Chester's Voice

Tweak

Hey there, my first post so be kind.

Well anyway i keep noticing people complaining and generally making a fuss about Chester's voice. People say its weakening and he can't scream anymore. So i decided to do a very quick analysis of 2 performances of Faint. I chose Faint because they consistantly play it and it involves general singing and scream vocals.

I compared Rock am Ring 2004 with Rock And Coke 2009. Now Both these concerts i assume are not edited like Live in Texas and Milton Keynes obviously is so there no good for this. Now after listening to the 2 preformances i conclude that his voice really is not any different. Like his screams in 2004 were a little more intense but really there is not much of a difference.

So now i think, his voice is almost the same in 2009/10 as it was in 2004. So why do people claim he is loosing his voice?

The answer actually has nothing to do with chester. Linkin Park has changed it's style sonically. The new softer rythems Linkin Park produces incourages softer vocal performances by Chester. I think his degrading voice is more illusion then fact.

However i will not argue about alot of the 2008 performances, Chesters voice was weak. I guess it is a product of too much touring. But in 2009/10 his voice is almost the same as 2004.

Discuss.

for one you said live in texas and milton keynes were edited and they were not. You can easily tell this by listening to Leave Out All the Rest and In the End from Milton Keynes, and from listening to P5hing Me Aw*y and In the End from Live in Texas. P5hing Me aw*y is not the same version and you can tell Chester is off in In the End. to me he almost always seems off on In the End. But i agree that he sounds really good now, but in 2004 he sounded a tiny bit better. but overall i agree that he sounds good for both time periods.

for one you said live in texas and milton keynes were edited and they were not. You can easily tell this by listening to Leave Out All the Rest and In the End from Milton Keynes, and from listening to P5hing Me Aw*y and In the End from Live in Texas. P5hing Me aw*y is not the same version and you can tell Chester is off in In the End. to me he almost always seems off on In the End. But i agree that he sounds really good now, but in 2004 he sounded a tiny bit better. but overall i agree that he sounds good for both time periods.

LIT is SUPER edited. So is RTR.

Compare RTR to the DSP version of the Milton Keyes show.

for one you said live in texas and milton keynes were edited and they were not.

I lol'd. I've heard some good ones before, but wow.

LIT is SUPER edited. So is RTR.

Compare RTR to the DSP version of the Milton Keyes show.

I wouldn't call RTR "super" edited compared to the DSP. It's just remastered with a couple of the big flubs overdubbed (Mike's guitar going out of tune and him subsequently having to change it during the NMS intro, and his late entrance on the rhythm guitar part in Jigga What/Faint being the 2 biggest ones) and some minor pitch correction done to the vocals here and there. Nowhere near as edited as LIT is, I still suspect that LIT was just as much a studio creation as a live one.

Anyway, as for the original topic, the thing is, Chester was actually already starting to switch over to a less raspy style of singing by the time Rock Am Ring 2004 was recorded. It's a lot more obvious now, but if you were to compare Faint from RAR 2004 to say, Faint from Top of the Pops 2003, there's a big difference there. As best as I can tell, Chester's voice first started to change considerably around the summer of 2003.

first of all: LOL! at the guy who said live in texas and rtr werent edited, you should be a comedian. to all the people who are saying chesters voice isnt what it used to be, you are of course right. the guy has been going insane (in studio and on stage) screaming his damn lungs out, always trying to put in his best, for ten years! lets see any singer do that, voiceboxes, same as everything else in life, are always going to have wear and tear. its to be expected. chesters voice is still amazing i think. name one other singer who sounds like him? not to mention all the health problems the guy has had, and personal problems, we should think ourselves lucky hes still getting up there. im sick of people sitting there bitching about bands and how theyre not as good as they used to be, if ya dont think theyre as good, dont listen to it. simple as that. listen to what ya like. thats my 2 cents worth anyway.

Age def has it's effects on one's voice, and so will it have on Chester's. It's an undeniable fact. However, with different techniques, I'm sure he's still pretty much able to pull everything he did before off. Listening to Crawling in 2010 compared to 2000, he does the exact same notes, but gives it more a classic approach, rather than his raw voice he used to use. Btw, 2007 => Given Up. Wouldn't really call that "weakened", so mainly it's people who dislike the new direction the band is going, and the new use of Chester's voice that fuel the opinions.