Questions about LP Demos

ccf67

1.Xero's Demo Tape was recorded in 1997,right?

So,Stick 'N Move was recorded in 1997.

But the LPU9 version said it's in 1998,why?

(LPU9 version-->Xero's Tape version-->Runaway)

Mike said it's Runaway Demo in 2005 (in Fort Minor's Messenge Board) ,right?

Chester re-recorded the 4 xero songs,right?

2.The By Myself Demo is in 1999,right?

it's called "SuperXero",but before that,it's called "Sad" , right?

(Sad-->SuperXero-->By Myself)

And "Oh No" is the first POA demo, right?

But when was "Oh No" recorded? Can you guess?

(Oh No-->Points & Authority-->Points Of Authority)

3.Did Xero (Mark Wakefield) write & record some HT or HTEP songs?

like APFMH (Esaul) ,Crawling, In The End (Untitled) ,Carousel (Explode)....

("Coal" is the unreleased Xero Demo, like "Pictureboard".)

4.There is a painting of a baby,right?

Is this a updated version of the Xero tape cover?

Edited by franktaiwan

1. I believe 1996/1997. The LPU9 version could just have been a sample/structure demo that was planned to be in the finished product. They probably tried hundreds of different samples and layers before deciding on the final version of the song.

2. "SuperXero" was roughly 1998/1999. Sad is labelled as 1999. Same as above applies here I guess. No-one knows the "Oh No" recording date but as Astat once stated, it's believed to be the first stages of POA.

3. We don't know. Maybe some demo's were written as Xero but we cannot confirm this.

4. There was 2 baby paintings. Xero and HTEP. If I remember right, there's a 3rd baby inside the HTEP.

1.Xero's Demo Tape was recorded in 1997,right?

So,Stick 'N Move was recorded in 1997.

But the LPU9 version said it's in 1998,why?

(LPU9 version-->Xero's Tape version-->Runaway)

Mike said it's Runaway Demo in 2005 (in Fort Minor's Messenge Board) ,right?

Chester re-recorded the 4 xero songs,right?

The Xero tape was probably recorded in late 1996-early 1997, but it was definitely released in 1997. The Stick and Move demo on LPU9 was done AFTER the one on the Xero demo. The only part of Stick and Move that was recycled in Runaway was the guitar riff and the general feel of the beat, and the LPU9 demo is probably a transitional piece that was done after they had scrapped the original song, but before they had built up a new one.

And yes, Chester re-recorded vocals over the top of an instrumental version of the Xero demo, that was his audition tape for the band. We even know the exact date that happened - March 20th, 1999, because Chester's stated he spent his birthday in a studio recording the vocals for his audition tape.

2.The By Myself Demo is in 1999,right?

it's called "SuperXero",but before that,it's called "Sad" , right?

(Sad-->SuperXero-->By Myself)

And "Oh No" is the first POA demo, right?

But when was "Oh No" recorded? Can you guess?

(Oh No-->Points & Authority-->Points Of Authority)

Yep, it's pretty reasonable to assume that Sad and Oh No are the earliest versions of By Myself and Points of Authority, as they're the most undeveloped demos of both songs. I'd say Oh No was probably recorded around the same time as Sad, which would likely be early 1999, right around the same time Chester joined the band. Anything with Chester singing on it has to be from 1999 or later, as he joined the band in the spring of that year.

3.Did Xero (Mark Wakefield) write & record some HT or HTEP songs?

like APFMH (Esaul) ,Crawling, In The End (Untitled) ,Carousel (Explode)....

("Coal" is the unreleased Xero Demo, like "Pictureboard".)

Mark Wakefield is credited as a writer of A Place for My Head, Forgotten, and Runaway (as well as all subsequent versions of those songs on Reanimation), because those songs date back to the Xero days. There's also a BMI catalog entry for Pictureboard that credits him as a writer of that track too. That Xero live setlist going around is FAKE. It's been confirmed that In the End was written by Mike one night when he stayed at their rehearsal space alone, which was after Chester had joined the band and the name had been changed to Hybrid Theory. So Carousel was never called Explode either (nor was Part of Me called The Team). I'd assume Mark will be credited as a writer on Coal as well, just because of the timeframe it dates from, and LP has always been pretty consistent about crediting all the members of the band as writers of songs, even if they don't perform on them.

