03.08.2013 - West Hollywood, CA - SSMF

On August 3rd, Linkin Park will be returning to the stage to play their first full show since March, when they ended their LIVING THINGS Australia & New Zealand Tour. This will be the first show out of seven for the band this month, with the next six to come in Asia for the LIVING THINGS Asian Tour. Those shows kick off on the 10th and end on the 19th.

To prepare for this show, the band played an eight song rehearsal set for a KROQ winner on August 1st. Along with playing eight singles, the band put 'Reading My Eyes' into the bridge of 'Bleed It Out' for the first time since 2011 (25.06.2011 München is the last one we found). In our opinion, that was one of the best 'Bleed It Out' bridges that has been played, featuring part of 'Reading My Eyes', a drum solo and the epic 'A Place For My Head' portion all in one! Not bad!

As we mentioned in our previous preshow post about the KROQ rehearsal, the band rehearsed for three days for Sunset Strip Music Festival (July 30, 31 and August 1). This likely is too short of a period of time to work up a new song from 'LIVING THINGS', but you never know. 'LIVING THINGS' stands as the first Linkin Park album to have this many songs left off of the live setlists. 'I'LL BE GONE', 'ROADS UNTRAVELED', 'SKIN TO BONE', 'UNTIL IT BREAKS' (in full), and 'POWERLESS' have all not been played live at this point. With a new album being worked on, it's possible that these seven shows will be the last shows on the LIVING THINGS World Tour. We have heard Mike say he wanted the band to play 'UNTIL IT BREAKS' and Chester say that he wanted the band to play 'I'LL BE GONE', but it's possible that these five songs won't be attempted live. Previously, all songs from Hybrid Theory, Meteora, Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns were played live at some point with the exception of just one song - 'Robot Boy'.

This show also brings up probably the best chance we ever have of the band reviving a very old song, due to LP playing so many shows on Sunset Strip when they were a younger band. 'And One' was last played in 2002, 'Step Up' was last played in 2004 (last played in FULL in 2002), 'Reading My Eyes' was last played in 2008 (it hasn't ever been played in the USA under the name Linkin Park), and 'High Voltage' was last played in 2001. Will Linkin Park bring out an old song for SSMF? Or will they use the 'Reading My Eyes' bridge to 'Bleed It Out' as their throwback portion of the setlist?

Linkin Park will be playing the West Stage from 9:30pm-11:00pm. Playing before them will be AWOLNATION, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Finch and Street Drum Corps. As far as other parts of the festival go, Orgy mentioned that they will have a very special guest join them during their set. It's not likely, but Chester could appear since he sang 'Fiction (Dreams In Digital)' with them in 2004. What is likely, though, is Chester joining Julien-K for their set if the LPU M&G doesn't interfere with it. They could play a Dead By Sunrise song or he could just join them for a Julien-K song or two.

Who's going to the show? There will be an LPU M&G as usual at this show - did anyone get lucky enough to win their way in? And what do you think - will Linkin Park debut another song off of LIVING THINGS? Will they play an oldschool song? For this setlist, we have seen the picture that they have rehearsed Set A again (opening with 'TINFOIL'/'Faint' and closing with 'Bleed It Out'). Will they keep the standard Set A or will they change something?

The full 2013 tour schedule can be found here, as well as past setlists and upcoming tour dates.

SETLIST:

01. A Place For My Head (Long Intro; Ext. Outro)

02. Papercut

03. Given Up (Ext. Outro w/ Extra Note)

04. New Divide

05. With You (2012 Ext. Intro; Ext. Scratch Outro)

06. Somewhere I Belong (2012 Intro)

07. LIES GREED MISERY

08. Points Of Authority

09. Waiting For The End (Apaches Intro w/ 'UNTIL IT BREAKS' v20; Wall of Noise Outro)

10. Breaking The Habit

11. CASTLE OF GLASS

12. LOST IN THE ECHO

13. Numb (Outro 'Numb/Encore' Lyrics Tease (Mike/Chester))

14. What I've Done

15. BURN IT DOWN

16. In The End

17. Bleed It Out (Ext. Bridge w/ 'Reading My Eyes' v1; Ext. Outro)

18. Faint (Ext. Outro)

19. One Step Closer (Ext. Outro)

Setlist picture here.

