LPUTV: Track by Track - Animals with Mike

RogueSoul

LPU Members, a new LPUTV episode is up featuring a track review of 'ANIMALS' from the latest LPU CD with Mike!

If you're not an LPU Member, here's a short summary of what Mike says about the song:

• Mike thinks that somehow, the song morphed into what became 'ROADS UNTRAVELED' from LIVING THINGS.
  • It goes to show how far some demos can go!
  • Mike thinks it's a cool song because of the triplet-style rapping.

As with last year, we can expect more track-by-tracks to follow for the rest of the tracks on the CD, as well as the rest of the tracks that are yet to be released throughout the year!

LPU 15 is out now and available to everyone - order your package today!

Hey guys, this is track by track with me, Mike, uh, for LPU 15 and the first track on this CD is "Animals". Something in the back of my head wants to tell me that somehow it worked itself into "Roads Untraveled". And if that's the case then you can see just how far like an original demo can go to turn into something that its completely not. It may have been just also a case where we made this song and then I liked that kind of groove of the drums and then I started a new song with that groove. It's a song that never really got finished, uh, didn't find a place on the album but we wanted to share it with you. Uh, and, uh, kind of unusual to have like that triplet feel rapping thing going on. So, yeah, "Animals".

Great, Mike sounds completely unsure that Animals is actually related to Roads Untraveled in any way, but you know people are going to take it as gospel and consider it the demo version of that song...

One of the Living Things behind the scenes videos has a part where Mike's going through numerous songs and referring to them by both their working titles and their final titles - "Battle Axe is Victimized, Holding Company is Lost in the Echo...Roads Untraveled is Roads Untraveled."

Also, samples from Animals AND Roads Untraveled were released for Stagelight, and they were labeled with separate titles. Most of the other samples from songs that made it to an album were released under their demo titles, so you'd think if there was any relationship between the two they'd have had a common title.

I know non-4/4 time signatures are uncommon for you Mike, but saying Animals is a Roads Untraveled demo is like saying From the Inside is a Roads Untraveled demo.

The first of the six demos that are going to be released is called TooLeGit (2010 demo) and it will be released on December 15th. LPU members can preview it right now (check your emails).

I didn't get an email...

Edited by Astat

Great, Mike sounds completely unsure that Animals is actually related to Roads Untraveled in any way, but you know people are going to take it as gospel and consider it the demo version of that song...

One of the Living Things behind the scenes videos has a part where Mike's going through numerous songs and referring to them by both their working titles and their final titles - "Battle Axe is Victimized, Holding Company is Lost in the Echo...Roads Untraveled is Roads Untraveled."

Also, samples from Animals AND Roads Untraveled were released for Stagelight, and they were labeled with separate titles. Most of the other samples from songs that made it to an album were released under their demo titles, so you'd think if there was any relationship between the two they'd have had a common title.

I know non-4/4 time signatures are uncommon for you Mike, but saying Animals is a Roads Untraveled demo is like saying From the Inside is a Roads Untraveled demo.

I didn't get an email...

i know lp usually wonders around 4/4 as that is the standard in western music.. i feel we will hear some weirder sound time signatures based on mike being conscious on doing new things.

Are you serious? Parts/samples of Sad are in By Myself. They are very similar at least, everyone could make that connection. No one would do the same for Animals and RU if Mike never mentioned it.

Maybe Animals was to RU what Blue was to Crawling, that's a much better example imo.

Are you serious? Parts/samples of Sad are in By Myself. They are very similar at least, everyone could make that connection. No one would do the same for Animals and RU if Mike never mentioned it.

Maybe Animals was to RU what Blue was to Crawling, that's a much better example imo.

Yes, you're rite. If Mike didn't mentioned, i guess I will not notice it. Example you gave is accurate. Blue was to Crawling. 👍🏻

As much as I can find some explanations for the "1998" demos with Chester, or for other contradictory information that was posted/said over time, this one is a bit extreme. I'll understand something like "Roads Untraveled lent some elements/ideas from Animals" from Mike, but to call it an "original demo" is just not right imo. Anyway it's just a description.