LP updates, quotes, & more; Joe says he's "plotting" with Mike & Rob

LPLStaff

It has been a while since we've done a comprehensive update on what members of Linkin Park have said in regards to a possible future of the band, so we wanted to provide some information on what the band has been saying recently.

Yesterday, Mike, Joe, and Rob met up and Joe posted a photo to Instagram saying,  "#plotting with @m_shinoda and @robbourdon @linkinpark", but quickly removed the "#plotting" part of the message. However, that edit was only done on Instagram and the cross-post to his Facebook page remained with it intact.

Earlier this month, Phoenix talked about the band in a podcast with Riff Magazine. He said that his mindset is to respect the process they are going through right now and wants to ensure that what comes next is an organic choice. He added that he doesn't want to be retired from music at this point in his life, but he also doesn't want to rush to a decision when it comes to Linkin Park's future. He added,  “I don’t really know what we’re going to do, and how we’re going to do it. I know I still love music. I know I still love the five guys. The five of us still get together; we still hang out and we still love being around each other.”

Last month, Joe Hahn directly addressed Linkin Park in an interview with Yonhap News, saying, "Maybe in about 10 years? (Laughs) It might be sooner. I don't want to set a deadline. We just want to focus on the present and talk about music. We aren't discussing detailed plans. I just want to go back to those days when I made music in the garage."

In an interview with Sirius XM's "Volume West" in December, Phoenix elaborated on the current state of the band quite a bit, saying they all want to make music together again, and went on to thank the fanbase:

"The five of us, we still love getting a chance to hang out. We hang out quite a bit. I think we will do music again. We all want to. We all still enjoy being together and being around each other. But we have a huge process to figure out what we wanna do and what that's gonna look like. And I don't have a timetable for how long that'll take. I've never been down that road or gone through that process completely, so it's really hard to put a time or a day.

In fairness, one of the things that I think has been ridiculously cool about Linkin Park fans and our fanbase is how supportive they've been of us in that process. Social media, notoriously, can be a really negative place, and it is, like, 99.9 percent positive, what I see, from our fans just saying, 'We're here. We want to hear what you guys are doing. We want to be involved, but we get it. We want you guys also to be healthy and happy, and do what's right for you as well.' And we hear that message — we receive that, we get that from that community and from that fanbase — and it's really, really something that is special, and I can't say 'thank you' enough for that."

On the Post Traumatic World Tour in interviews, Mike reiterated the same message - they don't have answers for the future at this time, but they continue to see each other and hang out. Lastly, in January 2018, Mike mentioned the potential for a future of the band by responding to a fan on Twitter saying, "I have every intention on continuing with LP, and the guys feel the same. We have a lot of rebuilding to do, and questions to answer, so it’ll take time."

Only time will tell and we wish the band all the luck in the world in their journey to figure out their future. It's always a good sign when they post photos together, and with them already discussing publicly in 2019 that they'd like to continue making music together and talk about music, the future appears to be bright for them. While we'd all love to see Linkin Park return, we deeply respect this process and the amount of time it takes to collectively progress.

On 5/31/2019 at 2:20 PM, LPLStaff said:

I just want to go back to those days when I made music in the garage."

Oh man. I know this is a reach but the first thing that popped into my head was Xero. The community would go crazy if they did something like a small show under that name or re-recorded the four songs off the original demo. Probably won't happen but we can only dream!!! I'm so proud of these guys