ATS Era DSP's

stl22

It seems like Since ATS came out the DSP's have been sounding different, in a bad way in my opinion. They Sound more bass-y, and the guitar, etc. have sounded.... deeper. Everything sounds more far away. I much prefer the DSP's from previous years. Anyone agree with me or have an explanation why this is?

It sounds to me like Pooch has been leaving the crowd mics open in a more natural manner on the more recent stuff. On the earlier DSPs, whenever the crowd would get really loud, you could tell it had been brought up in the mix because you'd hear the venue's natural ambiance bleeding back into the mix (the result of the crowd mics picking up the sound from the PA speakers), which caused some odd reverb/noise cancelling side-effects. That's been kind of smoothed over lately, but when you leave the crowd mics open all the time like that, it creates a much more open sound like what you're describing.

It sounds to me like Pooch has been leaving the crowd mics open in a more natural manner on the more recent stuff. On the earlier DSPs, whenever the crowd would get really loud, you could tell it had been brought up in the mix because you'd hear the venue's natural ambiance bleeding back into the mix (the result of the crowd mics picking up the sound from the PA speakers), which caused some odd reverb/noise cancelling side-effects. That's been kind of smoothed over lately, but when you leave the crowd mics open all the time like that, it creates a much more open sound like what you're describing.

This! A good example IMO would be the start of Shadow of the Day for every song. You know how it starts off with the just the beat and the guys get the crowd clapping. You'll notice the sound is very reverb-y (If thats even a word). Once Mike starts the bass line of the Piano you will hear Pooch fade the crowd out so it sounds like the studio session. You'll notice the beat sounds a lot better then. Check it out, It happens on most DSPs.

I suppose what you are saying makes sense, but for example, I was just listening to Given Up from Kansas City, and even on the chorus where there is almost no crowd noise (and no real reason for it). Actually, Chester's vocals sound VERY clean, like cleaner than past years, and the guitar part still sounds very different from 07-08 DSP's (haven't heard any '09). Like if I turn the EQ to Treble Booster on my iPod, it helps a little. Is that just to make it less drastic when the crowd mikes are turned up in the mix?

For 2007, I totally agree. But I think 2008 souns fine, the PA reverb is way less obvious.

I agree with stl22, in my opinion the DSPs recently have sounded very different in relation to the past ones. When I listened to the Manchester DSP from 2010 and comparing it to my 2008 Sheffield DSP, I beleive that the Sheffield one sounds much better and like the show actually was, compared to the more recent ones.

It would also be much better being able to hear the crowd more, like that in the previous years.

Edited by Strandty

I don't listen to the ATS Era DSP's much because I don't like the way they sound. I listen to ATS+ because it sounds awesome. I like the way the older DSP's sound better though. Like 07-09.

I *HATE* the way the crowd noise has been mixed, at least for the ATS North American tour. The crowd is either super loud for 5 seconds (then abruptly "faded" out) or non-existent. For some bands this wouldn't be an issue but LP have such a sing-a-long aspect to their shows that the mixing is a big black eye on the DSP's.

Is the DSP for Nova Rock 2011 available yet? I've bought it 2 weeks ago but I still didn't get the download link.

Yes, it is.

That sucks, that cover isn't included in the last DSP's for some reason :(

NovaRock is available. You bought it online? If you log in it should say "You have files ready to download".

I have NovaRock if that doesn't work. WTF @ the DSP's taking so long.

Yeah the crowd noise problem hasn't been fixed sadly. The worst ones are the 2nd and 3rd DSPs ever, the 2007 ones from California. Holy shit! Go listen to what I mean, the mixing of the songs where Pooch just CRANKS UP THE CROWD REALLY LOUD FOR 2 SECONDS and then back down makes the song sound so bad :( Thankfully now it's not as bad but it's still there to a degree like you said. But I promise it was way worse.

Regardless of how they are mixed, I hope we get the European summer 2008 tour DSPs. And anything else the band recorded...Rock am Ring 2007, etc.

NovaRock is available. You bought it online? If you log in it should say "You have files ready to download".

I have NovaRock if that doesn't work. WTF @ the DSP's taking so long.

Yeah the crowd noise problem hasn't been fixed sadly. The worst ones are the 2nd and 3rd DSPs ever, the 2007 ones from California. Holy shit! Go listen to what I mean, the mixing of the songs where Pooch just CRANKS UP THE CROWD REALLY LOUD FOR 2 SECONDS and then back down makes the song sound so bad :( Thankfully now it's not as bad but it's still there to a degree like you said. But I promise it was way worse.

Regardless of how they are mixed, I hope we get the European summer 2008 tour DSPs. And anything else the band recorded...Rock am Ring 2007, etc.

I would kill for the 2008 summer tour DSP's...such amazing shows...I really hope we will see them someday. It's one my huge LP wish-list, along with the 2006 Club Tattoo Anniversary BOW full show audio, and some more.

It seems to be a problem at the minute that you can purchase the shows online but you get no code - the same has happened to me with download so I've just emailed topspin to ask what the fuck they're playing at releasing shows that people have paid for and not sending out download codes!