The New Gear

Pez

• 2 weeks later...

One other thing I just noticed, Rob has 2 different tambourines now (easy to see on the picture of him from the Zurich DSP). He uses one on Bleed it Out and the other on Iridescent. Not sure what exactly is different about them, but you can tell by looking at them that they're different, so I'd imagine they're voiced differently.

• 3 weeks later...

I though I shall bump this to discuss what I saw at the summit.

First with Guitars. I noticed only 2 new Guitars. One for Brad and one for Shinoda. Both are fenders.

Heres Shinoda's,

Posted Image

Its a back up Fender for the Whiteish one he uses during WID and BITS etc

Brad's has A sunburst finished Fender Strat now, He uses it on Jornada Del Muerto.

You can see it infront of the roy tribute fender here

Posted Image

I asked both Brad guitar tech and Mikes whats new with their gear rack wise. They said not much is different. The only real thing mentioned was Delson now has the Octive shifter thing in his rack and then the EV-5 controls the shifting.

He also mentioned that Delson now has over 200 patches in the G-Major.

I just saw this pic. Its chester guitar in-front of Mikes rack

Posted Image

I cant tell from the angle but it looks like a DD-7 pedal at the front of the line. Also Its quite obvious yet I have no idea what its there for but thats just a good ol Roland Micro cube amp.

The TU-3 is for Kirk when he tunes the Gats before he sends them on stage but you can clearly see the Hog which was used heavily on the ATS album. You can also see it on this photo next to the pedal board on Brads rack

Posted Image

You can also get a glimse of Mikes pedals in this. But still means fuck all to me

Posted Image

On to Chester pads.

The pitchech pads are controlled by a Roland TMC-6. This allows the jacks to be converted to MIDI lalalala all techy shit.

I also think Robs pads are also controlled by a Similar device.

Posted Image

Also heres a pic of robs new pads incase anyone wants to see an up close look.

Posted Image

Well if you seen a Blackout live video you would notice Dave isnt playing a Bass. Hes actually playing one of these

Posted Image

It was fresh out of the box too because The empty box was in Daves Bass road case. Yeh so this is what he uses to trigger his bassy parts in the song. Along with breakdown samples.

Even tho I'm not a bass kind of guy (They look so ugly and unappealing to me :P) I though I would post this.

Posted Image

As I work for Roland who has Boss under its wing. I can tell you those last 2 white pedals far right are LS-2 pedals. There basic Line selectors. Nothing special. As for the other stuff. I have no idea.

Still unsure on what its used for but heres a pic of that little pedal board under Mike's keyboard

Posted Image

If anyone knows anything about it please post. This piece of gear is bugging me because I still have no idea why its there or what its used for or does. FILL ME IN!!!

Heres a few snaps of Mike's new keys. Its fucking massive!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Even tho the second pic is quite blurry, Those things listed are actually the song names. Mike basically hits on whatever song and it loads all his presets and his ready to go! One that got me was there was a Patch for Crawling. Maybe for his little piano thing during the reanimation intro but still puzzled me.

Last thing is I just noticed this.

Mike actually has 2 acoustics in his tour rig now. Maybe ones a backup or whatever but still there

Heres the pic

Posted Image

And yeah thats I all I've got to say :) enjoy....

Thanks for the pictures Pez! Here's what I've been able to discern from them:

-Brad's effects setup seems to be pretty much the same as it was on the MTM tour, just with the addition of the Electro-Harmonix HOG. The octave shifter effect could be something in the G-Major, or if it's another pedal, it's probably a Boss PS-5.

-From the picture of Mike's rack, I can see that he at least has the following pedals in it: A Boss delay of some type (not sure if it's the DD-7), an Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail, an Electro-Harmonix HOG, an MXR Distortion III, a Boss BF-3 flanger, and an Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer (the backup rig on the right has a regular TS-9 in it for some reason though). I can tell there's a second row of pedals in the rack (I see at least 2 more Boss pedals back there, a white and a blue one), but I can't tell what they are. I'd imagine the blue one is a CS-3.

-The pedal in question under Mike's keyboard is a Moog MP-201. I'd imagine he uses it to control his vocal effects on The Radiance, Fallout, The Catalyst, and the ending of Blackout.

-Phoenix's pedals are a Dirty Boy Bass Bully, an Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Plus, and a Z.Vex Mastotron, in addition to the Boss LS-2 (which I think is used to switch the effects out of his signal chain when he's not using them).

As far as the guitars go, not surprising to see a couple previously unseen guitars in there as backups, as they rarely end up being used on stage.

Also, I noticed that Rob now has yet another tambourine added to his drumset (that makes 3!), this one is mounted just to the side of his hi-hat, and he hits it in place of his snare drum during the first half of Burning in the Skies.

And as versatile as the Open Labs Neko XXL is, I'm really surprised that Mike's using a keyboard that only has 61 keys on it, and one with plastic keys at that. The Korg he was using was a full 88 keys, and it had "real-feeling" keys on it too. I'd argue that the Korg was a much better quality instrument, and I think it sounded better too, particular with the standard piano tones. Mike's keyboard sound at the end of The Catalyst is really wimpy. But I guess you have to sacrifice quality for versatility sometimes, and it's not the first time they've done it either...*cough*Randall*cough*

And as versatile as the Open Labs Neko XXL is, I'm really surprised that Mike's using a keyboard that only has 61 keys on it, and one with plastic keys at that. The Korg he was using was a full 88 keys, and it had "real-feeling" keys on it too. I'd argue that the Korg was a much better quality instrument, and I think it sounded better too, particular with the standard piano tones. Mike's keyboard sound at the end of The Catalyst is really wimpy. But I guess you have to sacrifice quality for versatility sometimes, and it's not the first time they've done it either...*cough*Randall*cough*

Thats exactly what I though. Im looking at it going wow Its only 61 keys. and then I hit the keys and think wtf its plastic. I wouldnt pay a good couple thousand Australian to play plastic keys.

• 9 years later...