LP Lipsynching

hahninator

What songs do you notice the band lipsynching on live?

IN MY REMAINS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UONRHZCn974

2:47 "one by one"

Phoenix appears to sing...he is audible at the very end of the song in some DSPs but it seems like most of the "one by one" stuff is sampled.

Iridescent:

gang bridge vocals are 100% completely sampled, Chester comes in when the drums hit full force and sings over the sampled vocals. I don't know if Mike's mic is completely muted or not but Rob, Phoenix and Joe singing is pretty much bullshit here lol unless they have their mics WAY turned down almost inaudible

When They Come For Me:

on the "hey hey hey"

Maybe The Catalyst on the "no"? Not really sure on this one. Chester does one of the "ho ohhh" parts each verse. Can't tell if Mike's "no ohhh" is sampled or not.

I don't think Joe's mic even is used on anything live lol, I think it's 100% for show.

IN MY REMAINS:

Iridescent:

gang bridge vocals are completely sampled, Chester comes in when the drums hit full force

When They Come For Me:

on the "hey hey hey"

Maybe The Catalyst on the "no"? Not really sure on this one. Chester does one of the "ho ohhh" parts each verse. Can't tell if Mike's "no ohhh" is sampled or not.

I don't think Joe's mic even is used on anything live lol, I think it's 100% for show.

IN MY REMAINS:

I agree on that one. Mike is giving backing vocals to Chester during that part of the song. Outside of that, he does sing the "Like an army, falling, one by one by one," part.

Iridescent:

Like AndOne said, it seems that only Phoenix, and maybe Mike, sing that part and Chester comes in later like in the studio version.

When They Come For Me:

Does When They Come For Me have the "Hey, Hey, Hey," vocals? I thought it was only Wretches and Kings. Do you mean Chester's part in between the verses? If so, then yes, that seems lipsynched for some of the band. Chester seems to actually be singing it, but Joe, Brad, and Phoenix are not. Source

The Catalyst:

It doesn't seem like it.

Joe's mic really is there for show. The only purpose I could see from it is an echo sound for his effects. Other than that, it seems to have no purpose.

Edited by Castle of Glass

IN MY REMAINS:

I agree on that one. Mike is giving backing vocals to Chester during that part of the song. Outside of that, he does sing the "Like an army, falling, one by one by one," part.

Iridescent:

Like AndOne said, it seems that only Phoenix, and maybe Mike, sing that part and Chester comes in later like in the studio version.

When They Come For Me:

Does When They Come For Me have the "Hey, Hey, Hey," vocals? I thought it was only Wretches and Kings. Do you mean Chester's part in between the verses? If so, then yes, that seems lipsynched for some of the band. Chester seems to actually be singing it, but Joe, Brad, and Phoenix are not. Source

The Catalyst:

It doesn't seem like it.

Joe's mic really is there for show. The only purpose I could see from it is an echo sound for his effects. Other than that, it seems to have no purpose.

Damn I meant Wretches. I think the "hey hey hey" is sampled there.

On WTCFM I meant the chorus chant Chester does...I know he sings his part and Mike's mic is on but the rest of the band seems lipsynched. I agree with you.

Agreed. If you go watch almost any performance of the song, you can hear Mike "singing" the part, but then Mike strangely comes in again at some points, adding a weird echo to it. It's obvious that it's sampled during parts of the song.

Yeah, the ending of WTCFM is definitely sampled. All of these are.

As far as if they are actually singing it but we can't hear them, who knows. I'd like to believe that they are all legitimately doing it with the samples to make it sound better, but we don't really have any way of knowing. Don't think the band would ever own up to it.

they say in interviews,we hate lipsynching ,but in catalyst,brad does sing a bit before going to play that "virus" named keyboard near mike,joe does too,but wretches & kings' hey hey is sampled ,wtb "blackout"?

What part of Blackout? The intro and bridge are sampled by Joe if that's what you mean.

I think it's really hard to tell what parts are actually lip-synched, it some cases it might be just the mic being turned down a lot in the mix while Phoenix/Brad/Joe is actually singing.

What we can say for sure is what songs have vocals that are part of the backing track. Those are:

WTCFM (heys during the outro, maybe the wordless chorus)

WFTE (Ohh's during the chorus; Joe's background part during Mike's verses is live I think)

WAK (heys)

Iridescent (gang vocals)

The Catalyst (No's and "God bless us/God saves us..." during the chorus; not entirely sure about that one)

Lost in the Echo (ohh's during the chorus, maybe also during the verse)

In My Remains ("one by one" during last chorus and outro)

EDIT: Also, I think during the WTCFM video that someone posted, Brad/Phoenix/Joe are definitely doing the hey's live, on top of a (pretty loud) backing track though.

Edited by JanekZech

I think they turn the mics low for brad,joe & phoenix,that's what coldplay do,& they've a background singer too,he's the 5th member of band,but not that much,also their drummer sings w/ chris,his mic is low,the guitarist also sings some parts,all low mics,I've deeply listened to their 2012 live dvd

IN MY REMAINS:

Phoenix appears to sing...he is audible at the very end of the song in some DSPs but it seems like most of the "one by one" stuff is sampled.

