The New Gear

Pez

Well I know some of you (Like me and defiantly astat) are real Muso Tech heads and like to see whats the latest gear the boys are using. So i though we can open up a thread and discuss it.

Well as you know the guys have played 2 or so shows now and weve seen a lot of new additions to the rigs.

Heres what Ive noticed so far.

-Pictures of Joes new setup was put on his site. Not sure what is what yet.

-Mike has gotten rid of the Korg (No definate) but has replaced it with a Open Lab NeKo XXL, Pretty nifty stuff.

-A Vocoder i believe (possibley be korg) Not good with those things so if someone can explain it too me, it would be great. Also wtf is that a Aerial or something, looks cool haha

-The Band now has mics minus Rob (I believe), I also noticed that Mike and Chester have a new sort of wireless system. Maybe the same Audio Technica brand just a different model.

-Seems like they use a Hand Trigger system for Wretches and Kings chopped Guitar Part. Kind of looks like Roland Drum trigger pads but I highly doubt it. Seems like they are hooked up to a sampler or something and when hit it triggers the chopped guitar. Kinda of like what Rob has on his kit.

-Robs kit has expanded more. If he adds anything else he will be doing 360 circles in his seat to play songs. Looks like hes added more toms and maybe some more triggers, not to sure tho.

-Brad seems to have a set of Toms to play during the Bridge of The Catalyst. Havent had a clear look yet (videos arnt top notch) but might be able to tell sooner of later.

-Much more Vocal effects. Question, What effect is used on Mikes mic during Fallout?

Thats All for now.

EDIT:

Heres an image where you can see some things mentions above like Keyboards, Mics, Trigger system, Added tom to robs kit etc.

Edited by Pez

There's definitely some sort of drum pads being used on Wretches and Kings.

There's a pedal being used for Brad's 'solo' on Waiting for the End. (Most likely a Digitech whammy again.)

As far as Mike's vocal effect on Fallout, there's a vocoder being used. He is either playing each of the "voices" directly through a keyboard or he has some sort of octave effect along with the vocoder itself.

A vocoder is used to alter your voice and is popular in the group Daft Punk. It's mainly used to make you sound robotic but it has been used for other means. The way it works is you have two inputs for the vocoder, the vocoder effect being the output. One input is the device you are using to play the individual notes, and the other input is the sound that you wish to manipulate, Mike's voice in this case.

Ex:

Input 1 = Mike's Voice

Input 2 = Keyboard

Output = Vocoder

As far as the vocal effects used on The Catalyst, it sounds like a phaser. Rob Zombie has used a strange phaser effect during live performances that sounds similar to what could be pulled off on that song.

Joe's gear looks pretty normal to me except now he has a more compact set of samplers, a Korg Kaossilator, and whatever that Lemur device is. It looks like something video related but I can't be too sure. It's possibly something to do with the visuals they had behind them.

Edited by rav0k

Yep. Mike actually uses it on New Divide, you can see him holding one hand up to it at various points in the Myspace video.

But he only uses it to control his synthesizer, it would've been cool if he really played it.

Btw, there's a second keyboard on stage. Does anyone know who played it on which song? Pics:

http://newyork.metromix.com/music/essay_ph...2187343/content

pic #13, pic #15, pic #20

Yep. Mike actually uses it on New Divide, you can see him holding one hand up to it at various points in the Myspace video.

If Shinodas Using the Keyboard for the Main synthy bass notes (which he use to use the virus for. Then what the Theremin for?

But he only uses it to control his synthesizer, it would've been cool if he really played it.

Btw, there's a second keyboard on stage. Does anyone know who played it on which song? Pics:

http://newyork.metromix.com/music/essay_ph...2187343/content

pic #13, pic #15, pic #20

Thats the Virus Mike used to use on ND. I know he used in on the record (On the DVD it shows him using it in WFTE) but not sure what it was used for here.

