WAAF Boston Talks w/ Dean & Robert DeLeo

hahninator

Dean and Robert DeLeo from STP recently called in to WAAF Boston and talked with them about Stone Temple Pilots, Chester and more. Listen to the full interview here.

Here is what they had to say:

- In regards to how they write new music, most STP songs start out on acoustic guitars and evolve from there.

- They have been talking to Filter for quite a few years about doing a tour together. Both bands are good friends, especially after the Army Of Anyone project.

- STP approached Chester about him joining the band, as we already knew. There was no "panic" by the Linkin Park band members because they wish the best for Chester. Chester said that if they wanted to just tour and play the old songs, they shouldn't do it. Both he and STP agreed that it was best to honor the past as well as to write new music and move forward as a band.

- They didn't want to create a new band or new band name, they wanted to keep going as STP but make new music with Chester.

- There are songs that they weren't able to play live with Scott Weiland that they will play live with Chester.

- They are releasing a 5 song EP this fall.

- Chester is currently in the studio with them. A song of Dean's was worked on with 'Out Of Time' but wasn't finished, so they are finishing that song and three more. Since a fifth song was not mentioned, we can assume 'Out Of Time' will be on the EP.

- Dean said between now and September, they have to finish the EP, they have to rehearse for the tour, Dean is going on tour with Peter Frampton in August, and Linkin Park is recording music right now too, so there are a lot of time constraints on the band.

- STP is interested in making a full album, but with time constraints with Linkin Park, family and touring, it's difficult to make a full record right now.

Thoughts?

- There are songs that they weren't able to play live with Scott Weiland that they will play live with Chester.

finally some good news for STP fans.

- STP is interested in making a full album, but with time constraints with Linkin Park, family and touring, it's difficult to make a full record right now.

this "right now" can last forever, but EP it's good enough. also it's a good chance to see how things will work for Chester to be a singer of two bands simultaneously.

- In regards to how they write new music, most STP songs start out on acoustic guitars and evolve from there.

I cannot explain how EXCITED I am about all of this. I really liked Out of Time, and if they did that while trying to hide out and in short time period, then I can't wait to hear what the EP will sound like.

I can already tell I'm not going to be happy with only 5 songs, but will be wanting a full album ASAP.

hahahahahaha

STP is holding up the next LP album.

(Sorry, had to do it.)

LIVING THINGS proved the albums need to be held up. And I'm fine if Chester is doing a more grunge rock with STP. Hoping they keep his voice raw and underproduced! (Forever bitter at Howard Benson)

LIVING THINGS proved the albums need to be held up. And I'm fine if Chester is doing a more grunge rock with STP. Hoping they keep his voice raw and underproduced!

Triple This. STP style fits to Chester's voice.

I highly doubt that as Shinoda writes a majority of the Linkin Park music.

Actually, Brad and Mike both write a lot of the Linkin Park music together. But all of the band members have a say, it's a six piece band, and each member has their fair share of what is put into the music. The band changed with Minutes To Midnight, and starting giving each member a lot of input. Chester also doesn't just come and record vocals for the song and that's it. He writes a lot of the music with the band. I don't get why I always see people here say that Mike is the one that writes everything, because he's not. If someone were to ask him if he writes the majority of all LP music, he would say no, each member is involved heavily.

I don't get why I always see people here say that Mike is the one that writes everything, because he's not.

because Mike is always there, he's there when each member records his parts. for example when Rob records the drums Mike is there but not (always) the rest, check the LPTV episodes with studio footage.

so it looks like he's doing everything.

Edited by Skipees

because Mike is always there, he's there when each member records his parts. for example when Rob records the drums Mike is there but not (always) the rest, check the LPTV episodes with studio footage.

so it looks like he's doing everything.

He is there a lot more, hence he gets producer recognition!!!

Pretty sure Mike writes all the lyrics as well. Chester just shows up to record vocals and give occasional feedback.

Actually, Chester writes lyrics as well. Do you guys ever watch making of's and interview's and pay attention to details in them? Lol. I wish Mike would read these comment himself. Mike doesn't write every piece of music and the other members just record it. Seriously.

Actually, Chester writes lyrics as well. Do you guys ever watch making of's and interview's and pay attention to details in them? Lol. I wish Mike would read these comment himself. Mike doesn't write every piece of music and the other members just record it. Seriously.

Mike writes a majority of the lyrics, only on occassion do him and Chester write together. New Divide and The Catalyst are examples of when Chester contributed

Mike writes a majority of the lyrics, only on occassion do him and Chester write together. New Divide and The Catalyst are examples of when Chester contributed

On the making of Minutes To Midnight, it showed Chester and the band doing band meetings a lot. It showed a whole section that explained that Mike and Chester work on lyrics together, and they were getting mad that the rest of the band kept telling them to change lyrics and stuff. I assume they do this for each album. A lot of the making of and LPTV stuff, we can see a lot of band members there and not just Mike.

On the making of Minutes To Midnight, it showed Chester and the band doing band meetings a lot. It showed a whole section that explained that Mike and Chester work on lyrics together, and they were getting mad that the rest of the band kept telling them to change lyrics and stuff. I assume they do this for each album. A lot of the making of and LPTV stuff, we can see a lot of band members there and not just Mike.

Mike creates the lyrics, and then the band pitches in to discuss what could be changed. They did things differently for recording MTM so your assumption isn't very accurate. You don't really see much of what you described in other Making Of's

Mike creates the lyrics, and then the band pitches in to discuss what could be changed. They did things differently for recording MTM so your assumption isn't very accurate. You don't really see much of what you described in other Making Of's

Chester created Dead by Sunrise because he wrote lyrics that he thought weren't Linkin Park songs. You're aren't giving Chester as much credit as he deserves

Chester created Dead by Sunrise because he wrote lyrics that he thought weren't Linkin Park songs. You're aren't giving Chester as much credit as he deserves

Seriously, I hate how people don't think that Chester does anything except record vocals at the end of the process. He does WAY more than that. Also, it's not like any of us know exactly what happens during LP's writing and recording processes. Only LP really knows, and I choose to believe Mike Shinoda when he says that all the band members work on music together.

He is there a lot more, hence he gets producer recognition!!!

it was example why it looks that he's doing everything. and with all the respect to Mike this is not FM album.

Edited by Skipees