LPU Meetups: China

RogueSoul

CKGN4ueUMAAE5NS.jpg

Better late than never, I guess! As it turns out, there WILL be a form of meet and greets taking place on The Hunting Party Chinese Tour! However, these are a bit different than normal. The M&Gs are only available to Mercedes-Benz owners and/or VIP members - not the LPU. These are taking the place of meet and greets on the Chinese Tour, and the attendance of the band members are not guaranteed, nor are they even mentioned.

Okay then.

However, LPU Meetups are taking place in select cities! LPU members in Shenzhen and Chongquing will be able to attend private fan gatherings in their cities. Again, the band members' attendance is neither mentioned nor guaranteed. It's better than nothing, I suppose...?

Linkin Park's The Hunting Party Chinese Tour continues in Shenzhen and Shanghai next week. Catch up on the happenings at the first show in Nanjing here. For updates on Linkin Park's live shows and news, follow us on Twitter!

Nanjing was basically like a mini LPU Summit. Well, a Mercedes Benz Summit. Soundcheck, Q&A session, M&G with the cool backdrop behind them.

With those M&Gs going on, I don't understand why no Meet & Greets for the LPU. Makes no sense.

So for the Chinese people the LPU subscription isn't enough aymore and they need to buy a car for being able to attend the M&G?

Unless making it exclusively is in the contract, I just don't get it.

I think Mercedes-Benz is sponsoring the tour. They probably had a big "exclusivity stick" up their asses (in typical Mercedes-Benz fashion) and wanted control over the M&G system in exchange for the money for the tour.

Mercedes obviously has some type of huge monopoly here on LP meeting fans, because they are hosting M&Gs at the shows for their car people, and they are even AT the LPU Meetups. They dumped huge money into the tour, which is probably why there aren't M&Gs. That's on LP at this point though because they'd have to make time themselves for the LPU and to make the LPU a priority. They probably only want to meet X amount of people before a show. I'm very surprised the Mercedes people were at the LPU Meetups event, though.

No autographs, only a group picture, and the Mercedes people went first. Wow.

Wow.

I feel so bad for the LPUers going to these shows, I know I'd be gutted.

Hopefully LP won't go forward with this money making model. I like to think they won't.

The government may have had a say in that too, no?

It's honestly wrong for us to speculate so much....I'm just trying to report the facts but a little speculation always slips in since LP is quiet on their end of it. They cut the M&Gs from 100 to like 50, then the 20 person ones (2008-2009), then back up to 30-50 these days.... HCT 2012 and IAVA 2014 had their own M&Gs of a few people with LP, plus the LPU M&G each show.

Due to the sponsorship with Mercedes this tour, they probably have a big Mercedes M&G before the show and LP is human...they probably get exhausted meeting 150 fans before a show, signing this and that, shaking so many hands. That's a lot of people. They might have just done the Mercedes M&Gs this tour while Lorenzo handles the LPU Meetups events and brings the band in for a surprise to shake hands, talk for a minute and take a group picture.

It's not the typical way of doing it but it's most definitely a one-time thing for China, as normal M&Gs are back in Europe.

Kudos to Lorenzo for doing the Meetups events, since it's obviously not his decision if the band WANTS to meet that many people before a show. At least this way, fans in 2 cities can meet the band.

It's honestly wrong for us to speculate so much....I'm just trying to report the facts but a little speculation always slips in since LP is quiet on their end of it. They cut the M&Gs from 100 to like 50, then the 20 person ones (2008-2009), then back up to 30-50 these days.... HCT 2012 and IAVA 2014 had their own M&Gs of a few people with LP, plus the LPU M&G each show.

Due to the sponsorship with Mercedes this tour, they probably have a big Mercedes M&G before the show and LP is human...they probably get exhausted meeting 150 fans before a show, signing this and that, shaking so many hands. That's a lot of people. They might have just done the Mercedes M&Gs this tour while Lorenzo handles the LPU Meetups events and brings the band in for a surprise to shake hands, talk for a minute and take a group picture.

It's not the typical way of doing it but it's most definitely a one-time thing for China, as normal M&Gs are back in Europe.

Kudos to Lorenzo for doing the Meetups events, since it's obviously not his decision if the band WANTS to meet that many people before a show. At least this way, fans in 2 cities can meet the band.

All good points. Meanwhile, Lorenzo was replying to emails rather quickly and I know b/c I emailed him about a merch shop issue I had and he was all over it. He's all over the place and doing well for the band and fans alike.

• 1 year later...

Now, Berlin has no M&G either.