think it was Chance Of Rain, but out of all the other complete MTM songs, I think that one is the most likely bet since Mike said it just barely made the cut for the album, and also because Mike said that the final title for the song was Voices, it's possible that this was the song and we received a pre-final mix of the song, something akin to the David Kahne mix of OSC or the Studio Finals for HT. But I do not think it was the song still. Pretend To Be and Not Alone were not done at the period of early 2007 so I don't consider those, as they were completed later on after later work was done. Qwerty, which many people think is a b-side for the album, isn't IMO. The fact it was released to us on LPU 6 speaks volumes to me. I know that directly after the tour, the band said that the song was being worked on still, but that it likely would not make the album. Then it appeared on LPU6 which was recorded at least a few months before December of 2006. I think it's safe to say that the band decided to not include it on the album. The reason it was played in 2007 IMO is because it became a huge fan favorite ever since it was played in 2006, and that was the reason. It was rarely played in 2007 and never returned after PR07 except for the medley with Victimized in 2012/2013.

A Thousand Suns

The Last Line: I said above that this song was originally shown by it's demo title of Ammosick on the MTM DVD. However, during the Iridescent LPTV episode, the title was shown again, with ''The Last Line'' shown next to it, which to me, means that the song was worked on further for ATS and the version that we got with MALL is the ATS b-side version, since it was mixed by Neal who also mixed ATS, not only MTM. 

Obviously, I think more b-sides for this album exist, however, I don't think we know of any by their title at the moment since it has never been revealed to us. But there have to be a few songs at least, IMO. Again, New Divide, while worked on during the ATS sessions, was written for Transformers 2 and I highly doubt it was ever considered for a slot on the album, I'm almost positive.

LIVING THINGS

Devil's Drop: The demo titled for this song, Warm Spell, was shown on a board of song titles during LPTV for LT. It has fully fleshed out lyrics and seems like a true b-side to me, it definitely made it farther in the process than a lot of songs since it was shown on a board with only other songs that made the album. Not much more to say, IMO.

I don't think we know of any b-sides yet for this album. Some people say a song like Animals, but it was never fully completed and is just a demo, IMO. Others also say It Goes Through but what many fans don't know is that the song was created during the 2013 writing sessions, the very early sessions for THP, before the album became rock oriented, the ''pop'' album that the band was making. I know it appeared on HPOATT but so didn't Recharged remixes from 2013 and Auckland 2013 and a bunch of other stuff from 2013 on the LT disc. LT sessions were from 2011 to about April 2012. I don't consider those 2013 writing sessions b-sides for THP either because they were kind of in between albums and were scrapped totally. Another song from these sessions was World's On Fire, released on Post Traumatic in 2018. However, since Mike finished the song in 2017/2018, I don't consider it a b-side for LT or THP, even though the song originally started in 2013.

The Hunting Party

I'm not sure if I consider White Noise a b-side for the album. I know it was shown on a lyric sheet during LPTV for THP, but the band was also working on MALL at the same exact time. Fiore could have easily captured them one day working on the song and just lumped it in. Even though the song has a heavy sound with screaming, I think it sounds different from THP, it sounds more like Victimized, with the heavy industrial electro beat and screaming. I also think that Joe once said that the song was made specifically for MALL and was the only song that was, but I could be wrong. Either way, it doesn't sound like THP to me and there isn't enough evidence to me to confirm it as a b-side for the album. I could be wrong but this is what I think. I don't think we currently know of any b-sides as of now for the album, no titles have ever been revealed and stuff like Apes and Control were probably early demos since they seem as such. I bet there are at least 2 or 3 songs that didn't make the cut for THP. One of which I think is shown during the same trailer that White Noise is shown. Chester is shown recording heavy sounding vocals for an unknown song towards the beginning. Doesn't sound like a demo of any of the 12 songs on the album but who knows for sure.

One More Light

Friendly Fire: The song title was shown on a board alongside songs that made the album, I think it's safe to say that the album made it far in the process and was likely cut last minute.

Out Of Reach: Same as Friendly Fire, IMO.

I don't consider WAYW as a true b-side since it was added to BMI in early 2016 and was never shown on any demo boards for OML at the end of the process or anything. I don't even think it was ever worked on further from the point that it was added to BMI, which is kind of obvious, same as Ricochet. Place To Start and Make It Up As I Go obviously were not completed at the time that OML was recorded for release so I don't count those, Mike has also said that about those songs too. Waiting For Tomorrow was recorded likely in 2015 and given to Martin for his solo album that was supposed to come out in 2016. The song eventually came out in 2018 but I think something happened with the labels maybe that restricted it from dropping years back, he even had single art done for it back in 2016 and played it in 2016. Mike also said that the band worked on with him early on and abandoned it at some point in the process. Brad said in 2017 that they had about 5 songs from OML that were fully done and that didn't make the cut so I think 2 of those are the songs I listed as b-sides and we probably don't know about the other 3.

