Julien-K Honor Chester in "Time Capsule" Release

hahninator

Fans of Julien-K and Dead By Sunrise might be seeing the Julien-K "Time Capsule" release show up soon in their mailbox.

A retrospective look back at the career of Julien-K from 2004 to now, the release covers five full discs and dives into the full history of their music. Chester is prominently featured inside the centerfold release in the middle of a collage of photos.

jkchester.jpg

The release features demos, extra songs, unreleased songs, remixes, rough mixes, live songs, acoustic songs, and more. It is put together in an impressive packaging that really shows how much work went into the final product.

Chester is outright featured on two songs from Dead By Sunrise's Stars of the Season 2011 show in Arizona - 'I'll Try Not To Destroy You' and 'Palm Springs Reset'. In the description of disc three, Ryan Shuck says, "Stars of the Season is absolutely the most special live recording we have ever made" and says that it is he and Chester's best vocal performance together. We completely agree as the style of music of these two songs, from Julien-K's We're Here With You album, is completely different than the music Chester typically sang and he nails these versions. Both Ryan and Chester on this day deliver stellar performances, feeding off of one another as they trade lines at times and at other times as Chester hits the high notes behind Ryan. Ryan adds, "Chester was SO spot on; I remember clearly how connected I felt to him in this moment."

Fans may not know that many of the Julien-K songs were written around the time that Chester began his solo project in 2005, so while he was living with Ryan, the two of them with Amir worked on quite a bit of musical material. Chester taught Ryan how to be a better singer and actually hit higher notes, so Chester originally sang a lot of the Death To Analog demos. He even said he wanted to join Julien-K. In the booklet, Ryan says about 'Shaking', "The high vocal part in the chorus was Chester teaching me how to hit these notes! At the time I marveled at Chester as he effortlessly belted that out in full voice."

On Instagram, Julien-K shared their personal, heartfelt dedication of the Time Capsule to Chester via the Dead By Sunrise account.

The Julien-K Time Capsule spans over 80 tracks on five discs and was a smash hit on their Indiegogo campaign, raising over $50,000 for the release. Future digital versions will be released by the band, so stay tuned if you missed out on the physical product.

My name is listed on the Founders section. I like the project. Took a long time to come to fruition but I'm glad that it did. The whole part about Chester is really awesome and I respect Julien-K a lot for including it.

The pic of Chester is also cool, I remember seeing that on their website back in 2005. It was from when they were rehearsing for Let Down on REact Now in September of that year. But it's basically just Chester hanging out at Ryan's House (that's Ryan's house in the photo if people may not have known). Chester actually lived there in 2005.

Edited by Geki

so out of 60 songs there are only 2 that feature Chester?

Three. He is also rumored to be featured on the Maestro remix, but there's no confirmation from the band as far as I know. There are more tracks if you count "executive producer" as being featured, but this isn't a Chester Bennington album and was never intended to be. This is a Julien-K release for Julien-K fans. They have been working on it for about 3 years, so it was started way before Chester passed away. I personally think it's awesome they gave us so much unreleased material like that. The whole set is great and they did a really great work on the booklet. I love reading about songs I like.

Three. He is also rumored to be featured on the Maestro remix, but there's no confirmation from the band as far as I know. There are more tracks if you count "executive producer" as being featured, but this isn't a Chester Bennington album and was never intended to be. This is a Julien-K release for Julien-K fans. They have been working on it for about 3 years, so it was started way before Chester passed away. I personally think it's awesome they gave us so much unreleased material like that. The whole set is great and they did a really great work on the booklet. I love reading about songs I like.

I believe some people started to get the album no? the could give the tracklists. Yeah I mean that he has vocals on. Yeah ik its just Chester helped them a lot in many songs so I expected some more songs cause u know 60 is a big number but i can happily settle with 3 good ones :) Anyway looking forward to listen to any songs he is featured in.