Huge thanks to KTLA for the partial stream, Doug for the comedy and Lorenzo for stepping in BIG time and giving the rest of the setlist via Twitter for the fanbase!

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My prediction is new Set A opening with LITE and closing with OSC, with the Set B Encore (except no Papecut/LFY). Hopefully IBG, RU or POWERLESS debuts this tour and Step Up/RME is played in full. They have a day to rehearse either :lol:

Rehearsals are over and ended yesterday. They rehearsed for 3 days. They will not rehearse today.

I say that's a good assumption with LOST IN THE ECHO opening and OSC closing. I'd guess the same. Probably not a huge change in the setlist though. I think the encore will still be Set A's encore.

I don't think any new LT songs will be played. But I do think it's possible they'll do one exclusive song for this show, like Step Up. RME over BIO is a nice touch.

It's gonna be so interesting seeing Orgy and JK share the stage after all that drama, I wonder if Chester really would join Orgy given Ryan is one of his best friends (or just close friend?). As far as setlists go, I really hope that LP doesn't just throw in a verse of Reading My Eyes, I love it over BIO, but for this show it really feels like they should at least play the whole song live, if they don't bring back another tune. It's pretty simple for them to play live too aside from the fast rapping. Every fan can dream right :D

Call me cynical, I'm just used to being unsurprised :P

Interested to see if we'll ever hear/see this "reggae" BID... It was probably some sort of one off joke, but still, it'd be funny to hear!

I think they did the RME bridge just to tease it. Maybe they'll do the full version tomorrow.

Do we know how much of RME they did? Was it just the first verse like they usually do?

Edited by Soul

I think they did the RME bridge just to tease it. Maybe they'll do the full version tomorrow.

Do we know how much of RME they did? Was it just the first verse like they usually do?

No way to know unless the SSMF setlist has the same note on BIO and we are able to tell from that. No hardcore fans were at the rehearsal so they don't have any idea what RME is probably, lol, much less how much and what was done over BIO bridge.

Based on the rehearsal, LITE will probably open the set. If not,the opener is going to be TINFOIL/Faint. I think OSC will end the show no matter what is the opener. I am pretty sure Reading My Eyes will remain as a bridge on BIO, and perhaps the throwback song will be Step Up. I really hope they will debut some more songs from Living Things, when the most realistic debuts will be I'll Be Gone or Powerless.

Is POWERLESS that difficult of a song to play live? Seems like they would have already tried to play that one in my opinion.

i don't think that there are any songs that they can't play live. maybe some of them are difficult, but i think they just an excuse.

about Powerless, wait for Summer Sonic.

Edited by Skipees

but if they planned to play it as Summer Sonic surprise, they can't play it before.

But if it's already in the setlist they wouldn't just drop it. I don't think they'd save it exclusively for Japan and not play it for the rest of the tour.

But if it's already in the setlist they wouldn't just drop it. I don't think they'd save it exclusively for Japan and not play it for the rest of the tour.

i meant they will play it in the Asian tour (which Summer Sonic are the first shows), but not before. i need to be more clear next time. ;)

i meant they will play it in the Asian tour (which Summer Sonic are the first shows), but not before. i need to be more clear next time. ;)

I still don't get why you don't think they wouldn't play it tomorrow. If it's on the setlist they're playing throughout the tour, it's being played at every show. It's a 'warmup show' so I'd imagine they'd still play it.

I still don't get why you don't think they wouldn't play it tomorrow. If it's on the setlist they're playing throughout the tour, it's being played at every show. It's a 'warmup show' so I'd imagine they'd still play it.

you're not gonna get educated answer for this, i just think that they want to surprise the Asian audience, and if they will play it tomorrow (which is possible of course) there's no surprise. Edited by Skipees

you're not gonna get educated answer for this, i just think that they want to surprise the Asian audience, and if they will play it tomorrow (which is possible of course) there's no surprise.

I don't think that all the Asian fans follow every show they play. 99% of the audience don't know what they're going to play and what they have played before (not only Asia, everywhere).

And why should they 'surprise' the Asians? Doesn't make a lot of sense...