Edited by Garret

I feel that Pride ended up beign in the same situation like Across The Line, totally finished song that just got cut from the album.

It such a shame that it never got released it would have fit perfectly on LPU9

26 minutes ago, Diaux said:

I feel that Pride ended up beign in the same situation like Across The Line, totally finished song that just got cut from the album.

It such a shame that it never got released it would have fit perfectly on LPU9

Yeah I wish we got it through LPU at some point. Sucks we never did... I still have small hope that we will get the complete song someday but yet a lot of fans never talk about it. I don’t think Mike or anyone has ever even been properly asked about it still! Now in 2020 and with Chester gone I don’t think we have much hope but you never know.  I can’t believe that not a lot of fans have obsessed over it. To me, it’s something way better than like Pictureboard.

Edited by Garret

6 hours ago, Garret said:
6 hours ago, Garret said:

I bet there are at least 2 or 3 songs that didn't make the cut for THP. One of which I think is shown during the same trailer that White Noise is shown. Chester is shown recording heavy sounding vocals for an unknown song towards the beginning. Doesn't sound like a demo of any of the 12 songs on the album but who knows for sure.

Can you send me the link on video where Chester is recording vocals?

We need more acoustic/folk tracks from the band in the vein of Devil's Drop, Primo, Three Band Terror, Final Masquerade (acoustic), The Messenger and Sharp Edges. I would love to see that as a direction for them to explore more hopefully in the future. 

1 hour ago, RYG4R said:

We need more acoustic/folk tracks from the band in the vein of Devil's Drop, Primo, Three Band Terror, Final Masquerade (acoustic), The Messenger and Sharp Edges. I would love to see that as a direction for them to explore more hopefully in the future. 

There were probably a bunch during the LT era that never made the cut. They were experimenting with tons of folk stuff and even were listening to the Smithsonian folk soundtrack at one point for inspiration. Supposedly, COG, RU and STB were all folk songs originally, too.

43 minutes ago, Garret said:

There were probably a bunch during the LT era that never made the cut. They were experimenting with tons of folk stuff and even were listening to the Smithsonian folk soundtrack at one point for inspiration. Supposedly, COG, RU and STB were all folk songs originally, too.

Would love to hear the original demo of Castle of Glass.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:28 PM, Garret said:

This makes so much sense. When I first heard all three of those songs my first thought was "holy shit this is folk music, LP-style." They've always been strong lyrically, but the particularly simple depth of the lyrics here along with the melodies of the vocals immediately gives off a folksy vibe.

8 hours ago, OKCrew said:

This makes so much sense. When I first heard all three of those songs my first thought was "holy shit this is folk music, LP-style." They've always been strong lyrically, but the particularly simple depth of the lyrics here along with the melodies of the vocals immediately gives off a folksy vibe.

Yeah it’s super interesting. It’s cool you could hear the folk influence in them when you heard them. Chester said about Skin To Bone that it ‘’started off as a hippie folk song’’. And I remember the band also saying that COG and RU also took big inspiration from folk. LT is a very interesting album that is always overlooked by fans. It has tons of scrapped ATS ideas turned into full songs (they basically become their own songs not even really compatible to the ATS ideas so you almost can’t even really call them ATS ideas even though they kind of are.) It has big electronic sound, then some folk sound mixed in on a few tracks, a bizarre combo. Then you have songs with rapping, screaming, mid tempo type stuff. It’s a really experimental album actually. It’s not ATS but it’s up there as one of their most experimental efforts ever, probably right behind ATS honestly, it’s just different in terms of experimentation. A song like UIB is super creative, like I’m surprised they even did something like that nowadays. Tinfoil into Powerless, originally being a full song, that’s one of my favorite moments on any record from LP, Powerless is one of my favorite songs of all time and a fantastic closer. Victimized is so short and jarring that it’s almost like KTTK but shorter. It also samples some guy selling bootleg merch somewhere in rural Asia outside of their show, I mean if that’s not epic, idk what is. That’s super experimental. A lot of fans don’t like it but I love it, it’s so awesome to me. Then you have huge songs like IMR, IBG, BID, that are just these fantastic big rock sounding songs that sound like anthems even though they weren’t that popular aside from BID. LITE is also a jewel in their discography. It brings back the old LP structure but done with electronics and interesting shit. It’s just a great album. And I’d love to be able to hear all the demos of the 12 songs (or 11 cuz of Tinfoil/Powerless). Three Band Terror was an amazing one to get. Holding Company was a jam. Primo is simply amazing, etc. 

Edited by Garret

Hell yeah the time sig on Powerless alone makes it a standout in their whole catalogue. What is it 7/4 on the verses? But COG stoodout like folk to me right away soon as I heard it. That main synth could have easily just been played on the E-string of a guitar, then Mike comes in with that “Take me down to the riverbeddd” folksy af! I loved Victimized too. It was sorta the precursor to THP which is one of my personal favorites.