I believe some people started to get the album no? the could give the tracklists.

http://lplive.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12602&page=2&do=findComment&comment=276781

The order of the tracks on the first disc was changed, but it still contains the same tracks. Nothing was changed on the other discs. The Transformers soundtrack isn't listed there because it was kind of a last minute addition due to the campaign raising more money than they needed.

Yeah I mean that he has vocals on. Yeah ik its just Chester helped them a lot in many songs so I expected some more songs cause u know 60 is a big number but i can happily settle with 3 good ones :) Anyway looking forward to listen to any songs he is featured in.

Chester was around a lot during the Death To Analog sessions. He helped creating vocals for a lot of the songs created around that time. It's possible every 2004-2009 song had Chester's hand on it somehow. He just doesn't sing on them.

I don't think Chester is actually featured on Shaking the more times that I listen to it. I think Ryan just meant that he sang it at one point and taught Ryan how to hit those notes. I'm sure there are recordings of Chester singing the DTA demos but they probably didn't want to add those. This was really for the hardcore Julien-K fans more than anything.

I believe some people started to get the album no? the could give the tracklists. Yeah I mean that he has vocals on. Yeah ik its just Chester helped them a lot in many songs so I expected some more songs cause u know 60 is a big number but i can happily settle with 3 good ones :) Anyway looking forward to listen to any songs he is featured in.

What he is featured on specifically is 2 live tracks taken from 2011. They are two Julien-K songs, Palm Springs Reset and I'll Try Not To Destroy You. He is heard singing some lines in the background on both, but Ryan still sings lead, harmonizing with Chester. He is also apparently heard on Shaking in the high parts of the chorus but I can't really hear him. He is either buried extremely low in the mix or Ryan simply meant that Chester taught him how to sing those parts in the chorus back in 2004, when the demo is labeled to be from.

Edited by Geki

I like the idea of a 60-songs Julien K compilation, but considering I m not a super huge fan to the point of buying this compilation, I ll probably purchase some tracks digitally when they ll be available on Itunes. About the very little Chester -related material, it s understandable, it s a Julien K release and started way before July 20th so no complaint ;)

I like the idea of a 60-songs Julien K compilation, but considering I m not a super huge fan to the point of buying this compilation, I ll probably purchase some tracks digitally when they ll be available on Itunes. About the very little Chester -related material, it s understandable, it s a Julien K release and started way before July 20th so no complaint ;)

Yeah, like lpliveusername pointed out originally, this is a Julien-K release, not a Chester release. And like I said, I didn't buy Time Capsule solely for the Chester features. I genuinely like Julien-K and I wanted to hear it all. I wasn't disappointed.

Edited by Geki

We know the date? cause i couldnt find something online.

"Soon."

Last chat I watched, Ryan said it would be out a couple months after the physical release, but according to Mark, Ryan said (probably in a more recent chat) it would be on Amazon in "a week or so."

"Soon."

Last chat I watched, Ryan said it would be out a couple months after the physical release, but according to Mark, Ryan said (probably in a most recent chat) it would be on Amazon in "a week or so."

It will be cool when these are on Apple Music. I love the two Chester performances. We're Here With You is my favorite Julien-K album and I love having these two performances with Chester. Even though We're Here With You is my favorite Julien-K album, Time Capsule truly shines with the DTA era stuff, though, IMO. It's cool to hear the early demos. But these two Chester performances are good and well mixed by Pooch.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How come the members of julien-k dont want to release the old dead by sunrise demos and unreleased songs? its easy nowadays to release digital music and its a lot of chester heart and soul that is just going to remain unheard.

How come the members of julien-k dont want to release the old dead by sunrise demos and unreleased songs? its easy nowadays to release digital music and its a lot of chester heart and soul that is just going to remain unheard.

Warner Bros have the last decision.

They do want to release those. Both JK and WBR are working on a release for 2019, according to Ryan. It's in the works.