Alsoo

Anyone know whats the new sampler Joe is using. It can be seen in ND pro shot vid from myspace. Looks pretty cool :)

If Shinodas Using the Keyboard for the Main synthy bass notes (which he use to use the virus for. Then what the Theremin for?

If he is in fact using the Theremin to control the synthesizer, it would be a great tool for a "transitioning" effect on a specific sound.

Transitioning as in, instead of pushing a different key on the keyboard, he can slowly fade out a note by using his hand or he can change notes gradually. On a keyboard, when you push a different key it's a done deal and the note changes. :lol:

As far as Joe's new sampler goes, it's a JazzMutant Lemur. Joe's version does not look like the one that is for sale at the moment. I think he either had it custom made or it's an older version.

Here is the one he has but I don't see it on their website. I imagine they are all capable of the same thing.

Posted Image

Edited by rav0k

• 3 weeks later...

Just a couple more updates I figured I'd throw in:

-Rob's basic drum kit is the same as it's always been, just with the addition of 5 timbale-like toms on a big stand to the left of his hi-hat (I'm assuming he uses them on When They Come For Me). I'm not sure, but he might have a 3rd floor tom now as well (he normally has one on either side of him but it looks like he may have added a second one on his right). I've also heard some reports that he's using a double bass pedal now, but I haven't been able to confirm that and I honestly doubt it.

-I THINK the purpose of the theremin that Mike's added to his rig is to function as a filter control for his synth parts on New Divide (probably hooked up through MIDI). If you watch the 2009 live videos of New Divide, he plays the keyboard part with one hand while manipulating the filter controls on his Virus synth with the other. Since he's not using the Virus anymore, he needs some other device to achieve that.

-Just a follow-up on the Waiting For the End guitar solo, it was recorded using an Electro-Harmonix HOG pedal on the album (seen in one of the LPTV episodes), but Brad's not using that or a Digitech Whammy for it live, he's actually using the expression pedal he's always had next to his pedalboard (which I've honestly never seen him use until now). I'm guessing it's controlling a pitch-shifting preset on one of his rack units, either the TC Electronics G-Major he's had for years or some new piece of gear. It functions the same way the Whammy pedal would, but it's still something different.

-As for the additional percussion parts, Chester has 2 rack toms and 2 floor toms on When They Come For Me. Brad has 2 floor toms and a snare for that song, and I believe he uses the same setup for the bridge on The Catalyst (he doesn't use the snare there though so it might just be the 2 toms on stage for that song).

-Additional backing vocals by other members (Joe, Phoenix, and Brad - I don't think Rob does any) are found on Wretches and Kings (the "hey hey" parts), When They Come For Me, Iridescent, and The Catalyst. Joe also sings harmonies with Mike at the end of Waiting For the End.

-Lastly, there was a slight change on how they play Wretches and Kings between the NYC and South American shows. In NYC, Chester played the pads during the verses, then he and Mike swapped for the choruses so Mike was playing them. Now, Mike goes behind his keyboard for the choruses and picks up the sampled part with the MIDI pads built into it, so Chester's the only one playing the drum-like pads now.

-Lastly, there was a slight change on how they play Wretches and Kings between the NYC and South American shows. In NYC, Chester played the pads during the verses, then he and Mike swapped for the choruses so Mike was playing them. Now, Mike goes behind his keyboard for the choruses and picks up the sampled part with the MIDI pads built into it, so Chester's the only one playing the drum-like pads now.

Ive got a feeling the boys might have the scrap those MIDI Pads soon. Sometimes chester hits it out of time or he doesnt hit it hard enough so it doesnt trigger the sample.

Ive seen heard this in every W&K performance so far.

I've also heard some reports that he's using a double bass pedal now, but I haven't been able to confirm that and I honestly doubt it.

Well in this photo and This photo I can only see a single Dw 9000

Also the extra floor tom to the right isnt there like you stated. Shows good example of his new toms to the left.

On another note:

Hows the tabs coming along?