Phoenix and Brad both sing over the top of the backing track.

Iridescent:

gang bridge vocals are 100% completely sampled, Chester comes in when the drums hit full force and sings over the sampled vocals. I don't know if Mike's mic is completely muted or not but Rob, Phoenix and Joe singing is pretty much bullshit here lol unless they have their mics WAY turned down almost inaudible

Going through a few different performances, sometimes you can hear Chester and/or Mike before the drums come in, sometimes you can't. Never really been able to pick out the other guys' voices though. Also, you mean Brad, not Rob.

When They Come For Me:

on the "hey hey hey"

I've seen Brad do that part occasionally, but not very often.

Joe's vocals on the last chorus of Waiting For the End are CLEARLY audible on just about every performance of that song dating back to its debut on 9/7/2010. You can also hear him on The Catalyst from the VMAs pretty well.

On WTCFM I meant the chorus chant Chester does...I know he sings his part and Mike's mic is on but the rest of the band seems lipsynched. I agree with you.

Wretches "hey hey" part is sampled but again, the band sings over the top of it.

WTCFM chorus is legit, not even a backing track there. There's rehearsal footage of Brad singing it along with Chester and Joe and stuff like that (although Brad likes to avoid singing sometimes - I've seen a couple live videos where he puts his face up to the microphone to make it look like he's singing, and his mouth isn't even open LOL). You can also clearly hear Phoenix on the last couple repeats of the outro on a lot of recordings (he does the different "ahh-ahh-ahh" part that comes in during the last chorus, instead of the long sustained "ahhhhhhhhh" part).

The question I want to raise is, why would the band flat-out lipsync random parts of songs when they already use sampled backing vocals when it's clear nobody's singing them on other tracks?

There are also basically two discussions going on here, which tracks are potentially lipsynced and which ones use vocal backing tracks, whether they're sung over or not. I made a list of these when ATS came out but I need to update it. Hang on...

*Edit* K, done:

The Requiem:

Mike sings over album vocal track w/vocoder from off stage (not audible on most recordings, the original broadcast of Madrid 2010 is an exception).

Burning in the Skies:

"Ohh" backup vocals in chorus use backing track, sung over by Mike/Phoenix. This splits into a two-part vocal during the last half of the final chorus, not sure if they both stay on the main part and the second part is completely sampled, or if one of them takes the additional harmony there.

When They Come For Me:

End "hey hey" part is sampled, Brad occasionally joins in with it.

Waiting For the End:

"Ohh" backing vocals on first two choruses are sampled (this wasn't done during the first few performances of the song, it actually changed in the middle of the 2010 Europe tour, very noticeable on DSPs), sung over by Mike/Phoenix/Joe. All 3 of them sing the "main" part during the first chorus (since it's in unison there), but when it splits into 3-part harmonies in the second chorus, Mike jumps up to the highest part, and Phoenix and Joe stay on the middle part. The lowest part is completely sampled, with the other 2 parts also having a backing track that the guys are singing over. Strangely enough, the "ohh" parts in the outro are completely absent from the live version!

Wretches and Kings:

"Hey hey" parts are sampled, Mike/Brad/Phoenix/Joe sing over the top of it (Joe can be clearly heard on the Madrid show).

Iridescent:

Entire gang vocal section is sampled, full band minus Rob visibly sings over the top of it but generally aren't audible except for Mike and Chester on certain recordings.

Fallout:

Mike sings over album vocal track, his "live" vocals start off muted but gradually start to fade in about halfway through the song.

The Catalyst:

Gang vocals during first half of song are sampled, full band minus Rob sings over the top of the backing track (the backing track tends to be a lot quieter on this song than it is on some others, but it's still used).

Lost in the Echo:

"Ohh" backing vocals during choruses are sampled, Phoenix/Joe sing over the top of them but they only sing one part (the part that's present during the first chorus) - a total of 3 harmony vocal parts are added by the last chorus, with all but the "original" part being completely sampled.

In My Remains:

"One by one" backing vocals at the end are sampled, Brad/Phoenix sing over the top of them - Phoenix is very audible at the end of the song on certain DSP recordings.

Lies Greed Misery:

Backing track used for the vocoder effects found on Chester's voice from the album version.

Castle of Glass:

I THINK there's a backing track used for some of the harmonies during the last chorus? Brad and Phoenix sang them at the VGA/KROQ performances but Brad hasn't been doing any backup vocals on this song during the Australian tour, from what I've seen.

Edited by Astat

Iridescent:

Entire gang vocal section is sampled, full band minus Rob visibly sings over the top of it but generally aren't audible except for Mike and Chester on certain recordings.

Great list.

On this one, Chester must not sing it all the time. Referring to the staff emails you've been getting about something, we can confirm at least for that show he doesn't sing anything on that part.

I wouldnt say the guys Mics are completely turned off. They wouldnt go to the effort of soundchecking All 3 of the extra mics pre show (which Ive watched them do) if there just gonna mute them the entire show. I would say they are audiable but burried deep deep down in the mix of the songs :)