4.There is a painting of a baby,right?

Is this a updated version of the Xero tape cover?

Yeah, that's the painting on the wall in the Papercut music video, it's an updated version of the Xero cover. Nobody has any idea what happened to that painting though, one of the crew members on the set of the video took it home after the video shoot was done, and it hasn't been seen since.

Thank you,

you are kind men.

And it's sure that Esaul was written in Xero era.

But there is a demo:

Do you think it's real?

And Frat Party version is the first one of APFMH Demo, right?

And 8-track demo released in late-1999 (during they recorded Hybrid Theory)

9-track released in early-2000, right?

And She Couldn't became into In Yourself/Be Yourself in 2001, right?

Mike said for some legal reasons, they can't release the song, or perform the song.

What kind of the reasons?

They think strange? or some law reasons? (they used a b-box sample)

And also, Pictureboard is an unreleased Xero demo.

Mike only talked it once time in 2005.

Edited by franktaiwan

Thank you,

you are kind men.

And it's sure that Esaul was written in Xero era.

But there is a demo:

Do you think it's real?

Clearly fake.

And Frat Party version is the first one of APFMH Demo, right?

And 8-track demo released in late-1999 (during they recorded Hybrid Theory)

9-track released in early-2000, right?

Yeah, the one on Frat Party would probably be the earliest version. I'm not sure when the 8-track demo was released, but the 9-track was January of 2000.

And She Couldn't became into In Yourself/Be Yourself in 2001, right?

Mike said for some legal reasons, they can't release the song, or perform the song.

What kind of the reasons?

They think strange? or some law reasons? (they used a b-box sample)

I don't think She Couldn't and Be Yourself are related, I think I made a post right after She Couldn't came out that said something about the guitar parts being kind of similar, but they sound different enough that I don't think they're related.

The "legal reasons" Mike referred to likely have to do with the sample of "B-Boy Document '99" by High and Mighty that's used throughout the song. They probably never got legal clearance to use that sample. I also can't help but suspect that it probably falls under the category of "the band won't talk about anything Warner doesn't want them to talk about."

There aren't any known demos of Papercut, at least not released.

I looked on the LPUX CD notes and it didn't list any credits for Mark Wakefield on Coal. Interesting. It could be only a Joe/Mike situation but maybe that was before they started to give the credits to all band members on songs.

Highly doubt She Couldn't is related to Be Yourself. I'd be interested in playing an mp3 for Chester/Mike at a M&G of that and see what they have to say about it. I highly agree with Astat, I think She Couldn't can't be talked about because of the label/sample.

I think Pictureboard will be released someday.

There aren't any known demos of Papercut, at least not released.

I looked on the LPUX CD notes and it didn't list any credits for Mark Wakefield on Coal. Interesting. It could be only a Joe/Mike situation but maybe that was before they started to give the credits to all band members on songs.

Highly doubt She Couldn't is related to Be Yourself. I'd be interested in playing an mp3 for Chester/Mike at a M&G of that and see what they have to say about it. I highly agree with Astat, I think She Couldn't can't be talked about because of the label/sample.

I think Pictureboard will be released someday.

Pictureboard is a lie

lol

And yes, Chester re-recorded vocals over the top of an instrumental version of the Xero demo, that was his audition tape for the band. We even know the exact date that happened - March 20th, 1999, because Chester's stated he spent his birthday in a studio recording the vocals for his audition tape.

This is uncirculated material, right?

Unfortunately, yes. Only the one cassette exists and who knows if Chester even still has it.

I recall reading one interview where Chester said something to the effect of "that stuff's probably floating around on the Internet somewhere." Obviously it's not and there's no known source that would have it, but I wouldn't totally rule out that it might surface someday.