Edited by Pez

Ive got a feeling the boys might have the scrap those MIDI Pads soon. Sometimes chester hits it out of time or he doesnt hit it hard enough so it doesnt trigger the sample.

Ive seen heard this in every W&K performance so far.

On another note:

Hows the tabs coming along?

-I've also heard some reports that he's using a double bass pedal now, but I haven't been able to confirm that and I honestly doubt it.

Isn't that a double bass on The Catalyst?

-I THINK the purpose of the theremin that Mike's added to his rig is to function as a filter control for his synth parts on New Divide (probably hooked up through MIDI). If you watch the 2009 live videos of New Divide, he plays the keyboard part with one hand while manipulating the filter controls on his Virus synth with the other. Since he's not using the Virus anymore, he needs some other device to achieve that.

He also uses it for When They Come For Me. Didn't know it would be possible to also control the filters through the theremin.

-Just a follow-up on the Waiting For the End guitar solo [...]

I was never able to tell apart what Brad is playing on the guitar and Joe is playing with his Lemur during the solo. A guitar cover (or a tab) would be cool :)

-Also, it seems like they go with a backing track for the vocals on The Requiem now.

Btw, does anyone know what song Joe uses his Kaossilator for?

Edited by JanekZech

Isn't that a double bass on The Catalyst?

He also uses it for When They Come For Me. Didn't know it would be possible to also control the filters through the theremin.

I was never able to tell apart what Brad is playing on the guitar and Joe is playing with his Lemur during the solo. A guitar cover (or a tab) would be cool :)

-Also, it seems like they go with a backing track for the vocals on The Requiem now.

Btw, does anyone know what song Joe uses his Kaossilator for?

As far as I know it's actually Mike singing and it's autotuned live if that's possible the way I described it.

Nope, not anymore.

Now im disappointed. I really liked that.

If he can do it for The Radiance then why not Requiem :(

ALSOOOO

Just looking at screen shot of Joes scratching library. He seems to be using Scratch live still but with a video plug in now and for his sample (Midi pad which is now the Lemur) libary is controlled by Kontakt (correct me if im wrong)

Edited by Pez

• 4 weeks later...

-Seems like they use a Hand Trigger system for Wretches and Kings chopped Guitar Part. Kind of looks like Roland Drum trigger pads but I highly doubt it. Seems like they are hooked up to a sampler or something and when hit it triggers the chopped guitar. Kinda of like what Rob has on his kit.

I can confirm that these are Pintech Studio Elite Pads. They showed the bottom of the pads on the EMA video during Wretches and Kings. Are they the exact same model? That I'm not sure of.

Edited by rav0k

An update on something I posted previously: The rack of 5 "timbale-like" drums that Rob has added onto his kit are actually just additional trigger pads for samples, they're just built into acoustic drum shells to make them look like real drums. He has a total of 9 trigger pads on his set now: The 2 regular Pintech ones that he's always had next to his hi-hat, a third one above his ride cymbal on his right (previously a third Pintech pad, but it's now in a drum shell), the big rack of 5 of them to the left of his hi-hat, and one more regular Pintech pad that sits parallel to the ground below those.

Also, I can confirm 100% that Rob is NOT using a double bass pedal. There are plenty of overhead shots of him on the EMAs footage that show he only has one "dot" on his bass drum for a single beater.

As for Mike, the second microphone he uses for vocoder effects is a Shure (I think the rest of the band's vocal mics are Sennheise'sr now), it looks like an SM57 but it could really be anything from their "7" line. He also has some kind of effects processor on the ground next to his sustain pedal for his keyboard, I'm assuming he uses that to control the handful of vocal effects he uses. And as for the theremin, it's definitely a Moog Etherwave, and I know he at least uses it on New Divide and When They Come For Me for various distorted/filtered synth effects.

The rack of 5 "timbale-like" drums that Rob has added onto his kit are actually just additional trigger pads for samples, they're just built into acoustic drum shells to make them look like real drums.

What songs he use these on?