Could Linkin Park be forgotten?

NickDuffy

Linkin Park is a huge band. I can ask ten random people in my neighborhood if they've ever heard of Linkin Park, and i'm sure six people will say they have. At least six people. The thing is, they aren't as popular as they used to be. In this day and age there are millions and millions of bands competing for the spotlight. You have manufactured pop stars pumping out singles every month, and it's so hard to keep track of what's even going on in this industry anymore. The problem with music today is it's too forgettable. No offense to people who enjoy the following bands but is anyone going to remember Nickelback, Hinder, Puddle Of Mudd, and others down the road? These bands are forgettable at best.

Linkin Park is a band that blended many genres together at once to create a unique sound. A sound so rememberable that if you heard three seconds of any of their songs on the radio, you would know it's them. Now their music is starting to get softer and more abstract. Songs with structures so confusing, you would need a map to find out where you are. Their albums are becoming journeys. This was popular back then, but now, albums like these are often ignored in favor for three minute long pop songs about dancing and relationships.

Will Linkin Park be forgotten years from now, if not any sooner?

Edited by NickDuffy

At the moment with the amount of material they have, i think they will sadly. But who knows.. Linkin Park may bring out an album in the future that is extremely popluar and changing peoples views on them. They are pretty cemented in history for some of the stuff they have already done.

Its a hard question to answer as I think their courier is far from over. Ask me this again in 20 years :P

I think they will...sadly. LP is my absolute favorite band and always will be, I have two huge LP tattoos and a ton of Chester's tattoos (Don't hate in this thread). But I think they don't have a lot of music released that really IMPACTED the music scene and I'm not sure if they'll be in the 'fame spotlight' with their new direction. Even though the music is good and it sells, it doesn't necessarily mean they will be pop stars. If that makes sense. I think Hybrid Theory will be remembered for a long long time though.

They won't be forgotten for one simple reason- Hybrid Theory. It was pretty much the biggest rock album of the last decade.

Hell, people will probably think of them as a nu metal band, even in 20 years.

+1

HT and Meteora will be remembered, but i reckon MTM and ATS sadly will be in a decade or so...

if your ordinary person on the street was asked about them, they'd probably assume that since meteora, the band's split up or something, since they haven't heard of LP on such a massive scale since about 2003.

they might end up as one of those weird bands you see reviews of where it's like their 15th studio album, where the reviewer says "if you already know them, you'll like this...". in years to come I think it's only going to be really big fans (like us!) who'll keep paying for their music and live shows. for everyone else they'll just be a nostalgia thing

they'll be like say...Sum 41, where all the casual listeners know about like "Fat Lip" and ... can't actually remember the name of the other one (prove my point much?). songs like In The End and Somewhere I Belong will be those BIG tracks people remember, but as LP seem intent on being different on each of their relases, I think they'll lose that popular appeal - like you said, 3 minute songs about dancing!

that said, it doesn't bother me hugely, because i know i'll still listen to them!

Edited by lgraham

Unfortunately everything has an end, as much as I would hate to say it, with today's music industry focused on other genres of Music I doubt LP will be relevant in some years or so to come. Though I don't like most music put out nowadays, I guess it's what's most popular to other people as a whole in general. But I'm hopin to still rock out to there music as many years to come :)

They won't be forgotten for one simple reason- Hybrid Theory. It was pretty much the biggest rock album of the last decade.

Hell, people will probably think of them as a nu metal band, even in 20 years.

LP will always be a ''nu-metal'' band, sadly, to many critics and about everyone else who isn't a LP fan. I've never seen anybody that isn't a LP fan stick up for them and say they aren't a nu-metal band, it's really only the band themselves and fans that say they aren't a nu-metal band. I'm not saying they are a nu-metal band, but that's what idiots like to say, and most critics and shit are in fact idiots. Anyone that isn't a LP fan is kind of an idiot, IMO, but I'm not gonna get into that. LOL.

LP will always be a ''nu-metal'' band, sadly, to many critics and about everyone else who isn't a LP fan. I've never seen anybody that isn't a LP fan stick up for them and say they aren't a nu-metal band, it's really only the band themselves and fans that say they aren't a nu-metal band. I'm not saying they are a nu-metal band, but that's what idiots like to say, and most critics and shit are in fact idiots. Anyone that isn't a LP fan is kind of an idiot, IMO, but I'm not gonna get into that. LOL.

Yeah man, I hate when the people rotulate a band like Linkin Park, and neither the pseudo-fans.

Yeah man, I hate when the people rotulate a band like Linkin Park, and neither the pseudo-fans.

I know. Linkin Park deserves way more credit from critics and the music business, but sadly they're usually left short for some reason. LP has the sales, they've sold like 75 million albums or something and that's only off of a couple releases! 4 albums in over 10 years! LP is really skilled and good. Idk.

if Lp still made nu- metal they wouldn't be forgotten

Every post i see from you or Geki about comparing HT to ATS or something like that.. i think your one of the people stuck in hybrid theory days.

Well, the more unpopular they get, the more the ticket prices go down :D

Well, not really. U2's last tour was $40 for silver or gold tickets and they are bigger than Linkin Park. Edited by Ginger

Every post i see from you or Geki about comparing HT to ATS or something like that.. i think your one of the people stuck in hybrid theory days.

No, don't get it confused, I'm stuck in the MTM days. Every bad post I made about ATS was comparing it to MTM and how much I loved MTM.

actually i don't compare HT to ATS. i make post abotu how i want nu-metal back but i basically never compare it to ATS.

sometimes i do but mainly my posts are about one or the other not both

I wouldn't say they will fall into obscurity but that they would end up like bands such as The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, and Def Leppard where they will still play and sell out big venues all over the world but their album sales will dwindle. In other words, they'll still be a recognized act because of "name value".

I wouldn't say they will fall into obscurity but that they would end up like bands such as The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, and Def Leppard where they will still play and sell out big venues all over the world but their album sales will dwindle. In other words, they'll still be a recognized act because of "name value".

ok, you totally said what i tried to say in a way shorter time...

points to you ;) haha