Linkin Park to play KROQ Red Bull Sound Space, June 17th

RogueSoul

LP is to play the Red Bull Sound Space on June 17, 2014 - The day of the U.S. release of THP! The event is going to be webcasted as well, so this may be the first proshot we get of some new songs!

Were stoked to announce that Linkin Park will be the next band to perform in the Red Bull Sound Space at KROQ on Tuesday, June 17th at 12pm!

Listen to KROQ all this week and be caller 20 at 800-520-1067 when you hear the cue and win access to Tuesdays show! If you dont score tickets, well be webcasting it live on KROQ.com (bookmark this link) and replaying it for 24 hours following the end of the performance.

Everyone who wins access will also score a copy of the bands new album The Hunting Party, which hits stores that same day!

Were also giving you plenty of chances to win right here on KROQ.com.

Source: KROQ

Are any members of LPLive going to try and get into the show? Who's going to watch the livestream?

Hmm I don't think they'll rehearse any other new songs for this. This is immediately after Europe. I think they'll do Wastelands, GATS, UIG and some hits.

You have a good point. I honestly completely forgot how close this date was to the end of the Euro Tour haha.

Something interesting that I'm unsure will happen though, is that bands like to take requests from fans at this show. 30 Seconds To Mars (who often takes requests, though) and I believe Avenged Sevenfold took requests for songs to be played at the show and complied. Maybe LP will do the same, it being an intimate show and all.

Just took a look - I guess it is possible they'll play a full set. I didn't know Kings Of Leon played 13 songs there. Of all the bands I have watched there via webcast, it's always between 5-7 songs. Maybe LP will get to play a full set. We will see.

Guilty All The Same

Given Up

Wastelands

Waiting For The End

Until It's Gone

In The End

Faint

Maybe something like that.

Linkin Park's performance and Q&A at KROQs Red Bull Sound Space on June 17th will be streamed live HERE at 3 PM EST / 12 PM PT.

Also, check out Mike Shinoda's interview with Radio.com

Rock music has gone this direction that's basically become like indie pop jingles. It's like songs that could be on Nickelodeon, Nick Jr. and the Disney Channel. And I feel like I can't see myself writing music like that. I don't wanna follow that trend. ... Whats going on out there in rock music, is that rock music, even the most popular ones, are not really influencing the zeitgeist. Its not moving the needle of pop culture. And I dont want rock to be pop.

Do you agree that "rock" has effectively devolved into "pop?" Who are some of your favorite "heavy" rock bands?

I think that there is a fine line between what can be called "rock" and pop," that changes throughout the years and decades. In the 80's, you might have said the difference between pop and rock would be Madonna and U2. In the 90's, you could say the fine line was between Ace of Base and Soundgarden, but ultimately it will always change. But what we can always count on is Linkin Park being the band to cross over both lines and mesh them into one big epic album that pushes both sides of the boundaries!

He's on point with that. Imo i don't hear that ballsy rock music anymore. Radio's here play the rock from the early 2000's.

But at the same time, you won't be saving rock music with just one album. (Talking about The Hunting Party)
The band is super creative with pushing boundaries, so in imo, push rock music. Push the genre.

"Its not moving the needle of pop culture. And I dont want rock to be pop."

Then what the everliving fuck was this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Things_(Linkin_Park_album)

That's one of the greatest LP albums. Just chill out with your hate on Living Things, it wasn't that bad. Just because it didn't sound like Hybrid Theory/Meteora or heavy like The Hunting Party doesn't mean it's bad. There were some good songs on Living Things, especially the second half of the album for sure. It had some pop rock sounding songs on the album, but so didn't Minutes To Midnight. The type of music that Mike is describing really does not sound anything like Living Things to me, but I guess that is just my opinion.

Just because it didn't sound like Hybrid Theory/Meteora or heavy like The Hunting Party doesn't mean it's bad. There were some good songs on Living Things, especially the second half of the album for sure. It had some pop rock sounding songs on the album, but so didn't Minutes To Midnight.

What annoys people in LT, isn't the heaviness, it's popiness. LT contains more heavy songs than ATS.

The type of music that Mike is describing really does not sound anything like Living Things to me, but I guess that is just my opinion.

Your guess is wrong! It's my opinion too :)

"Its not moving the needle of pop culture. And I dont want rock to be pop."

Then what the everliving fuck was this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Things_(Linkin_Park_album)

Well your favorite song is Powerless and it is the only pop song in the album, the rest are experimental, weird, unique and powerful songs. LT doesn't sucks.

I think name dropping Trent Reznor at the end was a smart move. Nine Inch Nails are a band who are known to have pushed boundaries in rock music. For anyone who knows Nine Inch Nails, it's not difficult to make the comparison from records like Pretty Hate Machine & The Downward Spiral to Hesitation Marks. March Of The Pigs to Came Back Haunted is a big transition. I'm not saying that an album like Hesitation Marks is a bad album, in fact I think it is a beautifully artistic album, but it is not an album that challenges the listener or pushes any sounds or ideas. It incorporates many pop and soundtrack elements.

When more and more rock bands (for example, Nine Inch Nails & Linkin Park [pre-The Hunting Party]) are incorporating the pop sound into the music, there is little music left that has excitement for rock music fans and it also leaves the radio high and dry in terms of rock music music. The only rock song featured in the New Zealand Top 40 right now is Final Masquerade, and that isn't even receiving radio play.

Personally, this is just my reading into Mike has said. I agree with him to a point, but at the same time, the world is changing. Music can exist without record labels and radio play thanks to the internet, and now the radio and record labels and holding on to each other in order to not fall apart. It is causing them to play it safe and stay away from artists that aren't producing the homogenised sound that represents the present (youth) culture. It makes sense for all parties involved and it's now up to individual artists to do as they please because they don't need record labels or the radio anymore, they can bypass the whole system and still make a living. It would be great to hear rock music in pop culture again (and I'm sure it would if the pop / rock "zeitgeist" continued), but trends come and go and right now, rock isn't a trend.

Edit: Also, I have thrown the Red Bull Sound Space in my diary. I can't wait to hopefully hear some new songs live.

Edited by ToddWilliamson

How much time thery've got to play?

I'm asking because I've seen both Blink-182 and Angels & Airwaves and they both played for 30-35 minutes.

Hope LP got much time than this, but I'm skeptical